PDA

View Full Version : heroes/folks you admire...

Mike70
10-Apr-2008, 03:47 AM
the word hero is a bit overused in our time, so i'll stick with people that i admire.

publius cornelius scipio - duh. the man we know as scipio africanus. one of the most brilliant and daring military minds ever. also a damn shrewd politician, that tends to get lost amidst his other acheivements. also a man willing to take a backseat to his little brother lucius, so younger bro could get some glory at the battle of magnesia at the expense of antiochus.

sextus pompey - a man whose name should resound down the centuries but is lost unfortunately. after the senate's final defeat at munda, sextus took over sicily and carried on the fight against caesar and the triumvirs until 35 BC. a true rebel.

vergil - arma virumque cano. need i say more?

catullus - the bad boy of the late republic. his poetry is by turns pathetic and utterly hilarious. his very frank discussion of sex in ancient rome has been entertaining folks for centuries.

james cook - you know the guy who has two space shuttles (endeavor and discovery) named after his ships? his logs are an amazing read and can be found here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/8106/8106-h/8106-h.htm

miltiades - the man who led the athenians and plateans to victory at marathon.

and grouped together:

empedocles, parmenides, and democritus - all 3 pre-socratic greek philosophers who laid the groundwork for modern science. democritus in particular sort of creeps me out. this was a dude talking about atomic theory centuries before the atom was even considered a part of nature. a dude way ahead of his time.

Terran
10-Apr-2008, 05:12 AM
Destro....(From GIJOE....not Cobra Commander that guy was a total doosh...)
and
Lex Luther....(He fought superman only with his brain)

Ahhh ****.... I dont even know when Im being, saracastic or not, anymore.... :shifty:

SymphonicX
10-Apr-2008, 08:06 AM
George Romero - nuff said

Rob Halford - the metal god....

My fiancee - she's a f*cking trooper.

Purge
10-Apr-2008, 12:30 PM
Ron Paul, Pat Buchanan, Tommy Lee and Jay Cutler (bodybuilder).

strayrider
18-Apr-2008, 02:23 AM
Panzer Ace Michael Wittman

Choas
18-Apr-2008, 03:42 AM
George Romero,and Ric Flair.

Chic Freak
18-Apr-2008, 02:40 PM
I take inspiration from so many people I'll probably have to break this down into sections!

Historical figures I admire:
Martin Luther King, Elizabeth I, anyone who attempted to stand up to the Nazis in WWII

Personal ones:
My nan (for somehow mentally surviving being a teenager in London in WWII and losing a couple of bfs)
My A Level Psychology teacher
My best friend from uni, Kerry

People whose self-promotional abilities I admire:
Marilyn Manson, David Bowie, Madonna

Models whose work I admire:
Industrial Bitch, Feisty Diva, Dita Von Teese, Ulorin Vex, Cattie, Bianca Beauchamp, Marilyn Manson again (I think he is an amazing model!), and KumiMonster, not least because she's 38, bald, and yet still manages to look this good:

http://www.net-model.com/UserImages/12008/1242008531-32027b.JPG

bassman
18-Apr-2008, 03:13 PM
My pop.:)

Tricky
18-Apr-2008, 05:51 PM
Angus young!the man gives more on stage than any other band ive seen!not a true hero though,just a rock hero.

Johnson beharry who won the VC a couple of years back is a true hero,as is anyone else who has won that medal since it was introduced (except idi amin who awarded it to himself :lol: )

_liam_
18-Apr-2008, 06:11 PM
Robert Holmes - Youngest serving officer in world war II, policeman, pipe smoker, science fiction writer - wrote for Doctor Who, Blakes 7, etc. All round bad motherf***er.

My Dad - aircraft technician with a steely disposition, looks like Tony Soprano & smokes clint eastwood style mini cigars, totally self made. Makes me wonder where he went wrong with me :lol:

Trent Reznor - American musician, started out cleaning the toilets in a demo studio, 3 billboard number one albums (and 2 by proxy by virtue of Marilyn Manson) later he is free from a record label and is currently netting something ridiculous like 750k from a self released album.

Danny
18-Apr-2008, 09:52 PM
guilliermo del toro, bitch knows how to make a movie.

capncnut
19-Apr-2008, 10:54 AM
Robert Holmes - Youngest serving officer in world war II, policeman, pipe smoker, science fiction writer - wrote for Doctor Who, Blakes 7, etc. All round bad motherf***er.
Nice one, Liam. ;)

p2501
19-Apr-2008, 10:38 PM
Bill Hicks, for simply speaking.

and

Carlos Hathcock, an extraordinatry man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

Mike70
20-Apr-2008, 02:19 AM
Carlos Hathcock, an extraordinatry man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

hathcock's longest shot for a kill record was recently broken by a canadian sniper in afghanistan who made a kill from 2,430 meters.

still hathcock was an amazing shot

Wooley
31-May-2008, 05:08 AM
Sam Woodfill, Alvin York, pretty much any one award the Medal of Honor, Victoria Cross or other awards for valor.

Dillinger
01-Jun-2008, 06:44 AM
Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Robert E. Howard, Brutus & Cassius, Robert E. Lee, Randy Weaver, Alex Jones, Clint Eastwood, Gary Gygax, George A. Romero, Ron Paul, Lennon & McCartney, David Allan Coe, Jerry Garcia, Stephen King, Michael Collins, Eamon De Valera, William Quantrill, Sam Adams, and a dude named Jesus.

p2501
01-Jun-2008, 11:06 PM
hathcock's longest shot for a kill record was recently broken by a canadian sniper in afghanistan who made a kill from 2,430 meters.

still hathcock was an amazing shot

True but that Canadian twat was backed up by four spotters. Further he was firing from elevation towards a target "below" him with a single shot .50 BMG.

Sorry but while i can respect the Canadian guys efforts and all that, Charlie would have butthurt that guy in a skills contest.

Deaths_Shadow
02-Jun-2008, 09:02 PM
Jimmy Carter.

CornishCorpse
03-Jun-2008, 05:50 PM
Hunter S Thompson.