PDA

View Full Version : does anyone here do work for the govt?

kortick
14-Apr-2008, 12:41 PM
I know this is an english site
so i am not sure if anyone here will relate.

i also dont know what people do for work
so i wont be shocked if no one is in the same field.
anyways....

i used to work for a company for 10+ years
that did work for the govt as well as others
that company got sold and i left and the govt client left too.
the work involved processing statisitcal information
regarding eveluations of different agencies.
in that time i got to know the people in the
dept that we did work for
in fact i go out with them for dinner friday nights
as they have accounts and none of us pay the govt does.

last week, they asked me if i would help them
so i said sure. then they asked if i would do the work for
them i used to do freelance because they were having problems
with their new vendor.

i said, no. no chance in hell. they said, "well do us a favor and submit
a bid". so i said ok.
i put in this bid that was so ridiculous you wouldnt believe it.

i asked for an outrageous amount of pay,
told them i wanted to be able to work from home at times
cuz i wasnt gonna not smoke while i worked, i said if i need
to go on site they have to provide a car and pay for gas,
and i wanted flexible deadlines to get the jobs done.
all stuff i figured they say sorry we can t do all that.

no.
they agreed to everything. i had an email from them with the
software on my computer and when i went in, they said my bid was
accepted and handed my package of material.
now i am getting around $150 per hour to do this work and i have
a 1 year contract. plus my regular job.

i signed a confidentiality agreement so i cant say
which part of the govt i work for

but anyways later today i will drop off the pack
i worked on this weekend and pick up close to $2000
for about 12 hrs work. and they better not have more yet.

does anyone do contract work for the govt?
and if so what story do you have.

Danny
14-Apr-2008, 03:57 PM
did a video last month for the goverment, swear to god i met a guy who looked ex-****ing-zactly like emporer palpatine.

more of an anictdote than a stoy but this dude was a dead ringer for him.

MikePizzoff
14-Apr-2008, 05:17 PM
Kortick, that is insane that you're getting paid $150 an hour. The most I've ever made at a job is $80 a DAY. I can't imagine getting 2 days worth of pay, for every 1 hour. Holy shiv.

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2008, 05:37 PM
Most I've earned so far is £200 for 8 hours work, and that was for an Arts Council - so I guess that technically kinda counts. In fact, I've done 3 videos in total (either on my own, or as 'second unit' camera man) for three different Arts Councils.

Done a bunch of other things, but those are the closest to 'gubment jerbs' ... I wouldn't half mind £1000 for 12 hours work, sheesh! :eek::)

SymphonicX
14-Apr-2008, 05:40 PM
I got paid £1000 an hour for three hours work last year....no joke....

unfortunately though, it was only three hours work and no more available after that....

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2008, 10:13 PM

unfortunately though, it was only three hours work and no more available after that....
What on earth for?! :eek:

It didn't involve favours down the back alley of some gubment building? :rockbrow:

AcesandEights
14-Apr-2008, 10:51 PM
Kortick, while I can't say that I have a good story regarding contract work for the government, I just wanted to say that it's great your client's talked you into the job.

Maybe this could be the start of something new for you? Well, whether it's a short-term gig or a long term jumping off opportunity, best of luck with it and I'm happy to hear about this, man!

p2501
14-Apr-2008, 10:56 PM

i thought you gave up performing abortions?

Danny
14-Apr-2008, 11:31 PM
i thought you gave up performing abortions?

*the universe screeches to a halt*

Most I've earned so far is £200 for 8 hours work, and that was for an Arts Council - so I guess that technically kinda counts. In fact, I've done 3 videos in total (either on my own, or as 'second unit' camera man) for three different Arts Councils.

Done a bunch of other things, but those are the closest to 'gubment jerbs' ... I wouldn't half mind £1000 for 12 hours work, sheesh! :eek::)

2 for 2 councils, close but you win. :lol:

but still, £200's the going rate in the video production industry, im allready starting one for a football club that pays that mcuh a day and compared to the job in macdonalds i was gonna take instead for 150 A WEEK, id say its good moolah;)

clanglee
15-Apr-2008, 12:23 AM
Dude!! Never worked for the Gov. But now I want to!! You can't say what branch you work for, but can you say what you do for a living usually? Sounds like something I might like to invest in myself. . . ;)

AcesandEights
15-Apr-2008, 12:37 AM
What on earth for?! :eek:

It didn't involve favours down the back alley of some gubment building? :rockbrow:

Yeah, SymphonicX, tell us what you did for all that money. You can even type it out if your jaw is still too sore for you to talk about it :p

clanglee
15-Apr-2008, 03:28 AM
Yeah, SymphonicX, tell us what you did for all that money. You can even type it out if your jaw is still too sore for you to talk about it :p

:stunned: ooohhhhhhhh

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2008, 09:59 AM
Aye that's the thing, you earn a week's worth in a day, but it's keeping those days coming - that's the problem. :D

If you go with BECTU rates or some other group's rates, it's more than £200 a day, that's for sure.

Even if you get lower, it's loads better than working a McJob.

SymphonicX
15-Apr-2008, 10:56 AM
:stunned: ooohhhhhhhh

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Feeling a lot of jealousy from my HPOTD friends!!!!!

hahahahaha

I'll cut a long, long story very short...I was working for a big broadcaster in the UK, and I was offered £150 a day to take logos off about 40 tapes and put end logos on there for the new name of the channel...it was supposed to be 12 hours work, x2 days = £300....however, the end stings were only like 5 seconds each, and we'd finished all the work in three hours...so three hours work = £300....however when the money got paid into my account, instead of paying me £300 for 24 hours work, they paid me for 300 HOURS!!! So I got three grand for 3 hours work...sorted!

spoke to the person who paid me, and she just sent me a mail saying "You owe me a very big drnik..."

Put down as part of a deposit on the flat that I bought.....hehe

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2008, 12:08 PM
You lucky f*cker!

Was it E4? :D

SymphonicX
15-Apr-2008, 12:24 PM
Nope....really not telling :) It's not worth my career....haha

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2008, 04:48 PM
*snaps fingers*

Drats! :D

strayrider
18-Apr-2008, 02:20 AM
Yes, I work for the county. State retirement, free health insurance for me, inexpensive insurance for my wife. Union protected.

The wage is average right now, but it goes up $1.50 per year until I top out ... and by the time I top out it'll be around $25 an hour. OT will be $37.50 an hour.

BTW: I don't pay a cent to Social Security. All of that money (about $80 a week) goes into a private retirement account in my name, however all of the cash I paid into SS over the past 25 years I will be able to collect on.

Good job.

-stray-