PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh...busy old day today...

MinionZombie
25-Apr-2006, 08:55 PM
Easy now folks,

Just thought I'd post here to sum up my day's activities...

As some of you may know I'm working freelance to get valuable experience with the Rural Media Company in Hereford, producing short films for the BBC Local TV Pilot. Anyway, today I was filming for it again, this time I was paired up with a reporter (who is also getting experience before she goes off to study journalism). So she did the people stuff and I shot/directed the piece (someone else will edit it, most likely this other guy who is ALSO getting experience with RMC).

Anyway, we were doing a piece on the Butter Market in Hereford (like a shopping center with individual stalls, like a market...duh). So we rocked up, did some vox-pops before getting an interview with the bloke who runs an organic fish business - then got more interviews with stall owners and a bunch of visual stuff to cut in over the audio bed.

Then we headed back to RMC, forgetting that a bloke hired by the BBC to document the making of BBC Local TV was coming down to film us filming - we were in a groove and it went well, these things are usually pretty snappy shoots. So we got back to RMC, went back out and did MORE filming whilst the documentary bloke filmed us. We headed back to RMC and me and the reporter (Abbey) were interviewed by him.

Not sure when his documentary will be shown or on which BBC service, but when I know I'll let people know/put online my recording of it if possible.

Tiring day, was up earlier than I'm used to (my days are skewed an hour or two later on both ends than normal people, ha!), trotted off to Hereford with a mere bowl of cereal under my belt and sat swearing at Sunday drivers ahead of me ... an hour of driving later I was in Hereford (25 miles ... in an hour ... *sigh*). Had to park on the top of the multistorey as it was chocka. By the end of the day I realised it was perhaps not a great idea to wear a coat and jumper for filming in the market - it looked like a crappy day when I set off, by the time we were in full swing summer had come early ... so after driving home (about 40-50 minutes this time) I had to have a good old scrub as I was sweating like a bitch, lol. Will get expenses though, which will just about pay for new antivirus software for my laptop which I got back from the shop yesterday.

Good, fun stuff - hey I got to hang out and film with a fitch all day - but still, driving to Hereford is such a joke - give us a bypass youze!!! - and I don't 'do' summer, ha!

Anyway, figured I'd post to let folk know.

Will be filming again on Saturday, with Barry, he'll shoot and I'll direct - and it's his film, lol. We're filming a re-enactment of an event during the British civil war when a priest was murdered by parliamentary soldiers ... which calls for a dozen folk in costumes and a blank-firing musket (which burned off a bloke's shirt at the weekend after he forgot it was loaded, :|). Should be fun though, guns and violence - at last!

Finally ... might have some really groovy news to tell ya'll soon, been having a lot of meetings lately concerning a big project ... so I'll post when I have some solid, post-able info. :sneaky: :cool:

HLS
01-May-2006, 04:01 AM
Easy now folks,

Just thought I'd post here to sum up my day's activities...

As some of you may know I'm working freelance to get valuable experience with the Rural Media Company in Hereford, producing short films for the BBC Local TV Pilot. Anyway, today I was filming for it again, this time I was paired up with a reporter (who is also getting experience before she goes off to study journalism). So she did the people stuff and I shot/directed the piece (someone else will edit it, most likely this other guy who is ALSO getting experience with RMC).

Anyway, we were doing a piece on the Butter Market in Hereford (like a shopping center with individual stalls, like a market...duh). So we rocked up, did some vox-pops before getting an interview with the bloke who runs an organic fish business - then got more interviews with stall owners and a bunch of visual stuff to cut in over the audio bed.

Then we headed back to RMC, forgetting that a bloke hired by the BBC to document the making of BBC Local TV was coming down to film us filming - we were in a groove and it went well, these things are usually pretty snappy shoots. So we got back to RMC, went back out and did MORE filming whilst the documentary bloke filmed us. We headed back to RMC and me and the reporter (Abbey) were interviewed by him.

Not sure when his documentary will be shown or on which BBC service, but when I know I'll let people know/put online my recording of it if possible.

Tiring day, was up earlier than I'm used to (my days are skewed an hour or two later on both ends than normal people, ha!), trotted off to Hereford with a mere bowl of cereal under my belt and sat swearing at Sunday drivers ahead of me ... an hour of driving later I was in Hereford (25 miles ... in an hour ... *sigh*). Had to park on the top of the multistorey as it was chocka. By the end of the day I realised it was perhaps not a great idea to wear a coat and jumper for filming in the market - it looked like a crappy day when I set off, by the time we were in full swing summer had come early ... so after driving home (about 40-50 minutes this time) I had to have a good old scrub as I was sweating like a bitch, lol. Will get expenses though, which will just about pay for new antivirus software for my laptop which I got back from the shop yesterday.

Good, fun stuff - hey I got to hang out and film with a fitch all day - but still, driving to Hereford is such a joke - give us a bypass youze!!! - and I don't 'do' summer, ha!

Anyway, figured I'd post to let folk know.

Will be filming again on Saturday, with Barry, he'll shoot and I'll direct - and it's his film, lol. We're filming a re-enactment of an event during the British civil war when a priest was murdered by parliamentary soldiers ... which calls for a dozen folk in costumes and a blank-firing musket (which burned off a bloke's shirt at the weekend after he forgot it was loaded, :|). Should be fun though, guns and violence - at last!

Finally ... might have some really groovy news to tell ya'll soon, been having a lot of meetings lately concerning a big project ... so I'll post when I have some solid, post-able info. :sneaky: :cool:

I checked out your website on the link in your post and i am quite impressed.:D

Danny
01-May-2006, 06:42 PM
aye same here, but damn im too lazy id rather be an obedient cameraman/borg drone for a while, so ,oh mighty MZ what advice do you have for kick ass dudes like me who are heading into there a2 in film and media next year, uni?, work?, career hobo?:lol:

MinionZombie
01-May-2006, 09:48 PM
Don't bow to the Generation Y laziness. We put everything off today so we can do it tomorrow - I put off finding experience all through uni...which wasn't that smart an idea really. However, I've fortunately landed on my feet thanks to the Rural Media Company - which is a great short cut to bypass all that tea-making wank which I was really desperate to avoid.

So first off, find experience, it's really important and helps you get a foot in some people's doors for longer than you will with just a degree and a smile - although uni was a great experience for me. I really learnt a lot from my course - I was doing it for the right reasons, to learn, not just to have an excuse to be at university - and uni life itself was an excellent experience.

If you choose the uni route, go somewhere with a good reputation in film/tv courses. Bournemouth and University of East Anglia (I went to the latter) are the top two film courses in the country. Beware of some other practical-focussed courses at 'lesser' institutions however ... you'll probably find a bunch of "run around with a camera" people. I know someone like that, who went off to such an institution (after dissing the idea when I was psyched about going to uni to do Film ... the guy is a total twat).

No doubt having some high level education behind you will help, in more ways that just the surface education, but I don't know what the loans situation is really like now that those Labour twats forced through that top up fees bullsh*t.

Experience & Education my friend. The two most important "E's" you'll ever need or get.

Danny
01-May-2006, 10:41 PM
bong.:cool: