PDA

View Full Version : Website building/ running advice needed! All help appreciated :)

Chic Freak
17-Apr-2008, 10:34 PM
Disclaimer: Feel free to point and laugh at my total lack of technical vocabulary and understanding.

I currently run my websites through freewebs.com, who provide templates and hosting and don't require that I understand any sort of webby coding to update them. Filling in a template page on Freewebs is basically as hard as filling out a Word document, and that's how I like it.

However, I now want to make my modelling site look more professional and I think obvious template + crappy addresses appearing at the bottom of the screen as pages load (http://anitadebauch.webs.com/about.htm, http://anitadebauch.webs.com/gallery.htm etc etc) is somewhat impeding this!

I bought "www.anitadebauch.co.uk" from Low Cost Names for a fiver or so ages ago, but it just makes "www.anitadebauch.co.uk" appear as the address to every page, so if you hit refresh at any point it sends you back to the homepage :| Plus, the actual page addresses (http://anitadebauch.webs.com/about.htm et al) still appear at the bottom of the page as it loads.

My congratulations if you've actually managed to read this far :stunned:

Anyway, what I'm after is:

1. anitadebauch.co.uk or anitadebauch.com as a 'proper' address for my site, with the other pages' addresses being anitadebauch.com/about, anitadebauch.com/gallery etc etc

2. to still be able to easily update the site myself, whenever I feel the urge, without needing much techie know-how.

3. a really good photo gallery system/ layout!

4. to preferably have the site on a UK server.

If anyone has any knowledge/ experience/ advice, it would be really appreciated :)

Thanks for looking!

Andy
17-Apr-2008, 10:52 PM

1. anitadebauch.co.uk or anitadebauch.com as a 'proper' address for my site, with the other pages' addresses being anitadebauch.com/about, anitadebauch.com/gallery etc etc

2. to still be able to easily update the site myself, whenever I feel the urge, without needing much techie know-how.

3. a really good photo gallery system/ layout!

4. to preferably have the site on a UK server.

1. I Really dont understand this question, your going to have to explain it further.

2. You can get many WYSIWYG editors like dreamweaver or frontpage, but your better learning HTML yourself.. its easy really.

3. try http://www.hotscripts.com/ for some good free gallery systems.

4. Google search for a UK host, however generally speaking, american hosts are usually cheaper and just as reliable.

Hope this helps ;)

DubiousComforts
17-Apr-2008, 11:12 PM
I bought "www.anitadebauch.co.uk" from Low Cost Names for a fiver or so ages ago, but it just makes "www.anitadebauch.co.uk" appear as the address to every page, so if you hit refresh at any point it sends you back to the homepage :| Plus, the actual page addresses (http://anitadebauch.webs.com/about.htm et al) still appear at the bottom of the page as it loads.

In order for anitadebauch.com to appear as the 'proper' address, with the other pages' addresses being /about, /gallery, etc. etc. you need to create a directory on the server with index.html being the main page and an index.html in each sub-folder. For example, about/index.html or gallery/index.html.

Not sure if freewebs allows you to do all that. If not, I'd suggest moving to a paid server which will allows greater flexibility.

Chic Freak
17-Apr-2008, 11:33 PM
1. I Really dont understand this question, your going to have to explain it further.

2. You can get many WYSIWYG editors like dreamweaver or frontpage, but your better learning HTML yourself.. its easy really.

3. try http://www.hotscripts.com/ for some good free gallery systems.

4. Google search for a UK host, however generally speaking, american hosts are usually cheaper and just as reliable.

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks!

1. Apologies again for my lack of terminology... what I want is for my pages' addresses to be:

anitadebauch.com
anitadebauch.com/about
anitadebauch.com/gallery

etc

2. I can read and write very basic html, but only enough to make something that looks like a Word document, and I kind of want something fancier than that ;)

3. Will check it out :)

4. I would prefer a UK host for boring legal reasons connected with having pictures of boobies online.

In order for anitadebauch.com to appear as the 'proper' address, with the other pages' addresses being /about, /gallery, etc. etc. you need to create a directory on the server with index.html being the main page and an index.html in each sub-folder. For example, about/index.html or gallery/index.html.

Not sure if freewebs allows you to do all that. If not, I'd suggest moving to a paid server which will allows greater flexibility.

Despite being called Freewebs, I do actually have to pay about £50 (~$100) a year for my site with them!

I don't understand your instructions, because I'm lame, but I will make a note of them and see if I can track down someone to do it for me! Either way, I need to move to a UK server anyway, so Freewebs is out.

DubiousComforts
18-Apr-2008, 03:00 AM
I don't understand your instructions, because I'm lame, but I will make a note of them and see if I can track down someone to do it for me! Either way, I need to move to a UK server anyway, so Freewebs is out.
If you're simply moving the site to a different server and will have access to the files on freewebs, send me a PM and I'll set up the site for you. It's actually way easier to just do it than try to explain how it's done. Once the sit is set up, you'll be able to edit everything as you like.

Danny
18-Apr-2008, 09:12 AM
ugh, im setting up my own filmmaking one right now since its mandatory for my degree and i can easily recommend dreamweaver or something, even a 30 day trail since you can do it like a word doc and edit the html simply at the same time. i made 3 pages of my site in about 2 hours so if you can get a demo of the program off the net that'd really help you out.
dont get me started on domain names, every variation of what ive been after has gone, i even tried my name and theres a surprsing amount of people allready working in film and tv with the name danny smith, i actually convinced a freind of mine that it wasnt "some other" danny smith on the family guy credits.
course this is a guy who didnt get the joke i told the other day about a "doc brown travel pass" for busses that goe 88 miles to anywere":lol:

Chic Freak
18-Apr-2008, 09:21 AM
If you're simply moving the site to a different server and will have access to the files on freewebs, send me a PM and I'll set up the site for you. It's actually way easier to just do it than try to explain how it's done. Once the sit is set up, you'll be able to edit everything as you like.

That would be awesome, thank you so much!

I will figure out what server would be best and get back to you *kisses*

DubiousComforts
18-Apr-2008, 08:26 PM
dont get me started on domain names, every variation of what ive been after has gone, i even tried my name and theres a surprsing amount of people allready working in film and tv with the name danny smith, i actually convinced a freind of mine that it wasnt "some other" danny smith on the family guy credits.
If you're creating a web site to promote your film making skills, why on Earth would you use your name in the domain? Nobody will ever find you by your name. Instead, use a word or phrase that describes the skill that you wish to promote.

Andy
18-Apr-2008, 09:10 PM
That would be awesome, thank you so much!

I will figure out what server would be best and get back to you *kisses*
I would offer to help you out setting up and stuff but unfortunatly i have more than enough on my plate at the moment, dubious is right, you need to set up directories on your server and place an index file in each directory. that would fix your problem in point 1.

Im on MSN and available here and through email if you have any more questions, im happy to help as much as i can, but i would take dubious up if i was in your position.

If you're creating a web site to promote your film making skills, why on Earth would you use your name in the domain? Nobody will ever find you by your name. Instead, use a word or phrase that describes the skill that you wish to promote.

Thats what metatags are for my friend :)

DubiousComforts
18-Apr-2008, 09:44 PM
Thats what metatags are for my friend :)
Not anymore since the major search engines sold out to advertising. ;)

Danny
18-Apr-2008, 09:50 PM

Because theres two other "underground productions" allready out there, an american record label, a swedish graffitti magazine and my own, just want it to be clear yknow?

DubiousComforts
19-Apr-2008, 12:54 AM
Because theres two other "underground productions" allready out there, an american record label, a swedish graffitti magazine and my own, just want it to be clear yknow?

These are available:

UNDERGROUND-FILM.COM
UNDERGROUND-PRO.COM
UNDERGROUND-VISUAL.COM
UNDEGROUNDPICTURES.COM
VIDEO-UNDERGROUND.COM

That took about 10 seconds of searching. The possibilities are endless.

C5NOTLD
19-Apr-2008, 01:20 AM
Consider GoDaddy.com (not UK base) but their website design is easy to do with options and adding photos is a breeze.

Chic Freak
19-Apr-2008, 02:50 PM
Im on MSN and available here and through email if you have any more questions, im happy to help as much as i can, but i would take dubious up if i was in your position.

Cool, thank you, I will definitely bear you in mind :)

I just bought 14 months with servage.net as per recommendations from a couple of photographers, so I'll see how I get on with them! I've bagged anitadebauch.com but there's nothing there yet :)

Woohoo, I think I finally figured out how to do it... and it only took me an hour!!!

anitadebauch.com/bio (http://anitadebauch.com/bio) :D