PDA

View Full Version : Minor Earthquake in Illinois

ProfessorChaos
18-Apr-2008, 11:19 AM
I was awake at about 4:30 this morning and thought my upstairs neighbor had brought a chick home or something and was getting super-freaky, but then my whole building started rumbling, and i know it was either dinosaurs moshing in the streets or an earthquake.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351698,00.html

I live in the St. Louis area, and the epicenter of the quake was a little over 130 miles from here, which is right about where I'm from originally. It was a 5.2 on the scale, and they say that it was felt as far as Chicago. Anyone else feel this one?

DubiousComforts
18-Apr-2008, 04:16 PM
now they're saying the epicenter was actually my hometown...neat-o!:cool:
Okay, what have you been up to? :D

Skippy911sc
18-Apr-2008, 04:58 PM
I live about 60 mile east of the epicenter and it scared the hell out of me! It was a 5.4 on the Richter scale and then later today we had an after shock of 4.5...I have a slate roof on my home and it was clapping...I freaked and ran around trying to gather the kids...I think the earth opened up to let the Zs out ;)

MaximusIncredulous
18-Apr-2008, 11:43 PM
This quake have anything to do with the New Madrid fault line? Being a Northeastener, I've always been a bit worried about Maddie shaking things up after reading about the 1812 quakes, especially since there are no earthquake construction standards here.

ProfessorChaos
19-Apr-2008, 01:39 AM
no, this was actually on the wabash fault line, which i'd never really heard of before today.

one of my buddies from back home (living dude, who actually is down south at the moment) had some damage to his chimney.

DeadJonas190
21-Apr-2008, 06:14 AM
It was felt in Detroit too. I woke up that morning for no apparant reason around the time the news said the quake too place, so I am assuming the shaking woke me up.

Skippy911sc
21-Apr-2008, 01:53 PM
We keep getting hit with aftershocks as well...there was one last night around 12:30 that hit 4.5 on the Richter scale. This would be very exciting and fun...if I rented. ;)

ProfessorChaos
21-Apr-2008, 03:19 PM
heard about that aftershock, but didn't feel it myself...i do rent, so i'm kinda liking all the excitement...as long as the big one doesn't hit and fu(k up me and my meeting with GTA4 next week.:lol:

Mike70
21-Apr-2008, 03:34 PM
We keep getting hit with aftershocks as well...there was one last night around 12:30 that hit 4.5 on the Richter scale. This would be very exciting and fun...if I rented. ;)

it is some giant monster trying to rip through the earth in its efforts to break free and devour carbondale.:lol:

Skippy911sc
21-Apr-2008, 05:41 PM
I think carbondale was lost years ago...this is centered more on the east side of Illinois...maybe the creature wants paducha or evansville

ProfessorChaos
22-Apr-2008, 03:54 AM
lots of little tremors. wonder when the next big one will hit...

living dude
24-Apr-2008, 03:34 AM
the big one of '08 knocked over most of my six milk crates of cds

when i was in high school we got a day off because nostrel dumass predicted that the mississippi river would become the gulf of michigan.