PDA

View Full Version : Roadside picnic, one for stalker fans

Danny
19-Apr-2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.cca.org/cm/picnic.pdf

Heres a free download of roadside picnic, the novel that stalker is based on, it was a screenplay draft for a 70's film called stalker but ive had no luck finding that, i just started this and its pretty cool.

MinionZombie
19-Apr-2008, 12:46 PM
I got Roadside Picnic for Xmas, great read.

So I've read the book, watched the movie, played the game - ta-da..."ZONE WHORE". :D

Danny
19-Apr-2008, 12:50 PM
im enjoying the game but for someone used to halo or half life fps game sits so f-ing hard on the novice setting for me. but its still great though, im at page 40 of the book, great read, id put it up there with i am legend myself, if you like roadside youll definitely dig dean koontz's the taking, i read it in one sitting.
but yeha, i can see why you were 3rd floor flame throwing for stalker, im not sure if i prefer stalker or bioshock more though.

MinionZombie
19-Apr-2008, 01:37 PM
but yeha, i can see why you were 3rd floor flame throwing for stalker, im not sure if i prefer stalker or bioshock more though.

:lol:

I prefer STALKER out of the two, but BioShock is a close second. There are a couple of small elements to BioShock that kinda annoy me, like your goal is damn near to where you spawn in the level, you get near it but then - oh you've gotta go do something that involves going through the entire level by force (rather than choice) to get some pictures or to get some big daddy parts (that task to get the R34 rods came to me after I'd already dealt with 3 of them to rescue the little sisters, so that was annoying).

However, despite a couple of tiny niggles with me, BioShock is a superb game. I think the wonder is wearing off/worn off mostly now that I am nearing the end of the game itself, but aye, great game.

However again, I prefer STALKER over BioShock. Despite being fairly buggy and rough around the edges, you can't help but appreciate the sheer scale and effort that went into crafting the world. It's so unrelentingly atmospheric and down right terrifying at moments ... plus it's kinda like a sandbox FPS pretty much.

If you find it too hard eventually, just download a trainer for it and just enjoy the game.

I played the entire game with a trainer, I'm not about the challenge as I've said constantly every time the issue has come up, I'm all about the story, what you can do, the graphics and such like...I don't play games for a challenge, I play them to chill out ... for me they're essentially interactive movies.

Anyway ... oh yeah, you upgraded to v1.5 right?

Danny
19-Apr-2008, 02:20 PM
just finished roadside, good, but a poor ending, to ambiguos.

yeah i got 1.5 i think,, why whats the big deal about it?

MinionZombie
19-Apr-2008, 04:38 PM
Sheesh, can't have a bit of ambiguity now and then? Don't got all MTV wrapped up on me, sunshine. :D

v1.5 is the latest and the game works best on v1.5 as I've seen it on v1.0, v1.1 and v1.3 and v1.5 (now) is the best, bug & performance wise. Just making sure you were up-to-date.

You'll see which version you're on in the bottom right or left corner of the menu screen.

Danny
19-Apr-2008, 08:08 PM
it didnt want a full wrap up, just maybe a paragraph or something, like everyone in the town seeing a bright light coming fomr the zone and everything jsut getting whitre and whiter till- and from there its up to you. did the zone dissappear, did the area get destroyed, was it restored, theres loads of possible outcomes unique to each person, that show i would have ended it, off the top of my head.

MinionZombie
19-Apr-2008, 08:43 PM
But it's not really that kind of book though, it's more on an intellectual, in your mind, kinda level. It's like with the film (which admittedly was low budget), but it generally talks about the anomalies and what goes on in 'the room' and such like.

I'd have to re-read the ending again to respond here any better though...