PDA

View Full Version : OK! So Van Damme is actually bad ass!

Neil
22-Apr-2008, 09:31 PM
I didn't realise he was actually such an accomplished competition martial artist!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000241/bio

capncnut
22-Apr-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah, he's no pushover! Look at him in films like No Retreat, No Surrender or Kickboxer, he's remarkably athletic and a decent martial artist. It's just unfortunate his films took a more 'actiony' path.

I mean just check out his moves here in this photoshoot, he's pretty swift!

9xVLU_dah9I

Tricky
22-Apr-2008, 10:02 PM
I heard he's had a lot of problems with the ol' columbian marching powder though...

CoinReturn
22-Apr-2008, 11:59 PM
Ah, No Retreat, No Surrender. One of my favorite all-time "bad movies". Most intentional comedies don't make me laugh half as hard.

It's good to see Van Damme trying to make a comeback. His next movie actually looks pretty interesting:

EpwNca0ijTQ

axlish
23-Apr-2008, 01:04 AM
The only real dent in his record is when he got his arse whipped by his ex bodyguard, and former Hell's Angel Chuck Zito

MoonSylver
23-Apr-2008, 01:17 AM
The only real dent in his record is when he got his arse whipped by his ex bodyguard, and former Hell's Angel Chuck Zito

Knocked out in one shot IIRC.

Khardis
23-Apr-2008, 02:29 AM
Didn't he get his ass stomped out in NYC though? I was never impressed with him or any martial artist to be honest. Martial arts usually fail hard in street fights where there is no Ref to make sure it stays clean.

kortick
23-Apr-2008, 03:25 AM
I dont know who feeds you your info.

a well trained fighter performs well in any fight but lets let the video speak for itself

I have seen this type of thing happen many times with my own eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEv6i-lhIWc

and so you do say he was a black belt here is a real street fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv1Zrqxo5sQ

capncnut
23-Apr-2008, 10:15 AM
I heard he's had a lot of problems with the ol' columbian marching powder though...
Yeah but who hasn't at one time? :sneaky:

Ah, No Retreat, No Surrender. One of my favorite all-time "bad movies". Most intentional comedies don't make me laugh half as hard.
Indeed. Prime example of a good bad movie.

Martial arts usually fail hard in street fights where there is no Ref to make sure it stays clean.
No offence but that's a load of bollocks. Most people who win street fights have been trained in some kind of martial art or fighting style.

Neil
23-Apr-2008, 01:07 PM

Isn't that suppose to be where the lump on his forehead came from?

capncnut
23-Apr-2008, 01:44 PM
Isn't that suppose to be where the lump on his forehead came from?
Nah, that's one of his extra Brussels Muscles. :lol:

slickwilly13
23-Apr-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah but who hasn't at one time? :sneaky:

Indeed. Prime example of a good bad movie.

No offence but that's a load of bollocks. Most people who win street fights have been trained in some kind of martial art or fighting style.

I don't recall ever having to depend on a ref during a streetfight. Or fighting clean for that matter. Boxing or any martial arts IS NOT streetfighting and should NEVER be compared. Other than the fact there is violence involved. And it is wishful thinking to believe a martial artist will follow a code of conduct during a fight.

axlish
23-Apr-2008, 02:59 PM
Martial Arts are not confined to clean fighting. Only a select few people actually train for competition. The majority are trained in street defense that usually includes eyeball and crotch attacks.

MikePizzoff
23-Apr-2008, 04:48 PM
"Lets do some Van Damme-age"

Danny
23-Apr-2008, 05:01 PM
lol, this reminds of an action movies issue of ...empire i think, were trhey interviewed van damme and said "so why does steven segal want to kill you?" and he said "i dont know hes crazy" and 2 pages later in the same issue steven segal said "van damme laughed at me saying i am the reincarnation of an 18th cneutry buddhist monk whos here to save the world, so im going to kill him":lol:

Tricky
23-Apr-2008, 05:20 PM
All his films have almost the same picture on the box,van dammes head in the foreground,with a massive fireball & some helicopters in the background,bit like seagal :lol:
another dent in van damme is the fact he sported that permed mullet in "hard target" *shudders*

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/rsz/434/x/x/x/medias/nmedia/18/36/08/66/18451013.jpg

His films are strangely watchable though,if ones on TV (universal soldier tonight uk folks) il end up watching it :shifty:

Neil
01-May-2008, 10:11 AM
Total fights 18
Wins 17
Wins by KO 17
Losses 1
Draws 0
No contests 0

Pretty impressive really! 17 out of 18 KOs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Van_Damme

I don't recall ever having to depend on a ref during a streetfight. Or fighting clean for that matter. Boxing or any martial arts IS NOT streetfighting and should NEVER be compared. Other than the fact there is violence involved. And it is wishful thinking to believe a martial artist will follow a code of conduct during a fight.

Martial Arts are about building reflex reactions. Doing the same thing over and over and over again until the reaction is automatic. When I was doing Karate a friend of mine through a joke punch at me and I literally did not think and block it. I block it hard and actually hurt him resulting in quite a nice bruise on his arm as well.

Now, as you say street fighting is a different animal to a 'controlled' martial arts fight. BUT, reflexes and speed and being at least some what used to a situation are very important...

That said, I suspect your average boxer would fair far better in a street fight that your average Karate expert. Maybe your average Judo guy would do best of all?