PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Of The Dead Screening @ Monroeville Mall!

JohnoftheDead
09-May-2008, 05:42 PM
I THOUGHT YOU WOULD ALL BE QUITE INTERESTED IN THIS, DAWN OF THE DEAD SHOWING AT MONROEVILLE MALL, HERE'S THE LINK TO THE ARTICLE I FOUND:

http://creature-corner.com/?type=news&id=3457

AcesandEights
10-May-2008, 12:28 AM
That is ridiculously badass!

Thanks for the info.

Mike70
10-May-2008, 12:35 AM
awesome! pittsburgh isn't that far from here and i just might make the trip.

for the second time today i feel like going

9NL7nP61-hk

DubiousComforts
10-May-2008, 02:08 AM
This sucks. Romero and the NIGHT cast will be in NJ at the Fangoria show that weekend, while the DAWN cast and screening will be in Pittsburgh. Why can't these convention organizers get their acts together and better coordinate their efforts?

Yojimbo
13-May-2008, 11:59 PM
Why can't these convention organizers get their acts together and better coordinate their efforts?

In total agreement!

I get the feeling that a lot of these conventions are put together in a clumsy manner by investors who do not have the knowledge base or the respect for the product that an aficionado like yourself and many here have.

Dubious, I think the time has come that you take over organizing the talent and the logistics for one of these events so that the true believer fans can have a decently planned and executed event.

jim102016
14-May-2008, 05:39 AM
Wow, that looks great, I wish I were closer. I would go in a heartbeat. Just out of curiosity, is there now a theater within the Monroe Mall? I don't remember seeing one in Dawn, but of course that was thirty years ago and I haven't been in that area since I was a child.

This sucks. Romero and the NIGHT cast will be in NJ at the Fangoria show that weekend, while the DAWN cast and screening will be in Pittsburgh. Why can't these convention organizers get their acts together and better coordinate their efforts?

Have to agree, that's some real bull**** put together by those who wish only to make money. But I would think combining the two would be an ever better draw? Where is Romero going to be in NJ? Atlantic City?

DubiousComforts
14-May-2008, 06:04 AM
Have to agree, that's some real bull**** put together by those who wish only to make money. But I would think combining the two would be an ever better draw? Where is Romero going to be in NJ? Atlantic City?
Romero is going to be in northern NJ, just outside of NYC. I would have definitely made the trip to Pittsburgh if I hadn't already committed to the NJ event and arranged for a guest to be there, as well.

Dubious, I think the time has come that you take over organizing the talent and the logistics for one of these events so that the true believer fans can have a decently planned and executed event.
No thanks! :D

TheGovernor
14-May-2008, 05:52 PM
No, there's no longer a theater there. When I attended the NOTLD 25th Anniversary in '93, they had the re-premiere at a theater next to the mall. However, when I went back a few years later, it had been torn down and a Best Buy built in its place.

jim102016
15-May-2008, 12:56 AM
No, there's no longer a theater there. When I attended the NOTLD 25th Anniversary in '93, they had the re-premiere at a theater next to the mall. However, when I went back a few years later, it had been torn down and a Best Buy built in its place.

Was there one in the mall at the time of the filming?

Philly_SWAT
15-May-2008, 02:27 AM

I am not sure if Nicotero still lives in Pittsburgh, but all the other do, so it is not hard to get them to attend. It would be cool to see all those characters from Dawn.

Mike70
15-May-2008, 04:05 AM
guys don't be so literally minded. there doesn't have to be a theater in the mall to have a screening of the movie there.

note the words:"The showing is part of The Alamo Drafthouse's Traveling Roadshow"

anyway, i am thinking seriously of making the trek to monroeville for this. i'll post closer to the time of the event if i am, indeed, going to make it there. maybe a few of us can get meet up.

jim102016
16-May-2008, 02:33 AM
guys don't be so literally minded. there doesn't have to be a theater in the mall to have a screening of the movie there.

note the words:"The showing is part of The Alamo Drafthouse's Traveling Roadshow"

anyway, i am thinking seriously of making the trek to monroeville for this. i'll post closer to the time of the event if i am, indeed, going to make it there. maybe a few of us can get meet up.

Come on, scipio, I'm not so literally minded...I grew up in that part of the country. In one time many of the malls of there had theaters within their own building. How great would it have been to have seen Dawn' from within the mall when it originally came out?

Yojimbo
17-May-2008, 03:38 AM
Come on, scipio, I'm not so literally minded...I grew up in that part of the country. In one time many of the malls of there had theaters within their own building. How great would it have been to have seen Dawn' from within the mall when it originally came out?

Jim, I hear what you are saying. There was a mall in my area that was contemporary of the one in DAWN 78, and by the construction style it very well may have been put up by the same company that did Monroeville. This mall had a theater in it, as did some others like it back in the day. While it is possible that there might have been a theater at the Monroeville mall at some point, I do know that the mall maps from 1978 do not show any theater there at that time. Though I agree it would have been cool to have seen the original dawn at the original release time at the original mall!

TheGovernor
19-May-2008, 01:06 AM
Was there one in the mall at the time of the filming?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there was a theater actually in the Mall at the time Dawn was filmed. I don't recall seeing it on the maps or mentioned. Also, the movie theater that was next to Monroeville Mall at the time of the Night re-premiere seemed old and outdated. This was 1993, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was already there when Dawn was made. It only had like 4 screens and had that 70s architecture feel.

In fact, someone posted online a news article that was written when the mall was being built and I think it mentioned all of the amenities at the new shopping center, including a movie theater in the complex.

I think its possible that Dawn played there when it came out.

jim102016
19-May-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there was a theater actually in the Mall at the time Dawn was filmed. I don't recall seeing it on the maps or mentioned. Also, the movie theater that was next to Monroeville Mall at the time of the Night re-premiere seemed old and outdated. This was 1993, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was already there when Dawn was made. It only had like 4 screens and had that 70s architecture feel.

In fact, someone posted online a news article that was written when the mall was being built and I think it mentioned all of the amenities at the new shopping center, including a movie theater in the complex.

I think its possible that Dawn played there when it came out.

Ah, if I only had a time machine!