PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend

Skippy911sc
14-May-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok I finally broke down and read the book...I could not help but get the picture of Heston in my mind as I read...Talk about perfect casting. I have seen all three version of this movie not...Last man on Earth, Omega Man, and I am Legend...yuck!

I can't believe the Will Smith Movie used this name!!! The only think that was similar was his name. Omega Man had a lot of the book in it...the Vampire think was a little off but hey I though it was fantastic. Last man on Earth was good, but the cheese of the Vamps bothered me...however it did flash of NOLD...hehehe. I thought the book was great...superb imagery but the ending...not so much. Like another post I read some time ago the fact that they have all the short stories at the end threw me for a loop. I thought I was about halfway done and ...FIN. Well just wanted to drop my unsolicited opinion...so bring on the comments ;)

Legion2213
14-May-2008, 05:51 PM
It's a while since I read I am Legend, but it's a great book IMO....the closing passage is epic!

I also enjoyed the Will Smith movie (the alternative ending is better than the theatrical one). Maybe they should have give it a different title, but it was still a decent movie, I think people are too harsh on it, I'm glad I bought the SE DVD.

Last Man on Earth has some good moments, but isn't a great movie, or lets put it another way, I will watch Omega Man & I am Legend more than I will watch the Vincent Price one.

"The Omega Man" is a superb flick, one of my all time faves...Chuck Heston is awesome :cool:

Slight thread hijack here, a question for the "I am Legend" movie haters....would you have rated this movie higher if it had a different title and was "inspired" by the book as opposed to being "based on" the book?

DubiousComforts
14-May-2008, 07:37 PM
Slight thread hijack here, a question for the "I am Legend" movie haters....would you have rated this movie higher if it had a different title and was "inspired" by the book as opposed to being "based on" the book?
I could care less what a film is titled or based on as long as they do a good job. I Am Legend needed to be about three hours long in order to properly convey the story and develop the characters. After wasting screen time on the upteenth CGI deserted metropolitan city view, my wife yelled "he's alone, we get it!"

Say what you want about The Last Man on Earth, but Vincent Price carried an entire movie much better than his successors and with much less to work with. Ironic that he was frequently able to pull off such macho roles and do them better than the macho guys. :D

clanglee
14-May-2008, 11:09 PM
Say what you want about The Last Man on Earth, but Vincent Price carried an entire movie much better than his successors and with much less to work with. Ironic that he was frequently able to pull off such macho roles and do them better than the macho guys. :D

Surely you are not suggesting that the late great Mr. Price had sugar in his tank!!! How dare ye!!

Skippy911sc
15-May-2008, 03:27 PM

I think the movie had a good idea...far from the story of I am Legend, but was pulled off in a poor manner. I don't mind the CGI vistas of an empty world I am disgusted by the CGI monsters...come on!!! With so much great make-up talent in the world do we need CGI creatures? The first sight of the monsters was cool...dark standing in a corner breathing heavy...then the leader uses monster dogs to attack Neville...SUCKAGE!!! This was my beef with the film. Smith did all he could for the movie and was very good as a man that has lost everything, including his mind.

Trin
15-May-2008, 04:09 PM
I did not really like the Will Smith I Am Legend version. An "inspired by" version would've been more palatable to me because it would've justified the deviations from the book much moreso.

The book was just wildly different from the movie, and imho the book was more interesting. The book dealt heavily with religious topics and interplay between Neville and the vampires. Neville's journey to understand what was happening. All of that was jettisoned and replaced with action sequences. And that's just the start of the deviations.

The book and the movie put good time toward how Neville survived. The book was a tad more detailed, but both were good.

Both had suck endings.

Skippy911sc
15-May-2008, 10:54 PM
Another thing that bothered me...Smith driving in a car through town chasing deer and shooting them with a 5.56 or .223. I know the round is capable of taking a deer without to much trouble, but come on! He would have been better off waiting and baiting. There seemed to be a ton of them...oh and they were all huge bucks...grouped together!...what a crock!

Mike70
15-May-2008, 11:19 PM
Another thing that bothered me...Smith driving in a car through town chasing deer and shooting them with a 5.56 or .223. I know the round is capable of taking a deer without to much trouble, but come on! He would have been better off waiting and baiting. There seemed to be a ton of them...oh and they were all huge bucks...grouped together!...what a crock!

good point. given the fact that the film showed lions hunting in the city, i would guess that there were probably other large zoo animals around as well. you'd think neville would've been carrying a 30-06 or a shotgun loaded with slugs.

i don't think i'd want to defend myself against a male lion, a brown bear or any large animal with a 5.56mm round - no matter what it could theoretically take out.

can you imagine the laughter from an elephant if you shot one with a 5.56?

Yojimbo
17-May-2008, 12:45 AM
good point. given the fact that the film showed lions hunting in the city, i would guess that there were probably other large zoo animals around as well. you'd think neville would've been carrying a 30-06 or a shotgun loaded with slugs.

i don't think i'd want to defend myself against a male lion, a brown bear or any large animal with a 5.56mm round - no matter what it could theoretically take out.

can you imagine the laughter from an elephant if you shot one with a 5.56?

Agreed. Once heard a "story" about some guy that took down a deer with a .22 LR. It is so far fetched that it probably did happen, but a rimfire plinker would not be my first choice to go after a deer, just as a 5.56 would not be my first choice of arms in a city that has lions roaming around.

Which leads me to my various problems with the movie, most of which have to do with scenes played out to look flashy as opposed to making sense.

This is not to say that I did not enjoy parts of the film, however, I agree that the entire CGI reliance thing is getting really old really fast. A lot of directors it seem think that flashy CGI replaces substance in a film. CGI monster idiots were laughably lame. CGI monster dogs not fit to smell my $hit. I must also admit that, Will Smith just simply is not believable to me as an action hero, and less so as Robert Neville.

SRP76
17-May-2008, 04:55 AM
I didn't care at all about "what gun he's using". It didn't matter; perhaps he just couldn't find a rifle that was suitable for hunting. He wasn't exactly in Redneck Heaven, after all.

The only problem I had was just that: the fact that he was stuck on Manhattan. That's an island; as we saw in the flashbacks, the military had destroyed all the access points.

So, how the hell did that stupid woman and that useless child get to him? Did they swim?!

AcesandEights
17-May-2008, 02:38 PM
So, how the hell did that stupid woman and that useless child get to him? Did they swim?!

Take a skiff, a rowboat or a motorboat from the north side across the Harlem river and then take a car.

However, I'm not sure if the chick says or hints that she has driven the whole way...she may do that in conversation at some point. I'm not sure. Anyway, we can hardly think that we would get the whole nuance of her trip in the little bit of back story oriented conversation that we got to see.

jim102016
17-May-2008, 05:16 PM
I didn't care at all about "what gun he's using". It didn't matter; perhaps he just couldn't find a rifle that was suitable for hunting. He wasn't exactly in Redneck Heaven, after all.

The only problem I had was just that: the fact that he was stuck on Manhattan. That's an island; as we saw in the flashbacks, the military had destroyed all the access points.

"Redneck Heaven"? We sure can tell you have the characteristics of a true city rat. I hope an alligator doesn't coming crawling through your doggie door late one night to take a chunk out of your ass. He had that particular "rifle" because Hollywood associated it with the military officer they were trying to portray him as. If he was out roaming around solely for hunting, its not the best choice.

He wasn't stuck in Manhattan, he chose to stay there. Its not that far of a swim if you've ever been up that way. Good point about that woman. They must have swam across, then hot wired a car that was could still function after sitting idle for years?

Yojimbo
17-May-2008, 11:16 PM

Your description of the kid and the woman are right on target. "Stupid woman and that useless child" :lol:

As others have said, maybe they took a boat across or maybe they swam, but I still hated them and found them to be utterly useless in the scope of the movie. Why does hollywood always seem take a perfectly good story like Matheson's "I Am Legend" and then have to mess with it and add stupid and useless characters to it? This sort of meddling does not make for a superior story or film. Damn them all to hell!!!

He had that particular "rifle" because Hollywood associated it with the military officer they were trying to portray him as. If he was out roaming around solely for hunting, its not the best choice.

I think that a dude as resourceful as Neville would have been able to scrounge or loot out of the whole abandoned area of Manhattan Island an appropriate piece for deer or elk hunting (sporting good stores, abandoned police stations, etc.) I agree that Neville's primary piece was incorrect for hunting and the fact that he was armed in this fashion was more a figment of hollywood stupidity than a reasoned choice.

Craig
18-May-2008, 12:45 AM
I Actually just finished reading I Am Legend today. Definitely one of the best books I've read. It's amazing how much is crammed into such a short book, it feels like you've been following Neville's trials and tribulations all the time, even when it skipped ahead a few years it didn't feel like lost time. Once I'd gotten into the meat of the book, every page I read my heart was in my throat, hoping that Neville would make it through. A superb story in my opinion.

I actually saw the most recent screen adaptation a couple of weeks ago, I'm glad I saw it before I read the book because if I'd read the book before the film had been released, I would've been more disappointed that the movie hadn't lived up to the book... if that makes sense. The movie wasn't bad, but it didn't really try to be the same story anyway... so it's was fairly enjoyable but not something I'd buy or rent again.

bd2999
23-May-2008, 03:22 PM
I also really liked the book. You can see where Romero stold ideas from at times, but the best true adaptation is probably Last Man on Earth with Vincet Price. They change some names but otherwise it is very close. Omega Man with Charles Heston is also pretty good too. I think the new I am legend was alright, Smith did a good job acting and all, but they did terrible with the monsters (never stated what they were but they were vampire like). The ending to the new one was crappy though. One of the biggest things about the name and the power of the story comes together in the ending that is both a downer and a strange look at hope.

suicide22
08-Sep-2009, 06:15 PM
The movie could have been better.:rant::annoyed::shifty:

MikePizzoff
09-Sep-2009, 08:22 AM
Hm, this thread was started around the exact time I had also first read this novella and somehow I never noticed. I agree, Skippy, the entire time I read it I was picturing Heston... only in different production sets.

Skippy911sc
09-Sep-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow talk about bringing a thread back to life...I actually had to re-read all my old posts to remember what I was talking about.

Danny
09-Sep-2009, 03:46 PM
the book rocks, and all 3 flicks are rad. price rocks, heston rocks, and yes, leave your bias at the door, smith gave a great performance, i love all 3 flicks, its not like night, night 90 and night 30th, each of the 3 legend flicks are variants that each have there own appeal, price going mad in his leather arm chair as the ghouls bang on the boarded up windows, heston looking down on the streets as the family runs at the house, or smith yelling at the dummy thats moved. all 3 flicks have great moments and each is a valid, very entertaining piece of cinema.

Epidemic79
15-May-2010, 11:14 PM
I saw on DVD when it came out. Ahhhhhh...

I expected more. Although I admit I have never read the book(yet)-I have seen the 70's Charleton Heston one,which was groovy. He makes everything great. And I unknowingly bought the Vincent Price version in an old horror flick combo back a few years ago. And it wasnt bad. I liked it more than I thought I would.

I've even seen the SyFi channels own cheapie version,and I'm shocked to admit that I'd even take that one over Will Smith's!

I tried really hard to roll with the movie,but video game CGI zombies do not scare me and do less than get me into a flick. And no kidding,my uncle who saw it with me honestly thought that this movie was suposse to be a Sequel to I,ROBBOT!!!

And I have to agree,they look more like humanoid robots than infected,zombie-humans! And even with this,I was still willing to give the movie a chance,Until.....They kill his dog.

At that point I thought the whole thing was gonna go into overdrive then. And he was gonna go caveman on them,and just go blood drunk machinegun killing spree on the ugly basterds left and right. But I sadly realized that Will Smith is Not Charleton Heston-lol

Instead of launching a vengeance campaign onto the city streets(Like I think most all of us on here would do)-he goes back to his lab to do some more research!-Uh,WTF???

Yeah,thats the kind of retribution I like to see in horror/sci fi movies. At least in OMEGA MAN the creeps feared Chuck,and you could feel it in the movies atmosphere,and I AM LEGEND did Not invoke that.:|

Wyldwraith
16-May-2010, 03:32 PM
One thing got me about both Will Smith's I Am Legend and Chuck Heston's Omega Man.

These guys had all the time in the world, and neither one of them seemed to give any thought to what they'd do if the infected managed to breach their main defenses and get inside.

I mean c'mon, it's a major metropolitan area. Base yourself somewhere that lends itself to a quick exit to the outside, or a reasonably secured passage to a heavier/more secure vehicle at the VERY least.

Think I liked Chuck Heston's version better. The infected were creepier, and you don't have the lame kamikaze ending of the Will Smith flick to contend with.

acealive1
16-May-2010, 04:43 PM
i swear, as soon as the main characters race changes. people raise the biggest stink ever. now lets see them do a real remake of dawn and make peter white..... no one will say a word

MikePizzoff
16-May-2010, 06:11 PM
i swear, as soon as the main characters race changes. people raise the biggest stink ever. now lets see them do a real remake of dawn and make peter white..... no one will say a word

This is bullshit. I Am Legend stunk, plain and simple. The leading actor could be purple and that wouldn't make a difference. Not to me, at least; I don't see races.

EDIT: I'd like to also add that I am a Will Smith fan.

Trin
16-May-2010, 06:22 PM
I thought Will Smith did well in the role. Prior to the movie coming out I was on here contending we'd see the Fresh Prince of Vampires, and I had to eat those words. He did fine. The role itself had major failings, mainly due to plot injustice. Smith could've carried a much better screenplay.

I was okay with Neville's level of preparedness in both adaptations. I think part of that is drawing from the book, where Neville's location was well known to the vampires and yet they couldn't get to him.

The Will Smith version depicted Neville as spending every waking moment in some activity that either revolved around his day to day survival or his research. He was also depicted as having thought very thoroughly about how to keep his location hidden, and had done a lot to provide defenses if the vampires discovered his place. Given that his research was key to long term recovery of society I don't think he had an option if the vampires made it inside. He was essentially committed to the place.

Danny
16-May-2010, 06:35 PM
Okay im gonna go out on a further limb than my last, all 3 rock but will smith outdoes the zany performance of price, which is just price being price and charlton heston a man whos only on screen emotion is two dimensional anger and nothing else and smith easily out acted the two of them.
He had a much larger range over the movies duration. Seemed like a person, not a character an actor was pretending to be and at times you were watching robert neville, not the fresh prince. You were always watching vincent price vs vampires and heston vs the family.

This movie seems to have some unfair stigma behind it and i cant thin why other than the changed ending, because honestly neither of the first two were that great. hell even the complaints about the cgi creatures is moot if you go back and watch the heston version where every member of the family has a scar on there cheek and chin in the same damn place.

Seriously, go back and watch it and you will enjoy a damn good on screen telling of the novel in a contemporary setting with a great performance from smith, one of his best in fact. The plot could have used work but its still the best on screen telling of the novel and anyone defending the heston version needs to go back and watch it without nostalgia tinted glasses, planet of the apes it is not, its probably one of hestons worst films.

acealive1
16-May-2010, 07:08 PM
This is bullshit. I Am Legend stunk, plain and simple. The leading actor could be purple and that wouldn't make a difference. Not to me, at least; I don't see races.

EDIT: I'd like to also add that I am a Will Smith fan.

didnt say you did. but compare that with the remake for day and the movie for wild wild west. people jumped ALL OVER THAT.

Maggot Farmer
16-May-2010, 07:24 PM
The book was better than the movie (like everyone ever except: Jaws, First Blood, and Blade-runner).
Look at the book like a long joke with the last line being the punchline that makes a decent story outstanding. Now look at the movie (which I actually enjoyed fairly well but it had it's problems obviously) which was more of a retelling of night of the comet than anything close to Matheson's Legend.
Just put the name of something somewhat familiar on your product that bears little but some resemblance to an original product and ta-da hollywood has fucked us again by bastardizing another beloved story.

BUT, the silver lining to the story is there's still time to make a truer version of the original with say I dunno golden boy of the moment Downey Jr. as Neville or someone comparable who has the acting chops to pull off the solitary man bit.
I'd buy it for a dollar...but I buy a lot of shit too.

Wyldwraith
16-May-2010, 07:42 PM
CRACK

That's the sound of that limb breaking under you Hellsing. I've heard a lot of matters of opinion voiced on this board, but stating Will Smith's dumbass ranting at mannequins made for a better performance than Chuck Heston's Omega Man....that's just poppycock.

Don't get me wrong. In recent years Smith has impressed me a great deal in a variety of roles. Not all of them big budget or action-hero depictions either. The Legend of Bagger Vance was pure dramatic genius when it comes to Smith's character. He was a lot of fun in Independence Day and I, Robot...and I'll even say that Smith's I Am Legend was an all right movie.

It just isn't as good by any stretch of the imagination as The Omega Man. I "get" what they were trying to portray with him talking/interacting with the mannequins...it just ended up being annoyingly repetitive, instead of full of pathos for the character's predicament as they intended.

Then there was how awful the "Generic Infected" of Smith's version look and act. Their Cavemen-esque brutality has nowhere NEAR the creepy-factor of Matthias from Omega Man. The infected in Smith's version looked awful, to add insult to grave injury....

What do you take away from Smith's depiction of Neville that The Omega Man's depiction doesn't have and then some?

Danny
16-May-2010, 07:53 PM
CRACKWhat do you take away from Smith's depiction of Neville that The Omega Man's depiction doesn't have and then some?

Smiths neville genuinely came across as a man who had nothing to live for but this cure, Heston was the same angry man he has always been and i fully expected him to yell something out of planet of the apes. One was the character, the other was the actor and i could never shake it. Go back and watch it and its really not one of hestons greatest performances. But when smith has to break the neck of his infected dog, his only companion in this abandoned new york that aint will smith on the screen thats a broken man whos got his incredibly fragile reality finally collapsing in on him.

I took away from smith's performance a sad, lonely, conflicted man who for all he new was the last normal man alive, but he was giving his all to try and save the things that hunted him every second of the day with every fibre of his will and being he had left.
Heston was just his usual angry yelling and vincent price was just vincent price. Both where entertaining but smith's is the only character performance of the 3 that can make me completely disassociate the actor from the men in black and wild wild west with this man i see on screen. Its like tom cruise in tropic thunder or robin williams in one hour photo. There not the big screen award winning performances they get praised for- but its the ones where they genuinely act and the man in the celebrity gossip columns and such is a separate entity to the performance on screen.

Neil
16-May-2010, 09:16 PM
One thing got me about both Will Smith's I Am Legend and Chuck Heston's Omega Man.

These guys had all the time in the world, and neither one of them seemed to give any thought to what they'd do if the infected managed to breach their main defenses and get inside.

I mean c'mon, it's a major metropolitan area. Base yourself somewhere that lends itself to a quick exit to the outside, or a reasonably secured passage to a heavier/more secure vehicle at the VERY least.

Think I liked Chuck Heston's version better. The infected were creepier, and you don't have the lame kamikaze ending of the Will Smith flick to contend with.

Well, the 'infected' were less of a threat in Omega Man, but even so, Heston did put some effort into his defenses. Even with the power off, the only way up there was climbing up a wall and in through a window which he could easily cover with a machine gun, while raining grenades out of the window if he wished :)

Epidemic79
16-May-2010, 10:01 PM
Well I may not have been crazy about the movie,but I never dissed on Mr.Smith's performance!

Hes probably the best and only great thing about the movie. Back in the 90s I didnt care much for him,but I gotta admit hes come along way since MIB and Independance Day.

As for Heston's stereotypical stiff,macho,hardass persona,the cheapie production and lousy makeup effects in Omega Man---C'mon,it was the 70's,everything was like that then!-lol:cool:

bassman
16-May-2010, 10:12 PM
Hes probably the best and only great thing about the movie.

Couldn't agree more. He was fantastic. I was genuinely choked up during the dog and "Talk to me" scenes. Good stuff.

Danny
16-May-2010, 10:21 PM
Couldn't agree more. He was fantastic. I was genuinely choked up during the dog and "Talk to me" scenes. Good stuff.

Fukkin'-A

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1245840777009.jpg

acealive1
16-May-2010, 10:51 PM

loved the movie, complete isolation scene in the video store had me choked up too

bassman
16-May-2010, 11:22 PM
That's one thing I've nevre understood. Smith always gets shit because of Fresh Prince, Parents Just Dont Understand, or whatever. Just because he came from more humble beginings means he doesn't deserve the right to try his hand at more dramatic rolls? And some people think he hasn't yet established that career? Six Degrees of Seperation. One of, if not THE first role of his career. Not only that....but it's also one of his best.

The Blockbuster stank has sunk into Smith's clothes. He makes huge money making summer event films and people tend to forget about the rest. The guy has some serious acting chops. More than most others can claim in Hollywood these days.

I salute Will Smith. He's overcome a label and exceeded in spades, imo.

shootemindehead
17-May-2010, 01:15 AM
I can't stand Will Smith. Wrecks everything he's in as far as I'm concerned. Because he's Will Smith in everything. But, he was OK in 'I am Legend'. That's mainly because the film was shit over all. The xcript is pretty deadful, they didn't know how to end it and the CGI for organic material was woeful. The deserted streets CGI worked well.

None of the attempts to film 'I am Legend' have ever worked, but I am at a loss to see why. It's perfect fodder for a film adaptation. There's no need to change anything at all.

soulsyfn
17-May-2010, 06:22 PM
I can't stand Will Smith. Wrecks everything he's in as far as I'm concerned. Because he's Will Smith in everything...

You have no freaking clue what you are talking about... The Pursuit of Happiness were brilliant films. And it was brilliant because of Will Smith! Sure he has made some crap but the man can act when given a decent script and a director with some skill.

shootemindehead
17-May-2010, 06:55 PM
Great...one flick. Even Jerry Lewis made one good flick.

Nice avitar BTW, what is it?

darth los
17-May-2010, 07:29 PM
Just because he came from more humble beginings means he doesn't deserve the right to try his hand at more dramatic rolls?

Some of the greatest actors of our time came from comedic beginings.

Oscar winners Tom hanks and Jaime Foxx anyone?

Say what you want about them but they have the hardware to back it up and no one can take that away from them. It's like being a former President. For the rest of their lives they will henceforth be known as Oscar winner______________. Fill in the blank.

:cool:

AcesandEights
17-May-2010, 07:32 PM
Tossing the race card because someone didn't like I am Legend?

Not cool.

mista_mo
17-May-2010, 08:55 PM

What the fuck is wrong with you?

DEAD BEAT
28-May-2010, 05:48 PM
OMEGA MAN gets my vote! Hell yah it was a little eerie with plus filmed in my home town extra bonus! I am Legend can suck my balls and last man on earth dragged a little..givin the zombies those deep voices like they were the Wizard of Oz didn't help! lol besides we all know Mr. Price was much better @ playing the ultimate character.....Dr. Anton Phibes!!!!:elol::sneaky::blood:

Legion2213
28-May-2010, 07:41 PM

You mean when he is looking for the dog in the building and is totally shitting himself (like a real person would be) and even decides to abandon her at one point? Brilliant scene IMO.

BTW, I was outraged when I first heard he was cast as Neville, because a wise cracking fresh prince just wasn't going to cut it, not in a million years...I was badly wrong, Smith was excellent in this movie, totally excellent.

I own it on Blu-Ray now, it looks insanely good.

Trin
28-May-2010, 08:23 PM
BTW, I was outraged when I first heard he was cast as Neville, because a wise cracking fresh prince just wasn't going to cut it, not in a million years...I was badly wrong, Smith was excellent in this movie, totally excellent.
That was my point from earlier. I had to eat some crow on this one. He really did it well.

And, yes, he will forever be labeled with the stink of "Fresh Prince." Not because he hasn't become much more than that role, but because his junk is so ripe for kicking because he was Fresh Prince. You gotta know his buddies from his humble beginnings will never let him forget it.

acealive1
29-May-2010, 02:25 AM
That's one thing I've nevre understood. Smith always gets shit because of Fresh Prince, Parents Just Dont Understand, or whatever. Just because he came from more humble beginings means he doesn't deserve the right to try his hand at more dramatic rolls? And some people think he hasn't yet established that career? Six Degrees of Seperation. One of, if not THE first role of his career. Not only that....but it's also one of his best.

The Blockbuster stank has sunk into Smith's clothes. He makes huge money making summer event films and people tend to forget about the rest. The guy has some serious acting chops. More than most others can claim in Hollywood these days.

I salute Will Smith. He's overcome a label and exceeded in spades, imo.

which is why i will NEVER understand why the wahlberg brothers are taken seriously but not will smith

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

What the fuck is wrong with you?

wow, another person that thinks racism is dead..........but then again he's from canada

shootemindehead
29-May-2010, 07:55 AM
which is why i will NEVER understand why the wahlberg brothers are taken seriously...

Are they?

bassman
29-May-2010, 12:55 PM
Why does everyone hate on Fresh Prince, anyway? I liked that show. Yeah....I said it.:cool:

As for the Whalbergs.....Mark is definitely taken seriously these days, but not so much the other one. Donnie, I think it is.

acealive1
29-May-2010, 02:30 PM
Are they?

people took mark seriously as vince papale and max payne and didnt go "but he's a rapper!!"

but will smith does it and "oh no, we cant have a guy thats a rapper being in serious movies"

shootemindehead
29-May-2010, 05:55 PM
Depends what you mean by "taken seriously". He's still just Marky Mark to many people and a limited actor to all the rest. :D

I don't think either are taken too seriously in many quarters.

mista_mo
29-May-2010, 07:44 PM
wow, another person that thinks racism is dead...but then again he's from Canada

Racism is very much alive here in Canada, as it is everywhere on this planet. However, you seem to be seeing racism wherever you feel that it is necessary. No one put up a stink about of Will Smiths roll in 'I am Legend' because he is black, they put up a stink about it because they thought that he just couldn't act the role properly. Personally, I thought that he was fantastic in the film.

As for Will not being taken seriously, I think that it boils down to him mainly appearing in stereotypical action films (ala bad boys) where he plays as street wise, tough talking stereotype laden black man. (Independence day, bad boys, Wild wild west, men in black etc.) and the fact that he would usually record sub par hip hop songs for those movies. Now, looking past those examples, he really shines in the dramatic rolls that can be played by someone of any race (I am Legend, Pursuit of Happiness).

So please, don't whine about him not being taken seriously because of the colour of his skin. If he wanted to be taken seriously, he wouldn't have taken such out stereotypical and ridiculous rolls in the past.

ZomBub
29-May-2010, 08:42 PM
So . . . anyone seen I Am Omega?

bassman
29-May-2010, 09:31 PM
I think it's safe to say Mark Wahlberg has worked his way past the Funky Bunch days. Just look at some of the high profile films he's done with established filmmakers. Paul Thomas Anderson, Martin Scorcese, David O Russell, Tim Burton, John Singleton, Peter Jackson, etc. Whether you like those directors and their respective films is opinion, but I don't think Wahlberg would have those kinds of jobs if he was still stuck as the Marky Mark label.

He's done pretty well breaking that shell, whether you like him or not.

acealive1
30-May-2010, 12:16 AM
Racism is very much alive here in Canada, as it is everywhere on this planet. However, you seem to be seeing racism wherever you feel that it is necessary. .

im sorry, but where the fuck do people basically get off saying "oh i bring up racism alot" um......... im sorry, the people who started slavery get a free pass?

FUCK THAT.

anytime i bring up injustice, it's "hey get over it!!"

kiss my ass if im supposed to just sweep racism under the rug

Legion2213
30-May-2010, 12:32 AM
Dude, nobody on this forum has anything to do with slavery. And whites certainly did not "start slavery" either (which seems to be your insinuation). There wasn't any such thing as "europe" or "america" when the likes of the Persians et al were dealing in millions of slaves.

Also bear in mind that practically all races and cultures have had a hand in slavery throughout history. Black folks included.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

So . . . anyone seen I Am Omega?

Somebody posted a link to the trailer of that on here ages ago...you seen the full movie?

acealive1
30-May-2010, 12:52 AM
Dude, nobody on this forum has anything to do with slavery. And whites certainly did not "start slavery" either (which seems to be your insinuation). There wasn't any such thing as "europe" or "america" when the likes of the Persians et al were dealing in millions of slaves.

Also bear in mind that practically all races and cultures have had a hand in slavery throughout history. Black folks included.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Somebody posted a link to the trailer of that on here ages ago...you seen the full movie?

this is what im talking about, someone puts words in my mouth and then i'll just wait for the backlash for bringing up a subject the world would just rather soon forget.

where did i say ANYONE on this forum had anything to do with slavery? i must have missed that part

how the hell do u chastise someone for remembering a part of their great grandparents history?

and theres the other argument, "ohh everyone had a hand in slavery"

who the fuck else was in slavery for 439 years that u know of?

so let me get this straight, whites didnt go to africa from north america and round up the local population? ok......

forgive me for remembering part of my history

Danny
30-May-2010, 01:02 AM
where the hell did this come from?

Andy
30-May-2010, 01:06 AM
Acealive you have been told before on this subject.

Drop the random racism arguments now. You seem to have some stick up your ass and are over sensitive to the slightest undertone, your upsetting people and inciting racist arguments and flaming with your comments, it ends or you leave these forums.