PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead in 3-D (& Sequel)

thxleo
14-May-2008, 09:00 PM
www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6550

DubiousComforts
14-May-2008, 09:11 PM
"planning to rerelease the 1979 zombie epic in true 3-D!"

YAY!

"Rubinstein also has plans to create a direct sequel to the original DAWN (!)"

BOO!

AcesandEights
14-May-2008, 10:45 PM

YAY!

BOO!

Hehe, the official liner notes of the article and it pretty much sums up how I feel on the matter. Well, maybe an extra exclamation point at the prospect of 3D.

Anyone have any realistic postulations on the likelihood of distribution were this to really happen?

axlish
14-May-2008, 11:13 PM
3-D sounds fun, I hope it really happens.

A Dawn sequel has long been a cream dream for me, but seeing as how Richard has been rubbing elbows with the Dudleson's lately, I will remain skeptical until I hear an interview with Romero stating that he is writing the sequel, and then that Foree and Ross have been cast.

capncnut
15-May-2008, 12:48 PM

YAY!

BOO!
My sentiments exactly on both counts.

I will remain skeptical until I hear an interview with Romero stating that he is writing the sequel, and then that Foree and Ross have been cast.
That would be terrible, the film should be left as is. One of the best things about Dawn is that we could all make up our own mind what happened to Peter and Fran. I don't think I want it explained in an official sequel, it would take EVERYTHING away.

bassman
15-May-2008, 01:09 PM
I haven't seen any 3D movies lately, but I don't really see it working with Dawn. Except for when the zombies come reaching into the elevator....that could be cool.

As I'm sure most people around here would agree.....a sequel is a horrible idea. Doesn't Rubinstein own a good portion of the rights to Day? They should try a sequel/Bub spinoff film. THAT would have me alittle interested. A Dawn sequel? Not so much.

Monrozombi
15-May-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok, maybe I can go along w/ the 3D thing

But the sequel to Dawn, IMO is ridiculous. What is the point? Unless there has been a big demand lately for a sequel I think Rubenstein should leave well enough alone, please

capncnut
15-May-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't really see it working with Dawn. Except for when the zombies come reaching into the elevator...
I dunno, the more I think about it...

- That headshot at 107 might look badass
- Warner Shook reaching toward the screen in the boiler room
- Roger aiming the gun at the businessman zombie at Penneys
- Screwdriver zombie's hand sticking out just before he jumps on Roger
- Numerous Roger gun aims during truck sequence
- Brains flying out the head of the zombitch who split Rogers leg bandage
- Burning zombie falling towards screen after biker grenade
- Flyboy's hand reaching toward screen with the gun hanging off his finger

There's tons of sequences that would work!

zombiegirl
15-May-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm totally looking forward to seeing it in 3D. DAWN in THEATERS again!

Your all gonna go see it because it's dawn and you know it. :p Enjoy the ride.

Mike70
15-May-2008, 03:53 PM
That would be terrible, the film should be left as is. One of the best things about Dawn is that we could all make up our own mind what happened to Peter and Fran. I don't think I want it explained in an official sequel, it would take EVERYTHING away.

indeed. i have my own ideas about what happens to them. i don't want to see the characters of peter and fran again.

PLUS - ken foree is 60 years old and gaylen ross is 58. how in the hell would that be dealt with in a way that isn't, well, idiotic.

if it is a direct continuation of the story, i am sorry to burst some bubbles here, but you would be forced to use different actors playing those characters. there is simply no way that ken foree and gaylen ross could play their 30 year old and 28 year old selves again.

Geophyrd
15-May-2008, 04:29 PM
Dawn of the Dead in 3D and A Sequel! (http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_11738.html)
Posted By : Goon, Wednesday May,14
Filed Under : Classic & Cult Horror, General Horror, Zombie,

Yes folks you read that right. Fangoria recently spoke with Producer Richard Rubinstein about the goings on with Dawn of the Dead. Apparently Rubinstein is enlisting the help of In-Three, Inc. of Agoura Hill, CA to rerelease the film in true 3-D!

"When Mike Messina [another producer on the DAWN redux] and I began to investigate using In-Three's technique, I was very skeptical," Rubinstein tells Fango. "I couldn't see how it could be used without re-editing George's film, which I was not going to do. I was also concerned that converting a 29-year-old movie would not be competitive qualitatively with the new 3-D live-action features being shot today. I was wrong in both cases. George’s DAWN OF THE DEAD can be reformatted into 3-D without any editing, and the image looks spectacular! As it stands now, it will take about a year to complete the conversion of the whole film."

Besides this awesome announcement he also revealed that he is working on a direct sequel to Dawn of the Dead the original! Now that is really a shocker. Will they bring back Ken Foree and Gaylen Ross? Because without them, I doubt they really have much support from the original's fans. But we shall see in the coming months what becomes of the project. Keep it here for more!

axlish
15-May-2008, 04:35 PM
Already been posted, merged.

There would have to be a leap in time. Ken is 60 but he can play younger, as well as Fran.

MinionZombie
15-May-2008, 05:53 PM
A 3-D version, I'm fine with, I figured it'd happen anyway now that this new 3-D tech is available and growing.

A direct Original-Dawn sequel? That's one of the lamest ideas I've heard in ages, seriously.

The original film was perfect, just leave it be, don't try and go back to it, leave it be and let it stand in cinematic history for what it is - an arse-kicking can of awesome.

capncnut
15-May-2008, 07:49 PM
The original film was perfect, just leave it be, don't try and go back to it, leave it be and let it stand in cinematic history for what it is - an arse-kicking can of awesome.
Damn. F**king. Straight.

ProfessorChaos
16-May-2008, 01:13 AM
a 3d re-release sounds great, but a sequel to dawn of the dead seems like an april fool's day joke.

3pidemiC
16-May-2008, 01:29 AM
indeed. i have my own ideas about what happens to them. i don't want to see the characters of peter and fran again.

PLUS - ken foree is 60 years old and gaylen ross is 58. how in the hell would that be dealt with in a way that isn't, well, idiotic.

if it is a direct continuation of the story, i am sorry to burst some bubbles here, but you would be forced to use different actors playing those characters. there is simply no way that ken foree and gaylen ross could play their 30 year old and 28 year old selves again.

I heard that Nick Cannon is up for the role. :)

Holy crap, they are going to screw this supposed "sequel" up so bad, I can feel it. I wonder why...

Day of the Dead 2? Day '08? Night of the Living D3AD?

MinionZombie
16-May-2008, 11:15 AM
Damn. F**king. Straight.
Dawn-is-awesome-Five ... *whi-tish!*

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/the-todd-25138.jpg

Neil
16-May-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't see the point of a follow on/sequel! If only because all we're going to start with are just two characters 20-30yrs on... So what!? Just start with a fresh palette! What are you possibly going to gain by using these two characters?

jim102016
16-May-2008, 02:10 PM
3-D sounds great, but the sequel I'm not so sure about. Its been almost thirty years, a bit late in my opinion. If they were going to do it, they should have done it twenty years ago at the latest. I think it'll get screwed up now and become a **** pie for GAR.

Would it be set after Land? Thirty years afters the outbreak (Dawn)? Maybe Fran's son comes back to what's left of the U.S. after being raised some place secure?

DubiousComforts
16-May-2008, 04:08 PM
What are you possibly going to gain by using these two characters?
Moola.

Would it be set after Land? Thirty years afters the outbreak (Dawn)? Maybe Fran's son comes back to what's left of the U.S. after being raised some place secure?
Maybe Fran's son eventually leads the human resistance against the zombies and so terminator zombies are sent back in time to the mall in a preemptive strike to wipe out his existence.

Griff
20-May-2008, 01:32 PM
I think Fangoria have gotten their wires crossed. The sequel would have to be to the DAWN remake.

MinionZombie
20-May-2008, 06:40 PM
I think Fangoria have gotten their wires crossed. The sequel would have to be to the DAWN remake.
Even then, that's still lame.

Griff
21-May-2008, 12:21 AM
Even then, that's still lame.

Lamer than actually remaking Romero's DAWN in the first place?

No.

MinionZombie
21-May-2008, 10:35 AM
Lamer than actually remaking Romero's DAWN in the first place?

No.
Ahhh, touche Sir...touche. :)

SymphonicX
21-May-2008, 02:05 PM
**** sandwich alert! **** sandwich alert!

There's a dead donkey on the starboard bow cap'n....may day may day

Griff
21-May-2008, 03:16 PM
There is, of course, a very inexpensive alternative to In-Three's "dimensionalization" process. I call it "Griff's Soon-to-Be Patented Eye-Patch Method" and it works. It works a treat.

Basically, you deprive yourself of your stereoscopic vision by adequately obscuring the sight in one of your eyes. The right or left, it doesn't matter. You wanna block out every bit of light so that your brain disregards the signal coming from that particular occular receptor. For best effect, do this as early as possible prior to starting your movie.

Are we ready then? Let the show begin.

Wow! Basically, I guess the brain compensates for the lack of true stereovision by telling itself that there is indeed depth there in the image. Of course, since you can only see out of one eye, the illusion is only enforced by the physical environment around you, which is just as flat as the moving image infront of you.

I'm sure there must be plenty of material written about this phenomenon but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Besides, I'd rather take credit for its discovery...

bassman
21-May-2008, 04:10 PM
I think they should wait and see what James Cameron's new 3d technology has in store for the world and use that. Because you know it's going to be awesome.:D