View Full Version : Discuss the Diary DVD (so who got their copy today?)

Mike70
20-May-2008, 02:07 PM
sound off if you did.

EDIT: as people get hold of their copies, feel free to post opinions, gripes, etc. about the disc and special features to this thread. now i realize i should've titled this thread something like "discuss the diary DVD."

bassman
20-May-2008, 02:19 PM
I plan on picking mine up during lunch and checking it out after work. Still hoping the special features are worthy....

Choas
20-May-2008, 05:46 PM
I got my copy this morning.I just got done watching it,and I love it.The special features were very good.I hope they make diary 2.:D

axlish
20-May-2008, 06:27 PM
I edited the title for you.

I went to Best Buy with the intention of getting Diary and the new Night disc until I noticed the steep price tag and promptly exited the store.

I refuse to pay $17.99 (or $15.99 in the case of Night) for a new DVD on release day. The only way I know how to battle rediculous prices is to refuse to pay them.

I will get this DVD(s) eventually, but not until the price becomes reasonable or someone offers them up for trade, which shouldn't be long in the case of Diary, since the opinions are so mixed on that one.

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2008, 09:33 PM
I got it, went to CC it was $14.99

AcesandEights
20-May-2008, 10:32 PM
Graaaaargh! :mad: Foiled in my on-the-way-home attempt to pick it up. Will try again tomorrow.

MoonSylver
20-May-2008, 10:32 PM
Got mine as soon as I got off work last night. Probably won't get a chance to watch it 'till this weekend, however.

Staredge
20-May-2008, 10:35 PM
Well...lets just say I'm not mad at the old lady for making me go to Walmart this afternoon!!!!! :lol:

I too will probably not get a chance to watch until this weekend.

axlish
20-May-2008, 10:51 PM
I just found a two pack at K-Mart of Diary and Night for 24.99, by far the best price I've seen. It is a K-Mart exclusive so head on over there ASAP if you haven't got a copy yet.

RJ_Sevin
21-May-2008, 12:43 AM
I very much want to run out and buy it today, but I know the Weinstein's will make the jump to Blu-Ray within the next six months, so I'm gonna wait (same reason I did't buy THE MIST). Same for the new NIGHT DVD -- the 1080p master doesn't mean anything in a standard def DVD transfer.

hadrian0117
21-May-2008, 01:47 AM
I ordered mine from Amazon thinking it might arrive sooner, but it's not due to arrive until Thursday. If it hadn't already been shipped I'd just cancel it and pop over to Borders.

Monrozombi
21-May-2008, 11:43 AM
bought mine yesterday and already gave it a watch. I enjoyed it more this time around after giving it 3 months to digest from seeing it in the theater.

bassman
21-May-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm glad it got a pretty decent treatment in the special features department. It's alot better than the Land dvd, anyway.

It's nice to have that full making of documentary...

Skippy911sc
21-May-2008, 01:35 PM
Well you knew this was coming...

Spoiler alert!

I was a little disappointed with the film. The DVD itself looked great the extras...hmmmm. I just thought it could have been better, the story that is. I will re-watch to make sure but I thought some of the lines (dialog) were out of the ordinary for people under pressure or in extreme stress. The idea the one girl had not changed out of here costume until almost the end, had me baffled. A corset??? The peoples marksmanship was incredible...do you ever wonder why it takes cops 26 shots to hit a guy 3 times...stress. Although there were some great moments. I like the hospital...although I think it would have been better to actually explore the hospital more. I think I would have killed the kid with the camera right off the bat! The black panther group? was cool...except the part where the leader tells the girl, your a lot like me...blah!

I think it was better than Land but it was not as good as day or dawn...This is my opinion...I think it was a lot more mainstream than the other movies...except for Land. I think my wife could actually watch it where as with Dawn or Day she would not. With all the possibilities out there the direct it took seemed a bit limited...alot of time spent trying to develop characters but I felt that time was wasted since the characters changed throughout the movie. This changed or development was wonderful but a little less time could have been spent then on introducing them. Thats all I gotta say about than.

tju1973
21-May-2008, 03:40 PM
I picked mine up at Best Buy yesterday-- I got the $19.99 version that came with the book "The Zen of Zombie"-- Pretty cool..

Anyway, all in all I loved the movie-- a few wierd continuity errors-- (no one seemed dirty or greasy after 3 days of traveling and fighting zombies..), but I really liked it MORE than Land-- seemed better to take the full feature length to concentrate on one story and just a few people....

I hope we get a "Diary 2" or "Dusk of the Dead" or something else tight like this one was--

I give it a A or an A- ( I gave Land more of a B to B-)

Dawn--A+
Day--A to A+
Night--A

Just my humble opinions though..

kidgloves
21-May-2008, 08:02 PM
I edited the title for you.

I went to Best Buy with the intention of getting Diary and the new Night disc until I noticed the steep price tag and promptly exited the store.

I refuse to pay $17.99 (or $15.99 in the case of Night) for a new DVD on release day. The only way I know how to battle rediculous prices is to refuse to pay them.

I will get this DVD(s) eventually, but not until the price becomes reasonable or someone offers them up for trade, which shouldn't be long in the case of Diary, since the opinions are so mixed on that one.

I got it, went to CC it was $14.99

Christ. You want to see the prices in the UK. :annoyed:

venom012
21-May-2008, 09:45 PM
got mine today. I have to say a pretty decent zombie movie.

AcesandEights
21-May-2008, 10:43 PM
The store I went to yesterday hadn't recieved their shipment (of a single DVD of Diary) as of yet.

Borders didn't have it.

Circuit City, who was apparently selling the DVD for 13.99, was sold out.

Best Buy, who was selling it for 17.99 and throwing a copy of the Tao of Zombie (or something like that), was also sold out.

No luck today.:(

DubiousComforts
22-May-2008, 04:02 AM
Best Buy, who was selling it for 17.99 and throwing a copy of the Tao of Zombie (or something like that), was also sold out.
The Best Buy exclusive set including The Zen of Zombie is being sold for $24.99 while the regular edition is $17.99. My area store was almost sold out of both in the New Releases section with only one copy left of the Zen edition (which I couldn't have cared less about).

The new NIGHT DVD was stuck in the Horror section and obviously not selling as well. The half-assed cover makes it look exactly like every half-assed horror film released in the last 10 years. The House on Haunted Hill remake for example:

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/11940h.jpg

slickwilly13
22-May-2008, 02:55 PM
I just found a two pack at K-Mart of Diary and Night for 24.99, by far the best price I've seen. It is a K-Mart exclusive so head on over there ASAP if you haven't got a copy yet.

That's a damn good deal. Too bad K-Mart has folded in my area.

What's special about The Zen of Zombie?

bassman
22-May-2008, 04:42 PM
I have to say that after seeing the film again at home...I'm not as impressed with it like I was in the theater. Not that it's bad. I still like it.

It's got some awesome moments and then it's got some moments that left me thinking "wha?":rockbrow:. Still a good film, though.

DubiousComforts
22-May-2008, 04:48 PM
What's special about The Zen of Zombie?
Absolutely nothing. It's a lame "exclusive" that has nothing to do with DIARY, which is why I bought the regular edition.

I'm probably going to pick-up the K-Mart two-pack, return the sealed discs to Best Buy and save $10. Good find, axlish. :D

tju1973
22-May-2008, 07:23 PM
The Best Buy exclusive set including The Zen of Zombie is being sold for $24.99 while the regular edition is $17.99. My area store was almost sold out of both in the New Releases section with only one copy left of the Zen edition (which I couldn't have cared less about).

The new NIGHT DVD was stuck in the Horror section and obviously not selling as well. The half-assed cover makes it look exactly like every half-assed horror film released in the last 10 years. The House on Haunted Hill remake for example:

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/11940h.jpg

Our Best Buy (Dallas/Ft Worth TX) has Diary w/"Zen of Zombie" for $19.99--regulary $24.99 or something-- Diary alone was $17.99-- so I opeted for Diary w/ the book.

The book has nothing to do with the movie, but it is humuorous and follows in the vein of "Zen and Motorcyle Riding" "Zen and Sailboating".."Zen and ----"-- you get the point.

AcesandEights
22-May-2008, 10:38 PM
I got it!

Now to see if it's as good as I remember it and if the DVD extras are up to snuff! :D

clanglee
22-May-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm not exactly psyched to get the DVD. Probably will pick it up at some point. It was just such a :| movie.

Dillinger
22-May-2008, 11:27 PM
A couple months ago, you guys were breaking my balls over my opinion of Diary. But from the lackluster attention you guys are giving the DVD, I guess you're finally starting to come around. All I can say is, that movie was a piece of work.

This is one Romero movie that won't be in my collection. That is, unless it comes out on blu-ray. Then I might buy it just because i'm a completist.

clanglee
23-May-2008, 12:12 AM
I never busted anyones balls over the movie. From first viewing i was unimpressed, sadly. Maybe if I watch it again it won't be so bad? We'll see I guess.

bassman
23-May-2008, 12:38 PM
Anyone watched it with commentary yet?

Zombie Snack
23-May-2008, 12:50 PM
I picked up the diary/night combo at 9 a.m. may 21 at k-mart, there was 1 more left in the display...they said it was the last 1 in the store...

Skippy911sc
23-May-2008, 04:01 PM
Anyone watched it with commentary yet?

I watched it a second time but this time with the commentary on but it did not change my impression of the film, or the filmmaker. I thought it was a little self glorifying is some way. I understand GAR a little better, almost that he is making a big joke out of these movies or genre. It was hard to hear everyone in the commentary, but I did like how they pointed out all the stars that did the radio broadcasts or little cameos in the film. Some good some bad.

sandrock74
23-May-2008, 11:12 PM
I just got done watching it and it was "ok". I liked it as a pure zombie film but not as a Romero zombie film. If it doesn't fit into continuity, then why include the news reports? Why confuse people?

With the way I think (and I know that can be scary), it is included in the Dead timeline due to the inclusion of those reports. The dating is wrong (spring in Night and october in Diary), but no biggie. I had always thought Night took place in the fall anyway due to the leafless trees and the early reasonably early nightfall. I never really listened to anything Johnny had to say regardless, so his inane ramblings of time changes was nothing major to me.

My big question with the movie is, why did no one lock the back door? And who thought sealing themselves into a panic room (essentially a vault) would be a good idea??

Just my opinions on things.

jim102016
24-May-2008, 04:38 PM
I bought a copy from Walmart yesterday, watched it last night. To be honest, I don't know what to think. Had it been a regular movie, it might have been better. There was too much talking, too much drama, and not enough of the dead. The Amish guy was interesting, as was the pool scene.

I'm not sure what I expected, but I was disappointed by the end of the movie. Many of you will probably feel the same way, not interested in a sequel.

slickwilly13
24-May-2008, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a renter, so that's what I am going to do.

DubiousComforts
24-May-2008, 09:39 PM
If it doesn't fit into continuity, then why include the news reports? Why confuse people?

With the way I think (and I know that can be scary), it is included in the Dead timeline due to the inclusion of those reports.
I don't see the confusion. DIARY takes place at the start of the phenomenon, but that doesn't mean that it automatically follows the same continuity as NIGHT. The news reports in NIGHT mention radiation and the Venus Probe often, but there is no mention of a possible cause in DIARY.

The dating is wrong (spring in Night and october in Diary), but no biggie.

I had always thought Night took place in the fall anyway due to the leafless trees and the early reasonably early nightfall. I never really listened to anything Johnny had to say regardless, so his inane ramblings of time changes was nothing major to me.
There are several continuity errors in NIGHT (example: the posse members are suddenly wearing jackets due to the bonfire being filmed in November-December) but it doesn't change the fact that NIGHT takes place in April while DIARY takes place in October. The two films were never intended to follow the same continuity.

AnxietyDilemma
24-May-2008, 10:57 PM
I guess I'm in the minority but I liked the film, and I liked it for what it is. It seems a lot of people want George to make another Dawn Of The Dead rather than to try to experiment with something new. The thing is, we have Dawn Of The Dead so can't we just enjoy it? I skimmed through reviews on Amazon and it's evident in that some people saw it fit to give this movie 1 star. You may dislike it but it is certainly higher than a 1!

My only complaint is how blatant George was with his social commentary where he seemed to keep pointing it out to us. We get it, ok?

Dead Hoosier
25-May-2008, 06:25 PM
I picked it up two days ago and have watched it twice...haven't got into the extra features yet.
I too really like the film. It is hardly a classic, but a big step in the right direction after the absurd Land.
There was a question as to why they locked themselves into the panic room -- it was really the only choice. By stocking up and going in, they can wait out the zombies and wait for them to get bored and move on. Where they may've screwed up was not getting the keys to one of the vehicles.
It will be interesting to see if there is a follow-up, will Romero continue this story?
I can understand why some may not like this film -- much more than I can understand how anyone could love Land. It will always sit behind the top 3 in my book, but as someone that thinks most movies -- and just about ALL horror -- these days suck, it was a fun experience.
Bring on the sequel!!!

C5NOTLD
26-May-2008, 11:53 PM
Well after picking up the dvd I saw it for the first time.

It was ok. I thought the concept was pretty interesting. A few nice moments (not as bad as I thought it would be and enjoyed it more than Land) but I have to admit there was a touch of disappointment.

For me each Of the Dead films kept getting larger in scope/size. Diary seemed to reverse that. The filmmaker response probably would be "that was what the script called for." But I think many fans expected a larger scale zombie film. Had Diary been made by someone other than Romero it would probably be liked better as it still is much better than most of the other zombie films made. I think we come to expect too much from Romero mainly because he's delivered it so big in the past.

My favorites are still NOTLD and Dawn (original).

darth los
27-May-2008, 02:47 AM
Well after picking up the dvd I saw it for the first time.

It was ok. I thought the concept was pretty interesting. A few nice moments (not as bad as I thought it would be and enjoyed it more than Land) but I have to admit there was a touch of disappointment.

For me each Of the Dead films kept getting larger in scope/size. Diary seemed to reverse that. The filmmaker response probably would be "that was what the script called for." But I think many fans expected a larger scale zombie film. Had Diary been made by someone other than Romero it would probably be liked better as it still is much better than most of the other zombie films made. I think we come to expect too much from Romero mainly because he's delivered it so big in the past.

My favorites are still NOTLD and Dawn (original).

It's funny cause i got through netflix. I'm not in love with the film but if it were anyone other than GAR who made it i'd never give it a second thought. But since he did i need to own it.

MinionZombie
03-Jun-2008, 06:10 PM
Good news for us Brits, the 90 minute documentary that was previously "tbc", is now confirmed to appear on the 2-disc Region 2 DVD which boasts many more extras than the Region 1 DVD.

It's certainly a turn up for the books, as all of GAR's other zed flicks have been best represented on Region 1 dvd (e.g. the 4-disc Dawn set, which pwned arse up and down the street).

Legion2213
03-Jun-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, the Dawn Ultimate package is a bit frackin' special innit? :cool:

As for the Diary 2-Discer, I really hope I'm not as disapointed as some folks are with this flick (not seen it yet). :(

ProfessorChaos
03-Jun-2008, 07:13 PM
a buddy of mine from work is a fan of the original night, but he's only seen the dawn remake and parts of the original day.

i let him borrow my diary dvd the other day, but i refuse to let my dawn 4 disc ultimate edition leave my apartment (since how it's got sentimental value-a buddy bought it for me for my birthday at a px in baghdad), so he's (dude from work) gonna come over this weekend for a screening of the original dawn, day, and the night remake.

good times:)

bassman
03-Jun-2008, 07:26 PM
Good news for us Brits, the 90 minute documentary that was previously "tbc", is now confirmed to appear on the 2-disc Region 2 DVD which boasts many more extras than the Region 1 DVD.

It's certainly a turn up for the books, as all of GAR's other zed flicks have been best represented on Region 1 dvd (e.g. the 4-disc Dawn set, which pwned arse up and down the street).

I think the R1 has that 90 minute documentary....:confused:

MinionZombie
03-Jun-2008, 08:55 PM
I think the R1 has that 90 minute documentary....:confused:
Yeah, but it's only got that and about 4 other extras, whereas the R2 has all those, PLUS loads more. :cool:

And it's also in limited edition tin packaging. :p

Legion - try not to think about it too much, just have fun with it, give it a chance. It's certainly not GAR's best work, and certainly not his best zed flick, but it's worthwhile nonetheless I say. Personally though, I liked Land more, but that's just my own opinion.

I look forward to checking out the 2-discer later on this month though. :)

capncnut
03-Jun-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, but it's only got that and about 4 other extras, whereas the R2 has all those, PLUS loads more. :cool:
I just saw the contents and yeah, we got s**tloads more. Wonder why that is?

Redman6565
04-Jun-2008, 12:15 AM
I find a lot of faults with Diary. If GAR were retelling everything from day one with Diary I could get into it more. Sort of like starting everything over. Forget about all the other movies, that sort of thing. Then he could go from there and make the entire series with a modern vision. That would be cool.

ProfessorChaos
04-Jun-2008, 05:35 AM
so the buddy of mine from work who borrowed diary really didn't like it at all, and for some of the same reasons many others find fault with it: inconsistencies with numbers of ghouls in various places (samuel's farm vs. the militia warehouse), over-saturation of the commentary, moronic jason filming while his girl is being attacked by her re-animated brother (not to mention her and tony suddenly becoming best pals), and the professor and his cynical attitude and flask. he said the film never once was suspenseful or scary. on most points i agree, the film was fun in theaters, but it's really lost its luster. still better than most crap that us zombie fans must suffer through.

i did assure him, however, that romero's dawn of the dead is hands-down the most epic horror film ever. he's probably gonna swing over this weekend for a viewing. as i've mentioned, he's a fan of the original notld and will probably love dawn....otherwise i'm gonna have to cut all ties with him.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2008, 10:43 AM
I just saw the contents and yeah, we got s**tloads more. Wonder why that is?
Cos we're awesomer than they are, nuff said really. :p

Mike70
04-Jun-2008, 05:47 PM
Cos we're awesomer than they are, nuff said really. :p

we need to have a middle finger smiley on here.:D

i've watched this a couple of more times and despite its problems, i still like it. it isn't a movie that makes me want to flip for a peanut but i don't think it is horrible (or even bad). certainly not george's best (not even close) but certainly not the worst movie he's ever done.

the commentary was interesting but after listening to the day and dawn commentaries (which are awesome - you are cheating yourself if you haven't llistened to them) i thought it was subpar to those.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2008, 08:53 PM
Aye, the GAR commentaries - those done in retrospect mainly - are the best ones, especially when it's an excuse to get him and some of his gang back together again, because you get that great 'old friends back together again' vibe watching a movie they haven't looked at in quite a while usually.

The Dawn commentaries are awesome (well, not the Rubenstein one, it's all business and very dry and slow going). You can usually bet on a GAR commentary being a good one, mind you, Bruiser's was a bit iffy - especially the audio mix which was horrible as I found the commentary to be so quiet and the actual audio to have not been toned down at all, so both streams were fighting with each other.

The Land commentary was better, but not his best. Indeed though, the likes of Dawn and Day have excellent commentaries, I also remember the one for Knightriders being rather groovy too.

Creepshow (R2) also gets good treatment, as does Night.

MoonSylver
05-Jun-2008, 12:23 AM
i've watched this a couple of more times and despite its problems, i still like it. it isn't a movie that makes me want to flip for a peanut but i don't think it is horrible (or even bad). certainly not george's best (not even close) but certainly not the worst movie he's ever done.

Thank god someone else feels the same way I do. With all the dislike that seems to have come with the DVD release I was starting to think I was the only one who even remotely liked it (flaws & all). Seemed like when the early reviews were coming in from those who had seen it in the theater they were mostly positive & now that the DVD is out it's mostly negative. Weird.

MinionZombie
05-Jun-2008, 10:22 AM
Haters usually shout the loudest, well in some cases anyway.

I mean how dare anybody come to a George Romero fan website and like the guy's movies, you know? :p

I'm with Scip, it's not his best movie, but it's not his worst either. It is flawed, but it also has a lot of good parts - which are in the majority I think - so ultimately I'm in favour of the flick. :cool:

Redman6565
06-Jun-2008, 12:53 AM
Thank god someone else feels the same way I do. With all the dislike that seems to have come with the DVD release I was starting to think I was the only one who even remotely liked it (flaws & all). Seemed like when the early reviews were coming in from those who had seen it in the theater they were mostly positive & now that the DVD is out it's mostly negative. Weird.

I don't hate Diary (really) I just think it has to many things through out that make me wonder what GAR was thinking. As to why so many people are now bashing it. Simple, it didn't show at many theaters. Most people will see it on DVD. I'm glad I bought it even though it didn't like it over all. There is some cool stuff in it. I hope Diary 2 goes back to a good old GAR shooting it movie rather than the POV.

MoonSylver
06-Jun-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't hate Diary (really) I just think it has to many things through out that make me wonder what GAR was thinking. As to why so many people are now bashing it. Simple, it didn't show at many theaters. Most people will see it on DVD. I'm glad I bought it even though it didn't like it over all. There is some cool stuff in it. I hope Diary 2 goes back to a good old GAR shooting it movie rather than the POV.

One of the things this thread got me to thinking about was this:

If, say, Night or Dawn came out TODAY,more or less as is, I wounder if we would feel the same way about them as we do now, or be less forgiving of the flaws, as some have been with Diary? I personally feel like they're great films period, but I wonder how much of that view is colored by nostalgia? I'm starting to second guess myself. Not good...:annoyed:

clanglee
06-Jun-2008, 08:05 AM
One of the things this thread got me to thinking about was this:

If, say, Night or Dawn came out TODAY,more or less as is, I wounder if we would feel the same way about them as we do now, or be less forgiving of the flaws, as some have been with Diary? I personally feel like they're great films period, but I wonder how much of that view is colored by nostalgia? I'm starting to second guess myself. Not good...:annoyed:

Nah, cause it was still new, fresh, and original then.

Haters usually shout the loudest, well in some cases anyway.

I mean how dare anybody come to a George Romero fan website and like the guy's movies, you know? :p

:moon: :D

Staredge
09-Jun-2008, 02:37 AM
Finally got around to watching it. I liked it. Like some, there were things I didn't like or didn't really agree with, but overall I don't feel like I wasted 1 1/2 hours of my life.

Of course, I haven't watched all of the movies 602 times and don't pick up on a lot of the in jokes and references in the movies, so YMMV.

I liked the Amish guy. Liked the pool as well. Would liked to have seen more done with that. I can understand the panic room being a last-ditch decision. Nothing like being stuck.

AnxietyDilemma
09-Jun-2008, 04:52 AM
I liked the Amish guy. Liked the pool as well. Would liked to have seen more done with that. I can understand the panic room being a last-ditch decision. Nothing like being stuck.

I liked the Amish guy for the simple fact that you could tell that was George having some fun.

clanglee
11-Jun-2008, 01:07 AM
I liked the Amish guy for the simple fact that you could tell that was George having some fun.

I liked him too. . . He had the best dialog in the movie!! ;):D

AcesandEights
11-Jun-2008, 01:37 AM
He had the best dialog in the movie!! ;):D

:sneaky: Ba Zing :sneaky:

MinionZombie
11-Jun-2008, 09:59 AM
Despite the zinger, I really liked the Amish guy, that whole segment was awesome I though, just good fun. :)

clanglee
11-Jun-2008, 08:21 PM
You have to admit it was a pretty good one tho. :D I did actually like the amish guy as well. . honestly. . .until the end with the whole <spoiler>scycle through the head thing<spoiler>

hadrian0117
11-Jun-2008, 10:47 PM

I liked it, but was still a little disappointed. This is his 4th zombie film set in Pennsylvania, but we still didn't get to see an actual Amish zombie. Professor Maxwell wanting to get to a "state store while they're still open" was a nice touch. ;) Especially since in real they're considered so important to the commonwealth that they're kept open even when every other government agency (save civil defence and the prisons) are closed.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Sep-2008, 06:56 PM
Funny how much Toronto is looking more like Pennsylvania everyday, or is it the other way around.

Well you know what I mean.