PDA

View Full Version : paper money ruled unfair to blind people...

Mike70
20-May-2008, 06:09 PM
this makes perfect sense to me and i am surprised that something like this hasn't happened before. the american council of the blind sued the treasury dept for being in violation of the rehabilitation act of 1973.

some ideas for making paper money more easy for blind/visually impaired folks include: making bills different sizes, using raised markings or using foil stamping to make different bills more easily discernable.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/20/news/money_blind/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

Danny
20-May-2008, 06:16 PM
why not put wholes in the corner? 1 for 1 2 for 5 3 for 10 4 for 20 ect.

MinionZombie
20-May-2008, 06:50 PM
Or brail money or something. I hadn't thought about this at all, a fair point indeed.

There should be something on money to make it clear for blind people, I'm behind that for sure.

p2501
20-May-2008, 07:40 PM
all well and good. but the debit card sorta bypasses this all together. the system by design is touch/blind friendly, and eliminates the need to carry cash.

we can get into a pissing contest about "well i like to use cash" or "but you need a bank account in order to.." but to me the reality is just go with what works.

Danny
20-May-2008, 07:42 PM
all well and good. but the debit card sorta bypasses this all together. the system by design is touch/blind friendly, and eliminates the need to carry cash.

we can get into a pissing contest about "well i like to use cash" or "but you need a bank account in order to.." but to me the reality is just go with what works.

..or invent something more accessible.

p2501
20-May-2008, 07:50 PM
true.

even to that end you can get prepaid cards with all the same functionality.

Craig
20-May-2008, 08:40 PM
In the UK notes are different sizes.