PDA

View Full Version : Diary can't take place the same time as Night.

hadrian0117
22-May-2008, 03:03 AM
Diary and Night don't take place at the same time afterall. Diary takes place in late October, but Night took place some time in the spring (right after the clocks went forward). Then again they're listening to the same radio reports as Ben, Barbra, the Coopers, et al did. Did anyone else notice this?

clanglee
22-May-2008, 03:30 AM
Not to mention that Diary took place 40years after Night. :rolleyes:

Danny
22-May-2008, 03:47 AM
right from day one romeros said diarys a stand alone zombie fim in a completely different universe to the other zombie films he's done, theres no continuity or connection to the dead tetralogy, 'nuff said.

3pidemiC
22-May-2008, 03:57 AM
I never heard that rumor...

bassman
23-May-2008, 12:37 PM
I think the original post is refering to interviews with Romero in which he said that it's on the first night of the outbreak. Around the same time as Night. So some people took it to mean that the events in Diary are parallel to the events in Night.

But he also said that it's an entirely different universe(like ALL the films, imo). So I can see where the OP got confused...

darth los
23-May-2008, 04:03 PM
I know he said that it's a stand alone story but he sure seems to go out of his way to imply otherwise in his flms. Why use the same news reports then? I can see that he might have wanted to give long time fans a thrill but it confuses other people. This is not the first time he's been vauge either. If all you've seen is dawn or day you would get the impression that only bites bring people back. If you saw Night then you would know that's not true.

And yes I'm aware that in the opening scene of dawn the scientists says that "every dead body that is not exterminated gets up and kills. The people it kills get up and kill." However, there's so much chaos that it's hard to pick up, i sure didn't at first. My point is that its far from explicitly stated.

Furthermore, If the first 3 are indeed stand alone films the progression of the plauge from one film to the next points to a link between them. You get the sense that it's the same catastrophe only from different perspectives and at different points of the phenomenon. In night there are way more humans than ghouls. In dawn the numbers start about even steven and end up skewed heavily towards the ghouls and in day its basically armegedon.:blood: Maybe they're not related in storyline but certainly in timeline. (By the way, How's that day comes before land debate going nowdays guys? lol)

bassman
23-May-2008, 04:16 PM
Damn it, Darth! Don't start another timeline dispute. I don't think I can handle another one.:dead:

But yeah, Romero has been pretty vauge about it all. I think the news reports are just a nod to the fans kind of like Blades/Machete Zombie in Land.

Danny
23-May-2008, 04:17 PM
it was just fan service, simple as.

darth los
23-May-2008, 04:20 PM

And what fan in their right mind DOESN'T want to be "serviced"? :cool:

sandrock74
23-May-2008, 11:04 PM
And what fan in their right mind DOESN'T want to be "serviced"? :cool:

*walks in*
Is this the line for fans to be serviced?

Griff
23-May-2008, 11:59 PM
What's so hard to get? Each movie is set the time that they're made (undisclosed, though, it may be - but with all the technology and social issues of that particular era) - only the zombie phenomenon has progressed further in each subsequent installment.

clanglee
24-May-2008, 12:17 AM
It's not har to get. . .I agree with you there Griff. But be careful with this thread guys, It is teetering into the "timeline" argument again.

Doc
25-May-2008, 08:18 AM

Proof is on the DVD Audio commentary

Chapter 13, Time: 51:00 give or take a few seconds. During the scene where we hear the old newscast from NOTLD, George himself mentions its directly lifted AND jounalist were questioning him why by the 4th film (Land) the zombies were pretty smart & in Diary they're stupid again...he basically said 'this is the beginning, when it all started' during the original Night.

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2008, 03:46 PM
*walks in*

I hope so, and I hope the service is good. I would like to be serviced by #9 thank you very much.

darth los
25-May-2008, 08:35 PM

Chapter 13, Time: 51:00 give or take a few seconds. During the scene where we hear the old newscast from NOTLD, George himself mentions its directly lifted AND jounalist were questioning him why by the 4th film (Land) the zombies were pretty smart & in Diary they're stupid again...he basically said 'this is the beginning, when it all started' during the original Night.

It's definitely a reset to the series. He took it as far as he could with land and a lot of fans didn't agree where he took the series. The ghouls were always relatively "smart". The could use tools and such and in some cases figure out certain simple problems. However, it was all in the pursuit of getting food. Big daddy didn't even look like he was interested in feeding. Even bub wanted to feed on human flesh. I know the old line "We're them and they're us" but me thinks they were too much like us, to the point where they weren't even scary anymore. They seemed more interested in finding a vacation spot than nything else.

Both diary and land are missing something but i can't quite put my finger on it.

sandrock74
26-May-2008, 05:47 PM
I hope so, and I hope the service is good. I would like to be serviced by #9 thank you very much.

Ewww....zombie cooties! And #9 would bite your wiener off. OUCH!

darth los
26-May-2008, 06:38 PM

Yes, but i think that it's still unclear as to whether it's a new beginning from scratch that has nothing to do with the other films or the beginning in the sense of it's the same plauge and timeline filmed from the start only from a different groups perspective. :confused:

SRP76
26-May-2008, 09:14 PM
Of course, this is only an issue because Romero is lazy. How hard is it to remember what date you set the first movie on, and slap "April XX" on the screen in Diary instead of "October"? A monkey with a balloon could accomplish a task that simple. Yet, Romero couldn't be bothered.

clanglee
26-May-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't really see why he had to do that? The continuity error is really kinda small when you think about the fact that as a reset of the series, Diary shouldn't be held accountable for the continuity of the previous movies.

darth los
27-May-2008, 02:49 AM
Of course, this is only an issue because Romero is lazy. How hard is it to remember what date you set the first movie on, and slap "April XX" on the screen in Diary instead of "October"? A monkey with a balloon could accomplish a task that simple. Yet, Romero couldn't be bothered.

Inconsistencies of all kinds are a staple of GAR's dead films, the temporal variety being only one of them.

ZombieGrrL
27-May-2008, 04:39 AM
Diary and Night don't take place at the same time afterall. Diary takes place in late October, but Night took place some time in the spring (right after the clocks went forward). Then again they're listening to the same radio reports as Ben, Barbra, the Coopers, et al did. Did anyone else notice this?Do you mind not putting possible spoilers in the subject of your thread?:mad:

Some people may not have seen this (including myself) and I don't want to know about it until I do. There are plenty of Diary threads that you could have discussed this in.

Redman6565
29-May-2008, 01:18 AM
I don't care who does the next zombie flick but I have always wanted to see people use those big snow plow trucks and kick some major zombie butt! To be honest, that is the first thing I'd do is get in one of those damn trucks and go get what ever I wanted and needed. We don't need no stinking bullets!!! Who's with me!!!!!!? :D

dirtydwarf
04-Jun-2008, 10:34 PM
Both diary and land are missing something but i can't quite put my finger on it.

Yeah, Black leads :D

Redman6565
06-Jun-2008, 01:13 AM
I think Diary was missing a plot for a black lead. :lol: Heck, how about a plot for someone who can act..... Hey don't shoot me for dreaming.

acealive1
06-Jun-2008, 02:40 AM
*walks in*

*taps a bat in one hand repeatedly*

sure is:elol::elol:

dirtydwarf
06-Jun-2008, 03:23 PM
*taps a bat in one hand repeatedly*

sure is:elol::elol:

To be seviced with a bat!! :eek:

Omni
10-Jun-2008, 07:20 AM
wouldn't that really REALLY hurt your bum? http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/images/s_eek.gif

DeadJonas190
12-Jun-2008, 05:37 AM
This is not the first time he's been vauge either. If all you've seen is dawn or day you would get the impression that only bites bring people back. If you saw Night then you would know that's not true.

I really don't know anybody who got the impression that only bites brought people back until the Dawn remake where it is actually stated that only bites bring people back and we all know that the Dawn remake doesn't count lol.

But I do understand what your saying, it is a bit vague as to how people are reanimated in Dawn and Day, but I always found that as part of what makes me like the movie so much. Not everything needs to be explained, but most modern zombie movies try to explain how the outbreak occurs and it pretty much ruins most of them.

EvilNed
12-Jun-2008, 10:41 AM

Erhm... Ever consider it was a deliberate choice to seperate them?

MapMan
13-Jun-2008, 03:09 PM
In my opinion:

Night, Diary and Dawn all take place in the same time frame.
Day then Land of course.

Romero may not have had the funds to create back to back flicks. He might have been busy writing / directing. He didn't really make any money from Night.....and he does need to eat and pay the bills just like we do.

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 01:49 AM
Yeah, Black leads :D

By george i think he's got it!! Genius man !! :cool: