PDA

View Full Version : Tony Todd to star in GAR sequel to dawn?

Tied2thetracks
22-May-2008, 08:02 PM
http://www.moviehole.net:80/news/20080521_candyman_takes_on_the_dead.html

Has anyone heard about this?

capncnut
22-May-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, and it's gotta stop. No offence to Todd btw.

Tied2thetracks
22-May-2008, 08:53 PM
I agree, I have pretty much lost all faith in GAR, land was the start, diary was the dagger. All we need is another film full of B actor sterotyped charactors speaking in cliches.

I still respect the mans work, imho I think has seen some seious decline.

capncnut
22-May-2008, 09:34 PM
Actually it's Rubinstein that's gonna be in charge of this turd. But I do agree that the quality of Romero's movies have significantly dropped in recent years. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy them but they are no where near as epic as his movies of old.

As for the Dawn sequel, I'm not going near it with a barge pole.

Tied2thetracks
22-May-2008, 09:37 PM
They are making a real DAWN sequel without GAR? What the hell is wrong with Hollywood?

3pidemiC
22-May-2008, 10:52 PM
They are making a real DAWN sequel without GAR? What the hell is wrong with Hollywood?

I wouldn't even consider B-Grade horror flicks such as this or Day '08 to even be a part of "Hollywood".

AnxietyDilemma
23-May-2008, 03:49 AM
I actually do like Land and Diary, but I must say that the series is being ruined for me, it's become too saturated as it is with: Night 90, Night 3d, Dawn 04, Day 08, Day of the Dead Contagium, and now this? Most of those movies mentioned aren't even watchable and whether they're directly linked to the series or not, it has served to ruin it all for me.

3pidemiC
23-May-2008, 05:51 AM
Just pretend like they never happened...

Well, most of them anyways...

axlish
23-May-2008, 02:30 PM
Seeing as how this project looks to be damn near innevitable, I'm bracing on and hoping for the best. So far, the news is ok. Todd is an excellent choice at least.

Deadman_Deluxe
23-May-2008, 02:49 PM
I wonder why Ken Foree is not playing his own part? Likewise with Gaylen Ross?

Personally, if those two actors would not sign up for this movie, then i would take the creative decision NOT to make the movie!!!

jim102016
23-May-2008, 06:14 PM
Wow, another GAR ripoff. I was convinced there'd never be a sequel to Dawn. Don't know about that 'Candyman' guy

I'd be more inclined to see it if GAR was at least involved in its production, and the studio convinced Ross and Foree to appear in starring parts. It would be tricky though, since its been thirty years.

Maybe use the younger actors for flashbacks? Dawn of the Dead + 30 years?

Would that actually be 'Twilight of the Dead'? Maybe George should get involved so it doesn't get all ****ed up.

Kaos
23-May-2008, 06:24 PM

I doubt Gaylen Ross could pull off being a pregnant woman at 58 - no matter how good she looks for her age.

capncnut
23-May-2008, 06:25 PM
I'd be surprised if they are not protesting against the whole project.

SRP76
23-May-2008, 09:20 PM
the new flick will pick up where the original left off – with the survivors of a zombie plague boarding a helicopter for an unknown destination.

This is all that is said about the movie in that article. And, from that, all you people get "oh, it's bound to suck".:rolleyes:

EvilNed
23-May-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey, I'm intrigued. But yes, it can turn out to be crap - and it probably will.

DjfunkmasterG
23-May-2008, 10:59 PM
Hell I would kill to direct this... Not to piss on George or anything, just to make sure the vibe of the original film isn't tarnished. It may be a long shot, **** it is a huge long shot, but I asked my agent to contact them and put me on the list... used my teaser for Trapped as my demo reel.

DubiousComforts
24-May-2008, 01:02 AM
This is all that is said about the movie in that article. And, from that, all you people get "oh, it's bound to suck".:rolleyes:

This is what I read in the original article: "Rubinstein also has plans to create a direct sequel to the original DAWN(!)"

And given his recent track record as producer and Dead licensor, yes, I know it will suck.

Deadman_Deluxe
24-May-2008, 02:47 AM
I doubt Gaylen Ross could pull off being a pregnant woman at 58 - no matter how good she looks for her age.

I must have missed the part where it says she is pregnant? :confused:

Kaos
24-May-2008, 05:05 PM
She is pregnant with Stephen's baby at the end of Dawn. If this movie takes place right after the end of the original Dawn then she is about ready to burst.

UndeadGuyX
24-May-2008, 08:23 PM
I must have missed the part where it says she is pregnant? :confused:

The hell? You skip over all of Fran's parts in the original DotD? :confused:

SymphonicX
25-May-2008, 12:37 AM
Wow, another GAR ripoff. I was convinced there'd never be a sequel to Dawn. Don't know about that 'Candyman' guy

I'd be more inclined to see it if GAR was at least involved in its production, and the studio convinced Ross and Foree to appear in starring parts. It would be tricky though, since its been thirty years.

Maybe use the younger actors for flashbacks? Dawn of the Dead + 30 years?

Would that actually be 'Twilight of the Dead'? Maybe George should get involved so it doesn't get all ****ed up.

Flashbacks in movies = NO...:D

as you said, tricky considering it's been thirty years - the timeline in this universe is already skewed because of Land and Diary, this would totally throw it into disarray.

Don't you think Twilight of the Dead is the worst possible title for a movie ever? I mean it sounds like a student attempt at a dead movie....(ie: night 3d haha)

jim102016
25-May-2008, 01:59 AM
Flashbacks in movies = NO...:D

as you said, tricky considering it's been thirty years - the timeline in this universe is already skewed because of Land and Diary, this would totally throw it into disarray.

Don't you think Twilight of the Dead is the worst possible title for a movie ever? I mean it sounds like a student attempt at a dead movie....(ie: night 3d haha)

Ha, I just watched a student attempted dead movie last night (Diary)! After that, I would like to see GAR redeem himself. Let him go back to his roots, forget about his recent efforts...use the original Peter and Fran thirty years later, (post-Day') with younger actors to reinact what happened after they left the mall. I guess Twilight' is a bad title .

Wishful thinking, I'm sure this will develop into another ****ty ripoff.

SymphonicX
25-May-2008, 02:38 AM
Ha, I just watched a student attempted dead movie last night (Diary)! After that, I would like to see GAR redeem himself. Let him go back to his roots, forget about his recent efforts...use the original Peter and Fran thirty years later, (post-Day') with younger actors to reinact what happened after they left the mall. I guess Twilight' is a bad title .

Wishful thinking, I'm sure this will develop into another ****ty ripoff.

Look at it like the Star Wars prequels, you'll see where I'm coming from. I just donn't believe anything can be brought to a dead movie by bringing back characters in that manner...Peter and Fran were part of one segment of the timeline, and the theme of the movies is that the only aspect of continuity are the zombies....

As for flashbacks....certainly suits some types of movie, but Romero has a very real edge to his stuff, and flashbacks might sort of break that realism...

I've still to see Diary though....my eternal laziness has kept me from it. One thing's for sure, I'm not convinced by a supposedly amatuer movie shot on HD cameras....either go for gritty realism or polished cinematography.... but I'm prejudging and digressing....:p

jim102016
25-May-2008, 04:09 AM
Look at it like the Star Wars prequels, you'll see where I'm coming from. I just donn't believe anything can be brought to a dead movie by bringing back characters in that manner...Peter and Fran were part of one segment of the timeline, and the theme of the movies is that the only aspect of continuity are the zombies....

As for flashbacks....certainly suits some types of movie, but Romero has a very real edge to his stuff, and flashbacks might sort of break that realism...

I've still to see Diary though....my eternal laziness has kept me from it. One thing's for sure, I'm not convinced by a supposedly amatuer movie shot on HD cameras....either go for gritty realism or polished cinematography.... but I'm prejudging and digressing....:p

I see your point. But, I figure if he was willing to take a chance with kids running around with hand-held camera...then maybe he'd be willing to say "what the hell" with a sequel.

Shadowofthedead
25-May-2008, 07:45 AM
you are going to watch the movie whether you like it or not so quit bein loud and deal with it. its a zombie movie at least it will be better than night of the dead... thats a stink fest right there

bassman
25-May-2008, 07:57 AM
Hell I would kill to direct this... Not to piss on George or anything, just to make sure the vibe of the original film isn't tarnished. It may be a long shot, **** it is a huge long shot, but I asked my agent to contact them and put me on the list... used my teaser for Trapped as my demo reel.

If there is anyone that I feel can handle such a project and respect the source material, it's you. You know....as long as you don't make the dead run.:p;)

EvilNed
25-May-2008, 07:11 PM
Am I the only one who's more worried about it being a "good movie" rather than being "true to the original"?

jim102016
25-May-2008, 10:29 PM
Am I the only one who's more worried about it being a "good movie" rather than being "true to the original"?

Some might say the two are one in the same.

you are going to watch the movie whether you like it or not so quit bein loud and deal with it. its a zombie movie at least it will be better than night of the dead... thats a stink fest right there

Nope, some of us are selective. For instance, I don't even know what the hell "Night of the Dead" is nor have I watched the Day' remake.

capncnut
26-May-2008, 02:42 AM
To be honest Ned, I don't give a s**t about the project whatsoever. It's just plain wrong, whoever directs it.

ProfessorChaos
26-May-2008, 07:01 AM
(for the record, tony todd was an ace for notld90, supoib perfoimance)

...but the more i hear about this dawn sequel, the more worried i get.:shifty:...not to mention that it's gotta be one of the worst sequel ideas of all times. rubenstein is gonna burn in hell for this one.

Scanman22
27-May-2008, 08:32 AM
Wait. . .so they are making a sequel to GAR's Dawn? And without GAR or with him?

Won't this confuse the non-dead fans of GAR probably expecting a sequel to the crappy remake?

I have always wished for a true sequel to DAWN but with Romero on board of course. I just don't understand why they did a stupid remake that ruined DAWN's name with stupid characters, fast zombies, and no moral story. But now they are going to make a sequel to the original? I'm confused. . . .

iluvc2h5oh
27-May-2008, 11:29 PM
Ving Raimes will play a soldier in it?

capncnut
28-May-2008, 06:17 PM
Ving Raimes will play a soldier in it?
It wouldn't surprise me. :rolleyes:

MapMan
29-May-2008, 03:52 PM
http://http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227143/

Escape of the Living Dead.......in case the link doesn't work.

AcesandEights
29-May-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah, Escape of the Living Dead has a suitably sh1tty ring to it...

But, hey, who knows, right? But, yeah, it'll almost certainly suck.

Then again (and I know I keep waffling on the topic), I'm just happy zombie movies are still being made. We have to get as much out of the trend while we can till it cycles down. Yes, the horrific quality of some (*cough* most *cough) of the movies will eventually play a role in the trend dying off, but we might as well make hay while the sun shines and see if any of it can get spun into gold. :dead:

Deadman_Deluxe
29-May-2008, 09:12 PM
The hell? You skip over all of Fran's parts in the original DotD? :confused:

My bad.

Obviously there was the mini flyboy in the original, but i presumed that this movie would be set years, as in about thirty years, after Dawn, what with the original actors having aged about thirty years or so since Dawn.

Thus Fran would no longer have been pregnant and mini flyboy would actually be an adult.

Furthermore, i have no genuine interest in this movie as it will most likely be made simply to generate money and will in turn be nothing more than a movie for the sake of making a movie. Unless as i originally stated, the original actors could be convinced to sign up for this movie, and George was running the ship.

Mike70
29-May-2008, 09:38 PM
with john russo at the helm, it is a safe bet that this movie will suck all known donkey balls.

there seems to be some confusion out there in medialand as to whether this is a sequel to dawn or is an "official" follow-up to night. since russo is involved, i am betting this has more to do with night than dawn.

here is an imdb link for this soon to be hatched atrocity:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227143/

We caught wind this evening of a pretty interesting horror project from Monterrey Picture Entertainment entitled Escape of the Living Dead. John Russo, co-creator of Night Of The Living Dead, wrote the script and is attached to direct the official sequel to Romero's classic '68 zombie flick. Joe Majestic, Sam Sherman will co-produce with Russ Streiner, producer of the original Notld. The official sequel will star Tony Todd (Candy Man, Final Destination), Gunnar Hansen (Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Amber Stevens and Kristina Klebe (Halloween). No other details were revealed. Watch this spot for more soon.

dracenstein
30-May-2008, 09:32 AM
This now a sequel to the original Night of the Living Dead, set in 1971?

Is this a rewrite of Children of the Living Dead?

DjfunkmasterG
30-May-2008, 11:26 AM
If there is anyone that I feel can handle such a project and respect the source material, it's you. You know....as long as you don't make the dead run.:p;)

If it is a sequel to the original DAWN.... they would be shambling. Like I said I want to keep the integrity of the original source film.

If it was a sequel to the remake, those mutherf*ckers would be supercharged. :D
Thanks for the vote of confidence Bassman! ;)

acealive1
31-May-2008, 05:10 AM
i hope he gets a HUGE starring role, he's more deserving than some of these new people who are thrust into zed films.

Redman6565
31-May-2008, 11:35 PM

Well, maybe they watched his last two movies. :D

Now that would be sick. hahaha

Wait. . .so they are making a sequel to GAR's Dawn? And without GAR or with him?

Won't this confuse the non-dead fans of GAR probably expecting a sequel to the crappy remake?

I have always wished for a true sequel to DAWN but with Romero on board of course. I just don't understand why they did a stupid remake that ruined DAWN's name with stupid characters, fast zombies, and no moral story. But now they are going to make a sequel to the original? I'm confused. . . .

Dawn '04 was a really good movie. As for the moral to the story, stay alive. As for the zombies in Dawn '04 go they are REALLY scarry. While GAR's are more creepy. I think it was a nice take of the tired slow moving zombies. Very fast human Cujo's wanting to chase you down and eat you. That would get your blood going more than the zombies from the original Dawn. The effects were very well done as well. I own both movies and enjoy both very much.

After Diary I'd rather see the crew and cast from Dawn '04 come back and do this. Or maybe Tom Savini.

Mike70
01-Jun-2008, 01:23 AM
dudes, once again - tony todd is NOT in a sequel to dawn. he is going to be in a john russo directed sequel to night called escape of the living dead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227143/

Legion2213
01-Jun-2008, 01:29 AM
(for the record, tony todd was an ace for notld90, supoib perfoimance)

Testify!

TT is one of my all time favorite actors in a Zed flick, absolutely awesome.

capncnut
01-Jun-2008, 02:28 AM
dudes, once again - tony todd is NOT in a sequel to dawn. he is going to be in a john russo directed sequel to night called escape of the living dead.
Even worse! Hasn't Russo learned his lesson after Night 30 and Children Of? :rolleyes:

dracenstein
01-Jun-2008, 04:29 PM
Somehow, I doubt I will be watching Escape of the Living Dead, not after seeing Children of the Living Dead.

Not unless it was on tv.

Millard Rausch
13-Aug-2008, 02:47 PM
Tony Todd was in "Man from Earth"
engrossing film,....all story

darth los
25-Aug-2008, 06:35 PM
Testify!

TT is one of my all time favorite actors in a Zed flick, absolutely awesome.

In the DVD extras of the notld remake Savini is being interviewed and talks about casting for the part of Ben. He says that Tony Todd came in, recieved the lines he was supossed to say, left the room for a few minutes, came back and knocked them DEAD:dead:

Savini says that the search for the Ben character was over then and there. And , may I say, I can't picture anyone else playing that role. And That's one of the greatest compliments you can give someone.

acealive1
25-Aug-2008, 09:39 PM
In the DVD extras of the notld remake Savini is being interviewed and talks about casting for the part of Ben. He says that Tony Todd came in, recieved the lines he was supossed to say, left the room for a few minutes, came back and knocked them DEAD:dead:

Savini says that the search for the Ben character was over then and there. And , may I say, I can't picture anyone else playing that role. And That's one of the greatest compliments you can give someone.

tony todd is grossly underrated

MoonSylver
25-Aug-2008, 10:09 PM

LOVE that movie. All the main characters turn in a knockout performance, Tony Todd included.

Legion2213
26-Aug-2008, 12:36 AM

Yes, very enjoyable movie, nice little twist at the end of that one.

Tonny Tod was awesome as usual.

Bub666
26-Aug-2008, 03:58 AM

That is a great movie.