PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Song Contest - Please PLEASE let's just not enter...

Neil
25-May-2008, 07:47 AM
...it finished being a 'song contest' a good while ago, and the petty politics which results in the UK always coming last now deserves the petty response of us simply not endorsing it...

PLEASE LET'S NOT ENTER ANY MORE - PLEASE!

Danny
25-May-2008, 08:46 AM
good lord thats a terrible show, lordi were good but they were kind of a satire thing, but there was a group dressed like pirates this year.

EPIC FAIL.

Tricky
25-May-2008, 09:20 AM
As usual the whole thing was absolute crap,but one thing saved it & had my jaw on the floor,the ukrainian entry!bloody hell was that girl sexy :D:stunned::cool:
http://ukiemusic.ballatondesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/picture-1.png

MinionZombie
25-May-2008, 11:16 AM
Aye, I watched the voting last night, can't be arsed with the atrocious "songs".

The voting is pathetic, it's pathetic that a sh*tty "European" "song" "contest" ends up being a bunch of neighbouring countries voting for each other, in case if they didn't they'd get bombed or something - I mean how pathetic is that.

Also, the UK piles a ton of cash into it, and each year we get bitch-slapped by a bunch of countries who don't like us.

Heck, the Western European countries are all getting it in the neck, France, Germany, they're all starting to fall way down the list.

I totally think the UK should remove itself from it completely and take all our money away from it, how'd they like it then? It's retarded, the whole thing is stupid, it's nothing to do with the actual music, it isn't a contest, it's a neighbouring country circle jerk.

We're the America of Europe, it's stupid (disclaimer, I like America, so chill out - but I'm merely making the comparison, because America globally generally isn't that popular - likewise, Britain isn't that popular in Europe - unless they can use us for something).

Tricky
25-May-2008, 11:33 AM
How come russia & israel are in the eurovision as well?didnt know they were part of europe!:confused:

Craig
25-May-2008, 11:56 AM
Israel I don't understand but Russia is of course Eastern Europe.

I also think it's a load of crap, and not just because we're not popular, I really couldn't care less I just think it's a lie to call it a "song contest".

Neil
25-May-2008, 04:06 PM
I totally think the UK should remove itself from it completely and take all our money away from it, how'd they like it then? It's retarded, the whole thing is stupid, it's nothing to do with the actual music, it isn't a contest, it's a neighbouring country circle jerk.Amen!!!

EvilNed
25-May-2008, 06:56 PM
Israel is in it because they're lonely down in the Middle East. Everybody down there hates them, so we give them some love.

Russia is in it because Russia is a Eurasian country.

SymphonicX
25-May-2008, 11:24 PM
It's hardly like the contest has ever had any credibility. Since the 70s it's just been Abba tribute bands over and over and over. Lordi was an amazing kick up the arse for this contest, but obviously not enough to herald some real change in voting techniques.

Still, Terry Wogan taking the piss is priceless...

capncnut
26-May-2008, 02:46 AM
PLEASE LET'S NOT ENTER ANY MORE - PLEASE!
Yup, it's just Eastern Europeans voting for each other and not the music. The contest became a farce long ago.

Andy Abraham. :rolleyes:

I know it was no ground breaker but the song was twenty times better than the winner and he came LAST. How Sweden didn't win it, I dunno. I thought their song was the strongest.

Neil, did you hear ole Wogan at the end? Man was he pissed. He's been presenter since the seventies and was saying that he no longer wants to participate, and that we (along with others) should pull out.

Neil
26-May-2008, 09:39 AM
Neil, did you hear ole Wogan at the end? Man was he pissed. He's been presenter since the seventies and was saying that he no longer wants to participate, and that we (along with others) should pull out.

He was saying this during the program?

MinionZombie
26-May-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah towards the end, also saying that those he works with on the show were thinking of just packing it in. I duno how serious he was, his tone didn't suggest - to me at least - completely pissed off, as he knows full-well what it's become, but indeed he did ask why on earth we bother to be involved with it.

Mind you, I bet he's getting paid a bundle for that gig, so I wouldn't be too quick to think old Wogan (every stone of his self-important arse ... I think he's a bit full of himself to be honest) would ditch a load of cash for 4 hours work.

But it is a complete farce and we should just remove ourselves from it completely, our ties to Europe - at least were anyway - pretty much just down to trading and being near it. Now of course with this bloody EU bollocks, we're more involved than the nation wants to be.

Still though, get out of Eurovision, we can at least manage that surely! :eek:

Craig
26-May-2008, 12:14 PM
I saw him on the news a couple of times saying how it's become a farce now, so if he didn't give up the job he'd be one hell of a hypocrite.

MinionZombie
26-May-2008, 12:34 PM
I saw him on the news a couple of times saying how it's become a farce now, so if he didn't give up the job he'd be one hell of a hypocrite.
True enough. Hopefully if he did quit, then it'd inspire everybody to say "f*ck Eurovision" and then we'd pull out of it, our bags of money in two.

capncnut
26-May-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, he was saying it just as the Russian winner was gearing up to sing his song again. :lol:

Neil
26-May-2008, 06:52 PM
Right... Where's the petition to stop us from entering next year! PLEASE let's have some common sense and pride and NOT ENTER!

capncnut
26-May-2008, 09:41 PM
Right... Where's the petition to stop us from entering next year! PLEASE let's have some common sense and pride and NOT ENTER!
You might get your wish sooner than you think, Neil.

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iKXhp-UZ17tN8kwIZWzoJD94J0DQ

Neil
27-May-2008, 08:17 AM
You might get your wish sooner than you think, Neil.

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iKXhp-UZ17tN8kwIZWzoJD94J0DQ

GOOD! To think we fund 40% of this nonsense as well! (When there's over 40 other countries!)

Imagine what that money could do!

PLEASE LET'S NOT ENTER NEXT YEAR! PLEASE!!!!!!

MinionZombie
27-May-2008, 10:54 AM
GOOD! To think we fund 40% of this nonsense as well! (When there's over 40 other countries!)

Imagine what that money could do!

Damn straight. 40% from just us, a pokey little island off the coast of Europe, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever!

I say f*ck them and their political voting, we should piss off elsewhere and just not have it anymore. All we're doing is paying other countries to collectively mock us, who's winning? Certainly not us.

I hope this issue catches on and inspires more people to say "yeah, f*ck that crap show" and then we actually do leave it, because it's stupid that we're even involved with it now. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I must have missed his signing off comments before the winning song got announced, probably complaining about the voting being all a joke myself actually, lol.

capncnut
27-May-2008, 04:02 PM
I hope this issue catches on and inspires more people to say "yeah, f*ck that crap show" and then we actually do leave it, because it's stupid that we're even involved with it now. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Well now that some of the more prominent showbiz figures are standing up and saying 'bollocks' to this then I think it's highly likely the situation will be reviewed in depth. If they sift through the last few Eurovisions and look at the voting tactics then they will plainly see that it's nothing short of a farce.

I know Wogans a smug git but he's hosted the show for 35 years!!! And now he's saying that he wants nothing to do it. Surely this alone is a wake up call.

Very soon, I think there will be a big petition requesting that we pull out of Eurovision (or stop funding it at least). I will sign it for sure, and it just might be that there will be a few celeb signatures on it too.