PDA

View Full Version : Wow. This movie was crappy.

Mikey
26-May-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm George's biggest fan. I fawned of Land of the Dead basically because it had Romero's name in the title. Land had it's detractions (like still using currency), but it fit in with the series.

I finally got to purchase the Diary DVD and I can honestly say, and I might catch hell for this, but Resident Evil was a better zombie flick.

My friend said George should retire after he saw Diary in the theater. I agree. This is the WORST screenplay he's done in a long time.

darth los
26-May-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm George's biggest fan. I fawned of Land of the Dead basically because it had Romero's name in the title. Land had it's detractions (like still using currency), but it fit in with the series.

I finally got to purchase the Diary DVD and I can honestly say, and I might catch hell for this, but Resident Evil was a better zombie flick.

My friend said George should retire after he saw Diary in the theater. I agree. This is the WORST screenplay he's done in a long time.

I don't see why you would catch hell for saying that RE is a better film than diary because it is. Just because Gar's name is stamped on it doesn't make it exempt from being what it is. People who would defend something simply out of loyalty and not on the merits lose their credibility.

I've said before that land is the type of film that one could easily mistake for a sci-fi channel original movie. It has that feel to it, imo. So if that's the case i don't even know what to call diary.

It's time to face it guys. The crown jewel of his film making career was 30 years ago when he made dawn. It was like a perfect storm. Dawn,night and day are classics, but maybe he captured lightning in a bottle. Perhaps the reason that 90% (and that's a conservative estimate) of zombie flicks suck balls is that the genre lends itself to crappy movies. Maybe The oiginal trilogy is the exception and not the rule. Whatever the reason it's become apparent that GAR, the godfather of the genre, is no longer exempt from adding to the poblem.

That being said I went into it knowing that it was low budget and didn't set the bar at the original trilogy when judging how good it was. It again was of sci-fi channel quality. However, since the master made it i feel compelled to own it. IT'S GOT A HOLD ON ME !! :sneaky:

SRP76
26-May-2008, 03:27 AM
The original three were all low-budget, too. "Low budget" does not mean "is allowed to suck". It's no excuse.

A good story overcomes all lack of budget. But a sh*tty story, like we get in Diary, will suck no matter how much money is pumped into it. The whole movie was about pretty much nothing: they start off "trying to get home (and the movie lacks any of the things that go along with "journey" movies, so it doesn't matter)", but abort that after reaching just the first house, and wind up at their boy's place, where they refused to go at the very beginning. Pointless.

Redman6565
26-May-2008, 03:54 AM
The original three were all low-budget, too. "Low budget" does not mean "is allowed to suck". It's no excuse.

A good story overcomes all lack of budget. But a sh*tty story, like we get in Diary, will suck no matter how much money is pumped into it. The whole movie was about pretty much nothing: they start off "trying to get home (and the movie lacks any of the things that go along with "journey" movies, so it doesn't matter)", but abort that after reaching just the first house, and wind up at their boy's place, where they refused to go at the very beginning. Pointless.

You are right concerning 'low budget'. My problem is that nothing in this movie felt right. From bad acting to the POV style. Also, why is it no one seems bothered when they get back to the kids house he's still in his mummy suit and he becomes a zombie and the kid gets to film him chase the same girl at the start of the movie. The kid filming is right next to the mummy/zombie kid yet he keeps chasing the girl who's way up ahead of them. Very stupid.

darth los
26-May-2008, 04:03 AM
To clafify my point, you guys are definitely right about low budget. The first three films were indeed financialy challenged but they certainly didn't feel that way. I'd even argue that's part of what made night so good was that gritty film quality. It felt sorta like a documentary at times. I'd wager that if diary had multi million dollar budget it still would have blown. i.e.: land.

AnxietyDilemma
26-May-2008, 04:28 AM
People who would defend something simply out of loyalty and not on the merits lose their credibility.

I'm sensing quite the opposite actually. It seems like people are regarding what is a decent movie at worst as garbage simply because George Romero's name is attached and because it falls short of his older works.

Dead Hoosier
26-May-2008, 01:17 PM
Darth: I agree 100% that GAR peaked when he made Dawn. Nothing that he has done since has even come close. I've made this comparrison before, but it's just like George Lucas with Empire...and he didn't direct that either.
You'd like to think that someone like GAR -- and/or Lucas -- would season favorably with age, but they haven't. Just like we all wanted the Star Wars prequels to be more than what they were -- a Sith was just OK -- Land of the Dead was a miserable, misguided, brain-dead film. While I like Diary, it too suffers from dialogue that should've never made the final cut and situations that were questionable.
When you make films with the sheer power and life-influence like Dawn -- or Empire -- I guess there's nowhere to go but down. The problem is that most of us were kids when we saw those films, and we've become more critical and enlightened in the ensuing three decades.
When GAR passes, so will my caring about anything in the horror genre. I'd like to see one more masterpiece for us to remember him by...but the odds of that happening are long.

Redman6565
26-May-2008, 02:51 PM
I find it funny how people attack Land when it comes to the zombies getting smart. If you go back and watch all the Romero movies zombies always were some what smart. In Night they used tools like rocks to smash a car window. Or did everyone forget that scene?

I think Land worked because it is what would happen if you think about it. Now this couldn't happen in the Dawn remake or the 28 Days/Weeks movies because the zombies arey to fast. But in Romero's world I can see Land.

The worst thing with Diary has to be the acting followed by the story and script. All were very weak at best. With the slow moving zombies I'd like to see a time line that falls between Dawn and Day. My guess Land falls some where around that time line. It would be fun to watch a group of people try to reach a safe point with out the POV concept. I know there are budget problems but Romero did a better movie, Land, with money than he did with little money as with Diary.

What gets me is that if Romero wanted a low budget story to shoot around the time of Night why didn't he turn to Avatar comics. They published a 3 issue run that introduced all the main characters in the Night movie. They also did two one shot books one which gave the history of the littlegirl in the basement that stabbed her mother to death (which seems to be scene that is over looked by fans whom hate the smarter zombies in the Land movie).

If you can find them check them out they offer up some really good background to all the Night characters. Even the old lady that lived in the farm house is in here. Good stuff.

UndeadGuyX
26-May-2008, 03:25 PM
No way is Resident Evil Apocalypse or Extinction better than Diary. The original RE movie possibly, but no way are the absolutely pathetic sequels.

Redman6565
26-May-2008, 03:53 PM
Wow, the last RE movie hit me the same way Diary did. Ouch what a bad movie. Now the 28 Days/Weeks movies I have to say are very well done and are as good if not better than the Romero stuff.

I would like to see Romero do a movie that falls between Night and Dawn and then one that falls between Dawn and Day. Then follow up Day. I can understand why Land made it into my local theaters and Diary didn't. Romero is better than this.

jim102016
26-May-2008, 03:53 PM
I find it funny how people attack Land when it comes to the zombies getting smart. If you go back and watch all the Romero movies zombies always were some what smart. In Night they used tools like rocks to smash a car window. Or did everyone forget that scene?

I think Land worked because it is what would happen if you think about it. Now this couldn't happen in the Dawn remake or the 28 Days/Weeks movies because the zombies arey to fast. But in Romero's world I can see Land.

The worst thing with Diary has to be the acting followed by the story and script. All were very weak at best. With the slow moving zombies I'd like to see a time line that falls between Dawn and Day. My guess Land falls some where around that time line. It would be fun to watch a group of people try to reach a safe point with out the POV concept. I know there are budget problems but Romero did a better movie, Land, with money than he did with little money as with Diary.

What gets me is that if Romero wanted a low budget story to shoot around the time of Night why didn't he turn to Avatar comics. They published a 3 issue run that introduced all the main characters in the Night movie. They also did two one shot books one which gave the history of the littlegirl in the basement that stabbed her mother to death (which seems to be scene that is over looked by fans whom hate the smarter zombies in the Land movie).

If you can find them check them out they offer up some really good background to all the Night characters. Even the old lady that lived in the farm house is in here. Good stuff.

They were able to run in 28 Days/Weeks because they were still living, breathing humans! The Dawn remake was just a freak.

The basement scene in Night' always did stick out.

DubiousComforts
26-May-2008, 04:02 PM
No way is Resident Evil Apocalypse or Extinction better than Diary.
Ssshhhh, we've got all the DIARY bellyachers confined to one thread. Don't stir the pot by disagreeing with them.

Mikey
26-May-2008, 04:51 PM
I
I've said before that land is the type of film that one could easily mistake for a sci-fi channel original movie. It has that feel to it, imo. So if that's the case i don't even know what to call diary.

Dude, you totally hit the nail on the head. Crappy Sci-Fi original movie is a dead on description. The script was just not good.

Dillinger
26-May-2008, 05:06 PM
I agree that Diary sucked balls. I had to drive fifty miles in order to see it, and to put it lightly, the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

But I don't agree that Romero peaked at Dawn. Creepshow and Day were pretty damned good post-Dawn movies. In fact, Day is my favorite zombie movie ever.

I was underwhelmed by Land, but Diary was so horrible parts of it made me flinch. I really wanted to like Land and Diary, and I tried. But by God, Diary has no redeemable qualities whatsoever at all.

Redman6565
26-May-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree. I thought Day was a very good movie as well. I would have loved to see a movie tie it and Dawn together. I thought Land wasn't bad. It felt like the 'stick it to the man' mentality was a little over done. Maybe that was him, Romero, giving the middle finger to the movie companies.

The only thing Diary left me with was, I don't really care about anything I just saw. It's a good thing this wasn't Night or we'd never have gotten Dawn and Day. His career would have ended with Diary. People who defend this movie keep harping on the 'low budget' factor. I don't care what the budget was the actors were WAAAAAAY over paid. :rant:

Skippy911sc
26-May-2008, 05:49 PM
I agree with most of what has been said...here comes the except...

I find that the writing is what is truly lacking here...not the acting...not the cgi...not the smart Zs. I just don't think people talk and act the way they are presented in these movies. It is true this is closer to a sci-fi original. I like diary but did not love it. I disliked land only due to the big baddy doing his yelling...blah! I also thought these things are driven only out of hunger not revenge???

Oh well...maybe some one else will write a new fresh look at this...like maybe...I don't know...world war z?

Dead Hoosier
26-May-2008, 05:56 PM
It's crazy how polarizing these two films (Land and Diary) are within the fanbase. I guess it's a product of waiting two decades after Day. I bet we'd have been a lot easier on them if they followed quickly, but then again, I was 11 when Day came out.
I can't stand Land, and liked Diary...certainly didn't love it, especially after viewing it twice more on DVD. Both seem like extremely dumbed-down compared to their predecesors. The alleged "political comentary" is way to elementary -- perhaps GAR just thinks the audience is stupid -- and there are way too many moments that are more Friday the 13th than what made this series so great.

Minerva_Zombi
26-May-2008, 06:16 PM
lest we forget that people hated day when it came out too. with time and more viewing i bet money that these films earn respect and embrace one day. i hated day when i saw it for the first time. then i gave it another chance and it grew on me. same with land. diary i automatically loved cuz i could feel romero's brilliance within it. and yeah, the acting isn't up to hollywood standards but... c'mon. i think we can all agree that dawn is a great movie and yet has some of the worst acting in the world.

darth los
26-May-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm sensing quite the opposite actually. It seems like people are regarding what is a decent movie at worst as garbage simply because George Romero's name is attached and because it falls short of his older works.

If that's the case then they're just GAR haters and they lack credibility on the subject as well. The door swings both ways you know.

I'd like to know what was so decent about it? It was a bunch of the same things we've seen before. Topped off by the now infamous disbelievers who need to be convinced that these people are inded dead by the classic shooting/stabbing a ghoul in front of a room of said people charging "you think this guy is not dead!?!", or a varition of such? That did it for me. Come on GAR, ypour better than that dude. Very disapointing.:(

Darth: I agree 100% that GAR peaked when he made Dawn. Nothing that he has done since has even come close. I've made this comparrison before, but it's just like George Lucas with Empire...and he didn't direct that either.
You'd like to think that someone like GAR -- and/or Lucas -- would season favorably with age, but they haven't. Just like we all wanted the Star Wars prequels to be more than what they were -- a Sith was just OK -- Land of the Dead was a miserable, misguided, brain-dead film. While I like Diary, it too suffers from dialogue that should've never made the final cut and situations that were questionable.
When you make films with the sheer power and life-influence like Dawn -- or Empire -- I guess there's nowhere to go but down. The problem is that most of us were kids when we saw those films, and we've become more critical and enlightened in the ensuing three decades.
When GAR passes, so will my caring about anything in the horror genre. I'd like to see one more masterpiece for us to remember him by...but the odds of that happening are long.

Talk about it!!! Hi five!! :thumbsup:

My guess Land falls some where around that time line.

(which seems to be scene that is over looked by fans whom hate the smarter zombies in the Land movie).

Well, I've said many times that there's no doubt that the ghouls have always been relatively intelligent. But, in all those films and examples therein ( with the exception of maybe bub) all the smarts they exibited was in the pusuit of food. A base instinct. In land it went somewhere else. They weren't interested infeeding anymore, that in turn was a curveball that many fans couldn't connect with.

Looks like we got anther one for the timeline debate guys!!! :lol:

And no one forgot the basement matricide scene dude.

Ssshhhh, we've got all the DIARY bellyachers confined to one thread. Don't stir the pot by disagreeing with them.

Now, now. Sticks and stones. If there was difference of opinion then we wouldn't have much to discuss now would we? There would just be the thread starter and a bunch of "i agrees" and "right on brotha's" that followed it.

In turn one of the "bellyachers" could easily charge in kind that the GAR "apologists" are coming out of the woodwork in order to defend a film with little to no redeeming values. :confused: On the bright side atleast NOTLD 3D was exponentially worse. :cool:

DubiousComforts
26-May-2008, 06:55 PM
Now, now. Sticks and stones. If there was difference of opinion then we wouldn't have much to discuss now would we?
It's the quality of the opinions that is lacking. It's not discussion, difference or debate, it's bellyaching.

"Sticks and stones" <---If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

darth los
26-May-2008, 07:10 PM
It would be nice if actually made some points in order to defend your position. But maybe that's expecting too much. You've posted in this thread a few times and haven't said much of anything. Way to add to the dialouge. Calling people bellyachers is much easier i suppose. You must come from the hillary clinton school of thought that if you say something enough times (as in a film is good when in reality it's actually crap) people will believe it.

If you read my post, you'd see that i answered people point by point.

I'll make one for you though. The film is garbage, nuff said. :cool:

Redman6565
26-May-2008, 07:16 PM
It's the quality of the opinions that is lacking. It's not discussion, difference or debate, it's bellyaching.

"Sticks and stones" <---If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

hahaha A real fan boy. I can watch Diary but it's not a good movie. Even the POV wasn't done well. I think another thing lost on this movie as well as Land was Romero got away from the feeling of tight spaces that the first three movies drove home. Even the POV stuff in Diary didn't give me a feeling of dread. For the Romero zombies to exceed the point of creepy and become scary there have to be large numbers. On the other hand the zombies from the Dawn remake and the 28 Dya/Weeks movies are insane scary. I'd much rather deal with Romero's zombies. Zack Snyder nailed Dawn.

By the way, where was Tom Savini on this one? Maybe he could have helped improve it.

Maybe you should remove your nose from Romero's backside and make a point to defend you opinion. So far you haven't. This was a bad movie and you have done nothing to make your point but cry like a girl. How's that for heat. It was better than Day or the Dead 2 and Zombi3 though I'll give you that much. :moon:

clanglee
26-May-2008, 07:47 PM
I won't commit and say the movie was horrible. It was definitely not a complete loss. There were some good scenes and some decent tension. Diary actually scared me a bit from time to time(when I could get past the bad dialogue and fall into the movie a bit) I still think I liked Diary a bit better than Land, but not by too much. And Land, as I'm sure you all know, is not exactly one of my favorite movies.;)

I dunno, maybe because he wanted to do his own movie?:rolleyes:

Redman6565
26-May-2008, 08:04 PM
I won't commit and say the movie was horrible. It was definitely not a complete loss. There were some good scenes and some decent tension. Diary actually scared me a bit from time to time(when I could get past the bad dialogue and fall into the movie a bit) I still think I liked Diary a bit better than Land, but not by too much. And Land, as I'm sure you all know, is not exactly one of my favorite movies.;)

I dunno, maybe because he wanted to do his own movie?:rolleyes:

I guess he did. Sometimes there are people with a better story to tell hence the Star Wars world.

clanglee
26-May-2008, 08:15 PM
Ick, too lazy to repost what i had going here. . .oh well.

Redman6565
26-May-2008, 08:52 PM
Ick, too lazy to repost what i had going here. . .oh well.

hahaha You're having the same kind of day I am.

SymphonicX
26-May-2008, 09:02 PM
I haven't seen Diary but I would defend almost any film in favour of resident evil...that is, quite simply, the worst film I've ever seen....aside from Ultraviolet, res2, res3 etc etc...and I have nothing against MIlla Jovovich but damn she makes some **** flms...

jim102016
26-May-2008, 09:12 PM
It would be nice if actually made some points in order to defend your position. But maybe that's expecting too much. You've posted in this thread a few times and haven't said much of anything. Way to add to the dialouge. Calling people bellyachers is much easier i suppose. You must come from the hillary clinton school of thought that if you say something enough times (as in a film is good when in reality it's actually crap) people will believe it.

If you read my post, you'd see that i answered people point by point.

I'll make one for you though. The film is garbage, nuff said. :cool:

A little late for New Yorkers to be bad mouthing the Clintons, isn't it?

A few days after watching Diary, I keep wondering about the layout around the mansion at the end. Had they closed the front gate, could they have secured the whole house rather than just hiding in the panic room? Looking at the security cameras, it seemed the dead were all over the place in a hurry.

SRP76
26-May-2008, 09:23 PM
A few days after watching Diary, I keep wondering about the layout around the mansion at the end. Had they closed the front gate, could they have secured the whole house rather than just hiding in the panic room? Looking at the security cameras, it seemed the dead were all over the place in a hurry.

I doubt it would help. There's no telling how many other access points the property had, and they already had a bunch roaming around the poolyard. Could be hundreds already on the property, milling around in the woods for all we know.

darth los
26-May-2008, 10:36 PM

Hey, I'm an independent, not partisan at all and if they're making an insane argument i'm gonna call them on it. She is the Senator from my state. I however did not vote for her. Unfortunately, in the republic we live in we all have to abide by the "tyranny of the majority". It's alot like Prez. Bush. I hate the bastard but he's ALL of our president not just the frightened people who voted for him.

And yeah, they made that place sound like a fortress. When they rolled up on it i was like " there's no way i'd hole up in there, panic room or not. What? All the good shopping malls were closed?

SRP76
26-May-2008, 11:17 PM
It's alot like Prez. Bush. I hate the bastard but he's ALL of our president not just the frightened people who voted for him.

I voted for him. What am I supposed to be "frightened" of? If I don't hire the applicant that never shows up for work at his current job (Kerry), I'm "frightened"? Unlikely.

darth los
27-May-2008, 12:40 AM
I voted for him. What am I supposed to be "frightened" of? If I don't hire the applicant that never shows up for work at his current job (Kerry), I'm "frightened"? Unlikely.

It seems that John McCain was conspicuously absent from the senate vote for a new G.I. Bill last week, but whatever. Suport the troops. Riiiight. How about getting them some decent body armor for starters? But i digress.

That's what government does. Create boogeymen. They tell you what to be afraid of then they tell you who's responsible for it. Fear is the most effective way to control the masses. Whether it's bin laden or telling people don't eat meat this friday or you'll go to hell. Another one bites the dust i see.

So i hope your enjoying those record gas prices(cheney and his secret oil company accords) and recession (2 billion a week in iraq that is sorely needed here) we're in. Oh and pray that your home or anyone elses doesn't get forclosed on. Because your party certainly won't do anything to help you, even though it's their policies and lack of oversight on the housing market which fostered the enviroment for the predatory lending practices to thrive in. Unless your already rich and need the tax payers to bail you out that is. Then it's no problem.

It's funny how bush won't give the veterans a modernized G.I. bill that would acyually cover the cost of college, or give the poorest of our young people money foe college because it would be fiscally irresponsible, but when it comes to the war in Iraq money is no object.

I could go on forever, with the way the reps have screwed this country over the last eight years i don't have to. Katrina, pardoning criminals who obstructed justice, the money pit that is iraq. Just to name a few. But i'll leave you with this. Only through this rep. administration's incompetance could an enviroment be fostered where a woman and a black man are virtual locks to be the next president of the United States. The progressives thank you, we couldn't have done it without you guys. See how nicely it rolls off the tounge? Try it. President Barack Obama. Get used to it. :cool:

Mikey
27-May-2008, 02:06 AM
Cindy McCain is SMOKIN' hot!

darth los
27-May-2008, 02:24 AM
Cindy McCain is SMOKIN' hot!

I'll drink to that. You should see her pics from 20 years ago. Definitely a M.I.L.F.:thumbsup:

She's like 60 though. When is the doable cutoff point by the way? Keep in mind, the woman is LOADED !! :cool:

jim102016
27-May-2008, 04:22 AM
Hey, I'm an independent, not partisan at all and if they're making an insane argument i'm gonna call them on it. She is the Senator from my state. I however did not vote for her. Unfortunately, in the republic we live in we all have to abide by the "tyranny of the majority". It's alot like Prez. Bush. I hate the bastard but he's ALL of our president not just the frightened people who voted for him.

And yeah, they made that place sound like a fortress. When they rolled up on it i was like " there's no way i'd hole up in there, panic room or not. What? All the good shopping malls were closed?

Jesus, do you sound like every other New Yorkers I went to college with. I'm glad my Uncle Sam got me out of that area years ago.

Dillinger
27-May-2008, 04:31 AM
Does anyone remember the 2000 primary when McCain was running against W. Bush, and Bush told the voters of South Carolina that McCain fathered an illegitimate black baby? LOL, that was some vile crap. Funny but vile.

It helped Bush carry the South. I don't think McCain will get the redneck support that Bush got in '00 and '04. This is the Democrats' year, baby.

Even a black guy has a chance this time around.

jim102016
27-May-2008, 04:35 AM
It seems that John McCain was conspicuously absent from the senate vote for a new G.I. Bill last week, but whatever. Suport the troops. Riiiight. How about getting them some decent body armor for starters? But i digress.

That's what government does. Create boogeymen. They tell you what to be afraid of then they tell you who's responsible for it. Fear is the most effective way to control the masses. Whether it's bin laden or telling people don't eat meat this friday or you'll go to hell. Another one bites the dust i see.

So i hope your enjoying those record gas prices(cheney and his secret oil company accords) and recession (2 billion a week in iraq that is sorely needed here) we're in. Oh and pray that your home or anyone elses doesn't get forclosed on. Because your party certainly won't do anything to help you, even though it's their policies and lack of oversight on the housing market which fostered the enviroment for the predatory lending practices to thrive in. Unless your already rich and need the tax payers to bail you out that is. Then it's no problem.

It's funny how bush won't give the veterans a modernized G.I. bill that would acyually cover the cost of college, or give the poorest of our young people money foe college because it would be fiscally irresponsible, but when it comes to the war in Iraq money is no object.

I could go on forever, with the way the reps have screwed this country over the last eight years i don't have to. Katrina, pardoning criminals who obstructed justice, the money pit that is iraq. Just to name a few. But i'll leave you with this. Only through this rep. administration's incompetance could an enviroment be fostered where a woman and a black man are virtual locks to be the next president of the United States. The progressives thank you, we couldn't have done it without you guys. See how nicely it rolls off the tounge? Try it. President Barack Obama. Get used to it. :cool:

Darth, I'm disappointed in you. You're buying into everything the media tells you. Get out and experience a few things for yourself before you spout off conspiracy theories.

Dead Hoosier
27-May-2008, 04:47 AM

Couldn't agree more...that's the problem I had most with the film. At that point, everyone was in-tune to what was going on, but they were taking ZERO precautions to keep the dead out. The panic room was a last resort. But I'd still like to see how they get out of the jam.

Oh...and since this inexplicably turned into a political discussion -- Republicans are why the U.S. is 100 years behind where it should be developmentally. **** them.:lol:

Deaths_Shadow
27-May-2008, 06:41 AM
I just finished watching "Diary" and i must say i was very disappointed. I had seen another indie film (can't remember the name of it) very similar to "Diary" and thought it was a better film. This movie wasn't horrible but it never grabbed me in the least. And the ending i disliked very much. I understood the message they were trying to send from the end but it seems his films are geting to involved with philosophical messages and yes i understand this movie may have been ment to do just that and i understand he has done this since "Dawn" but those movies seemed to be able to draw the line of when to do this and not to do this. I like it more old-school. I like it to be a horror film first then throw a LITTLE philosophy in the mix. Not the whole film being it.

darth los
27-May-2008, 02:51 PM
Jesus, do you sound like every other New Yorkers I went to college with. I'm glad my Uncle Sam got me out of that area years ago.

Excuse me for being informed and having opininions that differ from yours. Sounds like the usual republican party line. Instead of engaging someone on the issues and the merits of an argument, it's made into something personal brcause their arguments normally HAVE no merits. I realize the rest of the country don't really like New Yorkers. Could it be for the same reasons the rest of the world doesn't like the U.S.? Just a thought.

Does anyone remember the 2000 primary when McCain was running against W. Bush, and Bush told the voters of South Carolina that McCain fathered an illegitimate black baby? LOL, that was some vile crap. Funny but vile.

It helped Bush carry the South. I don't think McCain will get the redneck support that Bush got in '00 and '04. This is the Democrats' year, baby.

Not only that, it was supposedly from a black prostitute at that. Gutter politics at it's finest my friends.

Darth, I'm disappointed in you. You're buying into everything the media tells you. Get out and experience a few things for yourself before you spout off conspiracy theories.

Actually i do research these things thoroughly before i start spouting off at the mouth. I actually do get out alot and enjoy dialougues with people with different points of views such as yourself. As long as it remains civil and not personal i could go on forever.

Couldn't agree more...that's the problem I had most with the film. At that point, everyone was in-tune to what was going on, but they were taking ZERO precautions to keep the dead out. The panic room was a last resort. But I'd still like to see how they get out of the jam.

Oh...and since this inexplicably turned into a political discussion -- Republicans are why the U.S. is 100 years behind where it should be developmentally. **** them.:lol:

Hi Five!! :thumbsup:

I just finished watching "Diary" and i must say i was very disappointed. I had seen another indie film (can't remember the name of it) very similar to "Diary" and thought it was a better film. This movie wasn't horrible but it never grabbed me in the least. And the ending i disliked very much. I understood the message they were trying to send from the end but it seems his films are geting to involved with philosophical messages and yes i understand this movie may have been ment to do just that and i understand he has done this since "Dawn" but those movies seemed to be able to draw the line of when to do this and not to do this. I like it more old-school. I like it to be a horror film first then throw a LITTLE philosophy in the mix. Not the whole film being it.

I saw an interview where GAR stated that the subliminal, satirical message that comes across in dawn was kinda accidental.

jim102016
27-May-2008, 05:06 PM
Excuse me for being informed and having opininions that differ from yours. Sounds like the usual republican party line. Instead of engaging someone on the issues and the merits of an argument, it's made into something personal brcause their arguments normally HAVE no merits. I realize the rest of the country don't really like New Yorkers. Could it be for the same reasons the rest of the world doesn't like the U.S.? Just a thought.

Not only that, it was supposedly from a black prostitute at that. Gutter politics at it's finest my friends.

Actually i do research these things thoroughly before i start spouting off at the mouth. I actually do get out alot and enjoy dialougues with people with different points of views such as yourself. As long as it remains civil and not personal i could go on forever.

Hi Five!! :thumbsup:

I saw an interview where GAR stated that the subliminal, satirical message that comes across in dawn was kinda accidental.

Not trying to be personal, but you really do sound like every other CNN-aholic who lacks personal involvement in the matters you spout off about. I'm not a republican, I'll probably never vote again. I'd say New Yorkers (some) are disliked because they're a sheltered lot who think the world revolves around them. Spend some time in another part of the country, you'll understand. More representative of the northeast, than the U.S. in general. I spent the first twenty years of my life up there. I have friends that are terrified to leave and explore the rest of the country. It's sad, just trying to make sure you don't end up like that.

DubiousComforts
27-May-2008, 05:23 PM
It would be nice if actually made some points in order to defend your position.
While I'm certain it would be just barrels of fun to point out the inherent silliness of the opinions being posted here such as "the whole movie was about pretty much nothing" and "Zack Snyder nailed Dawn," that's no reason to upset the apple cart now that the thread is consuming itself in equally silly political rants.

Mike70
27-May-2008, 05:25 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. huh? oh yeah diary of the dead.

after watching the DVD a couple of times i will have to say that while i still like the movie overall, those damn voice overs get more and more annoying with every viewing. too much transparent, pseudo-philosophical nonsense. it really, really detracts from the film as a whole in my book.

darth los
27-May-2008, 06:41 PM

While I'm certain it would be just barrels of fun to point out the inherent silliness of the opinions being posted here such as "the whole movie was about pretty much nothing" and "Zack Snyder nailed Dawn," that's no reason to upset the apple cart now that the thread is consuming itself in equally silly political rants.

Hey, seinfeld was a show abut nothng and that was great. Sometimes nothing can actually be genius. This is not ne of those tmes though.

Not trying to be personal, but you really do sound like every other CNN-aholic who lacks personal involvement in the matters you spout off about. I'm not a republican, I'll probably never vote again. I'd say New Yorkers (some) are disliked because they're a sheltered lot who think the world revolves around them. Spend some time in another part of the country, you'll understand. More representative of the northeast, than the U.S. in general. I spent the first twenty years of my life up there. I have friends that are terrified to leave and explore the rest of the country. It's sad, just trying to make sure you don't end up like that.

Actually i pefer msnbc. But in any case we Are U.S. citizens, therefore we are all personally involved in the matters i "spouted off" about. It's our duty, too bad than most of don't don't treat it with the seriousness it deserves.

I actually don't parrot talking points like most people do. I take in the facts and then formulate my opinios based off of that.

i would argue that New Yorkers are the antethesis of a sheltered lot. There's more diversity here than anywhere else in the country, certainly more than a place like oregon where the population is 90% white. We are exposed to quite alot, more than you might think actually. Things that might shock other people the average new yorker would wouldn't give a second thought to. And trust me I've been to quite a few states and it doesn't seem as if I'm missing much. I know people do't like to hear that but everything i need is right here. There's virtually nothing that another state has that is not in or near new york.

Now when it comes to interacting with people from other states i'm all for that. I love to get different points of view. :cool:

UndeadGuyX
27-May-2008, 07:33 PM
President Barack Obama. Get used to it. :cool:

No thanks. :dead:

Mike70
27-May-2008, 07:44 PM
I would like to see Romero do a movie that falls between Night and Dawn and then one that falls between Dawn and Day. Then follow up Day. I can understand why Land made it into my local theaters and Diary didn't. Romero is better than this.

personally i'd like to see romero stop doing zombie movies for a bit. he seems to be a bit of a one trick pony at the moment instead of an artist. he also seems to be running the risk of self-parody by continuing to do zombie films. we all know he can do movies outside of the zombie sub-genre and do them well. it'd be nice for him to step away from zombies for a bit.

a sequel to diary? no thanks, at least not in the near future. not because i don't like diary (i do like it) but because george needs to do something else for a bit.

capncnut
27-May-2008, 07:55 PM
personally i'd like to see romero stop doing zombie movies for a bit. he seems to be a bit of a one trick pony at the moment instead of an artist.
I totally agree Scip. I love the zombs but they are boring the f**k out of me at the moment. Didn't Romero say recently that he was interested in doing another Creepshow with King at some point?

a sequel to diary? no thanks, at least not in the near future.
As much as I liked Diary, it isn't worthy of a sequel IMO.

clanglee
27-May-2008, 08:41 PM
Here's an idea. . . Let's keep the political discussions to the general thread please.:rolleyes:

Oh and yes. . I completely agree. George should do something other than another zombie movie. It seems at this point that he just does them because that's where the money is for him. Good for him to make a buck and all, but that drive obviously doesn't result in good zombie movies. GAR needs to do something he wants to do, without worrying about pleasing the fans. When you try to do both (do what you want, AND please the fans) you end up with a confused, lackluster movie with little to no staying power.

Redman6565
27-May-2008, 09:39 PM
I agree, Romero needs to do what he wants to do. But if he does do another zombie movie I'd like to see more attention to real world things. Like, after the first 48 hours the lights would go out. That's why I found the whole on line stuff that was going on in Diary funny. There would be no net to watch this stuff on because ther would be no power to run your PC. Maybe in the Vegas area but out side of that the US would be a big black blob at night.

By the way, I don't hate Diary I just feel it was his worst zombie flick. Maybe he does need a break from these movies. But where would he get the cash to do something else.

Skippy911sc
27-May-2008, 09:51 PM
I agree, Romero needs to do what he wants to do. But if he does do another zombie movie I'd like to see more attention to real world things. Like, after the first 48 hours the lights would go out. That's why I found the whole on line stuff that was going on in Diary funny. There would be no net to watch this stuff on because ther would be no power to run your PC. Maybe in the Vegas area but out side of that the US would be a big black blob at night.

By the way, I don't hate Diary I just feel it was his worst zombie flick. Maybe he does need a break from these movies. But where would he get the cash to do something else.

Someone just watched life after people...the whole movie (Diary) took place in just 2 days...so I don't think everything would go to hell that fast. People are probably still going to work at this point. Remember the National guard? Some smart peeps are preparing ala the black panther patrol... ;)

Redman6565
27-May-2008, 09:54 PM

Have you read the bill? A lot of waste in it that has nothing to do with our GI's. Also, you may want to take the time to listen to Barack for a change. I can't afford a man like that as President. As for this rep. administration goes they have placed blacks in positions never reached before. Not because of their skin color but because they deserved to be there. If Barack is such a great man with new ideas, right, and feels he cango talk to our enemiesand make themplay nice then perhaps he could take those wonderful words to our inner cities talk people into becoming responsiblefor their own lives. By the way tha main problem with Katrina wasn't Bush it was all the local dems who spend levy money on everything other than their levy problems. Have a nice day and please try to stick to the topic. I know I will. :moon:

Mikey
27-May-2008, 10:32 PM
and I thought the remake wasn't even close to the original AND it lacked character (save for the asshole security guard, I forgot his name), but there was some tension in the remake. Legit terror at points and sweaty palms.

Diary was so bad the only part I liked, genuinely, was Stephen King's cameo over the radio saying "get on your ****in' knees and pray!" That was pretty damn funny, but somehow appropriate.

Cindy McCain is doable until maybe 63 -- that might be pushing it, but I think she's like 59 right now. I take a hummer from her.

SRP76
27-May-2008, 10:50 PM
While I'm certain it would be just barrels of fun to point out the inherent silliness of the opinions being posted here such as "the whole movie was about pretty much nothing"

Then counter it, Einstein. Go ahead and point out what the point of this retarded movie was. Oh, that's right, you can't. Because there wasn't one.

darth los
27-May-2008, 10:51 PM
and I thought the remake wasn't even close to the original AND it lacked character (save for the asshole security guard, I forgot his name), but there was some tension in the remake. Legit terror at points and sweaty palms.

Diary was so bad the only part I liked, genuinely, was Stephen King's cameo over the radio saying "get on your ****in' knees and pray!" That was pretty damn funny, but somehow appropriate.

Cindy McCain is doable until maybe 63 -- that might be pushing it, but I think she's like 59 right now. I take a hummer from her.

Dude with chicks that old i believe the term is "GUMMER". Which if you think about it should theoretically trump the traditional hummer everytime. :thumbsup:

clanglee
27-May-2008, 11:16 PM
Then counter it, Einstein. Go ahead and point out what the point of this retarded movie was. Oh, that's right, you can't. Because there wasn't one.

Agreed!!

DC it does no good to jump into a thread with occasional smartass comments about other people's comments. Especially without actually arguing a point of your own. It just makes you appear contrary and antagonistic.

UndeadGuyX
28-May-2008, 12:58 AM
Just for the record, I like Diary. :D

DubiousComforts
28-May-2008, 01:47 AM
It just makes you appear contrary and antagonistic.
Which means I fit with all the other smartasses here. There is something to be said for 'conformity.' :p

Trin
28-May-2008, 05:16 AM
I didn't like Diary very much. The first two pages of this thread had a wealth of good points that I agree with.

I will add one:
- Screw the whole "road movie" mentality. It didn't work for me. There was no sense of entrapment, no feeling of peril, no tension whatsoever.

I really hate to say this, but I think I liked Land more than Diary. And I reaaaaaally disliked Land.

I'd go a step further and say that Diary made me appreciate Land more. Land had fatal failings for me but in spite of that it still had some really great moments and some standout characters. Everything in Diary was either neutral or bad for me. Nothing terrible, but nothing great. A whole lot of meh.

I'm not interested in any Romero non-zombie movies. There are plenty of other directors making non-zombie horror movies but there's only one Romero to make Romero zombie movies. Even with my recent lack of enjoyment regarding Land & Diary I'd still pay money to see more.

AnxietyDilemma
28-May-2008, 08:04 AM
personally i'd like to see romero stop doing zombie movies for a bit. he seems to be a bit of a one trick pony at the moment instead of an artist. he also seems to be running the risk of self-parody by continuing to do zombie films.

I thought after Land he'd be reluctant to discuss the possibility of any more zombies due to wanting to be known for more than just making zombie flicks. This is why I'm so surprised that he keeps pumping out zombie movies.

Land, Diary, talk of a sequel to Diary and several years ago he was interested in a sequel to Land but not so much any more.

I read that Diamond Dead just got the green light again and is likely to be his next project.

darth los
28-May-2008, 01:29 PM
I didn't like Diary very much. The first two pages of this thread had a wealth of good points that I agree with.

I will add one:
- Screw the whole "road movie" mentality. It didn't work for me. There was no sense of entrapment, no feeling of peril, no tension whatsoever.

I really hate to say this, but I think I liked Land more than Diary. And I reaaaaaally disliked Land.

I'd go a step further and say that Diary made me appreciate Land more. Land had fatal failings for me but in spite of that it still had some really great moments and some standout characters. Everything in Diary was either neutral or bad for me. Nothing terrible, but nothing great. A whole lot of meh.

I'm not interested in any Romero non-zombie movies. There are plenty of other directors making non-zombie horror movies but there's only one Romero to make Romero zombie movies. Even with my recent lack of enjoyment regarding Land & Diary I'd still pay money to see more.

The best character imo, was sam , the mute amish dude. Nuff, said!! :thumbsup:

That scene was pulled off very well. It had humor, tension and the closterphobic feeling in the barn that some say the movie lacked.

bassman
28-May-2008, 01:36 PM
That scene was pulled off very well. It had humor, tension and the closterphobic feeling in the barn that some say the movie lacked.

I thought the warehouse scene had it too. I don't see why people say this film didn't have that feeling. Obviously it didn't have as much of it as his old films, but for a "on the road" flick, I thought it covered it well.

darth los
28-May-2008, 01:56 PM
I thought the warehouse scene had it too. I don't see why people say this film didn't have that feeling. Obviously it didn't have as much of it as his old films, but for a "on the road" flick, I thought it covered it well.

If you think about it dawn, night and day all had a closed in feeling. Land felt that way as well at times. I know they went outside the city but it was at night and you really couldn't get a feeling of open space or the landscape around them. This was a good change up if anything.

I just got back so i don't know if it's already been discussed but what do you guys think about the social comentary in this film? And then as compared to the others?

bassman
28-May-2008, 02:09 PM
I like the commentary in the film, but it was a bit heavy at times. Especially the narration. I feel it would have been better to cut out the narration and let the events/characters mention the commentary.

I absolutely loved the gun/camera "It's too easy to use" lines. The "If it's not on camera it's like it never happened" line shouldn't have been used so many times and Romero should have let Jason's dialogue cover that.

AnxietyDilemma
28-May-2008, 06:06 PM
To those saying it lacked the claustrophobic feel of the other films, does that mean you basically wanted more of the same rather than something a little different?

clanglee
28-May-2008, 07:10 PM

I will add one:

I mostly agree, but at least in Diary, they got the zombies right. And you can't tell me you wouldn't like to see Romero do another Creepshow, come on man!!

Like I said before, it had some decent tension scenes. The barn and the warehouse are some. I personally felt very tense when they went to the dorms, nothing happened but the scene was well set up.

Redman6565
28-May-2008, 11:30 PM
Someone just watched life after people...the whole movie (Diary) took place in just 2 days...so I don't think everything would go to hell that fast. People are probably still going to work at this point. Remember the National guard? Some smart peeps are preparing ala the black panther patrol... ;)

haha you really think so? I don't at all. There are to many nut cases like us that watch these movies. As soon as I hear the dead are getting up and eating people work aint on my list of things to do. Also, look at all the stuff that was online in the movie before they reached the idiot in the mummy suits house. The dead were killing all over the world.
Also, you forget that everyone had left town for the black panther patrol to take over. Hence my point of things falling apart very quickly. There are alot of areas that get their power from coal (they'd go dark really fast). Not to mention that by the time they got to the black panther patrol the nuke plants would have went into over load and shut down. America would be a very dark place in two days. Not to mention all the folks trying to leave in a hurry hitting phone poles that aren't going to get fixed. Now 'life after people' was a cool movie.

Mikey
28-May-2008, 11:39 PM
The more I read through the threads, the more I realize I agree with a couple of things.

I think someone said earlier that it was too fast too soon for the world to be going to hell. I agree, after two days you probably are still showing up to work. Black Panthers probably aren't that ready and National Guardsmen are more than likely still doing there job.

Can I get an Amen?

I really don't mine the POV stuff if done right. I thought it was absolutely ABSURB ****ING ABUSRD that the idiot holding the camera wouldn't put it down to help the Texas Blonde Chick when moron mummy zombie was chasing her. How ****in' stupid is that, George??? Really, then to yell "dead things don't move fast" was a bit too much. In fact, it almost made me like the DAWN remake a tad more.

Redman6565
28-May-2008, 11:41 PM

The reason it didn't work for me was the way the camera shot it. Yeah there were tight spots at times but there was never a feeling of 'oh my god' visually. Take the first 20+ minutes of Saving Private Ryan. The camera was all over the place which gives you a feeling of being overwhelmed, that at any second you were going to die. Heck, take any video shot in an active war zone. Diary never had that feeling to it. While a lot of people hated the Cloverfield movie I felt the POV camera in it was fantastic. Good acting as well helped. A gaint monster, hahaha not so much.

Dead Hoosier
29-May-2008, 02:00 AM

Couldn't agree more.

bd2999
29-May-2008, 02:03 AM
I really liked Diary, I mean its not Night or Dawn but nothing I have ever seen is.

I thought the warehouse scene had it too. I don't see why people say this film didn't have that feeling. Obviously it didn't have as much of it as his old films, but for a "on the road" flick, I thought it covered it well

I agree. I mean I thought the barn scene especially had alot of that feeling to it. It was an on the road sort of movie all the way though. Even the hospital sort of gave an erie vibe to it. I thought it was all covered fairly well.

Can I get an Amen?

I really don't mine the POV stuff if done right. I thought it was absolutely ABSURB ****ING ABUSRD that the idiot holding the camera wouldn't put it down to help the Texas Blonde Chick when moron mummy zombie was chasing her. How ****in' stupid is that, George??? Really, then to yell "dead things don't move fast" was a

The Stephen King cameo was awesome, the amen made me think of it. "Get on your knees, get on your %*&@ knees!" Crazy religous guy.

I took that as being part of the message of the film really. In reality I agree that the guy probably would have done more, but at the same time someone would have hit the camera guy filming too after a while. Anyway, they got done with the narration about how it basicly let them be immune to what they were seeing. I saw it as a form of detachment from what was really going on. He was filming the movie, so to him there was a buffer. He did come out of it but not completly.

The dead things move slow was a jab, but it was set up early in the film and was just a repeat thing for a good laugh moment.

My big problem with the message was some of the narration. At times it was fine. I got the movie within a movie and thought the message was there but, as others have said, is to heavy handed at times. The whole if its not on camera thing got old real fast really, once was enough for saying that sort of thing and some of her narrations were sort of strange and redundent, but I found them to be ironic. She more or less became what throughout the movie she was against all along. Not to mention the own spin they put on things.

One of the big things I find to be good is that they are filming this to put on the internet. How long would that even last? The towers in the one area were down and no internet so keeping filming is just fulfilling some other need.

jim102016
29-May-2008, 02:12 AM

Where'd the National Guard get those ****ing jeeps from? Those things went out of circulation twenty years ago!

The more I read through the threads, the more I realize I agree with a couple of things.

I think someone said earlier that it was too fast too soon for the world to be going to hell. I agree, after two days you probably are still showing up to work. Black Panthers probably aren't that ready and National Guardsmen are more than likely still doing there job.

Can I get an Amen?

I really don't mine the POV stuff if done right. I thought it was absolutely ABSURB ****ING ABUSRD that the idiot holding the camera wouldn't put it down to help the Texas Blonde Chick when moron mummy zombie was chasing her. How ****in' stupid is that, George??? Really, then to yell "dead things don't move fast" was a bit too much. In fact, it almost made me like the DAWN remake a tad more.

That was the worse scene of the movie, what was he thinking? Damn shame about that Texas chick leaving, she would have been great for passing the time in the panic room.

I like the commentary in the film, but it was a bit heavy at times. Especially the narration. I feel it would have been better to cut out the narration and let the events/characters mention the commentary.

I absolutely loved the gun/camera "It's too easy to use" lines. The "If it's not on camera it's like it never happened" line shouldn't have been used so many times and Romero should have let Jason's dialogue cover that.

God almighty was the commentary heavy! Over and over it was emphasized until I almost turned the movie off altogether. If it came down to carrying that worthless guy with the camera or "accidently" shooting him, the bullet would have won the toss.

Trin
29-May-2008, 06:38 AM
To those saying it lacked the claustrophobic feel of the other films, does that mean you basically wanted more of the same rather than something a little different?
Yes. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I prefer my Romero zombie movies to stick to the formula that made the original movies great. Keep the zombies consistent from movie to movie. Keep it survival horror. Keep the characters and their actions sensible.

And before we stick the first 3 movies into the "more of the same" category remember that plenty of people around here won't even compare them one against another because "they're so different." Sticking to the formula doesn't necessarily mean making the same movie over and over again.

Like I said before, it had some decent tension scenes. The barn and the warehouse are some. I personally felt very tense when they went to the dorms, nothing happened but the scene was well set up.I didn't like the barn scene. The horde of zombies that appeared out of nowhere. The Texas chick becoming Mr. Goodwrench. Sam sticking himself through the head. It could've been a good scene but nope.

Likewise, I didn't like the warehouse scene. Jason and buddy got lost walking back from the room at the end of the hall. Coincidentally at the same time the black guy with the heart condition died and they lost track of him. What a godawful plot contrivance. The only thing that would've made it better is if the narrator had come on and said, "You see Jason got lost and is wandering around not knowing that there's a zombie loose in here..."

Not to mention - the warehouse in the middle of the town full of zombies... had no zombies beating on the doors?? No, I'm sorry man. The scene just lost me.

I did like the dorm scene. That was well done.

...and National Guardsmen are more than likely still doing there job.

Can I get an Amen?AMEN!! I was reaaaally irritated that the National Guard would be looting canned food from college kids in an RV the second day of the catastrophe.

God almighty was the commentary heavy! Over and over it was emphasized until I almost turned the movie off altogether. If it came down to carrying that worthless guy with the camera or "accidently" shooting him, the bullet would have won the toss.And an AMEN for you too!!!

Skippy911sc
29-May-2008, 02:43 PM
Where'd the National Guard get those ****ing jeeps from? Those things went out of circulation twenty years ago!

You do realize all the new stuff is over seas ;)

Redman6565
29-May-2008, 11:47 PM
I found it funny how all those zombies showed up at the barn and the house with the panic room yet the hospital had very few. By the way to all the people that continue to say the world wouldn't fall apart so quickly. You weren't watching this movie.

If this was all starting to happen and people would still be going to work then why was the hospital so empty? The hospital would be one of the early over run places in the first few days not some barn and house out in the sticks. Or were all those zombies going to all the work places for a bite to eat? Wouldn't a hospital have people showing up left and right early on.

There is no way people would still be going to work with all that stuff being played over the air. Heck, the warning at the very start would have caused everything to fall apart. I really don't think this movie was thought out very well at all. By the way, why wasn't the Black Panther area crawling with zombies? If a barn out in the middle of B.F.E. was crawling with dead people that area would have been wall to wall with zombies.

Another thing that was off was the guy in the mummy suit. He was very shady when they got there before he changed. Almost criminal. Also, why did it take him so much longer to change while the kid at the hospital changed faster. Both suffered one bite. These are just a few things that stick out after watching Diary a second time.

jim102016
30-May-2008, 05:17 AM
You do realize all the new stuff is over seas ;)

I know it all too well, I saw those vehicles in person! The HMMWV replaced the jeep in the 80s, I guess those guys in Diary stole them from a museum.

I found it funny how all those zombies showed up at the barn and the house with the panic room yet the hospital had very few. By the way to all the people that continue to say the world wouldn't fall apart so quickly. You weren't watching this movie.

If this was all starting to happen and people would still be going to work then why was the hospital so empty? The hospital would be one of the early over run places in the first few days not some barn and house out in the sticks. Or were all those zombies going to all the work places for a bite to eat? Wouldn't a hospital have people showing up left and right early on.

There is no way people would still be going to work with all that stuff being played over the air. Heck, the warning at the very start would have caused everything to fall apart. I really don't think this movie was thought out very well at all. By the way, why wasn't the Black Panther area crawling with zombies? If a barn out in the middle of B.F.E. was crawling with dead people that area would have been wall to wall with zombies.

Another thing that was off was the guy in the mummy suit. He was very shady when they got there before he changed. Almost criminal. Also, why did it take him so much longer to change while the kid at the hospital changed faster. Both suffered one bite. These are just a few things that stick out after watching Diary a second time.

You're right, that mummy guy was quite mobile and shady as he was dying. I can't recall a bite victim acting like that in any other movie (GAR). He walked around until he just dropped over dead. Very strange.

Trin
30-May-2008, 02:57 PM
I found it funny how all those zombies showed up at the barn and the house with the panic room yet the hospital had very few.Add to it the fact that they were in the mansion for quite a while before the zombies attacked. They ate. They unpacked their gear. They stood at the side of the pool and looked at the motionless zombies in the pool. They beat us up with some commentary. Then, all of a sudden, the zombies were pouring in. With no catalyst whatsoever the zombies climbed out of the pool and knew to invade the mansion.

By contrast in the hospital and suburbs and warehouse there were no zombies at all. Those were areas with much higher population density. I found that very counter-intuitive.

This is kinda what I'm saying about the movie having none of that claustraphobic feeling of the originals. They were relatively safe everywhere they went except the barn. I think the movie would've been significantly better had they quickly become surrounded by zombies everywhere they went and have to fight their way out to move on. It still could've been a road movie and yet could've captured that "nowhere to run" feeling. The Dawn crew was in a helicopter and it still had a much more panicked and tense feeling. To quote Fran, "It's everywhere." In Diary it appeard to be virtually nowhere.

There is no way people would still be going to work with all that stuff being played over the air. Heck, the warning at the very start would have caused everything to fall apart.I agree. The one point I would make here is that hospital workers would probably still be going to work. The medical profession tends to attrack savior types. Nurses, EMTs, and doctors all tend to have a "rise to the call" mentality. To them these kinds of situations are their moment to shine. They wouldn't abandon the hospitals until things got really bad.

My current thinking on the hospital staff is that the place was so small and rural that the couple of zombies we saw in medical apparel might've been the only staff on duty at that late hour.

Dead Hoosier
30-May-2008, 09:58 PM

Couldn't this also be said about NOTLD? On the first night, there were 50 zombies attacking a farm house in the middle of nowhere. If it was that widespread that quickly, things would've collapsed WAY before the 3 weeks prior to Dawn.

Let's be honest, GAR is not the best when it comes to continuity. This series has its share of inconsistencies.

sandrock74
31-May-2008, 12:17 AM
My current thinking on the hospital staff is that the place was so small and rural that the couple of zombies we saw in medical apparel might've been the only staff on duty at that late hour.

That is exactly my thought process. I was once hospitalized during a family summer vacation and the hospital there was very small (two stories) and didn't have a huge staff. I'm sure the hospital in Diary was in a small town and/or out of the way. It may have only been one story even.

clanglee
31-May-2008, 12:19 AM
And that would keep all the surrounding bite victims away how exactly?

ProfessorChaos
31-May-2008, 12:24 AM
Damn shame about that Texas chick leaving, she would have been great for passing the time in the panic room.

word:thumbsup:

clanglee
31-May-2008, 01:20 AM
word:thumbsup:

As long as you forceably removed the phrase "don't mess with texas!!" from her vocabulary.

Redman6565
31-May-2008, 03:30 AM
The hospital thing kills me. No matter the size of it you'd have people coming in left and right with bite victims. Inside of 24 hours you have a hospital with a few dead and an empty dorm. If you listen to the radio report at the start of the movie it states there are 'six cases' reported. It's just hard to miss this stuff.

In the features Romero stated that it was nice to do a movie like this. He didn't have to answer to anyone or worry about budget worry about staying on story. I know we all like freedom but this movie needed to be reeled in it was all over the place.

Also, the video at the start was downlaoded three days before all the stuff in this movie started. That wonderful video where the news lady stood there so the zombie could bite her face off. Not real believable at all.

What kills me about this movie is I am a huge fan of George Romero. I couldn't wait to get this flick. Now I'm worried about him doing another one. That kills me. I never thought I'd be worried about Romero doing a zomibe movie. There are so many things wrong with this movie it makes me wonder what they were looking at when they finished. It's not as bad as some zomibe movies, Zombi3 and Day 2 to name a few, but it's bad.

jim102016
31-May-2008, 03:51 AM
As long as you forceably removed the phrase "don't mess with texas!!" from her vocabulary.

Nah, let her scream out whatever she wants.

Mike70
31-May-2008, 03:53 AM
like i've said before, george needs to step away from zombies.

please ABC (or somebody- ABC paid for it) produce george's dracula miniseries script that has been in development hell since 2004 or so.

Redman6565
31-May-2008, 03:55 AM
As fast as this movie moved, as far as infection goes. There should have been no electric at all.

Take the hospital scene. The only lights should have been the emergency ones. Next the hospital should have had lots of zombies wandering around the place. Think back to the Day movie when the two characters were thrown into the tunnels. The tunnels were rather large but with little light and the fact that there were zombies scattered throughout wanting to eat them made the scene feel VERY claustraphobic. This is exactly how the hospital should have been. This moment in Diary should have been very powerful but what we got was a major let down.

Trin
31-May-2008, 05:50 AM
And that would keep all the surrounding bite victims away how exactly?I think it justifies why there weren't more staff present without relying on the assumption that the medical staff abandoned the place.

As for why there weren't more bite victims, well, my first thought is that there should've been. But for the sake of liking the movie I can believe that it was too soon into things for such a rural area to be overrun via bites and infection. The zombies would've had to start off from already dead people (assumedly from morgues or funural homes) or accident victims such as from the car crash they ran upon. Outside of those kinds of things I don't think rural areas just have a high number of corpses ready for reanimation at any given time.

@Redman - You're making some excellent points and I too am a huge Romero fan that now fears future GAR zombie movies.

Dead Hoosier
31-May-2008, 12:02 PM
Doubting GAR ... that's sure become widespread since Land came out. While you can find flaws with most films, he had FOREVER to plan these films out perfectly, but he is clearly just not capable. I've pretty much come to the opinion that he got lucky with Dawn -- which also had its comical flaws -- and it has been WAY downhill since.
I liked Diary, but the more I watch it, the more problems I have with it. The genius I thought GAR was when I was a kid, well, it no longer exists. He seems like an old man too wrapped up in his "message," which comes across as if we are all brain-dead.

Redman6565
31-May-2008, 12:26 PM
Nah, let her scream out whatever she wants.
hahaha my name would be fine. :cool:

I think it justifies why there weren't more staff present without relying on the assumption that the medical staff abandoned the place.

As for why there weren't more bite victims, well, my first thought is that there should've been. But for the sake of liking the movie I can believe that it was too soon into things for such a rural area to be overrun via bites and infection. The zombies would've had to start off from already dead people (assumedly from morgues or funural homes) or accident victims such as from the car crash they ran upon. Outside of those kinds of things I don't think rural areas just have a high number of corpses ready for reanimation at any given time.

@Redman - You're making some excellent points and I too am a huge Romero fan that now fears future GAR zombie movies.

I've sat through Diary twice over the past two days. There is a scene that was shot in a small rural town where there is nothing but dead walking around. It starts out in black and white then turns to color. There was a female zombie she is one of the crew who worked on the movie and she has a spot on the extras. This was another not so well thought out scene where it kills the arguement of there being few zombies. This town is over run with dead. Watch this scene and tell me it does not feel like it was cut from the Land movie. I liked Land by the way.

This movie takes place over two days and I think for what ever reason GAR got ahead of him self and lost track of time in telling this story. That scares me for future zombies movies from him where there isn't someone keeping him focused. I am still a huge fan though and I'll buy the next movie he does. You really can't help but love the guy.

Doubting GAR ... that's sure become widespread since Land came out. While you can find flaws with most films, he had FOREVER to plan these films out perfectly, but he is clearly just not capable. I've pretty much come to the opinion that he got lucky with Dawn -- which also had its comical flaws -- and it has been WAY downhill since.
I liked Diary, but the more I watch it, the more problems I have with it. The genius I thought GAR was when I was a kid, well, it no longer exists. He seems like an old man too wrapped up in his "message," which comes across as if we are all brain-dead.
I think Night, Dawn, and Day all run together very well. Sure they have their flaws but there isa nice progression from A to B to C. It made sense. I don't think it was wise to go back as he did with Diary. Heck, I'd love to watch the motor cycle gang getting around up to when they reached the mall in Dawn. Or what took place before everyone ended up under ground in Day. What is there after Day could make a good movie. To me Land felt like it took place slightly before Day. There are all kinds of things he could do but does he have the means, money, to do it?

Yojimbo
07-Jun-2008, 07:57 PM
There's more diversity here than anywhere else in the country,

Hey Darth, I'm not sure that New York has Los Angeles beat in the category of diversity, but we are equally as sheltered here in California as you all migh be there! :lol:

Sorry to redigress back off topic here!

AcesandEights
07-Jun-2008, 09:45 PM
To me Land felt like it took place slightly before Day.

Oh, Jesus Christos :shifty: ...

Yojimbo
07-Jun-2008, 09:57 PM
The one point I would make here is that hospital workers would probably still be going to work. The medical profession tends to attrack savior types. Nurses, EMTs, and doctors all tend to have a "rise to the call" mentality. To them these kinds of situations are their moment to shine. They wouldn't abandon the hospitals until things got really bad.

I don't know about all medical staff in general being cut from that mold. I can say that I previously was a unit manager for an Urgent Care Clinic at a major Los Angeles Hospital, and maybe because the workers were unionized, or maybe it was something unique to my hospital, but very few of the staff I worked with had that sort of mentality. Not to say that there are not folks out there with that sort of character (I have faith in my fellow man that there are people out there like that) but I think that the majority of the staff I worked with would have bailed at the first sign of danger, save for maybe a few doctors and a few nurses who I knew were solid. But I agree that it is possible given the location of the hosptial that the zombies were what remained of the night shift.

And really, if you co-worker nurse at the medical clinic got killed by a supposedly dead guy, and then the dead co-worker nurse turned around and bit the Doctor on duty in the neck, killing him, I really wonder if even the most hardcore hero types would stick around. My guess is that they would have split to go home and take care of their families, like most folks would. Admittedly, though I like to think that I am a good person who cares about my fellow man, I myself might opt to split from work to take care of my family instead of staying on the job.

jdog
08-Jun-2008, 06:02 AM
rip on me if you must but i liked land and diary so there. lol

mista_mo
08-Jun-2008, 01:44 PM
I agree with my fellow canuck.

Diary was a good film, and like any film, not everyone is going to enjoy it. So it's not critically acclaimed? I still enjoyed it, and am watching it right at this moment.

the acting was a little stiff from some, but great from others, believable (too an extent) and i liked the characters.

I still wish texas chicks titties had've been on screen for a little longer though.

Redman6565
08-Jun-2008, 07:24 PM
I found Diary down right funny.

SRP76
08-Jun-2008, 09:24 PM
I found Diary down right funny.

I laughed at the part where the girl tries to shoot herself in the head, and misses. How the hell do you miss your own head?! You sure as hell should know exactly where it is at all times.

ProfessorChaos
08-Jun-2008, 09:43 PM
either she was a coward or shaking very badly.

i knew a guy who tried to kill himself in high school. he used a very small handgun, i believe it was a .22, and shot himself in the side of the forehead. i guess he missed his temple and didn't do any damage his temporal artery. once he realized he wasn't dead, he just went home or something. his parents found him in bed the next morning and he was taken to the hospital. i've only seen him once since then, and he seemed so normal (in demeanor and appearance, no scars) that i forgot about the incident. only later did i remember what he did. anywho, i hear he's doing well now.

Yojimbo
10-Jun-2008, 12:27 AM
either she was a coward or shaking very badly.

i knew a guy who tried to kill himself in high school. he used a very small handgun, i believe it was a .22, and shot himself in the side of the forehead. i guess he missed his temple and didn't do any damage his temporal artery. once he realized he wasn't dead, he just went home or something. his parents found him in bed the next morning and he was taken to the hospital. i've only seen him once since then, and he seemed so normal (in demeanor and appearance, no scars) that i forgot about the incident. only later did i remember what he did. anywho, i hear he's doing well now.

Dudes, this is not uncommon. The human skull is pretty durable, and lots of folks who try to shoot themselves in the head fail to kill themselves. In fact, I have heard that the majority of suicides attempts are failures and that it is a very small percentage of folks -- even outside of guns and jumping off of bridges, etc -- that end up doing the job correctly.

Sad though! Imagine that you feel like a failure and try to kill yourself, only to fail at that too.

SRP76
10-Jun-2008, 11:28 PM
The only ones that fail are the ones that don't really want to kill themselves. If you want to blow your own head off, there's no excuse for missing it. The thing's the size of basketball. Muzzle between the eyebrows, blam, job done. The girl in the movie just couldn't figure that out; she ended up with a scrape along the side of her empty head. She was either not trying very hard, or she was retarded. Maybe both.

Either way, she wasn't a character that anyone cared about anyway; 5 minutes after she finally kicked the bucket, everyone in the theater forgot she ever existed. So the attempt at getting a heart-wrenching, sorrowful reaction out of the audience wound up being a massive failure. Much like the "professor's" constant crying about nonsense (a gun is "too easy to use"? WTF is that stupidity all about?), and almost everything else that happened in the movie.

Redman6565
11-Jun-2008, 10:27 PM
I laughed at the part where the girl tries to shoot herself in the head, and misses. How the hell do you miss your own head?! You sure as hell should know exactly where it is at all times.

HAHA what do you expect from an 'anti-second amendment' college student?

The only ones that fail are the ones that don't really want to kill themselves. If you want to blow your own head off, there's no excuse for missing it. The thing's the size of basketball. Muzzle between the eyebrows, blam, job done. The girl in the movie just couldn't figure that out; she ended up with a scrape along the side of her empty head. She was either not trying very hard, or she was retarded. Maybe both.

Either way, she wasn't a character that anyone cared about anyway; 5 minutes after she finally kicked the bucket, everyone in the theater forgot she ever existed. So the attempt at getting a heart-wrenching, sorrowful reaction out of the audience wound up being a massive failure. Much like the "professor's" constant crying about nonsense (a gun is "too easy to use"? WTF is that stupidity all about?), and almost everything else that happened in the movie.

I like your point about not caring when it came to the gal who couldn't shoot her self in the head. Sad thing for me is that this feeling carried over to all the characters in Diary. Even the professor. Didn't that character seem like a mix of the drunk dude in Day and Rambo? Question: does anyone else feel the way I do concerning the characters in Diary?

ProfessorChaos
12-Jun-2008, 12:30 AM
Answer: i didn't care for any of the characters either. most were pretty annoying, come to think of it. and you're dead-on when you mention how disposable they all were. too bad they didn't all die.

that's not to say i didn't enjoy the film, but it'll probably end up gathering dust along with land of the dead.

hadrian0117
12-Jun-2008, 01:46 AM
...My current thinking on the hospital staff is that the place was so small and rural that the couple of zombies we saw in medical apparel might've been the only staff on duty at that late hour.

That does make sense. The last time I went to the ER it was a small town hospital and the ER was staffed by two nurses and a doctor they could call from another part of the hospital. Even if there's only 2-3 people on duty in the ER the rest of the hospital would still be filled with patients, nurses, aids, etc. Let's not forget about the morgue either. Perhaps most of the zombies were trapped in their rooms. Hell, the staff probally tried putting several of them in restraints thinking they were still alive.

Trin
12-Jun-2008, 04:58 PM
@Yojimbo - I'm in the midwest. I've been told that LA medical staff (and California in general) has a whole different mindset. Our nurses are not union. We stop and help people on the side of the road too.

@Redman - I hated many of the characters too. Some made it up to didn't hate. I want to watch the DVD before I declare them all below liked. I remember liking some of them after walking out of the theater. Deb was one I liked, except when she was talking of course.

Mike70
12-Jun-2008, 05:08 PM
. Sad though! Imagine that you feel like a failure and try to kill yourself, only to fail at that too.

i know i shouldn't laugh but i can't help it.:lol:

yojimbo is dead right about the failed suicides. it isn't all that unheard of for someone to shot themselves in the head and survive - esp if the person has put the gun up against some part of their face.

bassman
12-Jun-2008, 06:03 PM
yojimbo is dead right about the failed suicides. it isn't all that unheard of for someone to shot themselves in the head and survive - esp if the person has put the gun up against some part of their face.

http://m.pimpmyspace.org/07/4/10/9569ww.gif

I couldn't help it. I've always wondered....was the narrator trying to really kill himself or was his plan to shoot through his cheek?:rockbrow:

C5NOTLD
12-Jun-2008, 07:02 PM

The warehouse scene did have it. I wished they would have followed those guys for the entire film rather than film students.:cool:

Legion2213
12-Jun-2008, 09:21 PM
http://m.pimpmyspace.org/07/4/10/9569ww.gif

I couldn't help it. I've always wondered....was the narrator trying to really kill himself or was his plan to shoot through his cheek?:rockbrow:

I've pondered this myself, I wonder if he was trying to fool TD, but how do you fool a part of yourself, or was TD a completely seperate entity by this time.

Ah, who focking cares, killer movie IMO. :cool:

S&Dproductions
30-Jun-2008, 06:53 AM
I bought this film not realy having any expectations. I hadn't seen a trailer so was pretty open minded. I viewed this film three times before I came to my final conclusion. Not crap but not at all what I expected from Romero. This film has the feel of some of his earlier works such as Jack's Wife and The Crazies. The initial idea is interesting but the script just didn't deliver. My first problem is the acting. The kid with the glasses is absolutely horrible. This kid irritated me after the first ten minutes. No name actors are ok, but get ones that can actualy pull off a professional job. I aslo didn't like the blonde haired kid that eventualy gets bitten in the hospital. He wasn't that great of an actor either. Obviously the plot had no real value. I was numb to feeling any sympathy for the characters because there was no real character devolpment. I see this film as trying to reinvent the zombie genre. Also an obvious attempt on Romero's part to go back to his roots. I like that Romero had the guts to do something low-budget, but the low-budget aspect seems to be most of the draw. I don't watch a Romero film for the gore although I know it's a valuable element. I'm there for the solid story. Diary is a film of just gore. The highlights are the gore and the characters just seem like more cannon fodder. At times I felt like I was watching an 80's slasher. I enjoyed Land but I felt like Romero should have moved on while he had the chance. I would have enjoyed a stephen king adaption over this film any day.

Rating:3 of 5

DubiousComforts
30-Jun-2008, 05:22 PM
HAHA what do you expect from an 'anti-second amendment' college student?
How exactly is she "anti-second amendment" when she owns a handgun? I bet you think she's a "Communist", too.

You've been listening to idiots like Ted Nugent for far too long, who in reality isn't pro-constitutional rights unless it just so happens to coincide with being pro-money in his pocket.

Be more SMARTER!

Then you are a big fool because previous to joining the howling mob of late dissenters, your criticisms were always thoughtful and better articulated. There were no good points until you joined the thread, so why would you aspire to be among the lowest common denominator? :D

Danny Terror
30-Jun-2008, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm new here and unfortunately the first thing I'm forced to do is respond to a post by Redman-whatever #s. Can I say that the second amendment comment concerning the female character in DIARY is a contender for the stupidest thing I've heard so far this year. Perhaps some of you are reading WAY too much into what was supposed to be a fun little Zombie movie done as a treat to us, Romero film fans. And yet in this thread Redman and others seem to have a real disdain for the movie and honestly when I read nonsense like the second amendment comment I realize that there are a few "Fans" that will NEVER get what the message in George's films are and for that reason they should just leave it all alone. Embarrasing isn't the word to describe it. Retarded is more like it.

Go watch SAW alright??

Redman6565
01-Jul-2008, 10:50 PM
How exactly is she "anti-second amendment" when she owns a handgun? I bet you think she's a "Communist", too.

You've been listening to idiots like Ted Nugent for far too long, who in reality isn't pro-constitutional rights unless it just so happens to coincide with being pro-money in his pocket.

Be more SMARTER!

Then you are a big fool because previous to joining the howling mob of late dissenters, your criticisms were always thoughtful and better articulated. There were no good points until you joined the thread, so why would you aspire to be among the lowest common denominator? :D

You know 'left wing' kooks like you really need to lighten up. After reading this post of yours I see you have lowered the 'common denominator' bar. Good for you. :D

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and unfortunately the first thing I'm forced to do is respond to a post by Redman-whatever #s. Can I say that the second amendment comment concerning the female character in DIARY is a contender for the stupidest thing I've heard so far this year. Perhaps some of you are reading WAY too much into what was supposed to be a fun little Zombie movie done as a treat to us, Romero film fans. And yet in this thread Redman and others seem to have a real disdain for the movie and honestly when I read nonsense like the second amendment comment I realize that there are a few "Fans" that will NEVER get what the message in George's films are and for that reason they should just leave it all alone. Embarrasing isn't the word to describe it. Retarded is more like it.

Go watch SAW alright??

HAHA oh my god can't you folks relax alittle. It was all in fun. We got off on college kids, oh my it's the end of the world. By the way mister big brain just what was GAR trying to say when little miss college gal couldn't kill her self while holding the gun. What deep social statement was that all about?

Funny thing is I have given all kinds of reasons as to why I find this a poor attempt at a zombie movie by GAR. It really wasn't well thought out at all. So before you throw around attack words like 'embarrasing' and 'retarded' (which is what children do when they can't defend their side of an argument) defend this movie. I'll start off by saying the acting was pathetic and the plot was full of holes and flaws thatGAR should have cleaned up before he released it.

The floor is open for your defense of Diary. I guess we had better throw all the jokes and any humor, no matter how twisted, to the side and keep things serious. We don't want to step on the toes of touchy foks like the two of you. So defend away.

DubiousComforts
02-Jul-2008, 12:22 AM
You know 'left wing' kooks like you really need to lighten up.
"Lighten up, Lefty! We wuz only funnin'!" This is the best argument that you've got? If you're attempting to play class clown, you will need much better material. BE MORE FUNNY!

Further, don't assume that you've grasped everyone's politics. Based on your post, I'll assume that you are the typical tool that easily parrots the Right vs. Left rhetoric you've been spoon-fed. You may prove otherwise by answering the question: how exactly is Mary's character "anti-second amendment" when she owns a handgun? Would it have helped you to better understand the film if she had pointed the weapon at a few zombies while snarling "go ahead, make my day?"

Redman6565
02-Jul-2008, 12:52 AM
"Lighten up, Lefty! We wuz only funnin'!" This is the best argument that you've got? If you're attempting to play class clown, you will need much better material. BE MORE FUNNY!

Further, don't assume that you've grasped everyone's politics. Based on your post, I'll assume that you are the typical tool that easily parrots the Right vs. Left rhetoric you've been spoon-fed. You may prove otherwise by answering the question: how exactly is Mary's character "anti-second amendment" when she owns a handgun? Would it have helped you to better understand the film if she had pointed the weapon at a few zombies while snarling "go ahead, make my day?"

No I find Mary's character bland like the rest of the characters in this movie. As for what I think of your politics, you come across as a 'lefty' which is fine. I'm just waiting to read a post by you that gives the deep meaning behind Diary. You love to defend this movie but lack any substance when it comes to your argument. Also, I didn't claim to 'grasp everyone's' politics. Just your'es. :)

jim102016
02-Jul-2008, 09:50 PM

I own a pistol, like vodka, and I'm not a communist. I like the song "Cat Scratch Fever," but I've never met Ted Nugent. Wasn't even sure who he was until you mentioned him.

Dubious, pop a pill, take a deep breath, and relax. Not everyone agrees with your political beliefs, get used to it or you're going to have a stroke.

Redman6565
04-Jul-2008, 09:33 PM

I own a pistol, like vodka, and I'm not a communist. I like the song "Cat Scratch Fever," but I've never met Ted Nugent. Wasn't even sure who he was until you mentioned him.

Dubious, pop a pill, take a deep breath, and relax. Not everyone agrees with your political beliefs, get used to it or you're going to have a stroke.

Really. Some people can't relax these days. We live in a country full of thin skinned people that need to get something in their lives. What I have no idea.

Speaking of politics. In Ohio they now have the right to force you to take a blood test if you refuse to take the breath test. Happy Independence Day folks and welcome to the United Communist States of America. It's getting real hard to 'hear freedom ring'.

Suicycho
09-Jul-2008, 02:41 AM
I liked Diary very much.

otisbenny
27-Jul-2008, 05:27 AM
To me, Diary is the only one of GAR's dead films that didn't stick in my head long after viewing it. Even Land I keep returning to despite it's flaws. GAR's best films (Night, Dawn, Day, Martin) stay with me years after I've watched them and compell me to view them over and over again. I've seen Diary twice and I barely remember it. It just doesn't have the power of his best works.

clanglee
27-Jul-2008, 05:51 AM
To me, Diary is the only one of GAR's dead films that didn't stick in my head long after viewing it. Even Land I keep returning to despite it's flaws. GAR's best films (Night, Dawn, Day, Martin) stay with me years after I've watched them and compell me to view them over and over again. I've seen Diary twice and I barely remember it. It just doesn't have the power of his best works.

You know. . that's a good point. I feel kinda the same way. Even about Land. Diary was just so. . .:|.

horrormad
27-Jul-2008, 08:50 PM
The problem with diary Is that people are disapointed because Romero didnt make diary and land like the original 3 zombies movies that the problem he has to do something new for the younger generation we here at the forum like the old classic zombie movies but the now days the younger fans only wnat gore.

clanglee
28-Jul-2008, 09:12 AM
Ummm. . .heavy man. . .real heavy. . . :confused:

Neil
28-Jul-2008, 10:02 AM
The problem with diary Is that people are disapointed because Romero didnt make diary and land like the original 3 zombies movies that the problem he has to do something new for the younger generation we here at the forum like the old classic zombie movies but the now days the younger fans only wnat gore.

Well, if 'something new for the younger generation', means weak script, then you're 100% spot on ;)

Land had some nice ideas/bits in it, but generally just seemed a bit flawed TBH... Diary was just... meh...

Romero seems to be trying too hard with metaphors rather than concentrating on good quality story.

In Diary the modern internet technology stuff and subtext just didn't work very well. I suspect if he makes Diary 2 he'll go completely overboard with it being set - rather than in a shopping mall - in a web forum...

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2008, 10:21 AM
in a web forum

But then WE could all be in it! :)

Neil
28-Jul-2008, 11:06 AM
But then WE could all be in it! :)

George A Romero

presents...

BLOG OF THE DEAD

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2008, 12:26 PM
George A Romero

presents...

BLOG OF THE DEAD
Surely it should just be:

George A. Romero's
HOMEPAGE OF THE DEAD
(Presented by Neil Fawcett)

:D

Neil
28-Jul-2008, 12:27 PM
Where's my cheque!!!!!!!!!

horrormad
28-Jul-2008, 12:31 PM
**Romero seems to be trying too hard with metaphors rather than concentrating on good quality story.**

Yes I agree with you there.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2008, 12:40 PM
Where's my cheque!!!!!!!!!
Well he's not made it yet, so shaaaaadup! :p

AcesandEights
28-Jul-2008, 03:28 PM
Surely it should just be:

George A. Romero's
HOMEPAGE OF THE DEAD
(Presented by Neil Fawcett)

:D

Act III, Scene I

Setting: The website in question' s Mod forum, wherein the mods are discussing the apparent arrival of more and more zombies.

"Neil": What are they doing? Why do they come here? =0

Flash to the main, zombie discussion board

[/groan]Running zombies suck...[/groan]

Flash back to the Mod Forum

"MinionZombie": Some sort of instinct. Memory, of wot they used ter do. Cor blimey guv! This were an important place in their lives.

"Kaos": And what about all these bots that keep registering? This situation must be controlled before it's too late. They're multiplying too rapidly!

"Cap'n Canut" (The newest, fresh-faced Mod): They're after us. They know we're still in here.

"MinionZombie": They're after the place. They don't know why, they just remember. Remember that they want ter be in 'ere.

"Neil" (gripping his banstick, reassuringly): What the hell are they?

"Kaos": They're us, that's all, when there's no more room in hell.

"Neil": What?

"MinionZombie": Sumfink me granddad used ter tell us. Yer know Macumba, then, mate? Voodoo. Me granddad were a priest in Trinidad. He used ter tell us, "Wen there's no more room in hell fire, the bleedin' dead will ball of chalk the earff."

"Kaos": Huh?

Flash To General Chat

"Concerned Right-of-center poster": These creatures cannot be considered human. They prey on humans. They do not prey on each other, that's the difference. They attack and they feed only on warm human flesh. Intelligence? Seemingly little or no reasoning power, but basic skills remain a more remembered behaviors from normal life. We must not be lulled by the concept that these are our family members or our friends. They are not. They will not respond to such emotions.

"Concerned Left-of-center poster": People aren't willing to accept your solutions, doctor, and I for one don't blame them!

"Forum Troll": /Posts a 'Lol Cat' pic

"Concerned Right-of-center poster": Dummies! Dummies! Dummies!

"Kaos" (sweeping in and out quickly): This isn't the Republicans versus the Democrats, where we're in a hole economically or... or we're in another war. This is more crucial than that. This is down to the line, folks, this is down to the line. There can be no more divisions among the forumites! Warnings will be handed out. /locks topic

Something like that? :D

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2008, 05:40 PM
BRAVO! :cool::cool::cool:

Superb, mate.

"MinionZombie": Sumfink me granddad used ter tell us. Yer know Macumba, then, mate? Voodoo. Me granddad were a priest in Trinidad. He used ter tell us, "Wen there's no more room in hell fire, the bleedin' dead will ball of chalk the earff."

I properly lol'd at that, brilliant. :D

capncnut
28-Jul-2008, 05:45 PM
Top draw, Aces. :lol:

Trin
28-Jul-2008, 06:09 PM
Perzactly!!!!

clanglee
28-Jul-2008, 10:50 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Aces. . with that. . you became a God among posters!!

Dillinger
29-Jul-2008, 11:46 PM
FADE IN:

INT. Bedroom - Night

ACESANDEIGHTS frantically masturbates at his computer desk. Soon he is interrupted by his mother.

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM
Just what in the hell are you doing, son?

ACESANDEIGHTS
She loves me, mom! She said she loves me!

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM
Who loves you?

ACESANDEIGHTS
This hot girl on Homepage of the Dead!

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM
Since you met this girl online, how can you be sure that she really loves you?

ACESANDEIGHTS
Because she said SHE LOVED ME in ALL CAPS!

FADE OUT.

Bub666
29-Jul-2008, 11:49 PM
FADE IN:

INT. Bedroom - Night

ACESANDEIGHTS frantically masturbates at his computer desk. Soon he is interrupted by his mother.

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM

ACESANDEIGHTS

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM
Who loves you?

ACESANDEIGHTS

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM
If this girl is on the internet, how can you be sure she loves you?

ACESANDEIGHTS

FADE OUT.

:lol::lol::lol:

clanglee
30-Jul-2008, 12:21 AM
:confused::rockbrow::confused:

Legion2213
31-Jul-2008, 06:51 PM
*eyes forum though a pair of binoculars*

"they must get in through the roof..."

*pulls out flick comb and grooms big-ass moustache*

Mike70
31-Jul-2008, 07:21 PM
FADE IN:

INT. Bedroom - Night

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM

ACESANDEIGHTS

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM
Who loves you?

ACESANDEIGHTS

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM

ACESANDEIGHTS

FADE OUT.

and the point of this inanity is?

Trin
01-Aug-2008, 02:32 PM
Not to accidentally get back on topic...

Then you are a big fool because previous to joining the howling mob of late dissenters,
your criticisms were always
thoughtful and better articulated. There were no good points until you joined the thread, so why would you aspire
to be among the lowest common denominator? :D

I had to go back and re-read the first couple of pages (admitting the very real possibility that
I could be a big fool *g*) and I maintain that the first page and a half of this thread had some good points. Prior
to the political explosion and the (admittedly hilarious) HPOTD forum spoofs that is.

SRP76
- "Low budget" does not mean "is allowed to suck".

Dead Hoosier
- While I like Diary, it too suffers from dialogue that should've never made the final cut and situations that were questionable.
- The problem is that most of us were kids when we saw those films, and we've become more critical and enlightened in the ensuing three decades.
- The alleged "political comentary" is way to elementary -- perhaps GAR just thinks the audience is stupid

Redman
- The only thing Diary left me with was, I don't really care about anything I just saw. It's a good thing this wasn't Night or we'd never have gotten Dawn and Day.

Skippy911sc
- I find that the writing is what is truly lacking here...not the acting...not the cgi...not the smart Zs.

darth_los
- I'd like to know what was so decent about it? It was a bunch of the same things we've seen before.
- ...in all those films and examples therein ( with the exception of maybe bub) all the smarts they exibited was in the pusuit of food. A base instinct. In land it went somewhere else.

And then in more recent posts...

Romero seems to be trying too hard with metaphors rather than concentrating on good quality story.
Yeah, that's right on the money.

AcesandEights
01-Aug-2008, 03:23 PM
FADE IN:

INT. Bedroom - Night

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM

ACESANDEIGHTS

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM
Who loves you?

ACESANDEIGHTS

ACESANDEIGHTS MOM

ACESANDEIGHTS

FADE OUT.

Nice! I'll ask you to kindly remove your spycam from my bedroom/basement/abattoir, unless I'll be getting some sort of cut on a webcam deal.

mista_mo
01-Aug-2008, 04:45 PM
And I wasn't even the cause of it.

Bravo guys, you've all made me proud. Now I gotta get to work on my contribution.....

Millard Rausch
08-Aug-2008, 04:23 PM
Just because Gar's name is stamped on it

If you DARE make anything even remotely zombie related now you need the GAR seal of
approval.
I like how in the Masters of Horror episode
Haekels Tale they saw fit to give him credit.
As if it would be un-authorized plagiarism if they hadn't done so.

darth los
08-Aug-2008, 06:15 PM
They're just paying homage to the master. He is universaly recognized as the father of the genre. Making a zombie flick without giving him a nod is a slap in the face. It's like hacking someone else's idea.

Mike70
08-Aug-2008, 07:33 PM

umm, haeckel's tale was based on a short story by clive barker. i fail to see what the fu*k all it's got to do with romero.

clanglee
08-Aug-2008, 07:53 PM
and I fail to see why we have to blow Romero every time there is a zombie in your movie. We don't gobble on Stoker's nob every time a new vampire movie is made. Slap in the face . . .:rolleyes:. . .plagarism. . double :rolleyes:

darth los
09-Aug-2008, 12:20 AM
and I fail to see why we have to blow Romero every time there is a zombie in your movie. We don't gobble on Stoker's nob every time a new vampire movie is made. Slap in the face . . .:rolleyes:. . .plagarism. . double :rolleyes:

lol. Godd point. However, Stoker has long since been worm food. Maybe after GAR passes it will be the same.

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2008, 10:37 AM
Well if people wanna thank Romero, who is synonymous with the genre, then let them do it. They're just being appreciative to their inspiriations, quit bitching about it, sheesh. :rolleyes:

I say again, how dare anyone come to a George Romero dedicated website and actually like the dude. :sneaky::p

Bub666
10-Aug-2008, 08:19 PM
Well if people wanna thank Romero, who is synonymous with the genre, then let them do it. They're just being appreciative to their inspiriations, quit bitching about it, sheesh. :rolleyes:

I say again, how dare anyone come to a George Romero dedicated website and actually like the dude. :sneaky::p

I agree.

clanglee
11-Aug-2008, 10:57 PM

Woah now. . I love Romero. However, just because you make a zombie movie does not mean you are ripping the man off. He may have started the genre as we know it today, and if people want to thank him . .great. But making a zombie movie of your own is not knocking the man off or plagarism. I found the suggestion that anyone who makes a zombie film must bow and scrape to GAR ludicrous.

Mutineer
12-Aug-2008, 01:57 AM
Romero gets the prop from me on creating the modern prototype zombie but I agree with Clanglee on this.

Whenever a new film is made, it gets slapped in the face if Romero doesn't have a hand in it and if Romero releases a new zombie film, everyone runs to Mecca.

Romero did not create the zombie, he evolved it. And today we are seeing another mutation; the running zombies, the rage zombies, the superhuman zombies. Love them or hate them, it's just another step.

I found this interesting note from Wiki:

The concept of the flesh-hungry undead dates back to mythology and folklore from prehistory, such as in the Epic of Gilgamesh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh), where the goddess Ishtar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtar) vows in rage:

"I will knock down the Gates of the Netherworld, I will smash the door posts, and leave the doors flat down, And will let the dead go up to eat the living! And the dead will outnumber the living!"[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombies_in_popular_culture#cite_note-0)

Another important note is the similarity of the modern zombie with the classic Vampire; the undead, feasting on the living.

And less we forget Matheson's I Am Legend, the book that directly inspired Romero ?

-

Diary was entertaining. I got my Zombie fix. But I also got it from the DAY remake.

bassman
12-Aug-2008, 03:02 AM
Romero gets the prop from me on creating the modern prototype zombie but I agree with Clanglee on this.

Whenever a new film is made, it gets slapped in the face if Romero doesn't have a hand in it and if Romero releases a new zombie film, everyone runs to Mecca.

Romero did not create the zombie, he evolved it. And today we are seeing another mutation; the running zombies, the rage zombies, the superhuman zombies. Love them or hate them, it's just another step.

I personally don't think Romero is the only one that can make dead films. He's just the one that gave the genre a purpose. While I agree that his last two efforts don't match up to the original trilogy, he's still the guy that took a simple subject and turned it into an everday event in everyone's life. He brought it to the front and said, "how WOULD or COULD we handle this?".

That is what I find interesting in his work. He took a certain genre of horror and asked what we were really afraid of. In the end...it's us. No matter how well we think we could or would handle it, we would f*ck ourselves over in the end. And that's the truth.

Imo, the true horror of Romero's creeping zombies are that they aren't the problem. By our own actions, we cause our demise. All the original films show this.

The fast zombies can provide a quick, "cat jumps out the window" scare moment, but Romero's films provide a feeling that can last beyond the credits and into everyday life.

I haven't seen every zombie film to date and that's okay. If someone were to make a zombie film that made sense, I would back it. I don't like most zombie films. I like films with meaning....not cheap scares that are forgotten within two seconds...

clanglee
12-Aug-2008, 03:46 AM
I personally don't think Romero is the only one that can make dead films. He's just the one that gave the genre a purpose. While I agree that his last two efforts don't match up to the original trilogy, he's still the guy that took a simple subject and turned it into an everday event in everyone's life. He brought it to the front and said, "how WOULD or COULD we handle this?".

That is what I find interesting in his work. He took a certain genre of horror and asked what we were really afraid of. In the end...it's us. No matter how well we think we could or would handle it, we would f*ck ourselves over in the end. And that's the truth.

Oh no doubt. . . I agree here 100% Bass. GAR is special, his movies are wonderful on many levels, and I love the guy. His zombie movies are the best out there. I was only saying that it is silly to say that he should be propped on every bit of zombie stuff that comes out. A thanks here and there is great. .the man deserves it. . but by not giving recognition one deserves a slap just because ones movie resembles Romeros work in form? I don't think so. This is where I divert from many GAR fans. . Many people think that any movie with zombies that are not just like GAR's is a sacrilage. I don't. I think different is good. I love GAR's zombies. . but I love zombies in general. Fast, slow, smart, or dumb as a box of hair. I'm loosing focus now. . . damn I hate writing from work. . :D

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2008, 08:48 AM
But GAR isn't always thanked in the credits, and nor is it a must-do, the filmmakers do it off their own back, and who is anyone to tell them they can't give props when they want to whomever they want?

Nor is it considered plagiarism if someone did a zed flick and didn't acknowledge GAR, they don't have to, and they might not have been inspired by his flicks, but as GAR's so synonymous with the genre, the dude who made the best zed flick of all time - Dawn of the Dead - it's incredibly likely that new zed filmmakers will be GAR fans, they'll dig his work, and they'd like to give a little shout-out.

What's wrong with that, nobody's forcing anybody, the filmmaker does it off their own back because they want to, what's the big deal?

bassman
12-Aug-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah...it's just a little nod for past inspiration.

I can't remember the film title now, but I remember seeing a thanks to Orson Wells for Citizen Kane, but the film had absolutely nothing to do with Citizen Kane. So I don't think listing an inspiration means they had anything to do with the actual film.

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah...it's just a little nod for past inspiration.

I can't remember the film title now, but I remember seeing a thanks to Orson Wells for Citizen Kane, but the film had absolutely nothing to do with Citizen Kane. So I don't think listing an inspiration means they had anything to do with the actual film.
In such a case it could be the film that inspired the filmmaker to get into filmmaking, perhaps.

Millard Rausch
12-Aug-2008, 02:01 PM
apologist

Mike70
12-Aug-2008, 02:19 PM
And less we forget Matheson's I Am Legend, the book that directly inspired Romero ?

nor should we forget the film "the last man on earth." i've always thought that the zombies in night were rather similar to the creatures in that flick with the exception of speaking. the way they move and look is similar.

Mutineer
12-Aug-2008, 05:11 PM

Imo, the true horror of Romero's creeping zombies are that they aren't the problem. By our own actions, we cause our demise. All the original films show this.

The fast zombies can provide a quick, "cat jumps out the window" scare moment, but Romero's films provide a feeling that can last beyond the credits and into everyday life.

I haven't seen every zombie film to date and that's okay. If someone were to make a zombie film that made sense, I would back it. I don't like most zombie films. I like films with meaning....not cheap scares that are forgotten within two seconds...

Well said bassman :cool: :)

nor should we forget the film "the last man on earth." i've always thought that the zombies in night were rather similar to the creatures in that flick with the exception of speaking. the way they move and look is similar.

Which of course was based on I Am Legend ! :)

clanglee
12-Aug-2008, 07:28 PM
But GAR isn't always thanked in the credits, and nor is it a must-do, the filmmakers do it off their own back, and who is anyone to tell them they can't give props when they want to whomever they want?

Nor is it considered plagiarism if someone did a zed flick and didn't acknowledge GAR, they don't have to, and they might not have been inspired by his flicks, but as GAR's so synonymous with the genre, the dude who made the best zed flick of all time - Dawn of the Dead - it's incredibly likely that new zed filmmakers will be GAR fans, they'll dig his work, and they'd like to give a little shout-out.

What's wrong with that, nobody's forcing anybody, the filmmaker does it off their own back because they want to, what's the big deal?

There is no big deal at all. I agree with you here as well. I was just responding to homie who said that One MUST recognize GAR or else. . .

apologist

Huh?:confused::rockbrow:

Just because Gar's name is stamped on it

If you DARE make anything even remotely zombie related now you need the GAR seal of
approval.

Here's the quote I was reponding to.

Mike70
12-Aug-2008, 08:36 PM
Which of course was based on I Am Legend ! :)

uh, yeah, that's pretty well common knowledge.

Trin
12-Aug-2008, 08:42 PM
In many ways it's a shame that GAR became so synonymous with zombies. Not only did it limit his career but it also made it so that any other filmmaker entering the zombie genre had to contend with the GAR legacy.

Night was nowhere near the only zombie movie that came out in that time period. In my opinion Night & especially Dawn were more about redefining survival horror then they were about redefining zombies. That's the aspect that took them to the higher level compared to their horror peers. Yet you don't see filmmakers compared with GAR simply for turning out survival horror.

I wonder if Bram Stoker's knob got a GAR style polishing back in the day when all the classic horror movies were coming out in his wake. My opinion is also that Matheson's knob hasn't gotten the due attention it deserved either. All these guys deserve the shiniest knob's around in my opinion.

clanglee
12-Aug-2008, 08:51 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

"How many Dicks was that?"
"A lot!!"

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 12:33 AM
I think that if I made a romantic comedy film, and even though the film has nothing to do with anything remotely about zombies. I would still put special thanks to GAR in the credits

thegooddoctor
25-Sep-2008, 06:05 PM
I am among those who was sadly disappointed with Diary. I have watched it once-unheard of for me.

Neil
25-Sep-2008, 09:47 PM
I am among those who was sadly disappointed with Diary. I have watched it once-unheard of for me.

I must admit, I'm having trouble making myself watch it a second time :(

clanglee
25-Sep-2008, 10:15 PM
Unlike Land, Diary actually gets worse with further viewings.

Legion2213
26-Sep-2008, 10:01 AM
Unlike Land, Diary actually gets worse with further viewings.

:lol:

It's true, I've watched this twice now, the second time was even worse than the first. I might not have enjoyed Land, but at least it's a proper zombie movie.

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2008, 12:51 PM
I like Diary ... I enjoyed it in the cinema the first time round. The second time round I saw it whilst waiting for the DVD and liked it less, then I got the DVD and watched it a third time and liked it more than the second time, but not more than the first time.

But I still like Diary.

I love Land though. :)

DawnGirl27
26-Sep-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm a Land lover, too... Diary, however, I have mixed feelings about. The first time I watched it, I felt cheated. I let myself get all psyched up, knowing GAR made the movie, and watching the blurb at the end when he said he was very happy with Diary, because it was like getting back to basics, and seen through a different view with the film students, etc., still made me feel disappointed, and may I add, underwhelmed?
I'm all for him trying things out, but it just didn't quite work for me, and it's hard to admit that to myself. *Sigh* Lesson of this story - never put film makers up on pedestals... :|

darth los
26-Sep-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm a Land lover, too... Diary, however, I have mixed feelings about. The first time I watched it, I felt cheated. I let myself get all psyched up, knowing GAR made the movie, and watching the blurb at the end when he said he was very happy with Diary, because it was like getting back to basics, and seen through a different view with the film students, etc., still made me feel disappointed, and may I add, underwhelmed?
I'm all for him trying things out, but it just didn't quite work for me, and it's hard to admit that to myself. *Sigh* Lesson of this story - never put film makers up on pedestals... :|

I was disapointed in that as well. By "rebooting" the series i thought that he was going to get back to what made the first three films great. And now that he seems to be expanding upon his intelligent zombie angle with the sequel i've lost virtually all hope for his redemption. :(

MissJacksonCA
29-Sep-2008, 04:03 AM
After finally waiting and waiting and a firm moment of coherent thoughts I was able to buy Diary of the Dead... and I learned a powerful lesson... there's just some movies that aren't worth buying. I was so grossly bored with this movie I could barely bring myself to finish it. The only good part of the movie was the 'documentarian' who shot film no matter what and didn't interfere with what was going on with his subjects. I thought that was great. Everything else... pretty lame. I love George... I do ... but I just couldn't get into the characters. I thought the story plodded along at a slow witted pace that struggled to keep me entertained. It wasn't hard to anticipate that the beginning of the film would come into play later on... the vast majority of the movie was ultimately predictable and I thought the characters were not only underdeveloped but also uninteresting and cliche. I want my two hours back...

I think Zombi 3 was better... and I'm debating whether to buy Day of the Dead 2 just to see if its better...

capncnut
29-Sep-2008, 01:44 PM
I was so grossly bored with this movie I could barely bring myself to finish it...

...I thought the story plodded along at a slow witted pace that struggled to keep me entertained.
It's interesting that you should say that because those are nigh on the exact words I used to describe it a ways back. Boring. Plodding. I would also like to add unengaging, yawnsome and knackered.

Liked some of the FX though but that's about it.

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 01:19 AM
After finally waiting and waiting and a firm moment of coherent thoughts I was able to buy Diary of the Dead... and I learned a powerful lesson... there's just some movies that aren't worth buying. I was so grossly bored with this movie I could barely bring myself to finish it. The only good part of the movie was the 'documentarian' who shot film no matter what and didn't interfere with what was going on with his subjects. I thought that was great. Everything else... pretty lame. I love George... I do ... but I just couldn't get into the characters. I thought the story plodded along at a slow witted pace that struggled to keep me entertained. It wasn't hard to anticipate that the beginning of the film would come into play later on... the vast majority of the movie was ultimately predictable and I thought the characters were not only underdeveloped but also uninteresting and cliche. I want my two hours back...

I think Zombi 3 was better... and I'm debating whether to buy Day of the Dead 2 just to see if its better...

Good analysis MJ. And you shouldn't have to apologize for not liking a GAR film. I had high hopes for it too after land, but maybe this is just the way things are now. Just makes me appreciate his classics even more. :cool:

MissJacksonCA
01-Oct-2008, 02:28 AM
I really liked the whole new ways to try to kill the stenchies but ultimately I kinda feel like a few new ways to do that wasn't enough. Neither were the cheap shots to get screams. I feel like Romero may well have lowered his standards for this one. Nothing in it felt new or original. I feel confused.

darth los
02-Oct-2008, 01:05 AM
I really liked the whole new ways to try to kill the stenchies but ultimately I kinda feel like a few new ways to do that wasn't enough. Neither were the cheap shots to get screams. I feel like Romero may well have lowered his standards for this one. Nothing in it felt new or original. I feel confused.

Gar has been way to heavy handed with the cgi stuff. Cgi should be used in only the most subtle of ways or to enhance an already existing conventional effect.

I do think hat he repeated the theme of the film ad nauseum. He didn't need to do that. by the middle of the film i was like "o.k. dude, i get it already". It seemed like filler to me, covering up a shallow hole of a plot/script.

:cool:

MissJacksonCA
02-Oct-2008, 03:54 AM
For sure... when a zombie movie starts to look like it might be a cartoon or Beowulf its time to push eject on the ol dvd machine... my fascination with zombies demands realistic scenes and action... need I demand more?