PDA

View Full Version : Which would you prefer - a classic zombie film or a modern zombie film?

TMac
01-Jun-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, the title pretty much says it all. If you ask me, I'd have to go with a modern zombie film. In specific, Diary of the Dead.

AnxietyDilemma
01-Jun-2008, 11:25 PM
Just as long as the dead aren't able to run faster than I am.

3pidemiC
02-Jun-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm really not sure what you mean...

Slain
02-Jun-2008, 03:36 AM
To me the overriding message in zombies flicks is that our self-serving government institutions will quickly collapse, and that an every man from himself altitude emerges as the only viable mindset in the face of collective human incompetence. Anything else would be a run of mill movie with zombies filling in for alien monsters or terrorists.

ProfessorChaos
02-Jun-2008, 04:16 AM
given the lot of movies that have featured zombies to pop up in the last handful of years (land, diary, 28 days/weeks, the resident evil series, day remake, dawn remake, etc - some were good, but most left me kinda disappointed), i think i'd chose to see more movies that feature more emphasis on plot and mood, rather than action and gags. romero's original trilogy features the kind of character development and plots i'd like to see more of.

perhaps wwz will be a step in the right direction.

acealive1
02-Jun-2008, 04:19 AM
original dawn, it was the one movie that made logical sense.

jim102016
02-Jun-2008, 06:30 AM
Well, the title pretty much says it all. If you ask me, I'd have to go with a modern zombie film. In specific, Diary of the Dead.

Not exactly sure about your definition of classic vs. modern, but if modern equals Diary, then I'll take classic!

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jun-2008, 02:07 PM
I just like zombie films, don't have a preference. If they are good I buy them, if they suck I watch them then return it to the video store.

bassman
02-Jun-2008, 03:09 PM
To me the overriding message in zombies flicks is that our self-serving government institutions will quickly collapse, and that an every man from himself altitude emerges as the only viable mindset in the face of collective human incompetence. Anything else would be a run of mill movie with zombies filling in for alien monsters or terrorists.

What he said.

Danny
02-Jun-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm really not sure what you mean...

your not the only one dude.:rockbrow:

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2008, 07:24 PM
your not the only one dude.:rockbrow:
Pretty simple isn't it? He means as long as the modern zombie films don't feature running zombies ... I got that immediately ... I call pot-smoking on 3p and hellsing! Your brains have gone all slow and "dude ... wait ... what?" on us! :D

I'll go "classic", cos Dawn of the Dead (original and best, obviously) is my all-time favourite movie EVER, and has been for the last 9 years ... next year when I turn 25 it'll be my 10th anniversary with Dawn of the Dead in my life. :)

But I'm not adverse to modern ones ... I am adverse to sh*t ones though, ones I think are sh*t anyway. :D

Redman6565
02-Jun-2008, 09:40 PM

HAHA coward. :lol:

Pretty simple isn't it? He means as long as the modern zombie films don't feature running zombies ... I got that immediately ... I call pot-smoking on 3p and hellsing! Your brains have gone all slow and "dude ... wait ... what?" on us! :D

I'll go "classic", cos Dawn of the Dead (original and best, obviously) is my all-time favourite movie EVER, and has been for the last 9 years ... next year when I turn 25 it'll be my 10th anniversary with Dawn of the Dead in my life. :)

But I'm not adverse to modern ones ... I am adverse to sh*t ones though, ones I think are sh*t anyway. :D

You mean you have had the original Dawn in your life for over 9 years and still haven't noticed the kid zombies at the airport RAN out of the closet? Wow, who' smoking now? :cool:

I just like zombie films, don't have a preference. If they are good I buy them, if they suck I watch them then return it to the video store.

If there was a prize for best answer in this thread you should win it. Nothing beats a good zombie flick old school or new.

bd2999
03-Jun-2008, 12:14 AM
I am up for anything really. I prefer the tride and true classics most of the time when I watch a crappy new movie. The rare good modern movies are great to watch though and I always like to see new stuff.

Skippy911sc
03-Jun-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't care I just want it to be good!!!

Mike70
03-Jun-2008, 12:45 AM
You mean you have had the original Dawn in your life for over 9 years and still haven't noticed the kid zombies at the airport RAN out of the closet? Wow, who' smoking now? :cool:

maybe the kiddie zombies are a bit more spry than their older counterparts. that is certainly true in real life anyway.:D

clanglee
03-Jun-2008, 01:58 AM
There's good new ones and bad old ones,
There's good old ones and bad new ones,
Does it matter?

AnxietyDilemma
03-Jun-2008, 06:58 AM
Edited: because I don't want to start THAT debate again.

Though seriously, a zombie football team would be rather amusing, don't you think?

MinionZombie
03-Jun-2008, 10:20 AM
maybe the kiddie zombies are a bit more spry than their older counterparts. that is certainly true in real life anyway.:D
Or - and this is a shocking discovery I have made - children don't understand movie making, nor one theory of zombie over another, nor do they tend to take direction well and just end up doing whatever they do - hence, kids larking about. :rolleyes:

Oh my godzorz you guys, real life on a low budget indie production snuck in for a brief moment! E-GADZ! :lol:

And with that, I'm off ... I ain't getting dragged into that stale-as-old-chips issue again. :sneaky:

Deaths_Shadow
03-Jun-2008, 12:27 PM
I like all the good movies modern or classic. But if i had to choose i would say classic. It might be the age since the classic's came out in my youth. So to someone younger, modern might be classic to them one day.:clown:

Trin
03-Jun-2008, 04:44 PM
given the lot of movies that have featured zombies to pop up in the last handful of years (land, diary, 28 days/weeks, the resident evil series, day remake, dawn remake, etc - some were good, but most left me kinda disappointed), i think i'd chose to see more movies that feature more emphasis on plot and mood, rather than action and gags. romero's original trilogy features the kind of character development and plots i'd like to see more of.Yep. Plot and mood. Less zombies craving Braaaainnsss and more actual brains. Preferably in the heads of the writers and directors.

There's good new ones...You lost me there old friend....

clanglee
06-Jun-2008, 02:22 AM
You lost me there old friend....

28 days/weeks. . . and yes. . i liked the Dawn remake

so sue me

Neil
06-Jun-2008, 08:11 AM

I don't care if they can run fast or only shamble or if it's a new or old film... As long as the script is a good one (interesting events and insight, and characters behaving in a REALISTIC way), then I'm good!

Yojimbo
06-Jun-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't care if they can run fast or only shamble or if it's a new or old film... As long as the script is a good one (interesting events and insight, and characters behaving in a REALISTIC way), then I'm good!

I'm with Neil on this one!

Redman6565
07-Jun-2008, 05:31 PM

I don't buy that at all. You peak is around 30. I don't see any kids that age able to compete at the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB level. If a kid zombie can run then there is NO reason and adult zombie can't. The effects of death are the same on a humban body no matter the age.

Or - and this is a shocking discovery I have made - children don't understand movie making, nor one theory of zombie over another, nor do they tend to take direction well and just end up doing whatever they do - hence, kids larking about. :rolleyes:

Oh my godzorz you guys, real life on a low budget indie production snuck in for a brief moment! E-GADZ! :lol:

And with that, I'm off ... I ain't getting dragged into that stale-as-old-chips issue again. :sneaky:

Then GAR should edit that scene out of the movie if it doesn't fit. Like a lot of Diary should have been cut.. God I feel bad.

I like all the good movies modern or classic. But if i had to choose i would say classic. It might be the age since the classic's came out in my youth. So to someone younger, modern might be classic to them one day.:clown:

I think you make a great point. It's hard not to love what you grew up with no matter what it is.

28 days/weeks. . . and yes. . i liked the Dawn remake

so sue me

I'd put all three of those right towards the top of my list. I don't see how you couldn't.