PDA

View Full Version : Jeez, it must rain in Hollywood ALL THE TIME!

Neil
02-Jun-2008, 06:38 AM
Watch in how many films (& TV programs) where the roads are wet! Wonder why they do that? Why wet the roads down before filming?

Anyone know the answer to this great mystery?

MikePizzoff
02-Jun-2008, 11:41 AM
This is really a shot in the dark, but perhaps it's done on really hot days to cool down the area a little bit? Filming for hours on hot black top must be annoying, so they wet the street to give the crew some relief. I'm really not sure.

Neil
02-Jun-2008, 12:04 PM
This is really a shot in the dark, but perhaps it's done on really hot days to cool down the area a little bit? Filming for hours on hot black top must be annoying, so they wet the street to give the crew some relief. I'm really not sure.

I recon they do it purely for asthetics... I've noticed they especially do it for night scenes, so I suspect it makes the 'lighting' look nicer to see reflections etc...!?

Someone must know the real reason though?

Danny
02-Jun-2008, 12:49 PM
i believe its a quick clean off of the top and a cheap way to get highlightive lighting.

....i think thats a word.

p2501
02-Jun-2008, 02:59 PM
also it evens out the road color. wet roads tend to have a more unified color and the water will mask any pot holes, defects, marks etc.

Neil
02-Jun-2008, 03:22 PM
also it evens out the road color. wet roads tend to have a more unified color and the water will mask any pot holes, defects, marks etc.

That's a good one! I like that one!

EvilNed
02-Jun-2008, 04:27 PM
I recon they do it purely for asthetics... I've noticed they especially do it for night scenes, so I suspect it makes the 'lighting' look nicer to see reflections etc...!?

They talk about this exact topic in the directors/cinematographers commentary of "In the Mouth of Madness". I'm gonna check it out right now, and see what they say.

-

The cinematographer says that it's more or less purely aesthetic. A wet street attracts more reflections, from all lights and thus gets a very interesting look.

Tricky
02-Jun-2008, 05:15 PM
car tyres squeal better on wet roads as well,the impression us english folk have is that american cars cant even creep forward without the tyres squealing :lol:

C5NOTLD
03-Jun-2008, 12:10 AM

That's exactly why they do it - they like the look. It's a lighting thing. lol Cinematographers love the look since the light reflects. Many night scenes are shot with wet streets for the reflections. Many productions have water trucks that will drive up and down the street spraying water out to maintain it during the shooting.

Neil
03-Jun-2008, 07:12 AM
They talk about this exact topic in the directors/cinematographers commentary of "In the Mouth of Madness". I'm gonna check it out right now, and see what they say.

-

The cinematographer says that it's more or less purely aesthetic. A wet street attracts more reflections, from all lights and thus gets a very interesting look.

I WIN! I WIN! :thumbsup:

My suggestion from above - I recon they do it purely for asthetics... I've noticed they especially do it for night scenes, so I suspect it makes the 'lighting' look nicer to see reflections etc..