View Full Version : 'The Quiet Earth' - Apocalyptic film

Neil
02-Jun-2008, 09:59 AM
I watched this over the weekend - Never seen it before. I was actually very impressed with it and am surprised it hasn't been remade.

Maybe there's not enough fighting, sex and car chases in it though, hence Hollywood not being interested!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

AcesandEights
02-Jun-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I remember looking into this and several other films of a similar ilk (one very notable one was a UK or Australian production that I can't remember the name of right now). I am pretty sure I got onto these films after seeing a link to a website dedicated to the post-apocalyptic genre on these boards over this last year.

Links of some of the scenes from this film were available on you tube (surprise, surprise,) iirc.

p2501
02-Jun-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks for the reminder i've been meaning to catch this one.

Mike70
02-Jun-2008, 10:42 PM
I watched this over the weekend - Never seen it before. I was actually very impressed with it and am surprised it hasn't been remade.

Maybe there's not enough fighting, sex and car chases in it though, hence Hollywood not being interested!

that is an awesome film. one of the truely classic endings ever.

Legion2213
03-Jun-2008, 02:50 AM

I'd never seen it myself unti I DL'd it last year, I enjoyed it (ending was a bit odd IMO), but it was still a good little movie...it's only a fiver on amazon, I keep meaning to buy it and flesh out my collection with it.

Neil
03-Jun-2008, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I remember looking into this and several other films of a similar ilk (one very notable one was a UK or Australian production that I can't remember the name of right now). I am pretty sure I got onto these films after seeing a link to a website dedicated to the post-apocalyptic genre on these boards over this last year.

Links of some of the scenes from this film were available on you tube (surprise, surprise,) iirc.

Jack Nicholson was down to play the lead, but wanted too much money!

If you can suggest any other apocalytic films, let me know please...

Legion2213
03-Jun-2008, 07:44 AM
Panic in the Year Zero

This is Not a Test

The Last Woman on Earth

The Last Train (not a bad little series IMO)

Survivors Series 1-3 (fantastic series, I really enjoyed watching these)

CornishCorpse
03-Jun-2008, 06:16 PM
Defintly going to be picking this one up. Thanks for the heads up MZ.

Legion is the last Train the Spike Milligan series or is that something diffrent Im thinking of?

Legion2213
03-Jun-2008, 06:59 PM
Legion is the last Train the Spike Milligan series or is that something diffrent Im thinking of?

Erm, it's something different bud. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Train

It's not avaialable on DVD or anything, but a quick google of "the last train torrent" would gain one access to the series. ;)

It's worth a watch if you've nothing better to do IMO.

Eyebiter
03-Jun-2008, 11:30 PM
Jack Nicholson was down to play the lead, but wanted too much money!

If you can suggest any other apocalytic films, let me know please...

Night of the Comet Def-con 4 Battletruck A Boy and his Dog Damnation Alley Soylent Green Omega Man Threads Radioactive Dreams Hardware Six-String Samurai The Postman

Mike70
03-Jun-2008, 11:38 PM
Survivors Series 1-3 (fantastic series, I really enjoyed watching these)

the wife and i totally loved this show. it has never been released on DVD or even shown over here on TV (or at least to my knowledge it hasn't ) before so i had to use, ahem, alternate means to acquire it.

i think that series 1 is the best of the lot.

Kaos
03-Jun-2008, 11:45 PM

It has been a personal fave for years. I purchased a copy on dvd as soon as it was released in the U.S.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41evEaEcT5L._SS500_.jpg

capncnut
03-Jun-2008, 11:53 PM
Awesome poster, real atmospheric...

Mike70
04-Jun-2008, 12:15 AM
Awesome poster, real atmospheric...

it does give away the end of the movie however. not as bad as the vhs/dvd dawn covers with a zombified roger on them but still...

Neil
04-Jun-2008, 08:55 AM
it does give away the end of the movie however. not as bad as the vhs/dvd dawn covers with a zombified roger on them but still...

I wouldn't say so... I think you have to have seen the movie to understand the cover...

Legion2213
04-Jun-2008, 10:30 AM
the wife and i totally loved this show. it has never been released on DVD or even shown over here on TV (or at least to my knowledge it hasn't ) before so i had to use, ahem, alternate means to acquire it.

i think that series 1 is the best of the lot.

Yeah, series 1 is by far the best, the show suffered/lost something when Terry Nation left. The loss of characters/actors and locations after series 1 also hurt the show.

Series 2 did have some good stuff though, series 3 was a bit "meh", but still far superior to most stuff I watch on TV these days

Overall though, a highly enjoyable and very atmospheric story IMO...I shudder to think what the BBC will do when they remake it as a 6 parter (if it ever goes ahead).

As for the DVD's, if you have an R2 capable player, you can get them for £18/$36 per season now.

Mike70
04-Jun-2008, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't say so... I think you have to have seen the movie to understand the cover...

you're probably right. i've seen that film a number of times and every time i see that poster it takes me back to that ending.

it certainly isn't the dawn vhs covers that had a zombified roger on the front of them. talk about giving away a major plot point.

anyway - those of you that have seen this and are fans (neil, kaos, et. al) what do you make of the ending? what do you think it means?

Neil
04-Jun-2008, 04:10 PM
you're probably right. i've seen that film a number of times and every time i see that poster it takes me back to that ending.

it certainly isn't the dawn vhs covers that had a zombified roger on the front of them. talk about giving away a major plot point.

anyway - those of you that have seen this and are fans (neil, kaos, et. al) what do you make of the ending? what do you think it means?

*spoilers*

I took it that he (like everyone else on earth) had been 'shifted' to another planet by the effect. Now what I was unclear on was if this had happened prior to the explosion (as would most make sense), or during the explosion...

If it was during the explosion then he should have staye don earth so I was a little confused...

Maybe the book could clear it up?

Mike70
04-Jun-2008, 04:15 PM
yeah, i have always thought that it was some sort of dimensional shift that moved the people from one planet to another or even from one universe to another.

or it could be a shift from one plane of existence to another, higher plane.

kidgloves
04-Jun-2008, 04:26 PM
On the Beach (the 2000 version) is quite a good Apocalyptic movie. I think its a TV movie but quite enjoyable.

The R2 version of Quiet Earth that i have has a similar cover

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51D027EGYAL._SS500_.jpg

wayzim
04-Jun-2008, 09:32 PM

Not happy with the idea someone would remake it. I like it as is.

After reading your post I rewatched it. It was on an old old tape that's kind of an indie triple threat. Wings of Desire (A cool German film badly remade by Hollywood as City of Angels ) The Quiet Earth and the most excellent The Last Wave (Peter Weir's 1977 apocalyptic film starring Richard Chamberlain )

Wayne Z

Neil
05-Jun-2008, 03:14 PM
Not happy with the idea someone would remake it. I like it as is.

After reading your post I rewatched it. It was on an old old tape that's kind of an indie triple threat. Wings of Desire (A cool German film badly remade by Hollywood as City of Angels ) The Quiet Earth and the most excellent The Last Wave (Peter Weir's 1977 apocalyptic film starring Richard Chamberlain )

Wayne Z

*spoiler*

The only thing that annoyed me about the film was how unbothered he generally seemed within the first 10 or so mins of the film by the fact he couldn't find anyone...

wayzim
06-Jun-2008, 12:18 AM
*spoiler*

The only thing that annoyed me about the film was how unbothered he generally seemed within the first 10 or so mins of the film by the fact he couldn't find anyone...

*spoiler*

I think it was he was a problem solver, taking it one thing at a time. Maybe the lack of people was a secondary affect of the big picture? Or it could just be plain old denial? Or both?
Oh, and didn't he tell the girl he wasn't much of a people person?
Maybe.

Wayne Z