PDA

View Full Version : Post Apocalypse Poll

Legion2213
03-Jun-2008, 08:08 AM
OMFG, the world has ended! It doesn't matter why or how, all that matters is that you and a handfull of other humans have survived...now for the big question.

How low would you go to survive? I expect most of us here are pretty decent people, but once (in the words of Edgar Rice Burroughs) the "thin veneer of Civilisation" has been peeled away, just what sort of survivor do you think you would become?

Please give examples of things you would do differently than you do now, i.e taking from the weak, murder of folks who get in your way etc.

ProfessorChaos
03-Jun-2008, 08:38 AM
i buy into the idea of the social contract theory, which means that it's mutually beneficial for people to agree not to do certain things (murder, rape, steal, etc) that harm others, as long as others agree to the same code of conduct. i'd do my best to look out and defend everyone around me, as long as it's understood that i expect the same from them.

at the same time, there's a phrase that goes something along the lines of "no better friend, no worse enemy". while i'd be loyal and dedicated to those i'd band with to survive, i wouldn't waste a single heartbeat debating whether or not to retaliate against (or even kill, if necessary) another person who either attacked myself or my group, tried to abduct anyone (women, specifically) from the group, attempted to rob us, etc.

once things got really bad, however, given my military training and whatnot, i'd probably adopt a very combative and survivalist approach to things and hopefully be an effective enough team member/leader to encourage the people with me to see things my way, as i've seen enough of the type of scumbags in the world to know what sort of crap to expect given the circumstances. i'd still try to allow my ethics and morals to guide my actions, but my survival instinct would ultimately trump any feelings i may have about being kind or decent (especially to those who don't deserve to be treated that way).

Neil
03-Jun-2008, 10:09 AM
tried to abduct anyone (women, specifically) from the group.

I don't get this sort of theory. Given our suggest position:-
- Within days, clean water is hard to find, and food is getting short.
- Within weeks/months, most resources are getting very hard to find.
- Withing years, hardware is starting to fail and can't be repaired.

Basically, survival would be so hard, the last thing on anyones mind surely would be risking their lives just to kidnap women?

That said, this strangely applicable today (on the BBC) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7432306.stm

AcesandEights
03-Jun-2008, 02:19 PM
the last thing on anyones mind surely would be risking their lives just to kidnap women?

A wise 13 year old once said:

Womenz is teh fat l00tz of RL.

Think about all the symbolism inherent in a relationship with the opposite sex (women in men's mind's especially). There's the hope for a future. A hope for the only sort of immortality that is ever guaranteed to us, the one that is hardwired into most of humanity--procreation. There's the lesser, evolutionary byproducts of our physical and emotional links to procreation: horniness and the desire for a pair bond of some sort. Also the desire for what most of us see as homogeneity or a status quo in keeping with how life is supposed to work for people (you grow up, kill a few zombies, raid for a self-sustaining compound of your own, meet a nice girl and settle down). Sheer loneliness and a desire to link up with a woman to share something outside of the normal male to male relationship is part of it, as well. Women allow many men, I think, to open up and access emotional reserves, vulnerabilities and strengths that they never thought possible, this in turn increases the richness of the lives we live.

Plus, you can trade a bed-able (and biddable) female for a pint of water or quart of whiskey any day of the week ;)

So, does that make sense?

Neil
03-Jun-2008, 02:36 PM
A wise 13 year old once said:

Womenz is teh fat l00tz of RL.

Think about all the symbolism inherent in a relationship with the opposite sex (women in men's mind's especially). There's the hope for a future. A hope for the only sort of immortality that is ever guaranteed to us, the one that is hardwired into most of humanity--procreation. There's the lesser, evolutionary byproducts of our physical and emotional links to procreation: horniness and the desire for a pair bond of some sort. Also the desire for what most of us see as homogeneity or a status quo in keeping with how life is supposed to work for people (you grow up, kill a few zombies, raid for a self-sustaining compound of your own, meet a nice girl and settle down). Sheer loneliness and a desire to link up with a woman to share something outside of the normal male to male relationship is part of it, as well. Women allow many men, I think, to open up and access emotional reserves, vulnerabilities and strengths that they never thought possible, this in turn increases the richness of the lives we live.

Plus, you can trade a bed-able (and biddable) female for a pint of water or quart of whiskey any day of the week ;)

So, does that make sense?

Sort of... There's some very good observations in there!

But in a world gone that bad, you need everyone to help. This means people willing to work and shoot for the benefit of the group. Someone who you have 'stolen' from another group is not likely to be helpful, possibly the opposite. And certainly not someone you'd give a gun to, to help defend the group...

AcesandEights
03-Jun-2008, 02:40 PM
But in a world gone that bad, you need everyone to help. This means people willing to work and shoot for the benefit of the group. Someone who you have 'stolen' from another group is not likely to be helpful, possibly the opposite. And certainly not someone you'd give a gun to, to help defend the group...

Very, very true and totally rational. I just don't expect all of humanity to behave rationally, especially when they think the world just went down the ****ter. That's when a lot of darkness comes out of people, sometimes out of decent, or decent-seeming people and cruelty, desperation and the like can be contagious.

But yeah, I wouldn't steal (many) women either, Neil :)

Mike70
03-Jun-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't get this sort of theory. Given our suggest position:-
- Within days, clean water is hard to find, and food is getting short.
- Within weeks/months, most resources are getting very hard to find.
- Withing years, hardware is starting to fail and can't be repaired.

these would more applicable in a city than in an area where i live ( a small town in the middle of nowhere with the next town 12 miles away)

as for clean water - just about any water source can rendered safe by boiling.

food wouldn't/shouldn't be that big of problem either. hunting and fishing can take care of that.

hopefully after a period of years some folks would have congregated in big enough groups that there would be people with special skills (engineers, etc.) to start working on getting things back together.

as far as how i would act: i'd try to be decent to people but i wouldn't trust anyone i didn't know. i'd would be in shoot first and maybe ask some questions when the smoke clears mode at the slightest hint of shennanigans.

i think a few simple rules would help protect you and your group:

no one goes anywhere alone.
no one goes anywhere unarmed.
no one goes anywhere with/near strangers until they have proved they can be trusted.
some one will stand watch from a good vantage point at all times.
any stranger/strangers entering the area my group is staying would have to surrender their firearms or be shot out of hand. sorry but that is the best way i think of ensuring my own safety.

Neil
03-Jun-2008, 03:08 PM
these would more applicable in a city than in an area where i live ( a small town in the middle of nowhere with the next town 12 miles away)

as for clean water - just about any water source can rendered safe by boiling.

food wouldn't/shouldn't be that big of problem either. hunting and fishing can take care of that.

hopefully after a period of years some folks would have congregated in big enough groups that there would be people with special skills (engineers, etc.) to start working on getting things back together.

as far as how i would act: i'd try to be decent to people but i wouldn't trust anyone i didn't know. i'd would be in shoot first and maybe ask some questions when the smoke clears mode at the slightest hint of shennanigans.

i think a few simple rules would help protect you and your group:

no one goes anywhere alone.
no one goes anywhere unarmed.
no one goes anywhere with/near strangers until they have proved they can be trusted.
some one will stand watch from a good vantage point at all times.
any stranger/strangers entering the area my group is staying would have to surrender their firearms or be shot out of hand. sorry but that is the best way i think of ensuring my own safety.

Water - Boiling required a heat source. Assuming the 'worst' you'd have to go out, get wood, and then manage to light it.

Food - Most people do not know how to hunt and fish very well.

Groups - Yes, if you're lucky enough to be in a community, then that would greatly help. But that would overcome the issue of 'taking women' (which my post was about), as you'd expect a big enough group of people to require civilised behaviour meaning give women freedom...

Mike70
03-Jun-2008, 03:14 PM
Water - Boiling required a heat source. Assuming the 'worst' you'd have to go out, get wood, and then manage to light it.

Food - Most people do not know how to hunt and fish very well.

again most people in cities might not but i live way out in the country where most people grow up doing both of those things on a regular basis.

Neil
03-Jun-2008, 03:34 PM
again most people in cities might not but i live way out in the country where most people grow up doing both of those things on a regular basis.

But the other 99% of us city softies are screwed :)

On a serious note though, this matter often worries me. If any $hit ever hits the fan, people like myself are screwed...

AcesandEights
03-Jun-2008, 03:42 PM
On a serious note though, this matter often worries me. If any $hit ever hits the fan, people like myself are screwed...

Exactly why getting back to nature on vacation or on a weekend now and then can be of great peace of mind for reasons other than the standard relaxation & recreation mindset.

Neil
03-Jun-2008, 03:56 PM
Exactly why getting back to nature on vacation or on a weekend now and then can be of great peace of mind for reasons other than the standard relaxation & recreation mindset.

Bit difficult in the UK, living near London... Not really any real nature left :)

Another of my pipe dreams about emigrating to Canada of course is the gut feeling that if the $hit hit the fan, you'd be better off in Canada, than the UK...

jim102016
03-Jun-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm sure this will shock many who currently live in Fantasy Land...but I would no longer be Politically Correct if the world went to hell in a hand basket.

CornishCorpse
03-Jun-2008, 05:43 PM
Argh! I posted a long blab about my thoughts and got interval server error. Bollocks. Anyway I chose the second option glad most people have what I consider to be the right answer. In a life or death situation like that the lines get very blurred and there is a whole lot of grey when it comes to the rules and what you would do to survive.

Id take those I could although no more than 20-25 people although thats alot of food and water per person per day thats three six man search teams plus seven people to prepare food and rest of the next day when they go searching. Id kill if I had to but thats one of those choices that in a situation like that you had to know. No time to feel guilt and grieve. "Fight now, Grieve later" what film is that from?

Oh and Neil summer coming up and there are plenty of places down here that will teach you to hunt and fish and put youre paranioa to rest! Be sure to check out the place Ill be staying for the first couple weeks of the infection after the looting stage, Bodmin Moor :D

Shadowofthedead
04-Jun-2008, 07:35 PM
i think i may have picked the wrong one but if sh!t hit the fan i would do anything necessary to survive. all social order would collapse if something like this were to happen. hell we just had a tornado in my area last night and a town close to me set up a relief station at a local school handin out food and other things. the place had 60 people in it. they werent bad off they were just lazy. others will have the "ill take what i want and to hell with everyone else" mentality so why shouldnt i? if i show an ounce of humilaty im dead and so might be my family. i wont take that chance. i will shoot when necessary and hide when needed. i will not take the chance of losin someone i love to the hands of idiots who want a free ride. they can either earn it or die tryin. oh and i live in the country and i know oxford ohio pretty well especially the local kroger store in and out. i know how to get in even when everythin is locked. ha. one up on yall:elol:

SRP76
08-Jun-2008, 04:59 PM
I would be a total bastard. No need for weaklings and their little "groups". Anyone who gets in my way gets shot, period.

Well, actually, I do have a use for a "group": your group is bound to attract zombie attention, so I'll be able to move around freely while you get eaten. I'll be sure to whisper "thanks for the distraction, dummies" as I make my getaway.

ZombieGrrL
09-Jun-2008, 03:35 AM
I would try to help anyone and everyone who wanted help but everyone would need to be a Team player. There would have to be rules which obviously not everyone would like.

I would not hesitate to kill anyone if they compromised the group at all. You wouldn't be able to "kick" anyone out as they would certainly take revenge on the group. An unfortunate situation in a dog eat dog post apocalyptic world.

SRP76
10-Jun-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm sure this will shock many who currently live in Fantasy Land...but I would no longer be Politically Correct if the world went to hell in a hand basket.

:lol:

You wouldn't really have to. Despite what most people think, you'll probably be alone, anyway. The odds of very many people all surviving the initial breaking-loose-of-Hell in order to "band together to fight the evil forces of the Legion of Doom" are very long. You might wind up with three family members, and two of them will get eaten in the first week.

So, before too long, interpersonal skills likely won't be used much further than the first few weeks.

Legion2213
12-Jun-2008, 09:07 PM
SRP, this isn't a zombie specific scenario, it could be anything, plague, rapture or even aliens abducting 99% of the population for anal probing purposes.

Just curious as to what peoples views where about the morals they have today and the morals they might have tomorrow.

SRP76
12-Jun-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, same deal applies regardless. Survival is the only directive.

Unless you mean that the event is over, and it's not a case of being under attack 24/7 by whatever it was. If it's just "aftermath", then it gets more desperate:

When we're still getting assaulted, people will be too busy to mess with me. But, as soon as it's over, groups will immediately try to impose "rule" again, and stick me back into the gutter. Humans can not be happy unless someone else is suffering. That's been proven.

Therefore, I must do all I can to get rid of any remaining people. If I don't, they'll try to subjugate me and turn me into a slave. That is not acceptable; they have to be destroyed first.

If it sounds like I don't trust people...it's because I don't.:p

Legion2213
13-Jun-2008, 09:17 AM
You really should've voted for option 4 my friend. :D

http://www.kzmu.org/photos/shows/large/humungus2.jpg

Wooley
14-Jun-2008, 11:17 PM
I took option 2 because there isn't much point in surviving the calamity if you commit suicide years later because your haunted by your decisions, but surviving might entail things that you ordinarily wouldn't do. The trick is, do what you need to to see the sunrise tomorrow, while being able to sleep tonight.

Now, I think I'm a bit more fortunate than others in that I've long been interested in survivalism and have accured a lot of survival info. Unfortunately, a number of factors have prevented me from actually getting out and practicing and testing much of that info, and accumulating the supplies talked about.

Still, I think that puts me ahead of the population who will be waiting for the military and FEMA to save them, and keep me from making decisions that will bring me into conflict with other survivors, like trying to scavenge, and becoming a raider.

For example, instead of trying to loot a supermarket, or raid a farmer, I'd check into grain silos, and food related businesses. I used to work at an industrial bakery, and we had pallets of flour, dried milk, sugar, buckets of peanut butter, honey, etc. It might get overlooked.

I would prefer having a supply of food, sizable quantity of ammo, etc, but I'll make do with what I've got.