PDA

View Full Version : with no knowledge where would you go...

Shadowofthedead
04-Jun-2008, 07:59 PM
ive read to many threads and posts today about what people would do if the dead got up and started goin to munch town on people. but heres something... crap hits the fan right now as you go about your day to day life. you have no prior knowledge of anything zombie. what do you do? where do you go? what tools do you have to protect yourself with? before replyin to this post forget everything you know about the living dead... think that the idea of this could happen is unbelieveable... now reply to the post. forget max brooks forget everything. now reply... i love to see what you guys and gals come up with. it might just shock you!

oh and for those of you wanting to know what universe this is set in this is set in true romero universe nothing else!

AcesandEights
04-Jun-2008, 08:25 PM
I have three umbrellas I have been collecting at the office...not too good, eh? If I can get home from NYC (not likely in such a scenario) I am much better off as far as tools of defense are concerned. Aside from that, at the office (assuming sh*t hit the fan the moment I started reading this post) I'm pretty damn vulnerable and would just have to fall back on one of my five Get-the-****-out-of-NYC plans that I reserve for terrorist/riot/end of the world as we know it scenarios.

That said, I have the two most important survival tools on me at all times: my brain and a good pair of feet.

Shadowofthedead
04-Jun-2008, 08:38 PM
i think it was just me sittin on edge waitin to see what one of yall would say. to reply to my own. i currently am out of a job and staying around my parents house and living with my grandmother. i keep my scatter gun and 357 magnum at my grandmother's because she has had alot of breakins within the last year or so. and i have a variety of things at my parents house to do damage with. the internet would not be something i could use to get info due to the fact we still have dial up. we have 30 acres of land and most of our vehicles are truck or suv in nature and are four wheel drive so gettin where we would need to go isnt a problem. i think at the immeadeate threat id just start takin pot shots at anything that moved until i found out more. heck i do that now. i know how to hunt fish field dress that sort of thing. problem would be securin our farm in the near future but im sure i would figure out that as went about things. first thing is learnin so id do my best to listen to and read every bit of media i could get my hands on and plan as the problem came about. im not sure of my emotions towards the happenigs at hand. i would prolly crap my pants with first introduction with the living dead. hard to tell. well not so much. one time when i was high as a kite i was on this web site and heard our local emergency sirens at about 10 pm i saw lights and heard gun fire and a helicopter in the air. i thought the dead had rose up. i was outside with a butcher knife and a hand axe ready to mess things up. paranoia was my biggest concern i was scared poopless and had no more uplifting paraphenalia. so yeah i know exactly how i would feel. this stuff is addictin what can i say i love zombies!

soulsyfn
04-Jun-2008, 09:03 PM
This is a difficult task because honestly we all do know what everyone should do. However I will take this as an exercise...

Right now I am in my office in Rosslyn Farms, and I have my Ruger P95 in my bag loaded with hollow point 9mm rounds with one in the chamber (I have a LTCF and what is the point of racking back the slide if you are attacked every second counts). I would assume that I would hear about the attacks via a CNN notification or via the streaming radio I am listening to on my computer. So I would probably think its a joke of some sort but I would still err on the side of caution and grab my bag, put my gun on my hip in its holster (OWB). I would carefully exit the building via the stairway with my keys in my hand and my backpack on with both straps.

This is where it gets sort of like a multiple decision book where you would flip to a different part of the book based on the choices you make... so I will make the choices based on my ideal situation.

I will assume that many people will not take the reports seriously or will not know what is going on because they are not listening to the radio all day like I do and will stay where they are. So leaving the building should be uneventful. The rain is coming down right now which will make the roads slippery and will cause some traffic jams. So given those facts I would put my truck in 4x4 just to ensure a safer trip and then take as many back roads as possible. I would take Baldwin road to Rosslyn Farms road to see what the traffic on the parkway is like. If its not bad I will take the park way and exit on 19 towards the liberty tunnels... I would have to take 1 tunnel to head home which I would do because that is where my 5 year old son is and getting to him would be my primary mission.

On the way I would call the sitter and tell her to close and lock all the doors and windows till I get there and not to open the door for anyone but me. I would also ask her to start packing supplies - e.g., canned food, bottled water, etc.

If the liberty tunnel is clear I would continue to take that and exit on to East Carson street. At this time of the day the area is not traffic heavy and there are many roads that I can turn on in case the **** hits the fan while I am driving. I would then take the braddock/homestead exit and head towards my house. Again taking all of these back roads will give me multiple options for escape in case something happens.

If everything goes ok I should arrive at the house pretty quickly from here and then I would asses the situation by watching the news and listening to the radio. Once I have a better idea of what is going on I would react from there...

Is this what you were looking for? If so continue the scenario with events and I will react to that.

Shadowofthedead
04-Jun-2008, 09:18 PM
well you got the plan down... but i was lookin for a more in depth look at how you would feel. to me it seems this is an " all stiuations" plan which is good but i wanna know what you think your reaction would be when you first encountered a zombie. take into consideration you know NOTHING about zombies. no prior knowledge i mean. you hear bits and pieces on the radio but cant believe it. you made it evident your son is your top priority. youve got that handled. my job in this thread is to give you questions your job is to remove all knowledge of the living dead from your brain and then answer the questions. AGAIN I WILL SAY AND IM NOT SHOUTING... WHEN REPLYING FORGET EVERYTHING EVERYTHING!!!! YOU KNOW ABOUT ZOMBIES. that is what is so crucial (spell check!) about this post is that people understand that they must forget what they know in order to see the out come.

Slain
05-Jun-2008, 06:47 AM
I live in small town dedicated to tourism, with the major residential and business areas located on the other side of a good size river. A zombie outbreak wouldn't have much to work with here (at first anyway) since we have no morgue, hospital, or ghetto with a reservoir corpses that could rise on short notice. This would probably change as old people died from the stress of the outbreak, and panic sets with people killing and getting killed with looting and carjacking.

My flight options are kind of limited since my chances of driving across the bridge spanning the river in the middle of a panic without getting killed or ripped off seems rather slim. Assuming my car hasn't been stolen, I would load it up with whatever seemed useful, and wait out in the desert to see how things shaped up. Things I wouldn't do: go down to civic and offer my services to the cops, or join my fellow apartment residents to form some kind of militia.

If the zombie outbreak is something like the one in Dawn '04 I, where 1 becomes 2 every minute or so, I would either to try shooting my way out of town right away, or make a stand on the roof for a while and bug out when the opportunity arose. ETA Romero zombie is so firmly etched into in the public consciousness it's kind of silly to pretend nobody knows about it. Any kind of phenomenon where people or corpses turn into mindless(?), flesh eating creatures is going to be compared to the Romero zombies in Night of the Living Dead.

Anyway, shooting an attacker in the head to stop them when they won't go down with hits to the torso is SOP to people with military or paramilitary training, and they will likely discover head shots are the key--if they’re lucky. If zombie like creature were to really appear who knows how or what method will kill them; a damage to their acid filled stomachs, a stake through the heart, incineration, etc.

soulsyfn
05-Jun-2008, 05:30 PM
The reality of what I would probably do would ... well what everyone else might do. You said it was the Romero universe and therefore the Z's are slow moving. So this is what I think would happen:

In this situation I am by myself
I see a shambling figure in front of me, its moving very slowly and there seems to be a moan of some sort. Being a helping type of person I would expect that I would move forward with caution and ask if this person is ok. The Z would probably acknowledge my question with a louder moan and shift its body movements in my direction. I believe I would hold my ground and not move forward but I would put my hand on the grip of my Ruger with my right hand and with my left hand I would point and use a forceful tone and shout again, "ARE YOU OK!?"

As the figure got closer and I see the the Z for what it really is... a walking corpse. This is the point where I would probably **** my pants and start taking steps backwards. I would also probably draw my gun from its holster and continue to shout, this time halt or stop, and this would probably draw the attention of more Z's. I would hopefully hear other shambling moaners and hopefully get away by moving around them. Unfortuneately I am not in great shape and due to injuries from playing football I would not be able to run for longer than a few minutes at a time. So I would do a fast walk type of move however chances are if I was approached from multiple directions I would be to shocked to defend myself properly so I would assume that I would trip over something on the ground and probably get eaten.

well you got the plan down... but i was lookin for a more in depth look at how you would feel. to me it seems this is an " all stiuations" plan which is good but i wanna know what you think your reaction would be when you first encountered a zombie. take into consideration you know NOTHING about zombies. no prior knowledge i mean. you hear bits and pieces on the radio but cant believe it. you made it evident your son is your top priority. youve got that handled. my job in this thread is to give you questions your job is to remove all knowledge of the living dead from your brain and then answer the questions. AGAIN I WILL SAY AND IM NOT SHOUTING... WHEN REPLYING FORGET EVERYTHING EVERYTHING!!!! YOU KNOW ABOUT ZOMBIES. that is what is so crucial (spell check!) about this post is that people understand that they must forget what they know in order to see the out come.

Redman6565
05-Jun-2008, 11:46 PM

Seeing as how I listen to 'talk radio' all day at work I'd freak. Sort of like on 9/11. I was the first one to hear that the first plane hit the towers and went 'holly s@#t' and yelled for everyone to go to the TV. We saw the second one hit live. I'd figure some stupid 'news' team would be out there reporting live. Once the first reporter would get bitten I'd 'high five' everyone.

Then I'd leave work and head for home to watch more TV. Then I'd beome the best friend of the guy who drives the snow plow truck where I live have fun until we run out of gas and most likely end up a zombie like everyone else.

Oh yea. As for what I'd do the first time I see a zombie. Well if it's feeding I'd do what most people would do, throw up.

Yojimbo
06-Jun-2008, 04:01 PM
Since I am a funeral director, I would be pretty much screwed. Down the hall from my office is our morgue where there are usually 10 to 20 remains of the recently dead.

I also live in Los Angeles where it is nearly impossible to get a CCW, and since I am a law abiding citizen I would need to get to my house in order to strap up and arm myself. In order to get home, therefore, I would have to fight my way out of the office, drive through what I would imagine would be horribly gridlocked traffic until I could drive no further, then would have to abandon my car and fight my way home through what would be the most chaotic environment of looters, armed and trigger happy yet poorly skilled at shooting people (so that if they are shooting at something they are likely to hit anything but what they are aiming at) people who are freaking out, trigger-happy cops who, given the circumstances, will most likely be looking out for themselves instead of the general population, and ghouls looking to eat me. So basically I'm screwed!!!

SRP76
10-Jun-2008, 11:16 PM
With no knowledge, we'd all get eaten. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter that you can make a cannon out of a donut and a dry-erase marker; if you don't know what you're dealing with, you're dead. By the time you even figured out "go for the head", you'd be minus your spleen.

Staredge
11-Jun-2008, 01:01 AM
With no knowledge, we'd all get eaten. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter that you can make a cannon out of a donut and a dry-erase marker; if you don't know what you're dealing with, you're dead. By the time you even figured out "go for the head", you'd be minus your spleen.

DING DING DING DING DING

We have a winna!!!!!!

:dead:

I think pretty quick on my feet, and am pretty unflappable in an emergency, but I'm toast. I was an EMT too long to not try to find out if someone is ok. Hopefully I'd put up a fight, but I'm thinking I'm zack bait.

sandrock74
11-Jun-2008, 03:00 AM
If ANY freaky **** goes down: shambling or running zombies, vampires with AIDS, werewolves armed with shotguns, Frankensteins Monster on steroids...whatever...I leave town and don't stop until I hit Port Austin. Its far enough away from population centers and it's a sparsely populated tourist town and surrounded by water. Supernatural creatures hate water, so that helps.

Now if the Creature From The Black Lagoon riding a jet ski shows up, I guess I'm just screwed.

jim102016
12-Jun-2008, 12:46 AM
I'd wait in my house for President Obama Hussein to come and get me.

MissJacksonCA
12-Jun-2008, 04:01 AM
You really should've set the scene about where we are when the zombies strike against us. Are we at work? Did we hear something outside go bump in the night? Either way. I'd be SOL right now. I totaled my car and my bike wheels are flat. I have no rental car because of a suspended license. And while I'd like to pretend I can hot wire a car I've got to be honest... I'd prolly just blow the damn thing up if I tried... that's the kinda luck I have. I suppose I could try to hole up in my apartment but we've all seen what happens when you try that. To leave 'town' i'd have to pass a cemetary not to mention the only roads out of town are either one lane on either side or two lanes and they get so backed up now that its summer time with people going to/from the lake that I imagine we'd end up like in Gary's movie... you'd see bumper to bumper cars parked and out of the haze comes a swarm of zombies. I guess i'd try to hoof it to someones house on the outskirts by the most meandering way possible. Going through the woods where people would be less likely to travel. And either waiting to get shot by a psycho or eaten by a zombie en route to where ever. Oh and I couldn't arm myself because quite frankly my kitchen knives seem to have gone by the wayside during my last move and really in a panic I'm less likely to grab something to defend myself. I'm more of a move out of the way of trouble kinda gal.

Shadowofthedead
12-Jun-2008, 04:10 AM
i guess i didnt do my home work myself when startin this thread. what i mean and i will cap it for those that want high lights... FORGET EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT ZOMBIES!!!! THIS IS CRUCIAL!!! NEXT THIS SETTING IS IN TRUE ROMERO UNIVERSE... ZOMBIES ARE SLOW... YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE AT AROUND MID DAY OR JUST SET IT UP YOURSELF... POINT IS WHAT MEANS DO YOU HAVE TO PROTECT YOURSELF? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR PLAN OF ESCAPE? THIS IS A WORLD WITHOUT ROMERO'S MOVIES OR THAT IS THE LAST THING THAT COMES TO MIND. THATS WHY I SAID FORGET EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT ZOMBIES AND THAT IT WAS SET IN ROMERO UNIVERSE.

now is there anymore questions? i think i summed it up

MissJacksonCA
12-Jun-2008, 04:24 AM
well without zombie movies how would i know id have a need for an escape plan? or that i'd need to arm myself? that's how people die... they dont know they need to escape because they're unable to comprehend the idea of dead people eating living people

Shadowofthedead
12-Jun-2008, 04:54 AM
well to agree and argue... the point was to see how creative yall could get without fallin back on your living dead knowledge witch i noticed is hard for some. movies ive seen rarely mention "bad horror movies" in their little fictional world. i would say that i thought diary of the dead was a good example of this but on further thinking i decided against even bringin that into the conversation. of course i would prolly piss or crap myself when first runnin into a zombie in reality. but just the feelin of the thought of it (thank you mary jane and booze) scared the crap outta me. i dont know what thread it was but i mentioned to everyone that i thought that zombies were attackin my small village. i was drunk and high and on this very website at the time. i was outside listenin to emergency sirens the bigs they play during bad whether like in silent hill and sirens from ambulances and cop cars. i saw lights in the air signifying a helicopter. i heards moans.... dogs barkin... shots being fired... yeah i freaked out... i had big axe... enough said. dont mix the two and watch a zombie flick.... ive learned that