PDA

View Full Version : Movie review: Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (light spoilers)

Geophyrd
05-Jun-2008, 12:22 PM
Watched this movie last night and had a great time with it. When's the last time anyone was able to say that about a movie with Robert Englund in it?

The flick takes place in a world in which Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers are real and (in some places) admired for their killing sprees. Leslie Vernon is either a wannabee killer or a killer who's looking for some fame. He invites a film crew to come document his life, his friendships (including his now-retired mentor and his wife) and his plans for his next developing murder spree. All is not what it seems and there's some surprises as well as a great deal of the kind of tongue in cheek humor ("So would you say you're pro-life, Leslie?", "Mikey, Jay and Fred, those guys redefined it, turned it into an art') that I like.

The acting is good from the two leads, less so from some of the other players. In particular, Zelda "Everyone must cross over" Rubinstein provides a terrible performance that is almost distracting enough to have made me turn the movie off: her one scene, based on how the director keeps cutting away, I think they must have been feeding her lines one by one.

Englund is given a decent role, basically playing Donald Pleasance from Halloween and doing about as well as Pleasance did.

This is a very clever low budget movie, one that turns its shortcomings into assets and, tongue planted firmly in cheek, it entertains. Well worth catching on cable.

Purge
05-Jun-2008, 03:24 PM
I rented it from work (Netflix) and thought it was pretentious and goofy.