PDA

View Full Version : tech support halp/ service pack 2.

p2501
05-Jun-2008, 10:31 PM
question.

i'm installing service pack 2 (again.....) and during the install process i keep getting the following error message " setup cannot copy the file pintlgdx.imd".

it then goes on with "ensure that the location specified below is correct or change it to "windows Xp service pack 2 source files" in the drive you specify. "

i've no fraking idea what it wants me to do here.

help.

free Rum via fedex for anyone that can sort this one out

MaximusIncredulous
06-Jun-2008, 12:40 AM
Does the installer give you the option of skipping the installation of that file? Can't find much info on that file but it seems to be needed for opening up .chm help files.

Another cause is that maybe your copy of SP2 is corrupt. Try downloading it again or try an install of of SP3, that might work.

Is SP2 requiring the Windows setup disc during installation? If so, perhaps the CD is damaged.

Neil
06-Jun-2008, 08:14 AM
I've installed SP2 lots of times and never had an error.

If you can try again, maybe try doing it in safe mode?

p2501
07-Jun-2008, 12:16 AM
i think the error is something to do with the way windows updates is tyring to install it. i tried it again in safe mode and it was no joy. so i'm going to Dl a fresh copy and try it again in safe mode then see what happens.

i'm not sure what's causing the error,as i did i total system restore on my terminal then tried to install SP2 after the ususal MS updates. so i'm really at a loss here.

Neil
07-Jun-2008, 08:16 AM
question.

i'm installing service pack 2 (again.....) and during the install process i keep getting the following error message " setup cannot copy the file pintlgdx.imd".

it then goes on with "ensure that the location specified below is correct or change it to "windows Xp service pack 2 source files" in the drive you specify. "

i've no fraking idea what it wants me to do here.

help.

free Rum via fedex for anyone that can sort this one out

I did a google (before) and nothing came up for that error message, which was rather annoying...

MaximusIncredulous
07-Jun-2008, 03:15 PM
I did a google (before) and nothing came up for that error message, which was rather annoying...

Same here. Some message board threads came up for a similar problem in which the cause seemed to be memory or hard drive induced.

Here's the link for the full SP2 package:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

There's a warning on the page about not downloading the file if you are only going to update one computer but if you can't get Windows Update to get things working you might try copying the full package to a flash drive or CD and running the update from that.

Neil
07-Jun-2008, 04:09 PM
Same here. Some message board threads came up for a similar problem in which the cause seemed to be memory or hard drive induced.

Here's the link for the full SP2 package:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

There's a warning on the page about not downloading the file if you are only going to update one computer but if you can't get Windows Update to get things working you might try copying the full package to a flash drive or CD and running the update from that.

I've only ever once used Windows Update once to go to SP2. Every other time, I've used my SP2 file (which I downloaded).

p2501
07-Jun-2008, 06:02 PM
bingo on the googling that's why i came here. there's sweet FA out there about this type of install error. what i'm going to do is, i have full copies of SP2 and 3 that are on my flash drive. so i'l go in tomorrow morning and from safe mode try and install sp2.

if that fails i'll try 3 and then go from there.