PDA

View Full Version : 'On The Beach' - Apocalyptic film

Neil
06-Jun-2008, 11:01 AM
Bit overlong, and a bit clunky in places. But for a TV movie generally not too bad.

From an apolcalytic point of fiew done generally quite well, and very well in one or two areas!

*spoiler*

Dear God! I challenge anyone (especially parents) not to blub their f***ing souls out at the end of this one! I was an absolute mess at the end of the film!

wayzim
06-Jun-2008, 11:35 AM
Bit overlong, and a bit clunky in places. But for a TV movie generally not too bad.

From an apolcalytic point of fiew done generally quite well, and very well in one or two areas!

*spoiler*

Dear God! I challenge anyone (especially parents) not to blub their f***ing souls out at the end of this one! I was an absolute mess at the end of the film!

I was so big a fan of the original novel by Nevil Shute and the Stanley Kramer film with Gregory Peck, that when I heard there was to be a TV adaption, I was worried they would screw it up.
A plus for the 59 version was Fred Astaire's first dramatic turn as a cynical scientist.
Brilliant.
On The Beach 2000.
With a good cast, including Rachel Ward and Brian Brown, the worst I could say about it was that it brought pretty much nothing new to the drama of survivors of a nuclear war waiting for a lethal radioactive cloud to reach Australia. Good for those afraid of dated material.
Oddly enough, It was the same with George Clooney's production/remake of Fail Safe, of the outstanding Sidney Lumet 1964 film about a nuclear bomber group accidentally sent into Russia. Pretty much a literal remake.
Neil, keep it coming with the apocalypse films, I always did like those End of The World films.

Wayne Z

Neil
06-Jun-2008, 01:45 PM
I was so big a fan of the original novel by Nevil Shute and the Stanley Kramer film with Gregory Peck, that when I heard there was to be a TV adaption, I was worried they would screw it up.
A plus for the 59 version was Fred Astaire's first dramatic turn as a cynical scientist.
Brilliant.
On The Beach 2000.
With a good cast, including Rachel Ward and Brian Brown, the worst I could say about it was that it brought pretty much nothing new to the drama of survivors of a nuclear war waiting for a lethal radioactive cloud to reach Australia. Good for those afraid of dated material.
Oddly enough, It was the same with George Clooney's production/remake of Fail Safe, of the outstanding Sidney Lumet 1964 film about a nuclear bomber group accidentally sent into Russia. Pretty much a literal remake.
Neil, keep it coming with the apocalypse films, I always did like those End of The World films.

Wayne Z

The scene where they came across (nearly hit) the family stopped on the road, next to the cliff, was perfectly done! Very very moving!

ps: Rachel Ward can't act very well... But at least she acted a bit better than when she was next to Bryan Brown in the 'Thorn Birds'...

Kaos
06-Jun-2008, 05:12 PM

*spoiler*

*spoiler*

The family's last scene was rough, rough, rough to get through.

kidgloves
06-Jun-2008, 06:41 PM
Im glad you enjoyed it Neil :D
I stumbled across it one day and thought hell why not.
You're right, it does crawl in places but overall a very good tv movie.

I think im going to watch Quiet Earth tonight. Its been a few years so a refresher is in order.