PDA

View Full Version : 3CCD Cameras

S&Dproductions
14-Jun-2008, 01:53 AM
I've been checking prices on 3CCD chip cameras for a couple years and finaly i've found an affordable one.
It's the Panasonic PV-GS320. Broadway photo offers this camera for $257.00 out the door.

PV-GS320 Features:

-CCD Quantity 3

-Memory Still Resolution 3.1 Megapixels

-Optical Zoom 10x

-LCD Panel Size 2.7 in.

-Optical Zoom 10x

-Digital Still Shot Mode

-Remote control

-1 Year Warranty

The down side to this camera is that it has no mic output and no headphone input, so sound seperate is out. As this down side is a pain in the neck, the upside realy is the picture quality. This is the cheapest 3CCD chip camera I could find.
Anyone who has used this camera or owns one please feel free to give some reviews.

http://www.broadwayphoto.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ID=2319316&L=ShopCartUSA

Wahsleety
14-Jun-2008, 03:45 PM
However i would save up for the gs500, its a much better camera, with a focus ring, mic input, and a few other features well worth the extra money

Don't buy anything from that grey market scam place, the same company has a bunch of different names. check www.resellerratings.com before you order from that place, if you want a good camera with usa warranty, you have to pay for it. If the price looks too good to be true, it most likely is!

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jun-2008, 11:46 AM
Don't let people discourage you about Grey market. I bought my DVX100B Grey Market and the warranty was honored when the tape transport jammed on it. I paid $2000, for what should have been a $2700+ camera.

Now as far a broadway camera, stay away from NYC grey market retailers. I used Foto Spirit in Philadelphia, PA. The camera came, new in box, with accessories and the extra bells and whistles as described.

However, if you are going to get into making films, even shorts, stay away from any camera that can't at least do 30fps. Getting rid of interlacing is a bitch, try to save your cash and buy something like a DVX100 even used at $1300 is still better than $500 for a new low end consumer camera.

You want something that you can have full image control over and as I said something that at least does 30fps, but if you go DVX you get 24fps (Film speed), plus this is a good time to go HD. I have been considering going HD for about a month now although my newest film is shot in Standard Def, my next project will be HD all the way.

tkane18
24-Jun-2008, 06:20 PM
I have owned the previous model (GS-250) for a couple years now. It is almost exactly like the GS-320 in specs except my 250 does have a mic and headphone jacks. The video in good light is superb and low light is good even though the CCDs are only 1/6".

I believe there is a workaround to use headphones via the A/V port.
Check this site for info: http://www.pana3ccduser.com/.

I bought mine from B&H Photo Video for a good price. They are a very reputable company.
The GS-320 is currently listed for $329.95 with free shipping. It also includes a free DVD- Master-Works DVD: The JumpStart Guide to Shooting and Producing Better Videos.

Good Luck. :)

S&Dproductions
28-Jun-2008, 06:59 AM
Looked around and found out cheap isn't he best route. Thanks for the advice. I read a **** load of reviews about that place and am glad I haven't ordered yet. I've decided to go with B&H. Their prices are reasonable and my high school video productions teacher use to buy from them.

SymphonicX
28-Jun-2008, 08:05 AM
No one going for the Panasonic P2 cameras?

Only £700 ($1400) for a 16gb memory card!! Only 3k for the camera! Bonus! Records native DVCproHD media at anything from 720p to 1080/50.

Bargain if you ask me.

I love HD cameras but the cheaper ones are definitely cheap for a reason, most only do 720p output so regardless of the 3CCD chips, it's pretty poor for what it *could* be.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jul-2008, 01:31 PM
I am trying to stay away from P2 cameras, simply because the cards are way too frigging expensive. Canon does an HD camera that uses Tape, and to be honest with TAPED I have my raw footage all the time, with a P2 card, you have to keep writing over the card and if you have a hard drive crash you lose all your raw footage.

Sorry, if it ain't tape, I ain't buying it.

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2008, 06:31 PM
I too am a fan of tape. It's like that last resort is always there just in case something proper sh*tty happens, you know.

I can't be doing with all this HD stuff at the moment anyway, I really don't see the point ... especially when the DVX100B is so lush. :)

Wahsleety
25-Jul-2008, 04:44 PM
I just finished my first job with my new hvx200a, a rap video. The p2 cards are way to expensive that's for sure. However, if you have work and can afford it it's your best choice. Getting this camera is one of the best choices ive made. Although it was a pain after spending all of that money to have to purchase 195$ raylight plugin to edit the footage in vegas. This camera is the real deal. Now it would be quite expensive to purchase the p2 cards for shooting a feature length film, but still way cheaper then using 35mm. I already have 3 more possible music video jobs lined up after people seeing this one so it's just about paid for after that. These low budget video shoots are one day of shooting, so I'll just keep the footage on the p2 cards till the editing is finished.

SymphonicX
25-Jul-2008, 05:37 PM
yeah if you need stuff on tape then p2 isn't for you - but what we do here is archive the MXF files onto a portable 1TB drive and use that as our "tapes". As HDCAM tapes roughly go for $200 a pop, buying one or two p2 cards and reusing them by copying your footage somewhere else at the end of the day means it basically pays for itself after a few uses....still I do miss tape...I miss the security of it!

Oh and there is just no comparison between uncompressed SD and uncompressed HD....none at all...!