PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Connor Has Failed -- the British Just Built Skynet

Marie
15-Jun-2008, 07:54 PM
http://io9.com/5016092/sarah-connor-has-failed-++-the-british-just-built-skynet

With the launch of a new communications satellite, the British military has completed a highly advanced network that will allow robotic military units to be controlled at long range. Sound vaguely familiar? They actually named the thing Skynet. When the T-1000s come knocking, keep an eye out for the "Made in UK" sticker.

Skynet 5 is the latest iteration of a global communications system deployed by the British Armed Forces. The final satellite in the system was launched this week, and will allow high-bandwidth telecommunications between British forces located anywhere in the world. In addition to voice communications, it will allow data transfer and the remote control of robot airplanes, one of which is called "The Reaper." One of the manufacturers was quoted by BBC News as saying:

So, computers can talk directly to computers.

Are you terrified yet? It gets better. The system is actually privately owned and developed - the British Armed Forces are only promised a portion of the bandwidth as part of the contract. The one reassuring aspect is that the company is not called Cyberdyne.
Seriously, what the hell? Is it British humor to name something like this Skynet, or bureaucratic idiocy? Might as well get to work on the self-awareness chip and the "really angry at humans" algorithm.

Danny
15-Jun-2008, 07:57 PM
british humour, you know some rit soldier was just like "you know it'd be funny if-"

C5NOTLD
15-Jun-2008, 10:39 PM
Get worried when the Japanese company Cyberdine gets bought out by the British then Skynet and Cyberdine can join forces! Cyberdine is currently making exoskeletons - "According to Cyberdyne, the HAL allows someone who can normally lift 220 pounds on a leg press to hoist 396 pounds."

:stunned:
:lol:

EvilNed
15-Jun-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, I'm so afraid, because Terminator was such a realistic and plausible scenario.

Tricky
16-Jun-2008, 05:06 PM
:lol: i dont think we have anything to worry about

Exatreides
16-Jun-2008, 06:39 PM
to arms comrades! to arms!

SRP76
17-Jun-2008, 01:05 AM
People won't learn. You don't want to put computer networks in command of things.

Just look how many times your computer at home does something you don't want it to do. All it takes is one virus, one worm, one anything, and the whole system becomes a monkey ****ing a football. I really want military applications hinging on that...

dracenstein
17-Jun-2008, 06:11 AM
I bet that makes a few countries nervous!

Who wants to fight an army of robots?

I wonder if this will be referenced inThe Sarah Conners Chronicles? Not that I watch it.

Usumgal
17-Jun-2008, 12:33 PM
Hell this man is a genius to the point of stupidity. he is using his own DNA to conduct all sorts of experiments. he's created the first lab grown entirely artificial bacteria and even gotten cells to form blood vessels on their own. The whole time I'm askin hasnt this asshole seen a single zombie movie?!