View Full Version : stan winston, dead at 62...

Mike70
16-Jun-2008, 07:47 PM
this was on fangoria.com today:

June 16: RIP Stan Winston

Ain’t It Cool News has confirmed terrible news that we first heard earlier today: makeup and FX master Stan Winston died last night (apparently of cancer, according to other on-line sources, but details haven’t yet been reported). He was 62. Winston began his career in the 1970s, toiling on B-pictures like THE BAT PEOPLE, DR. BLACK, MR. HYDE and MANSION OF THE DOOMED, and more notably on TV productions such as GARGOYLES, THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MISS JANE PITTMAN (both of which won him Emmys) and ROOTS. He got the first of nine Oscar nominations for his robot creations in 1981’s HEARTBEEPS, but it was his work for director James Cameron on THE TERMINATOR that vaulted him into the big leagues, and in rapid succession he amassed major credits including Cameron’s ALIENS (his first Oscar win), John McTiernan’s PREDATOR, Tim Burton’s EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (both of those got him nominations) and Fred Dekker’s cult favorite THE MONSTER SQUAD. He made his directorial debut with 1988’s PUMPKINHEAD.

Winston was one of the most prominent FX artists of the 1990s, winning two more Academy Awards for Cameron’s TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY and Steven Spielberg’s JURASSIC PARK and nominations for Burton’s BATMAN FOREVER and Spielberg’s THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK and A.I.: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. (He was also the first person to accept a Fango Chainsaw Award for Best Makeup FX, for his T2 illusions.) Winston branched out into producing on such features as WRONG TURN, last year’s THE DEATHS OF IAN STONE and the CREATURE FEATURES series of AIP remakes for cable. And he served as mentor to numerous other makeup and creature creators, most notably Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr., who succeeded him on the later ALIEN features. Last year, his contributions to cinema were celebrated in the massive Titan Books tome THE WINSTON EFFECT: THE ART & HISTORY OF STAN WINSTON STUDIO, and the many facets of his career are also covered at www.stanwinston.com.

Winston received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2001 (pictured)—only the second FX artist to receive that honor. Most recently, he created the physical suits worn by Robert Downey Jr. in the title role of IRON MAN, and was encoring on TERMINATOR SALVATION: THE FUTURE BEGINS. Fango laments the passing of one of the genre’s greats. —Michael Gingold

EvilNed
16-Jun-2008, 07:50 PM
NOOOOO! :( :( :(

I loved that guy. He was so great and cheerful, and he seemed like a genuine fan of the projects he took part in. He wasn't pretentious. The guy liked big and creepy monsters.

Also, Batman Forever wasn't "Burton's".

Usumgal
16-Jun-2008, 10:56 PM
:eek:This makes me very sad as I was always a big fan of his. I had always hoped that one day he might do a zombie movie. can you imagine how awesome that would have looked?

I wonder who will do the FX on Terminator 4. I had heard somewhere he was doing it.

C5NOTLD
16-Jun-2008, 11:05 PM
Very sad news. He will be missed.

Skippy911sc
17-Jun-2008, 01:32 AM
MAN!!!

Famous people are dropping like flies!!!

First Tim Russert now this!!!

Its the end of times!!!

capncnut
17-Jun-2008, 05:31 AM
What a shame, only 62 as well. :(

dracenstein
17-Jun-2008, 06:05 AM
Sad news. I really enjoyed his work. He will be missed.