PDA

View Full Version : 'Wanted' - The more I see, the more it annoys me...

Neil
19-Jun-2008, 11:39 AM
Just looks like utter over-the-top ill-thought-out unbelievable eye candy...

Look at the third clip here - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/7-Clips-From-Wanted-9213.html

Sorry! :dead:

If they can do stuff life this then there are no rules (worth worrying about) in this film so the characters can do anything they like... So you have absolutely no concern for them or the events shown... What's the point then!

It's Charlies Angels 2 all over again!

Daft bollards!

Danny
19-Jun-2008, 12:31 PM
it looks like a comedy, like a bunch of suits asked a bunch of 9 year olds "what would be awesome?' and this is the result.

MinionZombie
19-Jun-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah but Wanted is based on a comic book, and it's supposed to be all that OTT action and bullet-curling stuff. That's the sort of movie it's supposed to be, it's not really angling to be in the real world, or whatever.

I'm definitely up for seeing it.

Wanted tells the story of one helpless drone's transformation into an avenger for justice.

Doesn't sound like a tough, gritty, kitchen-sinker does it? :p Ergo, point proven. :D

I mean, if you can watch the second clip, and think it's anything but 'out of this world', then you must be mad. I really don't understand your gripe with the movie, especially when you've not even seen it yet.

It also makes perfect sense that the Night/Day/Twilight Watch guy was picked to direct ... despite his views of internet-viewer-gullibility ... which was silly in itself, because surely people all over the world were fooled, or indeed not fooled, by the apparently movie-tie-in-advert-music-video-thing he did. Also, it was done fairly convincingly, and with a lot of real stuff going up on YouTube etc, it's not surprising that people think it could be real - and indeed, think it might not be, cos there's plenty of fakery going on too ... it's also ironic of him to say so, when he's out there making the sort of movies he makes. :lol:

Anyway, I'm definitely up for Wanted in the cinema, looks like a good flick for me and the lads to go check out as we wait ever patiently for The Dark Knight to rock our worlds.

Also - based on an already existing comic book - so it's not just a bunch of studio exec ideas tossed around like in those Orange adverts.

Wanted is a creator-owned comic book miniseries, consisting of six issues written by Mark Millar with art by J. G. Jones and published by Top Cow in 2003 and 2004 as part of Millarworld.[1] It features an amoral protagonist who discovers he is the heir to a career as a super-villainous assassin in a world where such villains have secretly taken control of the planet.

The series is adult in nature, similar to more grown-up 'super-hero' titles such as The Authority or The Ultimates. Like the Authority or the Squadron Supreme, several characters are based on DC Comics characters and super-villains (See below). The series also bears resemblance to the 1999 films Fight Club and The Matrix, as it is about a despondent man in an unfulfilling white-collar job who finds a new lease on life but becomes extremely violent and marked as outside of 'normal' society. It differs from these films in that the main character has no desire to improve the world through this violence, but only embraces it in the pursuit of selfish, egocentric pleasures.

The extent of the similarity between the film and the book remains to be seen, but geez, at least f*ckin' watch it before you start whining about it.

I really don't understand the gripe just about it being OTT.

If it ends up being sh*t, then it's sh*t - but you and I will have to see it to know for sure whether it is or isn't. Some films are clearly gonna be garbage from the start (Ghey08 for one), but it's not so clear-cut for many films ... but then again, if you've already made up your mind so strongly after a couple of clips, then what's the point.

Bah! Jaded juice all over the screen...:shifty:

Danny
19-Jun-2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah but Wanted is based on a comic book, and it's supposed to be all that OTT action and bullet-curling stuff. That's the sort of movie it's supposed to be, it's not really angling to be in the real world, or whatever.

I'm definitely up for seeing it.

*mz sits at his computer surrounded by the money he was paid to say that....so much money he had to be paid in tophats, monocles and cats!*

MinionZombie
19-Jun-2008, 04:36 PM
*mz sits at his computer surrounded by the money he was paid to say that....so much money he had to be paid in tophats, monocles and cats!*
First of all, I do have morals.

Second of all, I'm basically skint...nuff said.

:D

Neil
20-Jun-2008, 03:21 PM

Watch that third clip (I linked to) and tell me your brain isn't screaming for mercy... Rediculous contrived nonsense! :rockbrow:

MinionZombie
20-Jun-2008, 05:57 PM
Ridiculous contrived nonsense? Nope, that's not what that is.

What that is, is very OTT action that clearly isn't placed in any sort of real-world reality whatsoever.

What's wrong with that? That's such a rubbish reason to hate a movie you haven't seen yet.

You're fine with Orcs and hobbits and Gondor and an entire middle earth, but a nifty car 'stunt' set in an exceptionally unrealistic FANTASY world (when was it ever purporting to be based in reality?) you're not fine with?

:rolleyes:

Evidently this movie was never made for your odd taste in being picky about certain movies or elements. Go back to whinging about the jungle chase in Indy 4. :lol::D

Once again, I'll be off with the lads to check it out. :cool:

Neil
20-Jun-2008, 06:04 PM
What that is, is very OTT action that clearly isn't placed in any sort of real-world reality whatsoever.

What's wrong with that? That's such a rubbish reason to hate a movie you haven't seen yet.

Because it's rule-less... Anything can happen for any reason. There's no risk, no care... It's just stream of mindless pretty images with no value... Absolutely akin to the truck off the cliff scene in Indy IV!

Of course I might be wrong, and I'll wait till I see it to comment in full... But this to me is Charlies Angels 3 from what I've seen...

MinionZombie
20-Jun-2008, 06:17 PM
Comment in full? Sounds like your opinion is made up, mate. :lol:

What about The Matrix? Aye you could die in it, but I bet people die in Wanted too, and indeed the good guys no doubt get into scrapes.

What's wrong with having a bit of rule-less fun now and then? There's a huge difference between this and Charlie's-f*ckin'-Angels I'm sure...the lack of Mc-f*ckin'-G for one thing.

In The Matrix you had Neo f*ckin' flying, stopping bullets, seeing nothing but green gobbledygook text, getting logged into a computer via his spine so that he can learn Kung-Fu in seconds - thus giving an average bloke a far better chance in The Matrix itself - so I'm still baffled by your stubborn hatred of Wanted even when you haven't seen it...sheesh. :rolleyes:

You're proper judgemental. :D

Danny
20-Jun-2008, 06:20 PM
its because it looks like a 12 years old idea of a "bitchin' action movie", like when they used wire-fu in scary movie, its over the top to the point of satirical absurdity.

MinionZombie
20-Jun-2008, 06:27 PM
You two must be doing coke or something, you're making no sense.

So wire-fu in The Matrix is fine, but in Scary Movie - a SPOOF movie - it's not...and what's a spoof movie got to do with Wanted?

Also, the creator of the comic started coming up with these ideas when he was a kid.

I do resent this sheer volume of jadedness, Fast & the Furious is one of those teenage-pleasing "bitchin' action movies" that you speak so lowly of.

I really cannot understand the sheer hatred of Wanted - a movie neither of you have seen yet! :eek::confused::eek:

*bah!* weirdos...:shifty:

As I've said before, if I go and see it and it turns out sh*t - then I'll say as such. But I'm not going to call it garbage before I, or anybody, has seen it yet. :rolleyes:

And my continued hanging around in this thread is less to do with the movie, and more to do with you two being so intensely negative, and mindy-madey-uppy before seeing it.

And also, considering it's directed by Timur Bekmambetov, I'd really like to know what youze two thought of Night Watch and Day Watch...:rockbrow:...that latter of which had a car drive up the side of a building's glass front instead of just showing the occupant parking, getting out, going in a lift, and walking along a corridor to get to the meeting she was heading to.

*bah!*

Neil
20-Jun-2008, 07:16 PM
You two must be doing coke or something, you're making no sense.

So wire-fu in The Matrix is fine, but in Scary Movie - a SPOOF movie - it's not...and what's a spoof movie got to do with Wanted?

Also, the creator of the comic started coming up with these ideas when he was a kid.

I do resent this sheer volume of jadedness, Fast & the Furious is one of those teenage-pleasing "bitchin' action movies" that you speak so lowly of.

I really cannot understand the sheer hatred of Wanted - a movie neither of you have seen yet! :eek::confused::eek:

*bah!* weirdos...:shifty:

As I've said before, if I go and see it and it turns out sh*t - then I'll say as such. But I'm not going to call it garbage before I, or anybody, has seen it yet. :rolleyes:

And my continued hanging around in this thread is less to do with the movie, and more to do with you two being so intensely negative, and mindy-madey-uppy before seeing it.

And also, considering it's directed by Timur Bekmambetov, I'd really like to know what youze two thought of Night Watch and Day Watch...:rockbrow:...that latter of which had a car drive up the side of a building's glass front instead of just showing the occupant parking, getting out, going in a lift, and walking along a corridor to get to the meeting she was heading to.

*bah!*

The Matrix was a fantastic example of exactly what this film may not be. It's action and visuals bound around a plot and RULES befitting them. Things mattered because there were rules that governed things... It's explained and nothing too outrageous is done... They are 'bending the program'. They are able - within limits - to act within 'the program' rather than the rules/limits it pretend we live within.

Now, Wanted... When - supposedly in a real world (they're not in a computer program are they?) - somehow someone can perfectly judge the impact strength and momentum of one car against another, judging the Z axis roll given by this impact, the Y momentum produced, and manage then to do so - somehow between two independantly driven vehicle - to throw one car perfectly over another such that sun roofs line up....blah blah... It's of course absolutely unbeliavable utter rediculous over the top bollards...

There is absolutely NO WAY this scene could EVER happen in any way at all! Yet it's acceptable? Fair enough... It looks pretty, and the net effect is that it is just disposable action where nothing other than the visuals matter.

Is this an issue? Nah... Is it a waste... Yah! Instead of 'The Matrix' we're getting (potentially) Charlies Angels 3...

Now, hopefully I'm totally and utterly wrong! And the scene I'm talking about is the same as the stupid car jump scene in 'The Transporter 2', which although was a bad moment in the film, managed to claw back up to a reasonablish level.

My concern is all the action scenes I see from Wanted look this unbelievable and contrived...

I like hellsing's comment - it looks like a comedy, like a bunch of suits asked a bunch of 9 year olds "what would be awesome?' and this is the result.

AcesandEights
20-Jun-2008, 07:48 PM
Absolutely akin to the truck off the cliff scene in Indy IV!

Lucaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!:mad:

Oh, sorry...a little knee-jerk reaction, there. Anywho, I agree with MZ. OTT action set in a comic book milieu, in which the whole shtick of the film has to do with 'bending' the rules, is not any sort of deal breaker for me.

Neil, you say there's no rules to this film, but your candor smacks of assumptions. :(

Neil
20-Jun-2008, 07:52 PM
Neil, you say there's no rules to this film, but your candor smacks of assumptions. :(

Absolutely... And I've said that I may well be wrong... But every clip I see suggests the only rules were what dictated nice special effects. Serious, that car doing a flip over another is utter unforgivable bollards...

Hopefully I am wrong!! Seriously! The visuals look glorious, so it would be nice if there was some point to them!

AcesandEights
20-Jun-2008, 07:54 PM
As long as we can both agree that Lucas sucks :D

clanglee
24-Jun-2008, 03:41 AM
But every action movie creates its own "rule sets" You have reality based action, You have silly action, you have fantasy action, etc. In the world that this movie sets up, these people have these special abilities, which allow them to perform these sorts of actions. What's so difficult about that?

I, personally, hated the second two Matrix movies by the way. The whole series seemed to me to be written by a 12 year old.

SRP76
24-Jun-2008, 04:00 AM
You have silly action,

...and then you have just-plain-silly. Which is what this movie seems to be. Just a collection of effects, for people to stare at the screen with a glazed look in their eyes, murmuring "coooooooooooool*gurgle*".

But then, it's not like that's anything new.

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 04:21 AM
no, it is just taking it to a higher level of piss-take'dom.

MoonSylver
24-Jun-2008, 07:09 AM
Now, Wanted... When - supposedly in a real world (they're not in a computer program are they?) - somehow someone can perfectly judge the impact strength and momentum of one car against another, judging the Z axis roll given by this impact, the Y momentum produced, and manage then to do so - somehow between two independantly driven vehicle - to throw one car perfectly over another such that sun roofs line up....blah blah... It's of course absolutely unbeliavable utter rediculous over the top bollards...

I've gotten the impression from the promos that they have some kind of reality-bending abilities, such as when he curves the bullet, shooting directly at Angelina Jolie & causing the bullet to curve around her & strike the target behind.

You seem to be making the assumption that this is set in a "Rambo/Lethal Weapon/Die Hard" state of reality (which aren't very real, but I digress...)
but I don't believe that's the case.

Not to say the movie still might not suck, it still might be just cool effect for their own sake, but at least I do believe there is a "plausible" explanation for them.

DeadJonas190
24-Jun-2008, 07:28 AM
It's actually based of a really good comic, but it looks like they Hollywoodized it for the masses.

Anyway, since it is based off of a comic book and not anything in the real world and it is just a movie (something I think may be missed when complaining about it) I have to wonder why it is so unbelievable that things that can't happen in real life can happen in this comic book based movie.

Because we all know that the dead walking around and eating the living is realistic...

Just making a point.

Neil
24-Jun-2008, 07:54 AM
It's actually based of a really good comic, but it looks like they Hollywoodized it for the masses.

Anyway, since it is based off of a comic book and not anything in the real world and it is just a movie (something I think may be missed when complaining about it) I have to wonder why it is so unbelievable that things that can't happen in real life can happen in this comic book based movie.

Because we all know that the dead walking around and eating the living is realistic...

Just making a point.

OK... Let's stick with zombie movies for a second. Why is the Day remake getting slated? One reason is the 'rules - Zombies screaming like godzilla? Zombies climbing up walls etc? The 'rules' are not consistant or fair to the audience.

IMHO, a film needs a good consistant set of rules so the audience can 'trust' what their watching, and therefore believe in what they're seeing.

If the 'rules' are not fair, or are completely unrealistic, or the characters behave in an outlandish/unbelievable way, then people will not believe what they're seeing on the screen and therefore not care.

What makes Romero's zombie films so good? The rules are simple (all you have to do is accept the dead are rising for some reason) and generally the characters behave in pretty believable ways! You therefore have far more belief in what you're watching, so hopefully you care more!

From what I've seen of Wanted so far, it seems there is absolutely no explanation of how they can smash two cars into each other so as to lauch one perfectly through the air, spinning it through exactly 180 degrees before it lands... If the 'rules' suggested they had some telekinesis or something, then I'd be more willing to believe it. But it seems that is not the case... Instead they can just do this $hit, and the audience just has to accept it.

If the 'rules' are this redulous then the audience is expected to believe anything can happen, so why invest any care in what they see on the screen. It's all a cheat...

HOPEFULLY! I'm utterly wrong about Wanted. And infact it works well...

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 10:54 AM

Just making a point.

well the problem is it would be like bub in day punching his fist at the sky, being struck by lightning and when the smoke clears hes got a massive blonde perm and is playing a rock guitar solo on the hood of a cadillac, surrounded by naked women and fireworks, and the humans are still just as afraid.

MinionZombie
24-Jun-2008, 11:08 AM

Just making a point.

Well said Jonas, you can't argue with that.

Also, Ghey08 is considered a sh*t movie, because it's a sh*t movie - full stop.

While yes, some 'rules' of the genre (or common themes in good zombie films anyway) are broken, there aren't many rules to just action in general - which is so wide open it's like a ten dollar whore's legs after chucking out time.

There might be common themes in action films - i.e. fast cars, guns everywhere, huge explosions - but beyond that, you don't really have any rules.

And likewise, one film's set of rules doesn't necessarily translate to other films within the same genre.

Dumb & Dumber and Ghostbusters are both comedies ... but they're totally different. One has two idiots in it, the other has ghosts and slimer and a giant walking Sta-Puft geezer walking around.

I'm sure if you two took your notions of "real world rules" that seem to be so picky, and applied them to a whole range of movies, particularly your favourites, those films would then be completely ruined because of such a view.

I mean Ghostbusters 2, not as good as 1, but still awesome - they spray pink jizz all over the Statue of Liberty, plug a Nintendo joypad into it, and then walk it through New York - now in reality that structure cannot walk, it is physically impossible, it's not even constructed for that to be possible - but it happens in GB2.

"Oh that's a supernatural movie..." you might say, and indeed it is - ergo - it's not based in the real world, like many, many, many, many movies, it is based in a fantasy world.

Likewise, Wanted is based in a fantasy world where it's possible to curve the trajectory of a bullet just by flinging the gun a bit when you're firing.

This theory of yours about a movie you've never seen doesn't hold up.

*sigh* :rockbrow:

Neil
24-Jun-2008, 11:21 AM
Likewise, Wanted is based in a fantasy world where it's possible to curve the trajectory of a bullet just by flinging the gun a bit when you're firing.

This theory of yours about a movie you've never seen doesn't hold up.

*sigh* :rockbrow:

Maybe... Maybe not...

It's all about the fine line of tangability, and general writing... In the scenes I've seen thus far from Wanted:-

1) Hero is in a mall, with some shifty looking guy watching him. Angelina turns up as some eye candy for a minute before shifty guy decides to open fire... Missing every one. Why didn't shifty guy walk up to hero 5 minute earlier and shoot him in the back of the head? Why wait for eye-candy to turn up?

2) Baddy gives chase, somehow keeping up with 400HP of Viper in a delivery truck? Obviously this film obeys the same Hollywood laws of physics that suggest baddy cars can keep up with 500+HP performance motor bikes, but let's go with it.... Baddy cannot shoot heros at all... BUT CAN, under the craziest of condition, manage to bend bullets around a corner to take out their tires when needed...

3) The bending the bullet joke... All bullets are spinning due to riffling. Spinning them more makes them fly MORE straight... But it's a minor annoyance, and doesn't rate highly on my daft'dar to be honest...

4) The car crash one is the thing that has written the film off for me - until I hear/learn otherwise. It's just so outlandishly unbelievable that quite simply it means ANYTHING can happen. Maybe the next stunt involves riding on a scate board and jumping onto a low flying aircraft's wing, before jumping off into a roof top... THAT is actually MORE believable than the bollox we saw with the two cars crashing into each other to make one of them jump... Seriously...

AGAIN! Hopefully I'm utterly wrong about the film... Let's wait and see... But I can't be doing with this lazy bollox writing for the sake of contrived unbelievable CGI effects purely for the sake of a CGI effect... Without believability or reasonable rules, it's utterly worthless/soulless...

MinionZombie
24-Jun-2008, 11:29 AM
:annoyed:

*clatters noggin against brick wall lined with nails*

You should be part of the Labour front bench, at this rate! :eek:

So you're fine with someone curving the trajectory of a bullet, so it flies directly at someone's head, then curves around them, and then nails the person behind, just by flicking your arm a bit when firing - that you're fine with, which was my point, not that a bullet spins in the air - did I mention that? No, what I did mention was a bullet leaving it's direct trajectory and curving around someone to shoot some behind them - and how you're fine with that, but not a car doing a fun flip.

You're full of holes, Neil! Don't go in the water! :D

Neil
24-Jun-2008, 12:28 PM
:annoyed:

*clatters noggin against brick wall lined with nails*

You should be part of the Labour front bench, at this rate! :eek:

So you're fine with someone curving the trajectory of a bullet, so it flies directly at someone's head, then curves around them, and then nails the person behind, just by flicking your arm a bit when firing - that you're fine with, which was my point, not that a bullet spins in the air - did I mention that? No, what I did mention was a bullet leaving it's direct trajectory and curving around someone to shoot some behind them - and how you're fine with that, but not a car doing a fun flip.

You're full of holes, Neil! Don't go in the water! :D

I'm not fine with it, but - as I said - it's lower on my daft'dar. If they explained it with some special gun/bullet gizmo that somehow gives them a curved path, I could go with it - They've defined a rule, and as long as it's pretty consistant I'll go with it...

It's about suspense of disbelief - Does the film work well enough to make you accept what you're seeing is acceptable/believable? Do the rules basically work and play fair?

But the two cars crashing into each other, to launch one perfectly over another vehicle, at just the right speed and with a perfect Z-axis rotation... Hmmm... Had they sat down for months before and tested this? Did they know the structual integrity of the cars involved and the angular momentum required for the desired effect? Blah blah blah... Too many ifs buts and general stupidness required in that example, hence my issue with that specific example...

Seriously, how is the car jumping scene any more plausible and less silly than my suggestion of someone skateboarding onto a jet plane's wing, and then jumping from that onto a roof top. Infact, it's less plausible and more daft...

But, again, I'll happily wait to see and find out more about it, and hopefully I will be proved wrong, and its not just a bunch of stupid worthless action scenes hanging on a daft, limp, mindless script...

bassman
24-Jun-2008, 12:52 PM
*sticks head through the door* Did somebody say Ghostbusters??

Seriously though....obviously Wanted isn't for everyone. Although I think everyone can agree that it's not going to be the next Ben Hur or Citizen Kane. It is what it is.

Neil
24-Jun-2008, 01:05 PM
It is what it is.*puts hand up excitedly* "Is it Charlies Angels 3 sir? Is it??"

bassman
24-Jun-2008, 01:09 PM
*puts hand up excitedly* "Is it Charlies Angels 3 sir? Is it??"

No. Wanted has Morgan Freeman so that instantly sets it a notch above the Charlies Angels films. Even as outlandish as Wanted looks....I still don't think it can reach the levels of crap that the Charlies Angels films maintain(and the director of those films is directing the new Terminator.:annoyed:).

Neil
24-Jun-2008, 01:54 PM
No. Wanted has Morgan Freeman so that instantly sets it a notch above the Charlies Angels films.

You'd hope so!

Even as outlandish as Wanted looks....I still don't think it can reach the levels of crap that the Charlies Angels films maintain.

The thing is Wanted looks more outlandish, more unbelievable and therefore potentially just more daft...

Anyway, I've harked on enough... Let's just wait and see me be proved utterly wrong :)

MoonSylver
25-Jun-2008, 12:58 AM
From what I've seen of Wanted so far, it seems there is absolutely no explanation of how they can smash two cars into each other so as to lauch one perfectly through the air, spinning it through exactly 180 degrees before it lands... If the 'rules' suggested they had some telekinesis or something, then I'd be more willing to believe it. But it seems that is not the case... Instead they can just do this $hit, and the audience just has to accept it.

Errmm...I DID mention that from what i gather there IS something to that effect going on. The "Bend the bullet" scene where they establish that he can bend the trajectory of a bullet while in flight around someone to strike a target behind them.

I don't know why I'm working so hard to defend a movie that I really don't care THAT much about...:annoyed:

CoinReturn
25-Jun-2008, 01:52 AM
81% at RottenTomatoes.

17 Positive
4 Negative

A few quotes:

The action genre hasn't felt this fresh and alive since 1999 and the Wachowskis.

Possesses a 'wow' factor that will make it one of the summer's biggest hits...an unabashed testosterone-adrenaline cocktail spiced up with a dollop of torture-porn bloodlust.

This is a film that I didn't expect to like, and very slowly, it started to grow on me. By the action packed finale, I was cheering out loud!

Wanted is bull****, but it's inventive bull**** - and that is what makes it different from about 95% of all the other, more generic action movies out there!

clanglee
25-Jun-2008, 05:30 AM
Neil, I've figured it out. You're getting old. :D

Seriously tho, that inner child is just being crushed by useless analysism and logic. Go watch some old Thundar or GIJoe and reintrouduce yourself to your inner pre-teen. Turn the brain off every once in a while man. :cool:

Neil
25-Jun-2008, 07:48 AM
81% at RottenTomatoes.

17 Positive
4 Negative

A few quotes:

Hey! Maybe I'm wrong... Hopefully I am...

But some people also liked Charlies Angels 2! ie: The kids who don't really need a plot/script and are happy with some nice big stunts and a suggestion of naked women...

I'd love to find out how I'm wrong about a film which appears to be just a string of rediculous utterly overblown, unbelievable stages stunts for the sake of staged stunts, with little or no care for believability. Oh I forgot, Angelina holds a gun - Which appears to be enough for oscar material for some folks :rockbrow:

I'll be more than happy to admit I'm wrong and go and see it, this being the case :)

CoinReturn
25-Jun-2008, 05:01 PM
Good reviews keep pouring in, it's now at 85% at RottenTomatoes, 22 positive, 4 negative. I thought this movie looked like utter **** when I first saw previews, looks like I was wrong:

an eye-goggling, grin-inducing, thought-provoking hybrid of the SF and superhero genres that, unusually, aims its guns directly at an adult audience, while deftly outshooting all the competition.

McAvoy crashes the A-list, Jolie finally gets to be as big a star on screen as she has been in print, and Bekmambetov proves the most exciting action-oriented emigré since John Woo.

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2008, 05:44 PM
Yahoo Movie Reviews and some other critics gave it really good reviews, they said the OTT action and obvious bending of reality rules worked well in the flick and made it a fun "blow you out of your seat action ride."

Neil
26-Jun-2008, 08:10 AM
Yahoo Movie Reviews and some other critics gave it really good reviews, they said the OTT action and obvious bending of reality rules worked well in the flick and made it a fun "blow you out of your seat action ride."

Hopefully I'm wrong then... :)

MinionZombie
26-Jun-2008, 09:54 AM
I hope so, that'll put a stop to your whinging. :D

Also, me and the lads are going to check it out on Sunday, as always I'll pimp my thoughts on it afterwards.

Neil
26-Jun-2008, 10:27 AM
Also, me and the lads are going to check it out on Sunday, as always I'll pimp my thoughts on it afterwards.

Please do :)

A not so positive review - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37249

Interesting they highlight the scene that has annoyed me so much - The stupid car jump scene...

Harry Knowles liked it though - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37251

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2008, 06:36 PM
I'll pimp my proper thoughts on it later, but simply put, I dug it.

I'd say 3.5 stars out of 5 is a fair mark.

At times it was a little, how shall I put it, I wasn't necessarily gripped to my chair, so at times it might be a tad soul-less or heartless, for lack of a better way of putting it ... like at times it's missing a smidge bit more something to just fill out the experience.

That said, I totally dug it. It was entertaining, it was action packed, and they can do those fancy moves cos they all have a special ability to race their heart up to something like 400 beats per minute and achieve a sort of slow motion sense of things.

The movie has it's own set of rules and it's own reality, like the bullet curving is down to instinct rather than anything else - so in other words, it's down to their innate special skill to do it - them being the few in the world who can.

Definitely good for the lads to go and see it.

Also, suggesting it's just some 12 yr old jizz fest is retarded ... it's rated 18. :p

Oh and Jolie gets her arse out at one point ... wibbly wobbly, wibble ... no minge ... certificate 18 ... wobble!

Three and a HALF, wibbly eggs ... wib-wib!

(Bo' Selecta! reference there fer ya...)

Anyway, I'll pimp my thoughts later...even though I ended up writing a fair bit.

Neil
29-Jun-2008, 07:10 PM
Sorry, "Jolie gets her arse out at one point", brings me back to "Charlies Angels 3" again... Silly nonsense like that = cheap tricks in my opinion... ie: Does it server a purpose? Other than to titillate cheaply?

Thanks for the review, I'll wait till DVD - I'll be more forgiving then...

Neil
29-Jun-2008, 07:10 PM
Sorry, "Jolie gets her arse out at one point", brings me back to "Charlies Angels 3" again... Silly nonsense like that = cheap tricks in my opinion... ie: Does it server a purpose? Other than to titillate cheaply?

Thanks for the review, I'll wait till DVD - I'll be more forgiving then...

Deadman_Deluxe
29-Jun-2008, 07:46 PM
Also, suggesting it's just some 12 yr old jizz fest is retarded ... it's rated 18. :p

Hahaha good call!

Also a good call on the johhny "wibble wobble" woss!

Neil
29-Jun-2008, 07:50 PM
Also a good call on the johhny "wibble wobble" woss!
Huh? Did I miss something? Didn't see/get that?

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2008, 10:06 AM
Huh? Did I miss something? Didn't see/get that?
Like I said in my post, it's a reference to "Bo' Selecta!", where they did their version of Ross, and he just said "wibble wob wob, wobble" gibberish interspersed with a few actual words, then he'd score a movie out of "five wibbly eggs", and would usually give half an egg, just so he could smash an egg into the egg cup. :D

He'd also say something like "wandy boom wandy, wibbly-wob-wob, certificate PG ... no minge ... wobble!" ... trust, it was funny. :)

I put the Jolie remark in as a joke, Neil. She does get her arse out at one point, but it's cos she's in this bath thingy they have at the assassin HQ gaff, it's got some kind of waxy gunk in it that helps heal wounds faster, she's in there (unbeknownst to James McAvoy and the Russian geezer out of Night/Day Watch) and she slips out and walks off.

But to further dampen your ire, there's a surprising LACK of Jolie lingering, she never gets perved on and is always dressed - except for that one brief 3 second shot of her arse as she gets out of the healing pool.

Believe me - it's not Cameron Diaz et al dancing around in their pants. So shut ya face! :D

A proper review from moi is pending...:)

Neil
30-Jun-2008, 10:12 AM
Like I said in my post, it's a reference to "Bo' Selecta!", where they did their version of Ross, and he just said "wibble wob wob, wobble" gibberish interspersed with a few actual words, then he'd score a movie out of "five wibbly eggs", and would usually give half an egg, just so he could smash an egg into the egg cup. :D

He'd also say something like "wandy boom wandy, wibbly-wob-wob, certificate PG ... no minge ... wobble!" ... trust, it was funny. :)

I put the Jolie remark in as a joke, Neil. She does get her arse out at one point, but it's cos she's in this bath thingy they have at the assassin HQ gaff, it's got some kind of waxy gunk in it that helps heal wounds faster, she's in there (unbeknownst to James McAvoy and the Russian geezer out of Night/Day Watch) and she slips out and walks off.

But to further dampen your ire, there's a surprising LACK of Jolie lingering, she never gets perved on and is always dressed - except for that one brief 3 second shot of her arse as she gets out of the healing pool.

Believe me - it's not Cameron Diaz et al dancing around in their pants. So shut ya face! :D

A proper review from moi is pending...:)

The reviews seem generally +ve... My opinion is improving... I expect by the time this comes to DVD I'll probably really enjoy it :)

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2008, 10:20 AM
The reviews seem generally +ve... My opinion is improving... I expect by the time this comes to DVD I'll probably really enjoy it :)
Well I bloody well hope so, after all the effort I've put into this thread! :)

Neil
30-Jun-2008, 10:40 AM
Well I bloody well hope so, after all the effort I've put into this thread! :)

LOL!!

Danny
30-Jun-2008, 02:21 PM
Got a free ticket to it from the cinema today for going in for a job interview.

So you better not let me down morgan freeman!

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2008, 07:53 PM
So you better not let me down morgan freeman!

He says "motherf*cker" ... and it's f*cking hilarious. :p

Well...me and the lads thought so. Otherwise, standard Morgan Freeman stylings.

MoonSylver
01-Jul-2008, 07:19 AM
He says "motherf*cker" ... and it's f*cking hilarious. :p

Well...me and the lads thought so. Otherwise, standard Morgan Freeman stylings.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-2BzLf2jwIM&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-2BzLf2jwIM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:D

bassman
02-Jul-2008, 04:11 PM
Hasn't Morgan Freeman said "f*ck" in several of his films? I think in one of his first few lines in Shawshank Redemption he says it, actually...

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2008, 05:40 PM
Hasn't Morgan Freeman said "f*ck" in several of his films? I think in one of his first few lines in Shawshank Redemption he says it, actually...
Yeah, but he's not really known for swearing, so when he says "motherf*cker" in Wanted, me and lads just had to chuckle.

It's like your mum swearing ... it's just odd, but in a fun way. :lol:

AcesandEights
05-Jul-2008, 08:30 PM
I saw this last night and thought it was great fun. Out of the four of us that saw the film, one thought it was 'alright' and three thought it was great.