PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to find a resolution to the series?

Mikey
21-Jun-2008, 01:35 PM
My question is, should George make one more film and put an end to the Dead series? Should George write a film that will stop the plague and end what has been going on? I ask this because I believe in the original Day script, it was the end because the corpse they were guarding every day did not reanimate.

After watching Diary, and being horribly disappointed -- though I would say disappointed would be stating it lightly -- I think it might be time for George to hang up the series and try to go out on a bang. That means, write and ending to the series and have the phenomena stop.

This is the only thing that would get the bad taste of Diarrhea of the Dead out of my mouth and end the series for once and for all.

Redman6565
21-Jun-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure what to think. I agree Diary was a really bad movie. I would like to see why the dead are all getting up and trying to eat the living. I loved the version GAR did of Day. I think that was a really good movie. It showed the end of the world and threw in the science of trying to cope with what was going on. The idea of starting the human race was a cool idea hinted at in this movie. This movie felt like the story of Noah. It had a real Biblical feel to it.

Has GAR even mentioned what the caused the zombie out break? I know in the movies there have been speculations but never a clear reason. I like the movies 28 Days/Weeks and I also like that in Dawn '04 you have to be bitten to turn. All these movies seem to have the theme that science created the problem. I'd like GAR to deal with the reason behind his dead world. Maybe an ending would be a good thing for GAR to do.

Zombie Snack
21-Jun-2008, 03:23 PM
It would be great if GAR could do a great epic"final" in the series, progress the phenomena to the very end...to show his vision of the vast wasteland and ruins that became of the world. To show how an understanding of what was happening or a "cure" was discovered. His vision of what brings it all to and end. To show the many struggles and utter chaos that would ensue for those who suurvived the entire series of events...If GAR could hit one more out of the ball park with an epic story that ties up all the loose strings. Maybe lay off the ultra heavy political commentary and just tell the story GAR..

Neil
21-Jun-2008, 05:43 PM
I would like to see why the dead are all getting up and trying to eat the living

I really wouldn't... Loved in Day of the Dead he played it perfectly between scientific and religious reasons... Great stuff!

Legion2213
21-Jun-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm with neil on this, I don't need to know why or how these monsters are getting up and eating folks, I don't really wish to see a cure either.

I think that the WWZ ending is the best way of "wraping it up"...they never find a cure, but they do eventually get the situation under control once the panic and mass killings have stopped.

Dead Hoosier
21-Jun-2008, 09:12 PM
I guess GAR should be given one last chance. He hasn't made a great movie in 23 years, and Land (horrible) and Diary (slightly better) have created a level of bashing recently reseved for George Lucas or Ted Turner.
I hate to say it, but it's probably over for him. He clearly has no idea how to write dialogue, and I don't think a silent movie is going to sell.

SRP76
21-Jun-2008, 10:20 PM
I think that the WWZ ending is the best way of "wraping it up"...they never find a cure, but they do eventually get the situation under control once the panic and mass killings have stopped.

Can't do it that way. In WWZ, zombies are just "virus infected". In Romero's world, everyone that croaks gets back up. There'd always be way too many zombies getting back up in Romero's world; they wouldn't be able to just cap infrequent cases like in WWZ.

dracenstein
21-Jun-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't need a resolution to the series.

I am perfectly happy with no explanation of the dead coming back, and that it continues to happen.

Humanity, if they survive in large enough communes, will have to learn with it, or be destroyed.

SRP76
22-Jun-2008, 01:31 AM
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to an "end" to the whole thing. I know doom and gloom is popular, but I don't care. Leaving the whole thing as "all heroes wind up either being eaten alive, or shot in the head. That is all. Until the end of time." absolutely sucks, in my view.

Yojimbo
22-Jun-2008, 01:41 AM
I am one of those, possibly in the minority, that liked Diary. In this regard, my response comes from a frame of mind that does not feel that Romero's ability to effectively convey his vision is fading.

These days there are so many zombie films, some good and some not so good, but all of them without fail share a singular thing in common: they all owe a great debt to Romero since it was his vision that created this particular genre of horror film.

One of the elements that make Romero's zombie genre unique is that there is no explanation for the dead coming back to life. One of the other elements that I have thought to be great is that in the Romero zombie world there is no end in sight for the conflict. This has left a canvas of sorts for other filmakers to come along and slop their own brand of paint on - they are free to interpret the genre in any way they see fit.

So here is my response to the idea that Romero should explain why the dead are coming back to life and should put forth a final film that definitively ends the zombie universe: Hell no.

Redman6565
22-Jun-2008, 03:02 AM
I say mankind comes to an end. Extinct. Game over. The world was here for a few billon years before us and I'd imagine it will be here long after we are gone. Kill'em all. :evil:

hadrian0117
22-Jun-2008, 09:10 PM
Can't do it that way. In WWZ, zombies are just "virus infected". In Romero's world, everyone that croaks gets back up. There'd always be way too many zombies getting back up in Romero's world; they wouldn't be able to just cap infrequent cases like in WWZ.

True, but humanity could adapt to that. I imagine life would resemble Fido, but without zombie slaves and retro 50s fashions. Small, fortified towns, everyone armed, the elderly (& terminally ill) confined to prison-like nursing homes. I doubt many people would be willing to sleep in the same room, let alone the same bed. I guess you could put the bed in a cage and lock yourself in at night.

Legion2213
22-Jun-2008, 09:11 PM

Are you sure? I'm gonna have to read this again, I thought it was everybody who dies gets back up again, same rules as GARs universe.

Still, no hardship, I recently DL'd the audiobook, will listen to it this week.

Neil
22-Jun-2008, 09:23 PM
Are you sure? I'm gonna have to read this again, I thought it was everybody who dies gets back up again, same rules as GARs universe.

Still, no hardship, I recently DL'd the audiobook, will listen to it this week.

Don't believe so... Only those that get killed by the dead get back up again I believe in WWZ!!?

Danny
22-Jun-2008, 09:34 PM
well i would like to see that film thats final arc was something like a fort type situation and the dead finally stop appearing, they wait...and wait...and- then someone inside dies form the cold, lets say this is set in winter, and they dont get back up, they wait, and they just dont get up, then finally a few weeks later a caravan or something with some people shows up and more and more....
something upbeat, ive gotten so sick of people saying there sick of upbeat endings and ending it ambiguously or badly that i need some films that go full circle and have a happyish ending again yknow?

dracenstein
22-Jun-2008, 10:26 PM
And then we start killing each other for a beer or a girl.

I believe in the bad in the man will shine through.

Mikey
22-Jun-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree with most of you that the series should end. I also think George wouldn't have to give an explanation as to why it started or why it is happening, but maybe try and focus on something or tangents that could be. Offer a religious explanation, offer a scientific one, offer a human or extraterrestrial reason, but you don't have to pick one over the other. Just put it out there and let the audience decide. I also really liked the idea of George NOT explaining why, but I do like it when he offers up some possible explanations without picking one for sure.

Then, have EVERYONE in the world die, or have stop having dead people waking up and end the series on a a good note.

sandrock74
23-Jun-2008, 02:33 AM
Part of the horror was in not knowing what caused the dead to rise and eat the living. If you don't understand a situation, you have no hope of combating it effectively. The "origins" of the zombies should never be explicitly revealed.

Should Romero wrap up the series? I dunno. I want to say yes and I want to say no. Maybe he should, just to move onto other things and give us all more to bitch about. I don't even know if I would like a "happy" or "depressing" ending to it all or not. A "happy ending" may seem to out of place or forced.

It would be cool to see someone from one of the other films agian. Nice to know that someone survived for certain!

bassman
23-Jun-2008, 12:38 PM
No....I wouldn't really want resolution to the problem.

And imo, the films aren't connected so technically there's been an ending with all of them. Some good for the characters, some not so good. Night really being the only one hinting at the problem coming to a close.

jim102016
23-Jun-2008, 03:59 PM
No, I don't agree with an explanation as to why the dead walk. Not knowing only added to each story. Since we've never agreed on whether or not the movies are connected in the same universe, a single concluding movie would not cover all the bases. I just want to see one more good movie about the living dead from GAR. Something like he used to make, more on par with Day and Dawn, with a social commentary that's not so loud.

DubiousComforts
24-Jun-2008, 04:42 AM
The "series" will end exactly the way it should: when the old guy is no longer able to direct movies because he has passed on. Until then, as long as he has something to say, I'll be happy to watch. And if you're not happy to watch, then don't.

Wyldwraith
30-Jun-2008, 05:18 AM
I'll weigh in,
A previous poster mentioned something about the not knowing why the dead are rising adds to the horror, because not understanding a situation means you don't have a chance of effectively combating it.

I agree with the first part. The not knowing/have no definitive explanation between the various possibilities adds to the creep factor IMO. I think that's a separate issue from combating the zombie plague though. One doesn't need to understand why the dead rise to grasp the method of what's going on, and then reasoning out a way to respond effectively.

I'm of the opinion that when threatened with *imminent* extinction that man can/may find the will to take whatever drastic steps are called for to end the threat. I've never been able to believe in an extinction scenario brought on by the living dead. Utter desolation sure, but man has adapted to some pretty hellish extremes in his time on Earth. To wipe him out completely I think you need a situation that deprives all his members of the basics required for survival. Food, water, shelter, means of defense etc.

Now whether or not any of us in the comfy first world could do anything but vomit upon seeing the world left in the wake of a war with the living dead is another matter.

As someone else said, I'm getting a little tired myself of the lack of quality survival horror that depicts an intelligent and effective response to the threat. Just look at many Holocaust survivors. Many of them remained cautious, careful and thoughtful with their safety for the rest of their lives. I think a mankind facing such an imminent threat *every day* has the potential to become a lot more vigilant and determined to survive than we give ourselves credit for.

We're still the same creature that burned Australia to the ground to destroy the giant river lizards. Still the same animal that competed with the smilodon and the cave bear for dominance. We've survived multiple Ice Ages. Maybe all that's buried under a layer of flabby avarice and sensation-seeking, but its still there.

Just my opinion..

I'll weigh in,
A previous poster mentioned something about the not knowing why the dead are rising adds to the horror, because not understanding a situation means you don't have a chance of effectively combating it.

I agree with the first part. The not knowing/have no definitive explanation between the various possibilities adds to the creep factor IMO. I think that's a separate issue from combating the zombie plague though. One doesn't need to understand why the dead rise to grasp the method of what's going on, and then reasoning out a way to respond effectively.

I'm of the opinion that when threatened with *imminent* extinction that man can/may find the will to take whatever drastic steps are called for to end the threat. I've never been able to believe in an extinction scenario brought on by the living dead. Utter desolation sure, but man has adapted to some pretty hellish extremes in his time on Earth. To wipe him out completely I think you need a situation that deprives all his members of the basics required for survival. Food, water, shelter, means of defense etc.

Now whether or not any of us in the comfy first world could do anything but vomit upon seeing the world left in the wake of a war with the living dead is another matter.

As someone else said, I'm getting a little tired myself of the lack of quality survival horror that depicts an intelligent and effective response to the threat. Just look at many Holocaust survivors. Many of them remained cautious, careful and thoughtful with their safety for the rest of their lives. I think a mankind facing such an imminent threat *every day* has the potential to become a lot more vigilant and determined to survive than we give ourselves credit for.

We're still the same creature that burned Australia to the ground to destroy the giant river lizards. Still the same animal that competed with the smilodon and the cave bear for dominance. We've survived multiple Ice Ages. Maybe all that's buried under a layer of flabby avarice and sensation-seeking, but its still there.

Just my opinion..

Zomby Woof
30-Jun-2008, 06:47 AM
The explanation Romero threw out there in NotLD – mutation resulting from space born radiation – is enough for me. I don’t need anything more because I’m not looking for a conclusion. Personally, I enjoy the stories of how people cope when confronted with the nightmare situation of the dead rising. That’s why I enjoy Night and Dawn so much, and Diary too, which IMO is better than both Day and Land.