PDA

View Full Version : So I've just seen .REC

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 03:53 AM
I put this off, not because of subtitles, im one of the exponentially dwindled number of film lovers who will view world cinema as just cinema. not some foreign crap thats speaking jibbery talk like most people seem to do nowadays. Im digressing but i was put off by the notion of a zombie outbreak in a building. "How the frigg could that work?" i thought, i just thought that ,logistically, if thats the right term. that it couldn't work. I thought a film in a building would be over in 15 minutes, not 75. But i decided to quit my bitchin' and give it a shot.

So my thoughts?

Well i gott say i was in the dark watching this on my 24 inch widescreen imac with its backlit screen, and for me thats high end compared to my 1980s tv in my room, and ....to sum it up i used some variation of "JESUS.****.****.****.BASTARDING-****E!" a good dozen times.

So a little scary, it used "jumps", yknow when behind a door or a camera theres a zombie or something waiting?. Normally that pisses me off to no end as a cheap trick to generate shock. and in here it does that too, but its needed. The whole time i was thinking, especially since ive been behind the camera a lot lately for infomercial stuff, that "what if i was the cameraman in that situation?". The woman never feels like a protagonist to me, its all about the cameraman paublo. the whole idea of "would i drop the camera, risk breaking it and losing all this film that could document this should i not survive or help fight something that takes on bit of spittle to turn me?"
utterly terrifying stuff, the start, well, i wasnt sure if i was tuning into something else by accident the acting was that genuine at first, not to say it isnt later but the stuff at the fire-station before the unreal stuff happens felt so real.
I think the language could have helped, maybe giving your subconscious a kick in the pants to think "well ,a real movie wouldn't appear in the cinemas like this, maybe it could happen to me one day out filming?", obviously it cant but still that idea draws you in and just amps the fear, the tight turns in the corridors just amp this up by adding a factor of claustrophobia.
The plot, and surprisingly there is one, is much better than the likes of 28 weeks later or diary or any other recent zombie flick. by the end , even if the characters dont understand what is going on the viewer knows, and you get to the final "oh holy-****-****-balls!" moment before the characters do, so when you know there heading into that moment your already got your palm over your mouth adn wide eyes thinking "oh snaaaaap, **** be going down".

Overall i HAVE to buy this on dvd and show all my friends. This is finally kicking blair witch off its podium of all time scariest fps horor movie.
Its better than diary, makes cloverfield look like utter ****e and i cannot stress enough that a zombie fan HAS to see this movie.

clanglee
24-Jun-2008, 03:59 AM
Right on Hell, I'm glad you liked it. I watched it the first time without the subs and it STILL scared the **** outta me. :skull::eek:

Skippy911sc
24-Jun-2008, 04:00 PM
I have heard a little about this flick...why the subs? Just curious.

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 04:39 PM
... because its a spanish film?

Legion2213
24-Jun-2008, 06:07 PM
I loved this film, I watched the original Spanish with subs and it didn't detract one iota from my enjoyment of it. In fact, they added to it, I just viewed it like I was watching an actual account of an incident in Spain that had been leaked to the public.

Hellsing, I'm glad you enjoyed it, I think it deserves huge props...if you want the DVD, you will have to wait until 04/08/2008 - I've pre-ordered it from Amazon.

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 07:19 PM
...thats 2 months ago dude....:lol:

clanglee
24-Jun-2008, 07:42 PM
Legion lives in the time before time. . . . the past that was once the future, and then today, which was once yesterday. :lol:

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 08:08 PM
Legion lives in the time before time. . . . the past that was once the future, and then today, which was once yesterday. :lol:

ITS YOUR KIDS MARTY!, SOMETHINGS GOTTA BE DONE ABOUT YOUR KIDS!:lol:

EvilNed
24-Jun-2008, 08:10 PM
Why are you guys even talking about subs as if it's an issue? I have zero respect for a person who would rather watch a film dubbed.

clanglee
24-Jun-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't think we are Ned. . . When I said I saw it without subs, I meant I watched it in Spanish.

ITS YOUR KIDS MARTY!, SOMETHINGS GOTTA BE DONE ABOUT YOUR KIDS!:lol:

Where we're going we don't need roads. :D

Danny
24-Jun-2008, 08:18 PM
Why are you guys even talking about subs as if it's an issue? I have zero respect for a person who would rather watch a film dubbed.

NED MAH BOI!

(sorry ****ty zelda ripoff quote)

I already said i agree, part of what gives a film is its charm, battle royale is great in japanese, a bou de souffle in french and pulp fiction in english, none of those would be the same across the globe if they were dubbed, the script in the language it was made is the directors vision and ****ty recordings detracts from that and the experience, subs rock and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Legion2213
25-Jun-2008, 12:33 AM
...thats 2 months ago dude....:lol:

Only if you use an American callendar matey. ;)

4th August, 2008

(actually been put back to the 11th now though).:(

DubiousComforts
25-Jun-2008, 10:31 AM
Only if you use an American callendar matey. ;)

4th August, 2008

(actually been put back to the 11th now though).:(
Or you could just buy this DVD that has been out for months: [REC] DVD (http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/rec-p-14006.html?osCsid=75c0db6ba2da1d23ba65dfd0a425f854 )

Legion2213
25-Jun-2008, 04:16 PM
Or you could just buy this DVD that has been out for months: [REC] DVD (http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/rec-p-14006.html?osCsid=75c0db6ba2da1d23ba65dfd0a425f854 )

Erm, how are these folks able to sell a dvd that hasn't been officially released yet?:rockbrow:

I'll wait for the one I've pre ordered anyways, because it's $12 cheaper. :D

DubiousComforts
25-Jun-2008, 04:25 PM
Erm, how are these folks able to sell a dvd that hasn't been officially released yet?:rockbrow:
It has been officially released in Spain. They are selling the Region 2 PAL release.

Deadman_Deluxe
25-Jun-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah, anyways ... so what was up with the young boy up in the crawlspace?

I need to know god dammit!!! :skull:

Skippy911sc
25-Jun-2008, 07:57 PM
... because its a spanish film?

I was thinking Quarantine...sorry...:lol:

DubiousComforts
25-Jun-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, anyways ... so what was up with the young boy up in the crawlspace?

I need to know god dammit!!! :skull:
I thought we were supposed to use spoilers dammit!

Either an infected dead kid or the weird female thing was pregnant before it died.

EvilNed
27-Jun-2008, 05:08 PM
It has been officially released in Spain. They are selling the Region 2 PAL release.

REC has been out for some time over here too. On DVD, that is. Maybe it's a "countries that begin with the letter S"-thing.

EDIT: Double checked it. Turns out the official release date isn't until in a few days, but the film has still been on display and for buy in various gas stations and what not. Wierd. Guess it's a popular film.

DubiousComforts
27-Jun-2008, 06:06 PM
REC has been out for some time over here too. On DVD, that is. Maybe it's a "countries that begin with the letter S"-thing.
Where else has the R2 been released?

Deadman_Deluxe
27-Jun-2008, 08:01 PM
Talk about running out of ideas!

Holy-wood have remade this movie before it is even fully released on DVD!?!

I seen a trailer for quarantine the other week, and, well to be honest, it looked just like [REC.] ... only worse. What's the point in remaking a movie that is less than one year old when all involved know 100% that is is going to suck compared to the original?

I find the whole thing embarrassing, and i don't even have any thing to do with the production!

Craig
28-Jun-2008, 12:45 AM
Sounds like I'll have to check this movie out. I always feel foreign movies (or simply movies outside of Hollywood) are, most of the time, generally much better.

I read this Quarantine movie is a shot-for-shot remake of this film. That is really lame. Reading the reviews for .REC on play.com you see it's a great and genuinely scary movie, no wonder greedy people wanna cash in on a good idea. Hell, the original will probably be overlooked by a lot of people in favour for this remake released a few months later. That's just sickening.

Mike70
30-Oct-2008, 08:17 AM
well folks, i downloaded this the other day and got around to watching it tonight in the dark at like 2am(couldn't sleep). i'll say that not only do i absolutely love this movie, it also put the creeping wolf whillies on me big time; scared the pogees out of me like no other film in eons has.

with few exceptions, i usually detest pov/first person movies but in this one it totally works. i also got into the characters (even though we know hardly anything about them) and actually gave a crap about them (esp. the younger cop and manu the fireman). i think the small scale of the movie, taking place in an apartment bldg, gives the film a claustrophobic feel that serves to heighten the freak out factor.

maybe not a fair comparison, but this movie blows diary and 28 days (and weeks) later out of the water. it is superior in every way.

this, in my opinion, is easily the best horror movie to come out in the last 10 or 15 years and has zoomed right into my all-time top ten list. it is an absolute must see.

as a footnote: i don't see how the english language version "quarantine" (which after seeing .rec i frankly don't give a ferret's anus about) could possibly live up to the spanish language original.