PDA

View Full Version : Their gift for jumping on the neo beta max band wagon....

acealive1
27-Jun-2008, 02:52 AM
Think you paid too much for your Playstation 3? Don't expect any sympathy from Sony.

In the company's fiscal 2008 annual report, Sony revealed that they've now lost roughly $3.3 billion (that's billion with a B) on the Playstation 3 since its launch. That breaks down to $2.16 billion in 2007, followed by a notably smaller but equally daunting $1.16 billion loss in 2008.

The reason? Pricing the console below its production cost. That's right - that hefty $599 you paid for the PS3 back when it first launched was significantly cheaper than the cost of producing it in the first place, and while the retail price has come down some, the losses keep piling up.

Investors have reason to sweat. In a statement, Sony claimed "the large-scale investment required during the development and introductory period of a new gaming platform may not be fully recovered." They went on to note that they've invested a great deal of money into R&D for the console, a sum they might not be able to recoup if the PS3 "fails to achieve such favorable market penetration."

Sony fanboys should take heart, however. Losing money on hardware is relatively common in the video game biz, as companies routinely lower prices to sell more units and thus stimulate software sales. Sony's game division saw a 26% sales spike last quarter, a trend they expect will continue on the strength of strong exclusives like the recently released Metal Gear Solid 4 and the upcoming sequel Resistance 2.

But will it be enough?

im guessing their losses would have been significantly less had they just put a standard dvd system on it.

SRP76
27-Jun-2008, 02:59 AM
I don't think anyone cares what it costs to make; 500 bucks is just too ****ing much to play some games. So, people aren't going to buy it, so they'll never cover their costs.

I don't care how "great" a game system is; it's not worth that much money. I could buy a half-dozen hookers and become a pimp for less money. Why the hell am I going to pay that much just so I can play Madden?!

acealive1
27-Jun-2008, 03:09 AM
I don't think anyone cares what it costs to make; 500 bucks is just too ****ing much to play some games. So, people aren't going to buy it, so they'll never cover their costs.

I don't care how "great" a game system is; it's not worth that much money. I could buy a half-dozen hookers and become a pimp for less money. Why the hell am I going to pay that much just so I can play Madden?!

without the blu ray player, it would be cheaper than today's xbox 360

Danny
27-Jun-2008, 03:47 AM
Dannys joke round-up

1: People play madden?

2: So you could have that much dough to be a bling-ray playa'?

3: cheaper and less likely to break

4: They expect the trend to continue?, is mgs 5 coming out next quarter then?

i could go on but this is pretty easy, thank you tumbleweeds ill be here all week.

capncnut
27-Jun-2008, 10:38 AM
They expect the trend to continue?, is mgs 5 coming out next quarter then?
:lol:

On a side note, MGS4 isn't all it's cracked up to be.

CornishCorpse
29-Jun-2008, 11:44 AM
:lol:

On a side note, MGS4 isn't all it's cracked up to be.

You have MGS4? Or just watched? people playing? Im considering gettig it but currently working through MGS2. Damn you Solidus..

Anyway ouch for the ps3, it launched at 400 I think it was here and dropped down and I picked mine up for 300 which is alot of money but personally I felt I was buying stability. My 360 red ringed and admittdly not all of them do it but meh, I cant afford xbox live but I love online play so PSN was the easy choice. I have a blue ray player but not a blue ray but plenty of ps1 and ps2 classics to go through again.

Ouch for Sony though.

MikePizzoff
29-Jun-2008, 03:26 PM
Big deal. Microsoft loses tons of money every year on the sales of the 360. They did with the first XBOX, too. This loss is completely made up with the sales of peripherals and games, though.

slickwilly13
29-Jun-2008, 04:36 PM
I got mine on launch date, but ended up getting it for free. I have the 60G model. From what I have read it is the best one for backwards compatablity. Every PS2 game I have put in has worked. I haven't tried PS1, though.

CornishCorpse
29-Jun-2008, 11:00 PM
PS1 game work on a 60gb no problem but Ive heard 60gb have stopped being made. So if youre buying you get no backwards compatibility or higher price for more memory. Anyway yeah the ps3 plays ps1 games, good to have a go at the classics now and then. MGS, GTA: London, Legend of Dragoon etc.

Skippy911sc
01-Jul-2008, 07:23 PM
I read an article about how to install a larger HD and also install Linux on the PS3. I know this is not the biggest news but I thought the fact that you don't VOID the warranty by doing so is BIG NEWS!!!

Play On.

BTW I don't own a PS3

I'm a RROD Guy

:D:D:D

acealive1
01-Jul-2008, 10:34 PM
I read an article about how to install a larger HD and also install Linux on the PS3. I know this is not the biggest news but I thought the fact that you don't VOID the warranty by doing so is BIG NEWS!!!

Play On.

BTW I don't own a PS3

I'm a RROD Guy

:D:D:D

its like a computer, u can do anything but replace the motherboard and ur ok