PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 discussion thread....

SymphonicX
27-Jun-2008, 09:35 AM
Discuss!!

Note: It's actually a pretty decent game....

capncnut
27-Jun-2008, 10:44 AM
Note: It's actually a pretty decent game....
All the Metal Gears have been decent games but this one isn't near the top of the pile. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with the fact this game got 10/10 in every single magazine/website that's reviewed it. Based on what?

That said, Ive only played a couple of hours but in my eyes nothing will top Metal Gear Solid on the PSone.

Danny
27-Jun-2008, 12:26 PM
from what ive played, and given the 40 minute cutscene AFTER the ending credits cutscene i think it might be goty material.

CoinReturn
27-Jun-2008, 12:59 PM
I've yet to play 4, but I think it will be really, really tough to top Snake Eater, which was my favorite game on PS2. The storytelling is top notch, though I've always thought the controls were too complex for their own good.

slickwilly13
27-Jun-2008, 03:24 PM
I will rent it when I get a chance. MGS3 was too short for my taste. Great game, but too short.

Tricky
27-Jun-2008, 06:27 PM
I loved metal gear solid on the PS1,it was an absolutelyt brilliant game with good story telling etc,but i really didnt like sons of liberty,i thought the story had its head up its own arse & was absolutely ridiculous!good graphics & the tanker part was great,but other than that it was just overblown nonsense!is this new one a bit more in the real world?

SymphonicX
28-Jun-2008, 08:29 AM
HELL NO Tricky...it's very very grandiose, over the top, it kinda plays out like parts 2 and 3 of the Matrix, it's a sci-fi geek's wet dream, but a sci-fi geek with some very serious sexual issues.

Gameplay wise though, it's really fluid and looks great....however after a few more days there seems to be a lack of things to do, definitely NOT the game you'd buy the ps3 for.

Tricky
28-Jun-2008, 12:48 PM
HELL NO Tricky...it's very very grandiose, over the top, it kinda plays out like parts 2 and 3 of the Matrix, it's a sci-fi geek's wet dream, but a sci-fi geek with some very serious sexual issues.

Gameplay wise though, it's really fluid and looks great....however after a few more days there seems to be a lack of things to do, definitely NOT the game you'd buy the ps3 for.

I think il be giving it a miss then,shame cos like i said i really enjoyed metal gear solid,if they brought the series back into the real world a bit & quit all the over the top sci-fi/conspiracy stuff i'd be all over it!

SymphonicX
28-Jun-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah it's all about the patriots, Snake has an ageing disease, brought on by nano-machines.

Although there's this plot element that I love: the soldiers are all controlled emotionally by these nano-bots, and they regulate their emotions and attitude during battle, when they start going a bit wrong the soldiers start getting these overwhelming rushes of guilt and emotion etc. Also the plot points about weapons being regulated and controlled, and the war being part of a world economy which can't survive without it, is actually intrinsically deep...

But still, it does get a bit silly.

capncnut
28-Jun-2008, 03:12 PM
I think il be giving it a miss then,shame cos like i said i really enjoyed metal gear solid,if they brought the series back into the real world a bit & quit all the over the top sci-fi/conspiracy stuff i'd be all over it!
Yup Trick, where's the tactical espionage gone to? I don't mind the odd futuristic enemy or weapon but golly, the Metal Gear series has just gone all silly now.

Danny
28-Jun-2008, 03:34 PM
Go onto the site of 4plyerpodcast (the scoota bruthas guys) and you can watch it in its entirety, and fast forward through parts, good way to tell if you like it actually seeing people play it and talk about it at the same time.

http://www.justin.tv/fourplayerpodcast

CornishCorpse
29-Jun-2008, 11:52 AM
Meh. Im getting it because I want to know what happens in the next part of MGS4 plus Im intrested in the online, I played the beta and although the controlls were a bit meh that was because I hadnt played MGS in quite some while. Although it gave off the feeling this was going to be a game that was going to be played for sometime, I mean COD4 is loved by the online community but its just an average shooter..It looks nice, plenty of guns, perk system is cool but its nothing shocking.

MGO seemed like it would be but only one way to find out. Ill write a review once Im done with it, not sure if it will be a 10/10.

SymphonicX
29-Jun-2008, 12:09 PM
Cod4 is the best single player on the next gen.....!!!!! No doubts about it. Cod4 was spectacular, not too struck with the online though, I agree that is nothing shocking. But story mode=best thing ever

slickwilly13
29-Jun-2008, 03:24 PM
I beta tested Metal Gear Online. It wasn't too bad. I love the fact that you can hide in boxes and barrels, then surprise someone.

CoinReturn
29-Jun-2008, 05:45 PM
Cod4 is the best single player on the next gen.....!!!!! No doubts about it. Cod4 was spectacular, not too struck with the online though, I agree that is nothing shocking. But story mode=best thing ever
CoD4's singleplayer was way too scripted for my liking, and the enemies were completely devoid of AI. It was fun, but I actually liked the multiplayer a lot more.