PDA

View Full Version : Teen decapitated by coaster

MikePizzoff
29-Jun-2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/28/theme.park.fatality/index.html

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A teenager Saturday was struck and killed by a roller coaster at the Six Flags Over Georgia theme park outside Atlanta, authorities said.
The Batman ride at Six Flags over Georgia reaches speeds of up to 50 mph.

The 17-year-old park visitor was killed after scaling two fences -- one of which was six feet tall -- around the Batman roller coaster, park spokeswoman Hela Sheth said in a statement.

The teen, who visiting the park with a church group from Springfield, South Carolina, was decapitated, she said.

It was unclear how fast the outside-looping coaster was moving when it struck the teen, but according to the park's Web site, the ride reaches speeds of 50 mph.

"We do not know why this person was intent on gaining access to this restricted area," the statement said, noting that multiple signs are posted stating, "Danger Zone," "Do Not Enter" and "Authorized Personnel Only." Video Watch how day at amusement park turns into a tragedy »

"Some witnesses have stated that the individual was trying to retrieve something he had lost," Sheth said. "Others reported that he was trying to touch the ride. This is merely speculation at this point, and we are working with park visitors and local police to learn more."

No one on the ride was injured, she said.

Police said the incident occurred about 2 p.m. The ride was closed Saturday, but park officials said they expected it to reopen Monday.

The victim's family was at the park with him, Sheth said, and park representatives were with them Saturday evening.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family," she said.

Cobb County police spokesman Dana Pierce said officers would continue to investigate the incident, but "all indications are that the park had done everything they could to maintain a safe environment."

Sure, I have some pity for the kid and his family... but really, how dumb can you be?

EvilNed
29-Jun-2008, 03:54 PM
I agree. This is a case where I have pity for his family, but not so much him. Out of sheer dumbness did he get himself killed. But then again. He was a teen. Everyone has done stupid things as a teenager.

Danny
29-Jun-2008, 04:50 PM
first thought in my head was "dumbass", that says it all i think.

tju1973
29-Jun-2008, 08:00 PM
first thought in my head was "dumbass", that says it all i think.

I agree 100%--

:dead:

MissJacksonCA
30-Jun-2008, 04:39 AM
I'm just wondering what part of the coaster decapitated him?

bassman
30-Jun-2008, 12:29 PM
I live just minutes from Six Flags over Georgia. The Batman ride is a coaster that hangs from the track. By that I mean that the track is always at the passenger's head.

How this boy lost his head and didn't hit a passenger's foot is beyond me. The passenger's feet are the lowest part of the coaster. Unless it was in a loop, but I still don't see how it could have happened. I've been on this coaster more times than I can count.

Fun ride, BTW....

ProfessorChaos
01-Jul-2008, 03:09 AM
while i find this to be terrible for his family, it reminds me of the kids who were fu(king with that tiger at the zoo...another case of kids being careless and thinking they're bulletproof ending with fatal results.

survival of the fittest, still proving true.

SRP76
01-Jul-2008, 03:18 AM
And here we all thought Batman didn't kill people...

bassman
01-Jul-2008, 03:43 PM
And here we all thought Batman didn't kill people...

Batman won't kill people, but he doesn't have to save them.:cool:

If I remember correctly, I remember seeing on the local news that something similar to this incident happened about 5 years ago. It wasn't fatal, but I believe someone had jumped the line rails and when the coaster came by, a passenger's foot hit the other person's shoulder and their bones were crushed.

Maybe they should re-think the waiting line for The Batman ride. It wraps in and around the coaster. Obviously people are too stupid to stay within the waiting line rails.

They need to update it, as well. It's still based on Burton and Shumacher's batman films...

SymphonicX
02-Jul-2008, 08:09 AM
I feel sorry because the kid was 17 years old, all his life ahead of him and certainly had a few lessons to learn - shame he learnt the hard way.

Rottedfreak
02-Jul-2008, 02:12 PM
I feel sorry because the kid was 17 years old, all his life ahead of him and certainly had a few lessons to learn - shame he learnt the hard way.

They are always little angels going up in the world in a good way, never little bastards destined to be the next Hitler.

SymphonicX
02-Jul-2008, 03:32 PM
They are always little angels going up in the world in a good way, never little bastards destined to be the next Hitler.

Either way really, he'll never find out. It's a waste.

I find it a bit cold people are writing off this poor kid because he had a moment of stupidity, none of us knew him to say whether he deserved being killed or not.