PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen WALL-E yet?

Neil
30-Jun-2008, 09:44 AM
I've got high hopes for it, and can't wait to see it :)

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2008, 10:23 AM
It's not even out yet is it?

I totally wanna see it, it looks really good. Hopefully it's Pixar back to their best - a combination of real heart, really good visuals, and importantly - COMEDY.

I thought Ratatouille was visually impressive, but lacked the heart and HUMOUR of previous films (a bit like Cars actually, visually impressive, but not funny at all).

WALL.E on the other hand looks amazing visually, and looks to have a real heart and humour about it, and that's just from previews. I certainly look forward to seeing it, it could be up there in my top five of the year when I see it, who knows.

I know what #1 of the year will be though ... ... ... The Dark Knight ... ah mate, saw the trailer again before Wanted yesterday, and mate! A whole four weeks left to wait!!! :eek:

Neil
30-Jun-2008, 10:40 AM
It's not even out yet is it?

I totally wanna see it, it looks really good. Hopefully it's Pixar back to their best - a combination of real heart, really good visuals, and importantly - COMEDY.

I thought Ratatouille was visually impressive, but lacked the heart and HUMOUR of previous films (a bit like Cars actually, visually impressive, but not funny at all).

WALL.E on the other hand looks amazing visually, and looks to have a real heart and humour about it, and that's just from previews. I certainly look forward to seeing it, it could be up there in my top five of the year when I see it, who knows.

I know what #1 of the year will be though ... ... ... The Dark Knight ... ah mate, saw the trailer again before Wanted yesterday, and mate! A whole four weeks left to wait!!! :eek:

Out in a couple of weeks here...

I liked Ratatouille... :)

I think the folks behind Finding Nemo are behind WALL-E... And Finding Nemo was a nigh on perfect flick IMHO!

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2008, 07:52 PM
Deffo, Nemo was an excellent film, and had the visual wow factor, but also had the heart that was strong enough to tug at your tear ducts, and the funny bone to give you a rather good chuckle.

I've just listened to the latest SModcast (#55) and Kevin Smith was talking about it (beware - he gives away the vibe of the ending, as in, what mankind is now up to 700 years down the track after everybody pissed off from earth).

Regardless, he absolutely loved the flick and it sounds superb, he said it was the ballsiest animated film ever made, as it essentially pokes a massive finger right up inside certain cultural aspects of Western civilisation that aren't exactly admirable.

I cannot wait to see it personally.

ProfessorChaos
01-Jul-2008, 03:15 AM
the gf is coming down to visit later this week, and we're gonna go see this. two people i work with were both saying it was awesome.

i'm looking forward to toy story 3, as well.

acealive1
01-Jul-2008, 10:32 PM
can we say short circuit rip off?

Neil
02-Jul-2008, 08:34 AM
can we say short circuit rip off?

Ummm... No?

You're going simply on the fact the droids look similar in some ways, but apart from that the stories are surely utterly different?

One's set now, the other is set in the future. On is a military droid, the other is a cleaner. One can talk, the other cannot. One film has human leads, the other does not... One you've seen, the other you haven't... Shall I continue? :)

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2008, 10:52 AM
Ummm... No?

You're going simply on the fact the droids look similar in some ways, but apart from that the stories are surely utterly different?

One's set now, the other is set in the future. On is a military droid, the other is a cleaner. One can talk, the other cannot. One film has human leads, the other does not... One you've seen, the other you haven't... Shall I continue? :)
Well said. :)

I mean, yes, in the "eye" area WALL.E and Johnny 5 look similar, but beyond that I don't see any similarities whatsoever.

I say WALL.E is a rip off of The Terminator, cos they're both robots. :p

Sorry, just couldn't resist a friendly jibe. :)

Neil
02-Jul-2008, 01:44 PM
Can't be too bad... It's #6 on IMDB :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910970/

Always gets me that some monkeys - even though it's at worst a reasonable film - give it 1/10 :rockbrow:

You see the same in the Fiction Section as well. Some numpties giving what is at least a well written contribution the lowest score possible (1/10)! :rant:

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2008, 05:37 PM
give it 1/10

Nail their beanbags to the wall! Dish out some Neil-stylee justice!

ProfessorChaos
04-Jul-2008, 05:58 AM
just got back from seeing this earlier, and both the gf and i really enjoyed it. it had some pretty funny moments, and a few that are pretty heart-warming. as mz said in his post, there are some definite jabs at the american lifestyle and consumerism, which is great. if you've liked any other pixar film, i'd check this one out....as a matter of fact, i can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Neil
04-Jul-2008, 06:10 AM
just got back from seeing this earlier, and both the gf and i really enjoyed it. it had some pretty funny moments, and a few that are pretty heart-warming. as mz said in his post, there are some definite jabs at the american lifestyle and consumerism, which is great. if you've liked any other pixar film, i'd check this one out....as a matter of fact, i can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Excellent - I will definately be taking the nugget to see this in 3-4 weeks during the summer holidays then!

I assume a 5-6yr old will be OK with it?

ProfessorChaos
04-Jul-2008, 06:21 AM
yeah, they should get a kick out of it. lots of cute robots and whatnot. there's no hidden sexual innuendos, vulgarity, violence, or any of that jazz.

Danny
06-Jul-2008, 05:35 PM
Just watched it. bloody great stuff. weird to see humans as these blobs in hovering chairs 700 years on but very gutsy and a good change of pace to the sci-fi star trek bollox about humans becoming this master race that has a galaxy spanning empire.
I can really recommend it, you know how its gonna end by 30 mins in at the most, but its definitely worth the price of admission.

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2008, 05:42 PM
I take it someone downloaded a CAM, eh? :rolleyes:

I'll go see it with the lads I think, but go at a more adult time at night, yeah. :)

Danny
06-Jul-2008, 05:47 PM
I'll go see it with the lads I think, but go at a more adult time at night, yeah. :)

possibly the creepiest ****ing thing someone could say about a children's movie, and im not sure why:lol:

Neil
06-Jul-2008, 06:17 PM
possibly the creepiest ****ing thing someone could say about a children's movie, and im not sure why:lol:

Of course the interesting thing about many Pixar movies is they're adult friendly... I mean I'd say I'll quite happily watch Toy Story 1 & 2, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo... :)

Danny
06-Jul-2008, 06:30 PM
finding nemo is like depressants and/or antidepressants for some people, ive seen someone watch that and go form in tears to punching the air multiple times in succession.

i may just be a paranoid ****, and im paranoid that i am, but i dont trust that movie. i do believe it may be the ultimate incarnation of evil.

acealive1
06-Jul-2008, 10:05 PM
Ummm... No?

actually....no im not. but thanks for assming. whats not to rip off though? a robot gets a "message" from the heavens and becomes self aware(johnny 5 was struck by lightning) and wall e looks towards the sky in the trailer like he knows somethings there......hm..................................... ........... sounds like a rip off to me!!!!!!

Neil
07-Jul-2008, 08:16 AM
actually....no im not. but thanks for assming. whats not to rip off though? a robot gets a "message" from the heavens and becomes self aware(johnny 5 was struck by lightning) and wall e looks towards the sky in the trailer like he knows somethings there......hm..................................... ........... sounds like a rip off to me!!!!!!
Hmmm...

- So Johny 5 is a military robot, built now, and struck by lightening to make him centient.
- WALLE is a cleaner droid, in the far future, who has become centient over time (or always was? Not seen the film).

Is that it? That means rip off? No analysis of the stories or character interplay? Wow you're a hard audience to please... Not really much in common for that accusation I would suggest?

Danny
07-Jul-2008, 08:37 AM
they have nothing in common but appearance, thats it.

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2008, 10:03 AM
Of course the interesting thing about many Pixar movies is they're adult friendly... I mean I'd say I'll quite happily watch Toy Story 1 & 2, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo... :)
Exactly, there's plenty of adult-friendly humour in those movies, plus they're just good movies full stop.

Now, a bunch of lads going to see a Teletubbies movie or something, on their own, and not high on something - that would be a bit: :rockbrow:

Pixar transcends the ages, one of the reasons why they're so epically successful.

Neil
07-Jul-2008, 10:18 AM
Exactly, there's plenty of adult-friendly humour in those movies, plus they're just good movies full stop.

Now, a bunch of lads going to see a Teletubbies movie or something, on their own, and not high on something - that would be a bit: :rockbrow:

Pixar transcends the ages, one of the reasons why they're so epically successful.

I'm taking my 5yr old to see WALLE next month :) I expect I'll enjoy it more than him :)

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2008, 03:35 PM
It got a 4/5 in Total Film today, and it did in fact say that possibly the adults will enjoy it more than the kiddies ... at certain points.

I really wanna see it, but not quite as much as The Dark Knight, which has probably already stolen my heart for 2008.

Neil
07-Jul-2008, 05:43 PM
It got a 4/5 in Total Film today, and it did in fact say that possibly the adults will enjoy it more than the kiddies ... at certain points.

I really wanna see it, but not quite as much as The Dark Knight, which has probably already stolen my heart for 2008.

...waits for acealive1 to suggest 'Dark Knight' is actually a rip off of 'The Goonies'... :)

Danny
07-Jul-2008, 06:22 PM
please, dark night is blatantly a rip off of zorro.

Neil
07-Jul-2008, 09:24 PM
please, dark night is blatantly a rip off of zorro.
LOL! :)

Danny
07-Jul-2008, 09:56 PM
don't question it, you knows it.