PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Diary...

SymphonicX
30-Jun-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh man I just finished watching this.

I really didn't dig it, everything was so contrived and badly done. The Amish deaf guy thing was silly, although I did chuckle. Ugh. I felt the actors would've had a chance had they not been given such outlandish and ridiculous things to do, and deal with. Jason Creed is a dickhead and I really doubt anyone in this kind of situation would tolerate this dude filming other people being attacked without dropping the camera and helping out. There was barely a sense of them questioning what was going on, they accept it so quickly it's stupid.

The only saving grace is that I am glad I missed it at the cinema.

The extras are good on the blu ray dvd though....

jim102016
30-Jun-2008, 04:43 PM

I really didn't dig it, everything was so contrived and badly done. The Amish deaf guy thing was silly, although I did chuckle. Ugh. I felt the actors would've had a chance had they not been given such outlandish and ridiculous things to do, and deal with. Jason Creed is a dickhead and I really doubt anyone in this kind of situation would tolerate this dude filming other people being attacked without dropping the camera and helping out. There was barely a sense of them questioning what was going on, they accept it so quickly it's stupid.

Join the club, many of us were not impressed. I found myself wishing for nudity or a hardcore sex scene about half way through the dvd. For some reason, I kept rewinding to try and check out the specifics of the panic room.

Danny
30-Jun-2008, 04:58 PM
Join the club, many of us were not impressed. I found myself wishing for nudity or a hardcore sex scene about half way through the dvd.

...allrighty then, different strokes and all that, not my 5 star criteria in a zombie flick though, but ho-hum.

DubiousComforts
30-Jun-2008, 05:03 PM
Join the club, many of us were not impressed.
Sucks to be you guys.

I wish that even more people didn't get Diary 'cause it's so much more fun to be in the smarter minority. :D

SymphonicX
01-Jul-2008, 07:14 PM
Sucks to be you guys.

I wish that even more people didn't get Diary 'cause it's so much more fun to be in the smarter minority. :D

it's not that I didn't get it, it's that I didn't enjoy it. Everything so contrived, like I said. Take for instance the opening scene, the guy just happens to place his camera perfectly in shot for us to see him getting bitten...just silly. Some of the dialogue was cringeworthy....imo...there were a couple of "wow" moments but nothing insanely cool...

what did you see in it if you don't mind me asking?

T

clanglee
01-Jul-2008, 09:00 PM
Sucks to be you guys.

Whatever :rolleyes:

It must be great to be that much smarter and cooler than everyone else.:rolleyes:

I "got" the stupid movie. . . As a matter of fact a retarded monkey on qualudes could "get" that movie. The "subtext" ain't so sub anymore there boyo. :bored:

Redman6565
01-Jul-2008, 11:13 PM
Sucks to be you guys.

HAHA let me guess your line of work involves the statement, "would you like fries with that". :moon:

Whatever :rolleyes:

It must be great to be that much smarter and cooler than everyone else.:rolleyes:

I "got" the stupid movie. . . As a matter of fact a retarded monkey on qualudes could "get" that movie. The "subtext" ain't so sub anymore there boyo. :bored:

HAHA clang it's fun to read posts by folks like dubi. Reminds me of the good old days. Wouldn't it be great to be 5 again. :D

Mike70
01-Jul-2008, 11:48 PM
i've said it before and i'll say it again. despite its problems i like diary.

but people please it is a fu*king movie about the dead returning to life and trying to turn the living into human carpaccio. expecting "sense" or realism out of such a scenario seems to me to be borderline asinine. stuff like "oh, the hospital was empty i don't buy that." bullsh*t. you can buy into the premise that the dead return as protein challenged zombies but can't buy into an empty hospital. whatever.

Redman6565
02-Jul-2008, 12:00 AM

but people please it is a fu*king movie about the dead returning to life and trying to turn the living into human carpaccio. expecting "sense" or realism out of such a scenario seems to me to be borderline asinine. stuff like "oh, the hospital was empty i don't buy that." bullsh*t. you can buy into the premise that the dead return as protein challenged zombies but can't buy into an empty hospital. whatever.

I don't buy into it. hahaha What bothers me is the hospital was empty even though the zombiesfeed on human flesh (that's why I don't buy into it lol). At the same time most of the zombies were where fewer people were. It didn't make sense in the theme of what zombies are after in GAR's movies. The hospital was only one instance there are several others (as listed by several people on this site).

On my list of bad zombie movies Diary isn't at the top. I can watch Diary it just wasn't well thought out. By the way, if you ARE watching these movies looking for a 'sense' of realism I hope it's in fun because it really isn't real. lol Although sometimes it would be nice if it were real. Don't you have alist of people you'd like to shoot. :elol:

I want to see a zombie movie where they feed on TV remotes.

DubiousComforts
02-Jul-2008, 12:03 AM
You have no idea. :p But hey, you can't blame me because I have never justified my viewpoint depending on how many people agree with it.

I'd reckon that the subtext to most any Romero movie has never been hidden. Show me a film where the commentary is "hidden" and then we'll talk, but I bet that you can't do it. Look at the whining over an "anti-firearms" theme simply because a DIARY character didn't commit suicide properly. Did the blatant anti-firearms edge of the original Night of the Living Dead whiz way over the heads of that many people? If anything, Romero is consistent and it's not valid to criticize a movie simply because it doesn't jive with your current politics. If you don't like, for example, that DIARY depicts several National Guardsmen as looters, then go and watch something that your ego can agree with.

I've never said that that DIARY is a brilliant, wonderful, fantastic film but it does provide much food for thought. If you think it's "stupid" and can't see the forest for the trees (to paraphrase scipio's point) then by all means stick with less thoughtful films.

Redman6565
02-Jul-2008, 12:08 AM
You have no idea. :p But hey, you can't blame me because I have never justified my viewpoint depending on how many people agree with it.

I'd reckon that the subtext to most any Romero movie has never been hidden. Show me a film where the commentary is "hidden" and then we'll talk, but I bet that you can't do it. Look at the whining over an "anti-firearms" theme simply because a DIARY character didn't commit suicide properly. Did the blatant anti-firearms edge of the original Night of the Living Dead whiz way over the heads of that many people? If anything, Romero is consistent and it's not valid to criticize a movie simply because it doesn't jive with your current politics. If you don't like, for example, that DIARY depicts several National Guardsmen as looters, then go and watch something that your ego can agree with.

I've never said that that DIARY is a brilliant, wonderful, fantastic film but it does provide much food for thought. If you think it's "stupid" and can't see the forest for the trees (to paraphrase scipio's point) then by all means stick with less thoughtful films.

So grab a chainsaw and cut down all the trees and give us the amazing message from Diary we all over looked. It's amazing that all you do is make personal attacks on people rather than making your point. Rather pathetic.

DubiousComforts
02-Jul-2008, 12:29 AM
So grab a chainsaw and cut down all the trees and give us the amazing message from Diary we all over looked.
Surely it would take a weed wacker to cut through the sheer din of brilliance being posted here such as "I don't buy the hospital being that empty."

Redman6565
02-Jul-2008, 12:43 AM
Surely it would take a weed wacker to cut through the sheer din of brilliance being posted here such as "I don't buy the hospital being that empty."

Wow that really makes your argument. One as smart as you can do better than that. Then again maybe not. I guess you can't defend your stance on Diary. Not shocked at all. Maybe I was giving you credit for acting like a 5 year old. I don't think you reached that level yet. :D

clanglee
02-Jul-2008, 01:14 AM

My point. . Is that the subtext in GAR movies used to be unintentional and completely up to the interpertation of the viewer. Now. . George sets out to make points. . .OBVIOUSLY. The hospital thing has got nothing to do with my overall feelings for this movie. I've said it many times before that I don't hate the movie. And perhaps stupid was too strong a word, But the movie does treat its viewer as stupid. It automatically assumes that you can't get the message of the movie without having it shoved down your gullet multiple times. There is no subtlety to GAR's movies anylonger. By that token. . If the meaning of the movie is handed to you and explained to you and forcefully tattoed on the inside of your eyelids. . . .then it ceases to be a "thoughtful" movie.

SymphonicX
02-Jul-2008, 07:22 AM

Come on man, there's a line that needs to be drawn around the suspension of disbelief. We allow the notion of the dead returning to life because that's the premise of the movie. Also the premise of the movie is how this make-believe situation is handled by humanity. When the word "humanity" extends to people filming grisly deaths without helping and NO ONE really saying a word about it, the suspension of disbelief goes right out of the window. What's the point in creating such a harsh environment for a movie if you're just going to write ridiculous, nonsensical characters that people find it hard to relate to in terms of their actions or words? Where are "we" in this movie? Nowhere. And that's what Romero has always done, put "us" in that world, one way or another...except this one.

The notion of Diary providing food for thought is a willfull one. It doesn't. If it does, the "food" is akin to McDonalds or KFC. It's so obvious, in your face, and tactless that it says a lot more about Romero than it does about anything else. The whole movie plays out like an old man's whine about the youth of today in so much that he's literally created characters that are easy to dislike and are thoughtless, emotionless morons. It's not that the "message", if you can call it that, is hard to get or hidden in "subtext" - it's not, it's so blatant and in your face it's patronising.

And that aside, the movie is just generally badly made. shot badly, even for a pov movie, acted badly, terrible script and the afforementioned "subtext" which is so outlandish and preachy it's a hard push, even for Romero.

Give me the subtle digs at Reagan in Day any time.....

My point. . Is that the subtext in GAR movies used to be unintentional and completely up to the interpertation of the viewer. Now. . George sets out to make points. . .OBVIOUSLY. The hospital thing has got nothing to do with my overall feelings for this movie. I've said it many times before that I don't hate the movie. And perhaps stupid was too strong a word, But the movie does treat its viewer as stupid. It automatically assumes that you can't get the message of the movie without having it shoved down your gullet multiple times. There is no subtlety to GAR's movies anylonger. By that token. . If the meaning of the movie is handed to you and explained to you and forcefully tattoed on the inside of your eyelids. . . .then it ceases to be a "thoughtful" movie.

100% agree, except with the bit that said you liked the movie :)

Ask yourself this:

24 hours after this problem starts, what would be the most populated place? The hospital!! So why was it empty? People fled? Sure they fled, that's fine, where's the army of Zeds that chased them out? Two doctors and one patient left, less than a day after the problem starts? Where's the carnage? Police stations, fire stations, hospitals and schools would be the places that the public run to for safety - not a single tone of panic came out in this movie, it was as if the problem started, and then everyone disappeared. There wasn't the smallest hint of the gravity of what they were going through - the empty hospital just highlights that.

clanglee
02-Jul-2008, 08:22 AM
100% agree, except with the bit that said you liked the movie :)

Woah. . let's not be hasty. I never said I liked the movie. I just don't hate it. :D

Redman6565
02-Jul-2008, 08:29 AM

Well put clang. I agree 100%. I don't hate the movie either. I think GAR was way over the top with the news bit in this movie. I get the fact that we are all bombarded with news 24/7. News that is no longer who, what when, where, and how but rather a persons take on what happened. I also think that you could take 5 people who watched this movie and get 5 different answers as to what they feel it was about or I guess I should say what GAR was trying to get across.

I do not see Diary as being a deep thoughtful movie at all. To me what was being said, which is what I take from it, was obvious in the first place. I think it's rather sad that people go to a GAR zombie movie with the hope of getting some amazing 'social' comentary rather than a good zombie movie. GAR should go back to making a fun movie first. Just tell a good story with characters you really get to know and care about. IMO the failure to do this is why Diary is his weakest zombie flick. It's a watchable movie just not one of GAR'sbetter movies. If you loved it that's great I just know he can do better.

I don't blame you but at the same time I find it typical of people like you who do not defend their take on something. Fact is you will not defend your viewpoint because at the end of the day we can justify our viewpoint on Diary and you cannot. I don' know why GAR dropped the ball with Diary. I don't think it's his age or that he doesn't have 'it' anymore. Maybe it has to do more with who he has around him than anything. I remember when Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas. He got rid of all the people that made him a good solid fighter and got knocked out for it. Maybe GAR, like all other great people, need that someone that says hey you may want to re-think this or that. That's what I think was missing with Diary. There are to many things in this movie that just make no snese.

SymphonicX
02-Jul-2008, 09:14 AM
Woah. . let's not be hasty. I never said I liked the movie. I just don't hate it. :D

hahaha sorry i didn't mean to slur your good name!

Another thought/fault that just ocurred to me -

"I'm putting music in this for effect, and to scare you - because I want to scare you"

Does that also mean you want to make us laugh with the stupid country bumpkin music playing after the "southern belle" chick hits Ridley over the head with a branch? Find it funny...That someone you were making a movie with has just died and tried to eat your friend, so let's stick some funny music on it!!

Oh and another small gripe is that the TV stations stopped working completely out of line with the original movies...."3 weeks" was the timeline we get from the TV station in Dawn where they're still going to work and broadcasting, yet in less than a day all local stations are off in Diary.

Redman6565
02-Jul-2008, 09:01 PM
That's the one thing I agree with in Diary. I think the world would fall apart faster than was the case in Dawn. If the dead are getting up and eating the living I think we would have a 9/11 style lock down. IMO

Trin
02-Jul-2008, 10:43 PM
Come on man, there's a line that needs to be drawn around the suspension of disbelief. We allow the notion of the dead returning to life because that's the premise of the movie.Thank you Symphonic for making this distinction. The idea of suspension of disbelief is paramount to the enjoyment of the GAR movies. And it's also a poorly understood concept on this forum.

I get really sick of people saying "you expect realism in a zombie movie?!?!?!"

Of course I do!! And so does everyone else - even the people who make that statement.

In the GAR movies the dead have risen as zombies. That's it. No other disbelief is suspended. You cannot pull out a lightsaber and start hacking at them. You cannot trip and forget to hit the ground and thus fly. All the rules of physics and society still exist.

@clanglee - Once again you've made a wonderful point regarding GAR's subtext and it's almost noxious tendency toward obviousness!! Well said!!

Dead Hoosier
03-Jul-2008, 12:29 AM
Boy, this seems to have people more riled up than Land.
After Land, it was clear GAR circa-1978 was NEVER coming back. No one should be surprised by the incosistencies.

clanglee
03-Jul-2008, 01:44 AM
I get really sick of people saying "you expect realism in a zombie movie?!?!?!"

Hear Hear!! This is a zombie movie fan site. This is what we do. We are the folk that look at a building and wonder how it would hold up in a zombie uprising. We are the people who plan subconsiously our survival in said rising. And we are the people who know and bicker over the rules layed down by our beloved GAR (headshots, all dead and not just bites, etc etc) Of course we expect a little realism in our zombie movies. This is our chosen fantasy world. . .grim as it may be. . .and we like to see representations of this world in our zombie movies. Thus we expect these movies to represent realism WITHIN the zombie genre.

Having said that. . .I realise that not every movie is gonna reach all those expectations, and not everyone will be pleased all the time. As a matter of fact, it's DAMN hard to please even half of the fans out there. There are very few movies we all agree on as being good examples of the Zombie genre. It seems that after Day. . .even Dawn for some folk. . .We begin to divide and segment into different tastes.

But so what? Thats what makes this site so much fun. People with differing tastes that discuss and argue these movies until we are blue in the face(but not shambling around and eating flesh thank god) We wont agree on all the movies. But that's ok, we all like zombies. It's why we're here.

I/ve taken too many calls in between wtining this so I've completely lost my point. . .so. . . yeah. . .

SymphonicX
03-Jul-2008, 07:51 AM
"Inelegantly phrased Clanglee, but accurately put" To quote Diary :)

Trin
03-Jul-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, we all like zombies. And we all like at least some of the GAR movies enough to be zombie fans and come to this site. And we all are not completely sure exactly what clanglee was trying to say but we think we agree or disagree or are somewhere in between. Yeah!!

And even though I'm outspoken in my disdain for the recent GAR zombie movies that's still only judging them within the body of GAR zombie movies. It's not like I'm writing them off and won't shell out the coin to see any future installments.

clanglee
04-Jul-2008, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I was writing that at work in between calls. . so I totally lost my train of thought. Even I have no idea what my point was. SOrry. :o

Redman6565
04-Jul-2008, 09:11 PM
Hear Hear!! This is a zombie movie fan site. This is what we do. We are the folk that look at a building and wonder how it would hold up in a zombie uprising. We are the people who plan subconsiously our survival in said rising. And we are the people who know and bicker over the rules layed down by our beloved GAR (headshots, all dead and not just bites, etc etc) Of course we expect a little realism in our zombie movies. This is our chosen fantasy world. . .grim as it may be. . .and we like to see representations of this world in our zombie movies. Thus we expect these movies to represent realism WITHIN the zombie genre.

Having said that. . .I realise that not every movie is gonna reach all those expectations, and not everyone will be pleased all the time. As a matter of fact, it's DAMN hard to please even half of the fans out there. There are very few movies we all agree on as being good examples of the Zombie genre. It seems that after Day. . .even Dawn for some folk. . .We begin to divide and segment into different tastes.

But so what? Thats what makes this site so much fun. People with differing tastes that discuss and argue these movies until we are blue in the face(but not shambling around and eating flesh thank god) We wont agree on all the movies. But that's ok, we all like zombies. It's why we're here.

I/ve taken too many calls in between wtining this so I've completely lost my point. . .so. . . yeah. . .

HAHA your looking at a building point. Now I don't feel wierd for thinking like that. God I do that all the time. I can remember about 25 years ago me and a group of friends were talking about zombie movies and we came up with this big plan as to what we would do. lol We aren't as close as we were then but when we run into each other we still bring that up.

Sure we take these movies serious. It's an outlet an escape from the everyday BS we all go through. Nothing wrong with that. Who would have ever thought that watching people getting eaten by dead people was a healthy thing. :D

Yeah, we all like zombies. And we all like at least some of the GAR movies enough to be zombie fans and come to this site. And we all are not completely sure exactly what clanglee was trying to say but we think we agree or disagree or are somewhere in between. Yeah!!

And even though I'm outspoken in my disdain for the recent GAR zombie movies that's still only judging them within the body of GAR zombie movies. It's not like I'm writing them off and won't shell out the coin to see any future installments.

Your point of judging GAR's zombie movies inside of the body of his zombie movies is dead on. I watched Diary for the 5th time today. I tried to watch it and not put it into the context of his other zombie movies. Take it as a stand alone movie and I still hate it. I like the idea but the product flat out stinks. I stated in a few posts that I didn't hate this movie. I take it back. I hate this movie. This is so far below the other 4 it's amazing.

Trin
05-Jul-2008, 05:38 AM
Take it as a stand alone movie and I still hate it. I like the idea but the product flat out stinks. I stated in a few posts that I didn't hate this movie. I take it back. I hate this movie. This is so far below the other 4 it's amazing.I'm trying very hard not to be right there with you my friend. But I'm failing.

I haven't watched it except in the theater, so I'm withholding final judgement.

Redman6565
05-Jul-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm trying very hard not to be right there with you my friend. But I'm failing.

I haven't watched it except in the theater, so I'm withholding final judgement.

haha I wish you luck. I have tried so hard to find something to like but I can't. I've sat through it 5 times and it keeps getting worse. I'm a HUGE GAR fan and this movie kills me. I know he's so much better than this movie shows. Every time I watch it I find something else that bothers me about it. So many flaws it's really sad. It feels rushed and it's sort of like you're tripping and tripping and are waiting to fall flat on your face and then it ends with you still falling waiting to smash your face into the ground. Like a bad dream you can't wake from. After watching it for the 5th time yesterday the acting seemed worse and the dialog was even harder to deal with. Oh the pain. lol

Mikey
05-Jul-2008, 05:31 PM
The main problem with diary is was a terrible script. Bad plot, bad lines, stupid ass characters, and the message was too preachy regarding media. The more I think about it, the more I absolutely hate this ****ing movie.

And for those of you who liked Diary, I'm sure you will like Ginger Snaps and Caw, which are great Sci Fi original movies, cause that's what Diary was. George Romero stole a sci fi original movie and tried to pass it off as his. Terrible, terrible film. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

Redman6565
05-Jul-2008, 07:53 PM
The main problem with diary is was a terrible script. Bad plot, bad lines, stupid ass characters, and the message was too preachy regarding media. The more I think about it, the more I absolutely hate this ****ing movie.

And for those of you who liked Diary, I'm sure you will like Ginger Snaps and Caw, which are great Sci Fi original movies, cause that's what Diary was. George Romero stole a sci fi original movie and tried to pass it off as his. Terrible, terrible film. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

haha I'm with you. The idea for this movie is good but the final product is bad. Heck, give me 2 or 3 million and some of the folks from the Oxford area and we could do as good if not better. I never thought I'd say that concerning a GAR movie. But Diary,,,, god what a pile of undead garbage. Come on GAR did you even watch it when you finished it? :stunned:

I'm not gonna get personal with the folks that liked Diary I'd just like them to point out their reasons besides it being a GAR movie. It's fine to be a fan of his, and I am, but to defend this movie without defending it. Come on.

carpetbeggar
02-Aug-2008, 04:05 AM
I totally agree with this. I watched it for the first time tonight and I tell you I am SO glad I neither, saw it in the theater, bought the DVD, rented it, NOR will I ever think about illegaly download it(not that I would ever do that even if I enjoyed the movie lol).
Very disappointing IMHO.

DubiousComforts
02-Aug-2008, 01:28 PM
Very disappointing IMHO.
Regardless, what is the point of being grateful for not having seen it theatrically?

Trin
02-Aug-2008, 02:28 PM
What I want to know is how so many people can come on this forum and say how much they hate the movie and yet the poll only has 11 people in the disliked or worse category. Do you people not vote?!?!
Edit - make that 12 - that was fast there carpetbeggar!!

Legion2213
02-Aug-2008, 04:33 PM
What I want to know is how so many people can come on this forum and say how much they hate the movie and yet the poll only has 11 people in the disliked or worse category. Do you people not vote?!?!

I've just cast my own vote for "disliked it" as well.

GAR's last two films have been sub-par garbage IMO. Very disapointing stuff from the father of the zombie genre, the man who gave us one of the best "trilogies" of all time.

clanglee
04-Aug-2008, 09:05 AM

I struggled with my vote man. I voted disliked. . but I didn't WHOLELY dislike the movie. Nevertheless, every time I think about the damn movie I find something else to bitch about. . so . .I went disliked. Im a real fence sitter. There really should have been an option for ":|"

AcesandEights
04-Aug-2008, 01:37 PM

Some people can't be arsed, while others might not see items 'stickied' above the 'normal' daily forum topics. I know I didn't notice it till I saw the topic as a recently replied to thread in the 'Top 5' summary portion of the main, forum page.

Trin
04-Aug-2008, 02:56 PM
I struggled with my vote man. I voted disliked. . but I didn't WHOLELY dislike the movie. Nevertheless, every time I think about the damn movie I find something else to bitch about. . so . .I went disliked. Im a real fence sitter. There really should have been an option for ":|"I didn't completely dislike it either. And there was really not much in the movie that I outright hated. But there was also nothing I loved. In the end there were tons of little things I disliked that wore away at my opinion.

With Land there are parts I loved and parts I hated. It was very clear cut.

Legion2213
04-Aug-2008, 08:28 PM
I didn't completely dislike it either. And there was really not much in the movie that I outright hated. But there was also nothing I loved. In the end there were tons of little things I disliked that wore away at my opinion.

With Land there are parts I loved and parts I hated. It was very clear cut.

I watched Land again the other night, it is a better zombie movie than Diary, at least there is some good action in parts.

Thorn
25-Sep-2008, 04:29 PM
Honestly I disliked the film on a number of levels.

First and foremost was the script, which was weak. The fact that he had film students in the woods shooting a movie about a mummy, which is an undead… and they later go on to film real undead. Weak. The fact that a scene from their movie comes to life in “reality” Doubly lame in my opinion.

The acting was horrible, the characters were on dimensional and inconsistent in some cases. I liked the teacher, he was about it. Even with the whole “bow” thing going on which was forced and seemed contrived.

Lack of leading minority characters, and the fact that the principle actors were teenagers/20 something’s made it feel like a “teen scream” slasher flick and I am not a fan of those at all.

I think that in the past George has been more subtle or his commentary on society has been subconscious. In this he tried to deliver a message and did so with the force of a safe falling on your head the way it would in the keystone cops or a bugs bunny movie. Sad thing was the movie felt just as cartoon like at times and it bothered me.

Yes, we film everything. I get it. Yes we are obsessed with YouTube, and the MySpace generation and blogs are telling history as it happens and not always accurately I get that too. I sense his message and disdain about the media and their corruption and spin. I got the subtle racist message, and the not so subtle “all the white national guardsman were scumbags” and “most of the black gang members were “good fellas” commentary. Bravo. Does it shock anyone? I think we all know there are good and bad people in all walks of life, and the government is not a bastion of honor and decency. Nor are our soldiers, or our law enforcement officials. Every group, team, business, organization, and subculture has both good and bad elements in it.

The thing was and it has been said here in other ways already was it doesn’t make for very stimulating viewing. Others have said “why watched a horror movie if you are looking for a thinking man’s movie” well isn’t that what makes GAR films special? You do think, you can think, and pick up on his themes and ideas beyond what is shown to you intended or not? If not you can just pop in Friday the 13th part one.

I just hate being preached at at, or talked down to. Talk to me, entertain me, wrap me up in your world and lore and make me care about your characters. Make a movie so good that suspension of disbelieve is not something I HAVE to do but something I have no coconscious choice in doing because the movie is that damn good.

I respect the hell out of GAR for all he has done, and for trying to reboot his series this far into the “game” and return to his roots in a sense by walking away from the big budget film studios. That is not to say I liked it, because I didn’t.

I also will watch it again at some point and I am looking forward to a part 2 just because I think GAR can and will do better.

Legion2213
26-Sep-2008, 10:05 AM
I just hate being preached at at, or talked down to. Talk to me, entertain me, wrap me up in your world and lore and make me care about your characters. Make a movie so good that suspension of disbelieve is not something I HAVE to do but something I have no coconscious choice in doing because the movie is that damn good.

Excellent comment.

Yojimbo
01-Oct-2008, 07:35 PM
I suspect that there are folks here posting their dislike of Diary simply because they have this perception that it is cool to dislike Diary. Not all of you, mind you - I am aware that many of you have legitimate complaints about Diary, and I can respect that.

I personally liked Diary, and found it to be an entertaining, well made zombie movie. Surely, it is not as unique as NOLD 68 was when it was made, and not as entertaining as DOTD 78, and not as gory as DAY. So in the context of GAR films, it is perhaps not his best work, but I think it kicks the ass of most of the zombie-genre films being made today, or at least the ones that I have seen recently with the exception of Shaun which I found to be more entertaining.

Sure, a lot of the actors were wooden, and I could have done without the Texas crap and a lot of the stupid voice over. I also believe that the lead female's acting ability was not solid enough for the role. But overall, I did like the movie.

BTW:

-On the topic of the hospital being empty - I used to be a unit manager for the Family Practice/Urgent Care clinic for a major hospital here in Los Angeles, and I must say that I did not find the lack of staff at the hospital in the midst of this crisis to be unbelievable in the least. If you would like to debate this issue, I am game to go head to head, point by point, and argue that the hospital sequence was believable if you wish.

-And on political messages in film: take any film and if you wish you can interpret a political agenda from it if you try hard enough.

Danny
01-Oct-2008, 07:43 PM
-And on political messages in film: take any film and if you wish you can interpret a political agenda from it if you try hard enough.

i submit pokemon 2000 up to your scrutiny!,

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/180px-Villainc.png

MYA-HA-HA!

clanglee
01-Oct-2008, 08:25 PM

Of course you can, but the message in this movie was not hard at all to figure out man. George was beating us with his message. In some movies people can get differerent ideas about what the "message" was. Not this movie. This message was so overpowering that it made it difficult to enjoy the story. But. . I am not about to go into my old story/message arguement again. :D

Yojimbo
01-Oct-2008, 10:23 PM
Of course you can, but the message in this movie was not hard at all to figure out man. George was beating us with his message. In some movies people can get differerent ideas about what the "message" was. Not this movie. This message was so overpowering that it made it difficult to enjoy the story. But. . I am not about to go into my old story/message arguement again. :D

I agree to disagree with you about whether or not the message overwhelmed the story, Clang, but I conceed that there was indeed a "message" in Diary specifically intended by the old fart, and that this message was very clearly stated. GAR himself has mentioned this message in interviews, so I am certainly not denying that there was one in this film.

i submit pokemon 2000 up to your scrutiny!,

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/180px-Villainc.png

MYA-HA-HA!

Haven't seen it yet, but I would guess that the message is cooperation triumphs over individual needs, reflecting that bipartisan efforts will win in the end over the agendas of the separate political parties.

(Ok, I admit I am pulling this one out of my ass!) :lol:

bassman
01-Oct-2008, 11:26 PM
I agree to disagree with you about whether or not the message overwhelmed the story, Clang, but I conceed that there was indeed a "message" in Diary specifically intended by the old fart, and that this message was very clearly stated. GAR himself has mentioned this message in interviews, so I am certainly not denying that there was one in this film.

Although I like Diary, I agree with this. It's a bit heavy handed but people also said this about Land and I think that sometimes they forget about Dawn. Dawn is generally considered THE zombie movie and the favorite of favorites, but that message was right there in your face. I see people saying that it was subtle, but I say "PFFFT" to that. Dawn is 'in your face' with commentary. It's not implied, it's not hinted, it's a HUGE portion of the film.

Even Romero himself admits that when he saw the mall and first got the idea for the film, it was to have the comparison of what would people do if they were held up in a consumer's paradise with everything they could possibly want or need but only a few people to have as company?

Now you could argue that Romero has made that statement since the film was released, but everytime I watch Dawn...I'm seeing commentary out the ass. The mall, the projects, the TV station, the bikers, EVERYTHING. It's not subtle.

I give you an excerpt from Ebert's review of Dawn that was written right after the film was released:

The depravity is in the healthy survivors, and the true immorality comes as two bands of human survivors fight each other for the shopping center: Now look who's fighting over the bones!

And people say the commentary wasn't intended and didn't come about until later years. I hate to say it once again...but people pick on romero's new entries because they hold the originals so high that they don't want a new spin or something original. They want to see duplicates. Look how people reacted when Day was released...

Whew. Okay...Rant over.:p

Yojimbo
02-Oct-2008, 12:08 AM
Although I like Diary, I agree with this. It's a bit heavy handed but people also said this about Land and I think that sometimes they forget about Dawn. Dawn is generally considered THE zombie movie and the favorite of favorites, but that message was right there in your face.

And people say the commentary wasn't intended and didn't come about until later years. I hate to say it once again...but people pick on romero's new entries because they hold the originals so high that they don't want a new spin or something original. They want to see duplicates. Look how people reacted when Day was released...

Whew. Okay...Rant over.:p

Hopefully, GAR will live long enough to make several more zombie films so that folks here on HPOTD will look back on Diary as one of the less-message oriented films, like they now do for DAY.

Bub666
02-Oct-2008, 12:51 AM
Hopefully, GAR will live long enough to make several more zombie films

We can only hope he lives to make some more zombie movie.

clanglee
02-Oct-2008, 10:12 AM
Hopefully, GAR will live long enough to make several more zombie films so that folks here on HPOTD will look back on Diary as one of the less-message oriented films, like they now do for DAY.

Oh my Christ!!! I hope I never look on Diary as one of Romero's less message oriented movies!! That would mean the rest of the movies he makes would come free with a midget poking you in the back of the head every three seconds and shouting the moral of the movie in your ear. You know. . just in case you missed it. :rolleyes:

SymphonicX
02-Oct-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh my Christ!!! I hope I never look on Diary as one of Romero's less message oriented movies!! That would mean the rest of the movies he makes would come free with a midget poking you in the back of the head every three seconds and shouting the moral of the movie in your ear. You know. . just in case you missed it. :rolleyes:

So ****in' true....!!!

Yojimbo
02-Oct-2008, 07:52 PM
Hilarious, brother!:lol:

Trin
05-Oct-2008, 05:47 AM
Oh my Christ!!! I hope I never look on Diary as one of Romero's less message oriented movies!! That would mean the rest of the movies he makes would come free with a midget poking you in the back of the head every three seconds and shouting the moral of the movie in your ear. You know. . just in case you missed it. :rolleyes:No kidding...

I can see one day going to a GAR movie and...

"Here's your ticket. Here's GAR's manifesto. For maximum viewing enjoyment please complete the commentary pre-reading section prior to viewing. If you'd care to leave your email address GAR will send you additional commentary reflections as historical perspectives change. Enjoy the show!!"

clanglee
07-Oct-2008, 08:24 PM
No kidding...

I can see one day going to a GAR movie and...

"Here's your ticket. Here's GAR's manifesto. For maximum viewing enjoyment please complete the commentary pre-reading section prior to viewing. If you'd care to leave your email address GAR will send you additional commentary reflections as historical perspectives change. Enjoy the show!!"

:lol::lol::lol:

So true. . . so true

darth los
08-Oct-2008, 01:02 AM

I'd settle for him living long enough to make a good film.

:cool: