PDA

View Full Version : The Crazies Remake

S&Dproductions
03-Jul-2008, 04:31 AM
I was checking out imdb and I found that there is plans for The Crazies remake for 2010. GAR is executive producer and is writing the script.
I think this film realy does deserve a remake that does GAR's vision justice. Obviously the original failed because of marketing and the vietnam war. Personaly i think this is a valuable film and would work well modernized. It has a feel of Dawn of the Dead as in the antagonist-protagonist plot. Plus the exploration to distance the characters from the main chaos of the virus.
Anyone with info on the remake please post.

capncnut
03-Jul-2008, 10:51 AM
Well, firstly go here (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=579&referrerid=716) and here (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=6334&referrerid=716). As you can see, there have been plans to remake The Crazies since 2005! IMDb are not a reliable source of information so I wouldn't hold your breath for it...

Besides, I think it's an awful idea. Haven't GAR's films been bastardised enough?

jim102016
03-Jul-2008, 03:23 PM
I was checking out imdb and I found that there is plans for The Crazies remake for 2010. GAR is executive producer and is writing the script.
I think this film realy does deserve a remake that does GAR's vision justice. Obviously the original failed because of marketing and the vietnam war. Personaly i think this is a valuable film and would work well modernized. It has a feel of Dawn of the Dead as in the antagonist-protagonist plot. Plus the exploration to distance the characters from the main chaos of the virus.
Anyone with info on the remake please post.

The Vietnam War caused "The Crazies" to fail at the box office? The Viet Cong sure were resourceful little bastards!

S&Dproductions
03-Jul-2008, 08:59 PM
capncut said,
Besides, I think it's an awful idea. Haven't GAR's films been bastardised enough?
GAR's involved and supposidly producer. How is that basterdised? Plus, fans didn't complain when he remade Night of the Living Dead.

jim102016 said,
The Vietnam War caused "The Crazies" to fail at the box office? The Viet Cong sure were resourceful little bastards!
Obviously not in a literal sense. The times people were scared and films were a way to escape reality. Government taking over a town because of a miltary goof isn't exacly escaping reality.
I will hold my breath because if Day of the Dead can be remade then Crazies will definitely get a remake.

Rogue has closed a separate deal to remake the 1972 George Romero film "The Crazies," about a small Pennsylvania burg terrorized after a plane crash drops a biological weapon into the water.

Rogue bought the pic out of turnaround from Paramount, and it's earmarked to start production as soon as the SAG deal is made. Breck Eisner will direct a Ray Wright script, and Michael Aguilar and Dean Georgaris are producing. Romero will exec produce.

Article:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117980830.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

capncnut
03-Jul-2008, 10:53 PM
GAR's involved and supposidly producer. How is that basterdised? Plus, fans didn't complain when he remade Night of the Living Dead.
I'll believe it when it comes out. :rolleyes:

Romero's 'Crazies' to return - Apr 11 2005:

Finally, Romero is to executive-produce the update, etc...

Just a small snippet from a 2005 article, which actually reports more info than the one that you linked.

Article (http://www.timeout.com/film/newyork/news/361/romeros-crazies-to-return.html)

Romero executive producing, whatever. It's still gonna be a bastardisation no matter how you look at it. Also, when did Romero 'remake' Night Of The Living Dead? He co-executive produced it with Russ Streiner and Menahem Golan and the movie was NOTHING compared to the orginal. :rolleyes:

S&Dproductions
04-Jul-2008, 12:46 AM
Romero's involvment with Night 90 was not just producer but also co-writer. Plus i've seen stills of GAR on set so he had a little more involvement then just producer.

He co-executive produced it with Russ Streiner and Menahem Golan and the movie was NOTHING compared to the orginal.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the story was bassicly the same. Other then the fact that Ben turns into a zombie,and Barbera survives. The story is almost exacly the same. We can debate Night 90 and Night 68 for months but I feel it should be left alone. To each his own.
I feel that if the original creators are involved in the creative process it's a win-win situation for the film.
Just to set the record straight, I don't like most re-makes. It's a sign that hollywood has lost any bit of creativity they might have had. Re-makes are bad ways to cash in on past sucesses. But The Crazies is a viable concept that would work modernized. Crazies 72 starts out good. But when the characters distance away from the chaos it slows the film down. Sometime in between the helicopter getting shot down and the end scene at the cement factory all hope is lost for this film. Crazies 72 is a sign of a great filmmaker still working out the kinks of his craft.

capncnut
04-Jul-2008, 12:58 AM
Romero's involvment with Night 90 was not just producer but also co-writer. Plus i've seen stills of GAR on set so he had a little more involvement then just producer.
1. Of course GAR was co-writer - he wrote the original!
2. On set pics? Being a co-executive producer surely thats a requirement?

Mike70
04-Jul-2008, 01:13 AM

just because he is some stills doesn't mean he was super involved in making night 90. he wasn't. go over to deadpit.com, they have an incredibly info filled podcast interview with savini and he talks at length about the nightmare that was filming night 90. he also talks about how romero, aside from a set visit or two was down in florida writing "the dark half" and had very little actual involvement in getting the film shot.

capncnut
04-Jul-2008, 01:16 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong...
Corrcted. :D

S&Dproductions
04-Jul-2008, 02:52 AM
Corrected? No, you totaly avoided commenting on the fact that Night 90 and Night 68 are exacly the same film.

the movie was NOTHING compared to the orginal. :lol:

capncnut
04-Jul-2008, 03:57 AM
Corrected? No, you totaly avoided commenting on the fact that Night 90 and Night 68 are exacly the same film.

:lol:
No, you avoided the fact that:

1. You posted about a subject that's been discussed here a few times on this forum without searching - get some spectacles!
2. You thought Romero 'remade' Night when he never - get some spectacles!
3. Night 68 is nothing like Night 90 - get some spectacles! :lol:
4. Romero really didn't have much to do with Night 90 when you insisted that he did - get a brain!
5. I've been watching GAR's movies and following his career when your mom was wiping your asshole - if not earlier!

S&Dproductions
04-Jul-2008, 11:32 AM
1. You posted about a subject that's been discussed here a few times on this forum without searching - get some spectacles!

Those posts were from 2006, and the article I posted was from this year. That means that my post is relavent.

2. You thought Romero 'remade' Night when he never - get some spectacles!

Obviously speaking in broad terms there bud.

3. Night 68 is nothing like Night 90 - get some spectacles!

How so? Is the main characters not the same? Is it not almost shot for shot the same? Is the ending any different with the bonfire? No?

4. Romero really didn't have much to do with Night 90 when you insisted that he did - get a brain!

:lol: You didn't get cocky till Scipio posted about that one.

5. I've been watching GAR's movies and following his career when your mom was wiping your asshole - if not earlier!

And this makes you some kind of expert huh?

Tell you honestly, you're a jackass and pretty much copped an attitude on your first response. So what is it? The impending doom of hollywood turning all your favorite flicks into remakes got ya mad? :lol: Or was it that I posted something that was already posted two years ago? Or maybe you just don't agree with others that don't share like views? Either way, get ****ed!

capncnut
04-Jul-2008, 12:49 PM
Tell you honestly, you're a jackass, etc.

Either way, get ****ed!
Now it's flaming is it? :rolleyes:

NEXT!

Andy
04-Jul-2008, 02:41 PM
Play nice or dont play at all. children.

Danny
04-Jul-2008, 03:39 PM
what the hell is getting everyone so pissed?

Different strokes folks, its just a movie.....well, its NOT, but theoretically it is.:D

capncnut
04-Jul-2008, 03:55 PM
Play nice or dont play at all. children.
Yes Andy, we pwomise we'll be wery good fwom now on! :D

what the hell is getting everyone so pissed?
I wasn't getting pissed dear hellsing, just stating facts.

Also, in regards to Breck Eisener directing this so-called remake, according to the mighty IMDb, he's also scheduled to remake The Creature From The Black Lagoon and Flash Gordon in the same year. :lol:

Yojimbo
10-Jul-2008, 12:33 AM
How so? Is the main characters not the same? Is it not almost shot for shot the same? Is the ending any different with the bonfire? No?

It is most certainly not the same "shot for shot". Sorry to disagree, but you are very incorrect about it being the same movie.

Psycho remake - now that is a different story, but Savini's NOLD remake is not of that realm.

Plus, fans didn't complain when he remade Night of the Living Dead.

Again, this is not true. Though I personally liked Savini's remake, many fans did not and in fact complained about the remake.

Legion2213
10-Jul-2008, 12:38 AM
Savini's excellent remake is the only one we need.

Tony Todd made the Ben role his own, anybody else attemting to play this role will fail IMO.

Edit: Patricia Tallman's Barbara also rocked, she became a character we could actually give a damn about.

Yojimbo
10-Jul-2008, 12:46 AM
Savini's excellent remake is the only one we need.

Tony Todd made the Ben role his own, anybody else attemting to play this role will fail IMO.

Edit: Patricia Tallman's Barbara also rocked, she became a character we could actually give a damn about.

Yojimbo agrees with Legion 100%, and also adds that the new Harry Cooper also rocked, though Hardman will always rule that role.

For the original poster, this would not be the first time that IMDB steered someone wrong with bad information, and apparently will not be the last.

capncnut
10-Jul-2008, 03:04 AM
For the original poster, this would not be the first time that IMDB steered someone wrong with bad information, and apparently will not be the last.
That was all I was stating in the first place (albeit in a bit of a cocky fashion). Thank you Yojimbo for stating facts also.

Yojimbo
11-Jul-2008, 12:54 AM
That was all I was stating in the first place (albeit in a bit of a cocky fashion). Thank you Yojimbo for stating facts also.

I knew what you were saying with your posts, Cap, and am certain you meant nothing by them other than what you wrote.

S&D, we might all have different opinions about stuff, but in the end, Cap really is a good guy. One of the things that I have found here at HPOTD is that the posters here are by and large pretty intelligent and open to being cool towards each other even when we vehemently disagree about issues. I have been to other boards where folks took each and every post as a personal attack, and you usually don't find that here with the zombie freaks.

SymphonicX
11-Jul-2008, 06:21 PM
oh my god how did this thread also turn into a flame-fest?

Christ.

George gets automatic writing credits for the remake because he wrote the original. As for exec producer, I doubt that's true. Don't forget that ****ty film company own the rights to all Romero's non-zed movies so if anyone does it, it'll be them.

bd2999
15-Jul-2008, 12:47 AM

Eh, its a bit different when the original director and co writter does something against vs a new group of people. Night was a mess with the copyright thing so they wanted to get some money from it, Tom Savini directed it and Romero did alot of the rest of the producing and writting. So it was a remake but stayed very true to the original and since so many of the original folks were involved it was a remake less blasphemous. Not to mention it turned out well.

I think the Crazies could use a remake if any Romero film ever did. I felt it had great build in the movie but it led no where. I was a bit put off by that. I liked the original but I think it could have been more than what it was. Although with a remake things rarely improve on the original, although it is not unheard of (Thing, Blob and so on)

capncnut
15-Jul-2008, 11:19 AM
I think the Crazies could use a remake if any Romero film ever did. I felt it had great build in the movie but it led no where.
Now that I can agree with but...

Although with a remake things rarely improve on the original
Smack. Bang. On. :D

Also, in regards to Breck Eisener directing this so-called remake, according to the mighty IMDb, he's also scheduled to remake The Creature From The Black Lagoon and Flash Gordon in the same year. :lol:
I really hate to quote myself but doesn't this scare anyone? Talk about a remakes director doing remakes from remakesville. Do we even need a Creature From The Black Lagoon remake?

About as much as we need a Day The Earth Stood Still remake - you know it's gonna be s**t! :dead:

C5NOTLD
17-Jul-2008, 09:05 AM
I think the Crazies could use a remake if any Romero film ever did.

I enjoyed the original but these remakes are getting :eek:

As for the possibility of a Crazies remake - another quality film like the Day of the Dead remake? :stunned: :hurl:

Mike70
18-Jul-2008, 05:35 PM
As for the possibility of a Crazies remake - another quality film like the Day of the Dead remake? :stunned: :hurl:

is taurus ent involved?:lol: i don't think they did the day remake, though they are responsible for the travesties of creepshow 3 and craptagium.

what an apt name - taurus, their movies are nothing but celluloid bullsH8t.

aga
23-Jul-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm pretty sure Romero is involved, or at least was last time this was being talked about a few years ago. Taurus have nothing to do with this, it is coming from Rogue Pictures (Universal) so there should be a good shot at quality.

Taurus were involved with the Dead Remake but obviously did not make it themselves, that was down to Millenium. As far as I can tell they own certain Laurel properties which are most likely now tapped out, with Rubinstein holding the rest.

Bub666
23-Jul-2008, 03:32 AM
I think the Crazies could use a remake.As long as it's done right.

C5NOTLD
05-Mar-2009, 10:24 PM
Crazies Remake is filming in Iowa.

http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=9598D19F-5056-B82A-37033AD7DED897C0

clanglee
06-Mar-2009, 01:57 AM
Hmmmmm. . very interesting. The Crazies was a movie that had a lot of potential but ultimately failed (imo) due to budget and a few other issues. I like the movie. . But I really see more what it could have been whenever I see it. Hopefully a remake could realize that. . of course. . then again. . it could suck balls.

krakenslayer
06-Mar-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Romero is involved, or at least was last time this was being talked about a few years ago. Taurus have nothing to do with this, it is coming from Rogue Pictures (Universal) so there should be a good shot at quality.

Yeah, he's Executive Producer, which basically means he gives it his stamp of approval and maybe acts in an advisory role. It also means the studio still get to call the movie "George A. Romero's The Crazies". ;)

SymphonicX
08-Mar-2009, 11:21 AM
You can get exec producer role simply having a movie based on an old script or having minimal involvement - all George has to do is say "yeah you can use the name The Crazies" and basically he's an executive producer - they have NOTHING AT ALL to do with the creative flow or elements in the film. So that credit, is I'm afraid, null.

It's that horrible company who did Day of the Dead Contagium who've got the rights I thought??!? I saw The Crazies on their website ages ago, so to see Universal attached does bring some hope - but all in all, it's not Romero...- that's all we need to know, it'll be gash.

clanglee
10-Mar-2009, 03:51 AM
George has mentioned that he won't put his name on something that he doesn't approve of. He was asked about video games and said that basically people will show him a game and say here it's cool, put your name on it. And he is like, well let me help write it, and they always say no. . so then so does he.
'

So, if his name is in for exec producer, then he has to have had some involvement on some level. even if it's just approval.

Mr.G
10-Mar-2009, 01:52 PM
I would hope that GAR only allows his name on items he personally approves.

SymphonicX
19-Mar-2009, 08:36 PM
This same thing has happened with every Taurus spin off on IMDB so far, George gets an automatic credit - soon it disappears...can't see a reason why this wouldn't be the same save for the fact we're now aware it's being financed by Universal?

major jay
29-Sep-2009, 07:06 PM
I dig the poster.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/tcrine_photos/Crazies_teaser-FINAL.jpg

But this guy didn't care for an early screening of it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42239

Neil
02-Oct-2009, 09:12 AM
Trailer - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Trailer-Things-Are-Getting-Wild-In-The-Crazies-15021.html

bassman
02-Oct-2009, 11:55 AM
F*ck me running. WHY DO THEY GIVE AWAY THE ENTIRE FILM IN TRAILERS THESE DAYS?!??! The last couple of shots in that trailer tell you how the film will end.:annoyed:

It looks okay though. Hardly any romero left in it, but it looks like it could be fun. I liked the inclusion of Mad World. Nice little touch...