View Full Version : Thinking of getting a new laptop...

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2008, 10:23 AM
I reckon my current laptop might be on the way out, so I was wondering if any of my fellow UK'ers knew of a good UK based website where I could get a cheap laptop - running Windows XP (f*ck Vista for now) - for under £300.

I don't need anything fancy from it, just a laptop that actually works consistently and doesn't overheat in minutes unless a desk fan is huffing over it constantly.

So, any suggestions? :)

Legion2213
03-Jul-2008, 03:35 PM
Play have some Acer lappy's in the £300 price range, but they are all Vista (which is a great system IMO, I've never had any problems with it, if you have 2GB RAM, it works fine). The first Service Pack was released a few months ago as well, so if there were any problems, I assume they have been fixed.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3477577/Acer-Aspire-5720-Core-2-Duo-T5250-1-5GHz-2GB-80GB-15-4-DVD-SM-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook/Product.html

3pidemiC
03-Jul-2008, 06:42 PM
If you want a great deal, go to Dell's small business part of their website. Create your own "custom" laptop (with XP) and at the end make up a fake small businness name. If you do this, they will knock like $200 off the normal price. It's a really nice trick that I used last year. The Dell Vostro laptops are really great machines for the money.

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2008, 08:21 PM
Well it might be a bit longer till I get a new laptop now, but my folks are getting themselves a new family desktop (at long last, I've been nagging them for months, lol - the current one is fairly freaked out now, but has had lots of use over 8 years as well as suffering from a few serious viruses over that time) ... where was I?

Oh aye, well I might keep that Dell thing in mind, because I do work as a freelance filmmaker - so that's my business, legit in all. :)

Danny
03-Jul-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh aye, well I might keep that Dell thing in mind, because I do work as a freelance filmmaker - so that's my business, legit in all. :)

*cough*mac!*cough*

'scuse me :D

Id not go with acer there reputation is not very good, my brother bought 3 laptops off them, none lasted very long and just had terrible restrictions.
id save up for one of those sony....awios?, i dunno what the hell the name is but they come with a decent sized hard drive and overall are pretty good for on the go work.
Though i gotta say when it comes to video development i have not encountered anyone else who pics windows over mac, i know youve got to think about the budget, but for future reference a mac would get you a long way.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2008, 10:35 AM
Well it's also about other functions and softwares, that's the problem you see.

But for now, I'm not getting a new laptop, instead I'm shifting some money elsewhere to specifically put it aside in the event that one day I'll require one for being "on the road" so-to-speak.

Then I'd make my decision.

One major thing of course - it has to keep itself cool, the one I've got at the moment is useless at keeping itself cool, it over-heats in minutes unless I've got a deskfan on it. :rolleyes:

Khardis
07-Jul-2008, 02:57 AM
Well it's also about other functions and softwares, that's the problem you see.

But for now, I'm not getting a new laptop, instead I'm shifting some money elsewhere to specifically put it aside in the event that one day I'll require one for being "on the road" so-to-speak.

Then I'd make my decision.

One major thing of course - it has to keep itself cool, the one I've got at the moment is useless at keeping itself cool, it over-heats in minutes unless I've got a deskfan on it. :rolleyes:

my macbook pro doesn't rise above 140, and I play World of Warcrack on it with the good settings going.

you can always check out SMC Fan too.