PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with these 'f**k the audience trailers'??? (The Mist)

Neil
07-Jul-2008, 08:28 AM
It's a bit of a worrying trend - film companies seem willing now to go to any length to get people into the cinema even if it means ruining the film experience itself.

For anyone in the UK, the Mist trailer is currently the latest example...

**SPOILERS**

In the trailer you see troops with flame throwers frying the creatures. Now while this makes the trailer look cool, it means of course it would most likely ruin the film experience for you - You know you get to see troops with flame throwers, and towards the end of the film you haven't seen them, so a rather big (attempt at a) twist is ruined...

I believe the Quarantine (american '[REC]' remake) trailer is guilty of something similar?

Danny
07-Jul-2008, 08:41 AM
man, there was a mist trailer on after doctor who and , being a stephen king fan and a silent hill fan (the mist is what silent hill is based on), i have resisted watching this online many times and i swore up a storm thats its taken this long to get over here.:mad:

Neil
07-Jul-2008, 09:23 AM
man, there was a mist trailer on after doctor who and , being a stephen king fan and a silent hill fan (the mist is what silent hill is based on), i have resisted watching this online many times and i swore up a storm thats its taken this long to get over here.:mad:

Hang on! A Mist Trailer on BBC? Huh!?! I assume you mean a Doctor Who episode on a Sky channel or something, hence with adverts?

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, Quarantine's trailer gives away the very last shot (and last scare) of Rec. :rolleyes:

When you said "Audience Trailers" I thought you meant those god-awful bits of sh*t where they get a bunch of idiots coming out of the cinema to agree with them and say things like "it's way better than the original" - like some bint did in relation to Yawn04. :mad:

I cursed her out everytime I saw that. :lol:

Geophyrd
07-Jul-2008, 12:34 PM
The Mist was an OK novella with an interesting premise. The movie was fine but the ending is BLEAK. And out of character. It was jarring and it felt like there's another ending floating around out there.

The last time I felt this way was I Am Legend. And sure enough, there is another end out there, one that makes more sense and is satisfying. It, no doubt, got cut off the flick after test screenings.

I'm wondering 2 things: 1). Where's the proper ending? 2). What test audience would have preferred the one they went with???

bassman
07-Jul-2008, 12:42 PM
The Mist was an OK novella with an interesting premise. The movie was fine but the ending is BLEAK. And out of character. It was jarring and it felt like there's another ending floating around out there.

The last time I felt this way was I Am Legend. And sure enough, there is another end out there, one that makes more sense and is satisfying. It, no doubt, got cut off the flick after test screenings.

I'm wondering 2 things: 1). Where's the proper ending? 2). What test audience would have preferred the one they went with???

I actually just picked up The Mist yesterday and watched the special features. Having never read the novella, King and Darabont both mention that it ends with the group driving into the mist hoping to find a way out.

Darabont says that he came up with the ending for the film and he made an agreement with the studio that it would never have to be changed. So what you see is what was intended from the start. They also say that in the Novella, there's a small line towards the end when the main character is thinking to himself and says that there are only 3 bullets left, and if the time came, he would take care of everyone else and find his own way out. So I guess in a way, King had always had that ending in mind.

And apparently King wishes he had thought of Darabont's ending himself and put it in the book. I loved the entire film, btw....

Neil
09-Jul-2008, 02:13 PM
Just watched the 'Quarantine' trailer and here again we have scenes included which really are at the expense of the audience when they watch the film... Hmm...

bassman
09-Jul-2008, 03:16 PM
Ya know, I went back and watched the three trailers on The Mist DVD and none of them have the scenes you're mentioning. Then again, the UK trailers may be different from the US, but the US trailers show basically NOTHING. Just the people arguing in the store, a few quick shots of creatures, and the mist.

There is also the possibility that you watched these trailers online and caught a fan-made trailer?