PDA

View Full Version : Diary of the Dead - the HPOTD poll...

MinionZombie
12-Jul-2008, 10:48 AM
Right, it's simple - let's find out what the general feeling of HPOTD is, regarding Diary of the Dead.

Personally - I liked it.

Mike70
12-Jul-2008, 11:21 AM
i liked it as well. i don't think it is a "great" movie nor do i think that it is bad one. i think it is a good flick with some glaring flaws. as to where it fits in on my all time list, to be honest i am still mulling that one over. i've seen the other dead films countless times over the years, while i've only seen diary 3 or 4 times. my opinion of diary may very well change over time for better or for worse.

capncnut
12-Jul-2008, 01:14 PM
There should be a 'I tolerated it' option. As this was missing from the poll, I chose 'liked'.

SymphonicX
12-Jul-2008, 02:14 PM
hated

dracenstein
12-Jul-2008, 09:02 PM
I liked it.

Being a camera P.O.V. meant that a lot of stuff could not be depicted, ie, zombies feeding, small intimate moments, multiple things happening at once (the warehouse scene was the closest to this).

It did the job it set out to do, but no more than that.

3pidemiC
13-Jul-2008, 01:10 AM
Liked.

Choas
13-Jul-2008, 06:14 PM
I liked it.

clanglee
15-Jul-2008, 02:55 AM
I only chose disliked because there was no middle option. And to be contrary. :p

SRP76
15-Jul-2008, 02:58 AM
I chose "dislike", because well......because I disliked it, that's why. Can't say hate, because that's for movies that literally make me want to punch someone. Diary didn't go that far.

ProfessorChaos
15-Jul-2008, 03:36 AM
diary didn't get under my skin too much, with a few exceptions...but not many films are flawless. i chose the "liked it" option.

clanglee
15-Jul-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah, i retrospect I'd kinda like to change my vote to "liked". Really there should be an indifferent selection. But I can't say I really disliked the movie. Just didn't like it. oh man. I am a fence sitter.

Screw it. Keep my vote disliked. I really can't think of the movie without picking out its many flaws. . so i guess that means i disliked it.

mista_mo
16-Jul-2008, 11:28 AM
I liked it. It is a good film.

MinionZombie
16-Jul-2008, 04:48 PM
Interesting results, like with Land, in that those who hate it are in the minority - yet shout the loudest about it (generally speaking) - while those who like it are in the majority, yet remain satisfied enough to not have to bother going on about it a lot (generally speaking).

And no, that doesn't mean 'Land and Diary aren't worth talking about' (before anyone goes twisting my words), because again - there are still plenty of Land/Diary lovers who provide the opposing opinions in the long-winded debates that rage on, on these forums.

AcesandEights
16-Jul-2008, 06:37 PM
Right. Clearly the poll, shoved in the out of the way spot that it is, on a single website needs to be taken as the be-all, end-all authority on the matter.

Seriously man, if you like the film, that's cool. You don't need to justify it to yourself or others by creating 'evidence' that it's a worthwhile installment; no need to be all 'loud' about it ;)

clanglee
16-Jul-2008, 08:28 PM
Not to mention the fact that most of the bitterness about Diary and Land arise when you compare them to Romero's previous works. As stand alone Zombie movies the are still ahead of many of the steaming piles of crap that we zombie fans subject ourselves to. But compared to the Trilogy, they suck. I will watch, and enjoy on some level, any movie with zombies in it. Well. . .with a few exceptions (Children of the Living Dead) But many of these movies that I watch and enjoy are low budget, badly scripted, crapfests. Of course Diary and Land are better that those films. As zombie movies on the whole I would give Diary and Land both 3 or 4 stars (out of 5) depending on my mood. But compared to the first three GAR zed movies they get about a 2, maybe Land would get a 3 depending on my mood.

I can just see Bass and Minion with their constant caution about expectations now. But personally, I find lowered expecations is a boring and sad way to approach the world. ;)

bassman
16-Jul-2008, 08:42 PM
I can just see Bass and Minion with their constant caution about expectations now. But personally, I find lowered expecations is a boring and sad way to approach the world. ;)

Yo, how are you gonna call someone out that hasn't even posted in the thread?:eek:

AcesandEights
16-Jul-2008, 08:44 PM

Honestly, I didn't expect much and hoped the DVD would have hit me a bit better than the theater-going experience did, however it also failed for me in that respect. I just wanted an okay movie. *shrug*

clanglee
16-Jul-2008, 08:54 PM
Yo, how are you gonna call someone out that hasn't even posted in the thread?:eek:

:lol::lol:

Sorry Bass. I meant no offence. That's just the argument that usually pops up from you two when I make a statement like that. :p

bassman
16-Jul-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, because it's better to go into a film expecting the greatest thing since sliced bread just so you can be let down.

Actually....I broke that rule. I just thought of it today. I'm so excited about seeing the Dark Knight tomorrow that I'm afraid i'll be let down. Damn.

ProfessorChaos
16-Jul-2008, 09:04 PM
yeah bass, you're bordering on mania about this film. don't take that the wrong way, i am too, but i made myself quit reading articles about it online, watching clips, etc. i'm pretty sure that from what i've seen so far, i've got a good idea about how the story goes. i'm still pretty pumped. i was gonna check out a midnight showing after work tomorrow night, but think i should wait, cuz my gf won't be in till friday evening, and we've got tickets together, so i'd like to enjoy it with her.

Trin
16-Jul-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey, if I go to Ruth's Criss steakhouse I expect a pretty freakin good steak. I've always gotten one before and they are considered to be the bar by which a steak place is compared.

If I go to Ryan's I expect a piece of cow overcooked and thrown on a plate with a plastic fork and a knife that has no chance of cutting that tired old piece of leather.

So goes it with GAR zombie movies. The guy set the bar high and is going to be compared against it even though no one else will be.

Disliked.

DubiousComforts
16-Jul-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey, if I go to Ruth's Criss steakhouse I expect a pretty freakin good steak.
Poor analogy. The best you should expect from any steakhouse is a case of BSE. FAIL! :p

So goes it with GAR zombie movies. The guy set the bar high and is going to be compared against it even though no one else will be.

Disliked.
The way it should go with Romero living dead films is to expect the exact opposite of your expectations. It's impossible that anyone who had seen and loved NIGHT would have expected and been thrilled with DAWN when it was first released. It makes no difference how high the bar had been set and/or exceeded.

clanglee
16-Jul-2008, 10:50 PM
The way it should go with Romero living dead films is to expect the exact opposite of your expectations. It's impossible that anyone who had seen and loved NIGHT would have expected and been thrilled with DAWN when it was first released. It makes no difference how high the bar had been set and/or exceeded.

Nope, poor analogy. . .

The dead films were not a well loved franchise with only the release of Night. There was no bar.

FAIL

Trin
17-Jul-2008, 03:35 AM
Poor analogy. The best you should expect from any steakhouse is a case of BSE. FAIL! :pAw, Dubious, once again you've let me down. The flaw in my analogy is that a Ruth's Criss steak costs $30 and a Ryan's steak costs $5, whereas movie ticket prices don't fluctuate with the quality of the movie. You get what you pay for and all that. Oh well. In any case I think GAR set the bar and in recent outtings failed to clear it.

I loved Night and then really loved Dawn. I don't see how your statement about people loving Night not being able to love Dawn makes any sense at all.

And I'm very impressed by the poll results here. I'll be honest, I thought a lot of the Land polls were worded to give Land favorable results, but this poll for Diary is very objective in its wording. And still the Diary love is showing through. Congrats to Diary!!!

clanglee
17-Jul-2008, 03:38 AM
Yeah, because it's better to go into a film expecting the greatest thing since sliced bread just so you can be let down.

:D Yup, that's the one I was waiting for. :D

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2008, 09:28 AM
Seriously man, if you like the film, that's cool. You don't need to justify it to yourself or others by creating 'evidence' that it's a worthwhile installment; no need to be all 'loud' about it

I'm not justifying, I'm polling the opinion to get actual numbers down in one place to see what the over all vibe of HPOTD is, in regards to Diary.

Also, I could say the exact same thing about those who despise Land/Diary, so shaddup-ah-ya-face. :lol:

And yeah ... proper stuck out of the way ... in the Diary-specific forum, as a Sticky post. :rolleyes:

And did I ever say it was the be-all and end-all? No I didn't - it's a HPOTD poll, and like most polls ever done ever, you extrapolate the results to get a general idea of the vibe ... and the vibe is that, just like with Land, Diary is liked more than it is disliked by the members of HPOTD.

That's all the poll is here for, to find out what HPOTD folk think. Nuff said.

AcesandEights
17-Jul-2008, 02:23 PM
so shaddup-ah-ya-face. :lol:

No, you shuddaup-ah-ya-face :p

DubiousComforts
17-Jul-2008, 11:33 PM
Aw, Dubious, once again you've let me down.
So solly! :D

I loved Night and then really loved Dawn. I don't see how your statement about people loving Night not being able to love Dawn makes any sense at all.
You have to put yourself back in the mid-70s when NIGHT was the only game in town and the only other movie that it could be compared to was PSYCHO. I was initially "disappointed" in DAWN until I quickly got over the fact that it wasn't NIGHT 2. Once I could appreciate it for what it was and not what I expected it to be based on the previous film, I loved it. I learned my lesson well and immediately loved DAY.

DIARY and LAND are good movies, just not as spectacular as the first three. LAND is simply too much of a studio picture, while my personal jury is still out on DIARY.

Andy
17-Jul-2008, 11:43 PM
I Liked it, it seems the majority here have too.. it is good to see GAR back to original formula so i rank it higher than land, but no-where near the original trilogy.

clanglee
18-Jul-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm not justifying, I'm polling the opinion to get actual numbers down in one place to see what the over all vibe of HPOTD is, in regards to Diary.

Also, I could say the exact same thing about those who despise Land/Diary, so shaddup-ah-ya-face. :lol:

And yeah ... proper stuck out of the way ... in the Diary-specific forum, as a Sticky post. :rolleyes:

And did I ever say it was the be-all and end-all? No I didn't - it's a HPOTD poll, and like most polls ever done ever, you extrapolate the results to get a general idea of the vibe ... and the vibe is that, just like with Land, Diary is liked more than it is disliked by the members of HPOTD.

That's all the poll is here for, to find out what HPOTD folk think. Nuff said.

I don't think there has been any doubt that Diary has been well received by most of the folks here on HPOTD. You can just look at the previous sticky poll to see that.

Still, opinions differ. . and everyone has one. And this movie is still controvercial as hell, even the people that liked the movie overall can point out the flaws, It's just that those of us that didn't much like the movie could not get past the flaws. . I guess we are an unforgiving bunch. :D

And once again. . I didn't hate the movie. . I just didn't like it as much as I should have. :|

Trin
21-Jul-2008, 03:07 PM
My personal opinion is that this poll is a symptom of the general lowering of standards among movie-goers. Diary has a list of flaws that few people would argue, and yet it is still well liked.

And I'm not just calling out Diary, or GAR, on this. Look at Dawn 2004, or I Am Legend, or 28 Weeks Later. They all have major plot cracks. All favor special effects over plot.

I'm not saying that the people here who liked the movie shouldn't have - it's your opinion after all. But keep in mind that Hollywood isn't going to offer up anything better as long as people are willing to continue to suck down the crap.

Bub666
23-Jul-2008, 12:43 AM
I liked Diary.It's better then most of the new zombie movies out their.

axlish
23-Jul-2008, 04:28 AM
I love it. I didn't want to, or even expect to, but it pulled me in and certain aspects of the film really sank in with me. Bring on Diary 2, but without the first person perspective. I want to see what happens to Texas and Debra, easily to two sexiest broads ever in a Romero dead film.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Jul-2008, 11:15 PM
I liked it better than LAND, and we all know how much I hate that POS.

EvilNed
23-Jul-2008, 11:39 PM
I strongly disliked it. I had just seen 28 Weeks Later and [REC], two films that were excellent. So, this film coming from Romero, my hopes were not low, as you can imagine. Turned out I couldn't find much about it I liked. All the characters were so lame.

carpetbeggar
02-Aug-2008, 04:09 AM
I really hated it. It may grow on me though as I only finished watching it for the first time about twenty minutes ago.

capncnut
02-Aug-2008, 06:55 PM
I tolerated it, thought it was okay, had one or two decent kills but it is too far removed from the zombie movies that I grew up with and worship today. I'm not sure about anyone else but I actually found it boring in parts...

...but like I said, it was okay.

EvilNed
02-Aug-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm gonna give it another chance tonight, but I doubt my opinion will change much.

capncnut
02-Aug-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm gonna give it another chance tonight, but I doubt my opinion will change much.
I did the same thing two days ago and no, my opinion didn't change. :D

Zombie Snack
03-Aug-2008, 06:31 PM
I chose disliked....only because there was no tolerated or blah, bland, middle of the road, okay choice...I just didnt care after watching the DVD twice...I just didnt care if I watched it again. It wasnt terrible, it wasnt great, very little to really like, maybe a tad bit more to dislike...I give it a 2.5 out of 5

darth los
08-Aug-2008, 01:51 PM
liked

glazedoverdead
10-Sep-2008, 12:38 AM
Diary was total crap! I chose disl:mad:ike rather than hate for the simple fact that it was made by the great Romero, but this film was aweful. I thought I would like the no name actors in the film, but they were soooo bad at acting that I simply couldn't believe them and get into the film. But even worse was the ****ty dialogue and screenplay. The plot was and great I loved the entire concept of the story. It could have worked if someone else wrote the dialogue for the characters and they actually found some kids who could act a little. Crapola! I was so excited when I bought this DVD from the great Romero, but I was so let down at the end of the film...

bassman
10-Sep-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm having trouble reading your "review"(?). Doesn't quite make sense....

Bub666
10-Sep-2008, 01:37 AM
Diary was total crap! I chose disl:mad:ike rather than hate for the simple fact that it was made by the great Romero, but this film was aweful. I thought I would like the no name actors in the film, but they were soooo bad at acting that I simply couldn't believe them and get into the film. But even worse was the ****ty dialogue and screenplay. The plot was and great I loved the entire concept of the story. It could have worked if someone else wrote the dialogue for the characters and they actually found some kids who could act a little. Crapola! I was so excited when I bought this DVD from the great Romero, but I was so let down at the end of the film...

:confused:

glazedoverdead
10-Sep-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm having trouble reading your "review"(?). Doesn't quite make sense....

OK so...what?! Did i post this in the wrong forum or something? Been a while since I been on here. What don't you understand about my "review"?:rolleyes:

Update: Ok, so I went back and realized my "review" or opinions could have gone in the "review" postings. So sorry to inconvenience you. But...Please tell me what doesn't make sense to you? The fact that you disagree with me so therefor you felt like making a sarcastic comment about my post? Regardless, the movie was crap...Is that plain enough for you?

lullubelle
25-Sep-2008, 12:29 AM
It's not that I hate it I just did not like it, It's diffrent I may have to see it acouple of times like I did with Land so I can judge better, but I dont think it's going to improve much or that anyone who did not like it is going to remotely warm up to it.:skull:

darth los
03-Oct-2008, 03:41 AM
It's not that I hate it I just did not like it, It's diffrent I may have to see it acouple of times like I did with Land so I can judge better, but I dont think it's going to improve much or that anyone who did not like it is going to remotely warm up to it.:skull:

In order to judge a film properly you need to view it a couple of times first. I know that I always discover a few things that i missed the first time around.

:cool: