PDA

View Full Version : Off to see the Lord Of the Rings stage version tonight...

Neil
18-Jul-2008, 03:03 PM
...not expecting much 'theatre', but plenty of extravigance :)

3hrs long :eek:

AcesandEights
18-Jul-2008, 09:02 PM
What? :rockbrow:

There's really such a thing? I suppose that could be cool if it follows the literary sources more precisely than the film. Not that the films are bad, but I think that more attention to the source material would lend a stage performance an added reason for being and give the audience a bit of a change up.

Neil
19-Jul-2008, 11:22 AM
It was broken into three parts...

The first part was great - real hairs up on the back of you neck stuff at times... The next two parts were not so good (for me)...

The battle sequences were by far the weakest bits I found with them simply trying too hard...

The women who played Galadriel and Arwen were utterly fantastic. Their voices were fabulous!

EDIT: AHA! Turns out for the final month, some of the regular cast did not renew their contracts, so their under-studies were used. This explains why (IMHO) Frodo, Aragorn, Elrond and Gandalf were not quite as good as they could have been! I thought they felt a little 'washy'!

bassman
21-Jul-2008, 02:00 PM
Ouch. So you're watching three hours of walking....live? Sorry to hear that, man.:p

Neil
21-Jul-2008, 02:04 PM
Ouch. So you're watching three hours of walking....live? Sorry to hear that, man.:p

LOL! Actually on that note the stage was very clever and could raise and rotate in sections...

So - you'll be interested in this bit - they could walk, and go up and down, while on the same spot... :)

Glad I saw, it, but I suspect it would have been better without the stand-in cast members...