PDA

View Full Version : A remake too far? - Let's Do The Time Warp Again (Again)!!

Neil
24-Jul-2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37601

Mike70
24-Jul-2008, 11:50 AM
argh. the fu*king rocky horror picture show is my least fav movie ever. period. that is the stupidest, most idiotic film of all time. i'd rather sit through an uwe boll marathon than watch that piece of garbage one time through.

i saw rocky horror about 20 years ago at the skywalk in cincinnati. i think i still have the mental scars.

capncnut
24-Jul-2008, 11:56 AM
Normally I would be against this kind of thing but the stage version of The Rocky Horror Show has more line-up changes than a football team. It could be kinda fun but this quote bothers me.

Two-hour remake will use the original screenplay by Jim Sharman and Richard O'Brien but may also include music not featured in the original.

New songs? Erm, no. Why would anyone use the story but change the songs that made the musical such a success in the first place? What next? Grease? with new songs about Ferrari's and Lambo's? Don't think so...

...and they will never find a better Frank-N-Furter than Tim Curry. NEVER!

EvilNed
24-Jul-2008, 01:17 PM
argh. the fu*king rocky horror picture show is my least fav movie ever. period. that is the stupidest, most idiotic film of all time. i'd rather sit through an uwe boll marathon than watch that piece of garbage one time through.

Wow, really? I loved it. Hear that Neil? ;)

It's without a doubt my favourite musical ever. I don't mind a remake. I'm not forced to watching it, after all. And in reality, it's not really a remake, it's just another adaption of it for the screen.

capncnut
24-Jul-2008, 01:21 PM
It's without a doubt my favourite musical ever.
I have to agree with this comment 100%. Not only is the story a great homage to weirded out 50's sci-fi classics but the songs are absolutely wonderful. It's possible that I might know the musical word for word...

So who's the new Furter? Marilyn Manson?

zombie04
24-Jul-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, it can't be any worse than Shock Treatment. A remake I can understand, even if it is a bit unnecessary, but that sequel was just terrible!

Mike70
24-Jul-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow, really? I loved it. Hear that Neil? ;)

It's without a doubt my favourite musical ever. I don't mind a remake. I'm not forced to watching it, after all. And in reality, it's not really a remake, it's just another adaption of it for the screen.

well to each his own i guess. rocky horror is one of the worst movies ever in my book.

capncnut
24-Jul-2008, 01:47 PM
Well, it can't be any worse than Shock Treatment. A remake I can understand, even if it is a bit unnecessary, but that sequel was just terrible!
Don't say that to some of those crazy kids on the RHS forums, they will tear a person to shreds for such a 'blasphemy'. :lol:

But yeah, it was pretty cack.

Neil
24-Jul-2008, 01:54 PM
well to each his own i guess. rocky horror is one of the worst movies ever in my book.

Dammit Janet!

I think the sequel was suppose to be rather bad, no matter what you thought of the first one...

Bub666
24-Jul-2008, 04:22 PM
This just goes to show you their remake anything,no matter how bad the original is.

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2008, 06:42 PM
Waaaaaggghhhh! Leave it alone Hollywood, just leave it be.

Guaranteed, the remake WON'T be as good as the original, or anywhere near as good. I've only seen it once, but I thought it was very good. In fact, I got my mum the DVD for mother's day - she's a big fan of it, saw it in South Africa before (and after) the authorities banned it (they eventually unbanned it).

Stop the remakes! Won't somebody please think of the children!

Danny
24-Jul-2008, 06:57 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/chris-crocker.jpg

LEAVE IT ALONE!

*ahem*

its my SECOND favorite musical, to south park the movie. but still bitchin' and no one else can ever outdo what the creepy mother ****er tim curry does with a role.

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2008, 07:38 PM
Tim Curry terrifies the poopy out of me in that movie. :D

capncnut
24-Jul-2008, 08:43 PM
Tim Curry terrifies the poopy out of me in that movie. :D
Imagine being trapped in an elevator with the f**ker. :stunned:

I think it's the overbearing horsey grin that makes him such a scary character.

SRP76
24-Jul-2008, 08:57 PM
argh. the fu*king rocky horror picture show is my least fav movie ever. period. that is the stupidest, most idiotic film of all time.

I agree. Although there's always competition for worst of all-time, this movie is definitely a lot like hitting your dick with a hammer.

So it should be obvious that I will not be seeing the remake.

bassman
24-Jul-2008, 09:37 PM
My wife LOVES the original Rocky Horror. I enjoy it, but I don't hold a candle next to her. And on the other hand, she doesn't hold a candle to the people that dress up for it, go crazy, and all that crap.

Anyway, I've watched RHPS many times and I've always enjoyed it. Then she made me watch Shock Treatment. WTF, man?!? I can see that he's trying to create a total different feel from the first film, but it just doesn't work.

So the same goes for this remake. Imo, the first(play & movie) was probably a case of being hit by lightening. And we all know that it won't strike in the same place twice. There's something "in the air" about RHPS. I don't know what it is because I'm not a hardcore fan, but it feels to me that it's one of those times that the pieces just came together, the planets re-aligned, and they turned a bullsh*t story into something that could last for generations.

Shock Treatment couldn't do it. A remake won't do it. And I won't.....pay for it.:sneaky:

capncnut
24-Jul-2008, 09:56 PM
So the same goes for this remake. Imo, the first(play & movie) was probably a case of being hit by lightening.
Then again if Richard O'Brien was on board, it might retain a little something. For some reason I can see Tim Curry playing the narrator...

Neil
13-Aug-2008, 11:33 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7558091.stm

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 11:46 PM
I mentioned this to a friend who then hipped me to the following quote from Ecclesiates 1, verse 9 & 10

9. What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

10. Is there anything of which one can say,
"Look! This is something new"?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

I am no holy roller and am barely Buddhist, but I thought this was applicable here in this context.

Neil
14-Aug-2008, 07:54 AM
Richard O'Brien isn't involved - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7559471.stm

bassman
14-Aug-2008, 11:50 AM
Looks like we have another dawn remake on our hands. "screw the original's creator - what does he know?!?":rolleyes:

Then again....he did give the world Shock Treatment.:stunned:

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2008, 11:56 AM
It's such a stupid idea to remake it, the original is so of it's time, of the way it was released, of the way it came out, of the way it was received by the audiences and so on.

New audiences seeing a new movie just aren't going to replicate that success and obsession, just let people discover the original film, rather than trying to perpetuate a throw away culture of idiots who discard a movie once it's 20 or so years old.

F*cking stupid, essentially saying that new viewers are incapable of discovering old movies - erm, Dawn 78 came out 6 years before I was born, I discovered it and Romero via a BBC2 documentary on the horror genre, and an article in SFX magazine in 1997 ... wasn't that hard really was it?

F*ckin' suits, I tell thee...

bassman
14-Aug-2008, 12:03 PM
The film is always being screened at midnight showings. So what they SHOULD do is re-release the original film and promote the hell out of it. Kind of like they did with Alien and The Exorcist a few years back.

There's this theater here in Atlanta that plays the original every friday night and it's packed every week. If they released the film on a larger scale, it would make the suits alot of money(because that's all they want) and it would introduce the film to a new generation...

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2008, 12:06 PM
The film is always being screened at midnight showings. So what they SHOULD do is re-release the original film and promote the hell out of it. Kind of like they did with Alien and The Exorcist a few years back.

There's this theater here in Atlanta that plays the original every friday night and it's packed every week. If they released the film on a larger scale, it would make the suits alot of money(because that's all they want) and it would introduce the film to a new generation...
Exactly - a lot cheaper than doing a remake, and a lot more admirable too.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Aug-2008, 12:46 PM
Why does this movie need to be remade. It is a cult genre film, with a small but loyal following, and like a poster on the previous page mentioned, lightning will not strike twice or even a third time.

Something with the appeal and magic of RHPS, although I don't find it appealing or magical, cannot be captured again.

Its kind of like Grease and Grease 2. It just didn't work the second time around.

bassman
14-Aug-2008, 12:59 PM
I was just thinking....musicals are making a bit of a comeback aren't they? Sweeny Todd, Repo: The Genetic Opera is coming out soon, and now a Rocky Horror remake.

I'm kind of looking forward to Repo: The Genetic Opera now. It looks extremely weird and gothic, but it's got my attention. And it's got some good talent behind it, as well. (although I'm kinda worried that Paris Hilton is someone thrown into the mix.:stunned:)

Edit: better trailer..
l8A6lZpdwmU&hl=en&fs=1

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2008, 01:01 PM
Somehow I don't think the sort of people who wanna hump High School Musical, will be bothered about Rocky Horror. :rockbrow:

DjfunkmasterG
14-Aug-2008, 01:43 PM
Repo, looks like a Musical Sin City. I may have to check this out as I am huge fan of Sin City.

bassman
14-Aug-2008, 03:21 PM
Repo, looks like a Musical Sin City. I may have to check this out as I am huge fan of Sin City.

Musical Sin City? How did you come to that connection? I don't see it, really.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Aug-2008, 03:22 PM
From the trailer.

In other news, original RHPS creator not pleased about remake

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0550833/

bassman
14-Aug-2008, 03:42 PM
From the trailer.

Thanks for that in depth explanation, Gary,:lol:

I wonder if this remake would be rated R or if they would tone it down to PG13. Most likely the latter, unfortunately.

This has disaster written all over it.:dead:

capncnut
14-Aug-2008, 05:08 PM
In other news, original RHPS creator not pleased about remake.
Can't say I blame him really, I think it's a disgrace to go ahead without even bothering to consult him.

But again, if MTV cast it right, it might be okay.

bassman
14-Aug-2008, 05:19 PM
But again, if MTV cast it right, it might be okay.

Let's review this statement. If MTV casts it right? MTV? MT f*ckin V? Are you serious???

Riff Raff would be Ashton Kutcher, Frankenfurter would be Nick Cannon, and Magenta would be Tila Tequila.

MTV will never do these characters justice...

Mike70
14-Aug-2008, 05:37 PM
i don't know if this info has been put up already (i'm too lazy to look). if so, i apologize.

the creator of the original doesn't seem to thrilled about this remake and says he didn't even know about it until people started sending him clippings about it.

14 August 2008 5:01 AM, PDT
A remake of cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show has been slammed by its creator Richard O'Brien.

The original 1975 film, starring Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Meat Loaf, was a cult hit for O'Brien and MTV bosses are keen to replicate its success.

But the Brit won't be involved - and is not happy the remake is going ahead without him.

He says, "I have no view on whether it should be remade but it doesn't have my blessing.

"I'm not co-producing it and I won't be involved in any way. The first I heard about it was when people sent me cuttings from U.S. papers."