PDA

View Full Version : References to GAR's DOTD, NOLD, etc.

Yojimbo
26-Jul-2008, 02:33 AM
I did a search (not that extensive so forgive me if this has been covered) and did not see a thread in which references to DAWN & NIGHT (by GAR) in films, TV Shows and other media were listed, so I am starting this thread.

This actually stems from a discussion I had with my wife (and fellow zombie freak) after we saw an episode about avocados on"Good Eats" a cooking show hosted by Alton Brown, this dude that reminds me of a duck for some reason. There was a scene in which he was extolling the health virtues of avocados while behind him in a window were a gaggle of doctors who were clawing at the window, NOLD & DOTD style, while moaning in zombie fashion. Obviously this was inspired by Romero's films.

We started to talk about other references; there was an episode of "Grounded for Life" where one of the characters, out of the blue, asks the other "Did you ever see that movie Dawn of the Dead?" and the other brother looks at him strangely and they continue their conversation on an unrelated topic.

So please, if you have a Dawn or Night reference, please add it to this thread!

Mike70
26-Jul-2008, 02:43 AM
a couple that jump to mind - the opening sequence of halloween II has NOTLD playing on tv.

there is a simpsons halloween episode where bart causes the dead to walk zombie style.

then there is the house of pain song "jump around" that has a line that goes something like "put out head then you wake up in dawn of the dead"

clanglee
26-Jul-2008, 02:44 AM
The movie Waxworks 2. There is a whole scene where they warp into a mall filled with zombies. During the swordfight. It was pretty funny.

capncnut
26-Jul-2008, 02:46 AM
Night Of The Living Dead makes an appearance in Sid And Nancy, when Sid Vicious (played by Gary Oldman) is recovering in hospital and is watching Cooper toss out the cocktails on a television set.

Bub666
26-Jul-2008, 02:47 AM
On er a few years ago John Leguizamo made a reference abouy NOLD.But I can't remember what he said.

capncnut
26-Jul-2008, 02:59 AM
If Day Of The Dead is allowed then there is a movie from the eighties called Home Front with Jon Cryer. It's about a lad who is obsessive about horror films and his parent's attempts to change him. It has untold GAR references in it and there's even a scene which shows two characters going to a GAR signing.

There's one bit that I remember well where the lad's mom picks him up to whisk him home in a helicopter - the whole scene was very similar to the opening of Day, even down to the tropical-type music.

bassman
26-Jul-2008, 03:34 AM
A rare one that comes to mind is a Cap'n Crunch(cereal) commercial. The capn is driving a truck(all in B&W) to a house in the middle of nowhere and all the "zombies" are saying "peanut buttaaaah".

Strange ad, but I've always remebered it.

clanglee
26-Jul-2008, 03:34 AM
If Day Of The Dead is allowed then there is a movie from the eighties called Home Front with Jon Cryer. It's about a lad who is obsessive about horror films and his parent's attempts to change him. It has untold GAR references in it and there's even a scene which shows two characters going to a GAR signing.

There's one bit that I remember well where the lad's mom picks him up to whisk him home in a helicopter - the whole scene was very similar to the opening of Day, even down to the tropical-type music.

Dude , I loved that movie!!!

I miss the Jon Cryer of old. What ever happened to the Duck Man.

capncnut
26-Jul-2008, 04:03 AM
Yeah, me too. Was it ever released on DVD, I wonder?

Also, from the Duck Man comment, I get the impression that you're a fan of the brat pack movies. :D

clanglee
26-Jul-2008, 04:11 AM
Also, from the Duck Man comment, I get the impression that you're a fan of the brat pack movies. :D

Yeah, guilty pleasue.

Minerva_Zombi
26-Jul-2008, 06:02 AM
In Tales From The Darkside The Movie. Right before the yuppie is killed by the mummy, he is watching Dawn.

And in the upcoming Kevin Smith film, There is a hockey team called the Monroeville Zombies. lol

SymphonicX
26-Jul-2008, 10:17 AM
Slipknot has an intro to a song that's Miguel Salazar saying "is anyone there??" from Day of the Dead

Tom Savini was in The Simpsons and there was a Dawn reference.

Dead Rising was a complete reference to Dawn of the Dead....haha

in Beetlejuice, Winona Ryder asks the dead couple: "are you Night of the Living Dead under there" (in reference to the white sheets they were wearing)

in Resident Evil, the last shot in the movie is a reference to Day of the Dead

I think we all know about the Gorillaz references to Romero movies in their songs....

Shaun of the Dead - need I say more? "we're coming to get you barbara" and Foree Electronics, among many other things including music soundbytes and whatnot.

Dawn of the Dead 04 references the name "Dawn of the Dead" but that's about as far as it goes...

Ditto for Day of the Dead 08....

Night of the Living Dead 30th Anniversary Edition seems to mention Night of the Living Dead somewhere in the movie, but I was too busy taking the piss out of the crappy scenes that surrounded it to notice anything to do with Romero or zombies or even the original Night of the Living Dead....

jim102016
26-Jul-2008, 04:27 PM

I miss the Jon Cryer of old. What ever happened to the Duck Man.

That's a great movie, exactly what I thought of when I saw the title of this threat. Some sharp minds are awake today!

sandrock74
26-Jul-2008, 05:41 PM
I was reading a novel based on the X-Men and in one scene, the Beast (Hank McCoy) is hiding in a room from people out to get him. He barricades the door and as he makes his escape, he glances over his shoulder and sees the mob outside is breaking down the door and reaching thru and clawing at the air. He thought that it reminded him of a George Romero movie!

Yojimbo
29-Jul-2008, 04:59 PM
Found another one: Night of the Comet not only has a scene in a department store that is dawn inspired, but at the beginning of the film the lead female is making out with her boyfriend, a projectionist, and while they are doing it in the projection booth in the background we can hear the soundtrack from Dawn of the Dead (the trucks scene I believe)