PDA

View Full Version : an i am legend prequel?

Mike70
30-Jul-2008, 01:59 PM
yes you read that right. will smith is set to comeback as neville in a prequel movie.

neil, can you give the congregation an oh, dear!?

Smith To Resurrect I Am Legend
30 July 2008 5:04 AM, PDT

Will Smith is to revive his role in futuristic action movie I Am Legend for a prequel.

Director Francis Lawrence has confirmed he is working on a follow-up to the hit 2007 film and Smith's character Dr. Robert Neville will return to complete the beginning of the story.

Lawrence says, "Absolutely (there will be a prequel), we're actually trying to crack that. We're trying to figure out some ideas for it, but yes, it would be a prequel."

And the moviemaker insists that filming the follow-up will be much easier than working on the original, because the crew will not have to shut off large areas of New York City again - a move that sparked chaos among commuters and city workers.

He adds, "The first time you go out there and shut down 6th Avenue, it's like, 'How are we going to do this day after day after day?' But by the end, it's just like you know how to do it.

"You got the PAs (personal assistants) who know how to shut it down, how to let the traffic through in between set-ups and you just sort of get the routine down, so that's not the issue."

ugh.

AcesandEights
30-Jul-2008, 02:06 PM
Yup, only one of Neil's catchphrase can encapsulate the collecting sense of awe, tinged with incredulity that this news leaves so many of us with.

Lay one on us, Neil!

Neil
30-Jul-2008, 02:10 PM
Oh dear!

If ever there was a film looking for a reason to be made this is it surely...

Hopefully I'm totally wrong, but what is this film going to explore?

Surely this cannot be true? Now, gimme Hancock 2! I seem to be one of the few people who really enjoyed it :)

Mike70
30-Jul-2008, 02:22 PM
Oh dear!

If ever there was a film looking for a reason to be made this is it surely...

Hopefully I'm totally wrong, but what is this film going to explore?

Surely this cannot be true? Now, gimme Hancock 2! I seem to be one of the few people who really enjoyed it :)

a number of places are picking this story up and since this seems to be coming from the director, it is probably for real. now whether this film is ever made is another story entirely.

AcesandEights
30-Jul-2008, 02:29 PM
Oh dear!

That's the ticket.

Now, gimme Hancock 2! I seem to be one of the few people who really enjoyed it :)

Really? I seem to remember HPotD reviews being pretty favorable. Personally, there was no way I was going to see Hancock.

With regards to a prequel to I am Legend, there is only one reason it would be made, and it's not because of an outcry by the fans of the film or a deep seated need by the creators of the film to tell the full story. It's a cheap, hollow attempt to milk money from cache garnered from the first film, which was largely based off the stockpile of notoriety and appreciation built by the book and the earlier films based off of it.

I shudder at the very idea of this film becoming a 'franchise.' But, then doesn't every semi-successful film turn into a franchise now? :rolleyes:

Neil
30-Jul-2008, 02:46 PM
That's the ticket.

Really? I seem to remember HPotD reviews being pretty favorable. Personally, there was no way I was going to see Hancock.

With regards to a prequel to I am Legend, there is only one reason it would be made, and it's not because of an outcry by the fans of the film or a deep seated need by the creators of the film to tell the full story. It's a cheap, hollow attempt to milk money from cache garnered from the first film, which was largely based off the stockpile of notoriety and appreciation built by the book and the earlier films based off of it.

I shudder at the very idea of this film becoming a 'franchise.' But, then doesn't every semi-successful film turn into a franchise now? :rolleyes:
I have no problem with a massive budget apocalyptic film, as long as it's done well. 'I Am Legend' was somewhat meh for me...

MinionZombie
30-Jul-2008, 03:53 PM
You know what they need to do instead?

Read the book, then make THAT into a movie.

MikePizzoff
30-Jul-2008, 04:34 PM
So they're not shutting down any parts of the city for filming... I assume this means the majority of the story will take place BEFORE the outbreak. Wow, that sounds exciting... :bored:

bassman
30-Jul-2008, 04:40 PM
This is a great idea! After this is finished, they should make a prequel to Armageddon!

:barf:

Bub666
30-Jul-2008, 09:38 PM
How about a prequel to The day after tommorrow.

Neil
30-Jul-2008, 09:40 PM
This is a great idea! After this is finished, they should make a prequel to Armageddon!

:barf:

OK! You win comment of the day with that one :):lol:

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2008, 10:33 AM
How about a prequel to The day after tommorrow.
:lol:

It'd just be "Tomorrow", or like the South Park chaps did, "two days before the day after tomorrow" or something like that. :D

God that movie was stoopid. :p

Legion2213
31-Jul-2008, 06:19 PM
If this is 90 minutes worth of the collapse of civilisation I'll buy into it. I enjoyed the original movie as well.

MoonSylver
31-Jul-2008, 10:47 PM

Bingo. That would be GOOD though, so of COURSE no one wants to do THAT.:mad:

I can't think of anything that I could give a f*ck less about that a PREQUEL to the lame a$$ film version.

tkane18
01-Aug-2008, 05:31 PM
What are they going to call it?

I Will Be Legend?

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2008, 05:37 PM
What are they going to call it?

I Will Be Legend?
I Am One Of Six Billion

Neil
25-Sep-2008, 08:02 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/I-Am-Legend-Prequel-On-The-Way-10318.html
&
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992822.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

OK, so the Will Smith film missed the mark somewhat (in a number of areas), but maybe a prequel might work? If they just concentrate on giving us more interest and depth in the infected, rather than stupid over blown unbelievable effects!

MinionZombie
25-Sep-2008, 09:29 AM
Ugh ... colour me not bothered. :sneaky:

Prequel - purely an excuse to make money in a 'franchise' that is incapable of a sequel...although you never know, whats'ername and kiddywink and all those people in that survivor's place (i.e. Will Smith is not legend, but rather minority - as in human race being a minority :lol:), could have a massive ruck with loads of explosions and computers doing a lot of leg work and then finish it all off with a blast of "ooh-wah-ah-ah-ah" ... how about that? I Was Legend, coming 2010...:p

Bub666
25-Sep-2008, 11:26 AM
If they just concentrate on giving us more interest and depth in the infected, rather than stupid over blown unbelievable effects!

I agree.If they can go into more details about the infected and how it all started,it might be a good movie.

Mike70
25-Sep-2008, 12:04 PM
this is old news broski:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=11293&referrerid=286

NOTE FROM MODERATOR - Threads merged

MikePizzoff
25-Sep-2008, 02:03 PM
Can't... suppress... rebirth of... RAGE!!!

Craig
25-Sep-2008, 03:44 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Bub666
25-Sep-2008, 11:08 PM

Yeah,thats what they should do.But will they?No,because that would be the best way to make the movie.And we all know that Hollywood refuses to make good movies anymore.

acealive1
26-Sep-2008, 01:08 AM
maybe we will finally see the helicopter crash that was teased through out the whole movie

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2008, 06:49 AM
Yeah,thats what they should do.But will they?No,because that would be the best way to make the movie.And we all know that Hollywood refuses to make good movies anymore.
:lol:

At least a big chunk of Hollywood anyway - the chunk that has the cash to splash on such large projects anyway. Seriously, I saw the movie, then read the original book - and the book was a million miles better, and wouldn't have been hard to adapt and had plenty of action in it too.

I really do wonder what these Hollywood adapting writers think most of the time...:eek:

EvilNed
26-Sep-2008, 10:53 AM
The original film has grown on me. Mostly because of Will Smith's, in my opinion, stellar acting and the direction the director took to a very serious tone.

Of course, one of the most prevalent themes in the film is still "Will Smith drives fast", but hey.

Neil
26-Sep-2008, 10:57 AM
The original film has grown on me. Mostly because of Will Smith's, in my opinion, stellar acting and the direction the director took to a very serious tone.

Of course, one of the most prevalent themes in the film is still "Will Smith drives fast", but hey.

The biggest issue with that film for me was the unecessarily over the top CGI'd infected! Just absolutely blew it :(

Bub666
26-Sep-2008, 11:25 AM
The biggest issue with that film for me was the unecessarily over the top CGI'd infected! Just absolutely blew it :(

Yeah,I hate it when they over use CGI.When I watch a movie and they have way too mush CGI in it,it completely ruins the movie for me.

I really do wonder what these Hollywood adapting writers think most of the time...:eek:

Thats the problem,they're not thinking.They only care about how much money they can make.

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2008, 12:58 PM
With I Am Legend, as well as the absolutely awful CGI beasties, the entire film was raped of all quality when the woman and her kid show up ... LAAAAAAAME from then on out.

Up to that point it was fairly Hollywood, but pretty decent ... then it showered a bucket of three-day old lame all over itself and bit down on a fat dose of fail.

EvilNed
26-Sep-2008, 01:12 PM

I agree with that. Apparently they used live action people on set, but found that they didn't run realistically when they had to run barefoot, so they turned them into CGI in post-production.

My question is, why not just have them run with sandals, and then take away the sandals with CGI?

Mike70
26-Sep-2008, 03:59 PM
the thing that bothers me about the will smith film is that one of the main themes of the book is totally absent. the new species (for want of a better term) of human that has arisen out of the ashes is nowhere to be seen. that is what makes neville a "legend" because he has become their boogyman, the thing they will frighten their children with for years on end. also, how neville as the last gasp of our speices has become irrelevant, in fact become dangerous, in the new scheme of things.

that is what gives the book its power and it is completely lost in the latest film version.

Yojimbo
26-Sep-2008, 07:29 PM

:lol: 10 points to Minon!

BTW: Am I the only one sick of Will Smith?

Bub666
26-Sep-2008, 07:32 PM
Am I the only one sick of Will Smith?

I agree,I'am sick of Will Smith too.He's not that good of an actor.

Yojimbo
26-Sep-2008, 07:33 PM
the thing that bothers me about the will smith film is that one of the main themes of the book is totally absent. the new species (for want of a better term) of human that has arisen out of the ashes is nowhere to be seen. that is what makes neville a "legend" because he has become their boogyman, the thing they will frighten their children with for years on end. also, how neville as the last gasp of our speices has become irrelevant, in fact become dangerous, in the new scheme of things.

that is what gives the book its power and it is completely lost in the latest film version.

Precisely. I kind of recall some lame piece of dialogue, probably from the dark haired girl with the kid, which attempted - rather impotently - to tie in the title of the movie.

Bub666
26-Sep-2008, 07:37 PM
Precisely. I kind of recall some lame piece of dialogue, probably from the dark haired girl with the kid, which attempted - rather impotently - to tie in the title of the movie.

Yeah,I think she says it right at the end of the movie.

Mike70
26-Sep-2008, 08:05 PM
BTW: Am I the only one sick of Will Smith?

no. i got sick of will smith in '99.

i'm not down with the willenium.

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not sick of Will Smith, I do find the foot-kissing that followers of his do. Just shut up and let his acting sit centre stage.

Will Smith is capable of really good acting, and has shown it in many films, as well as being a provider of entertainment.

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not sick of Will Smith, I do find the foot-kissing that followers of his do. Just shut up and let his acting sit centre stage.

Will Smith is capable of really good acting, and has shown it in many films, as well as being a provider of entertainment.

bassman
26-Sep-2008, 08:40 PM

I agree. If he were to take on better roles like Six Degrees of Seperation, Pursuit of Happyness, etc, he could become one of the greatest actors of this generation.

Instead he does throw away flicks like Hancock, I Robot, I Am Legend, etc. That's not to say those arent entertaining....he's just capable of better things.