PDA

View Full Version : Generation Kill

kidgloves
01-Aug-2008, 09:23 PM
http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/

Any of our friends from across the pond (and resourceful UK people) watching this excellent HBO series. Its a Band of Brothers like take on the invasion of Iraq. Not too preachy on the politics front. Just Marines doing their jobs and getting on with it. Very impressive writing, acting and direction. It has a Jarhead feel to it as well but is much much better.
With his and House of Saddam (HBO/BBC) now showing on BBC2, there seems to be some good Iraq related drama at last.
HBO and Showtime are definately my first port of call when looking for new shows to invest my time in. I remember the days when C4 used to be like these stations. How times have changed eh.

Bub666
02-Aug-2008, 04:04 AM
I've been watching this show,and it is great.

MikePizzoff
02-Aug-2008, 07:11 PM
Just watched the first episode the other night. Extremely well written, directed, and acted. I really enjoy the fact that there isn't a shred of music in the show at all (at least in the first episode there wasn't), so it added to the realism and intensity at times. Listening to how racist a couple of those guys are is a little sickening, but it's reality.

I definitely recommend this show to anybody.

I was told it's just going to be a mini-series, a la Band Of Brothers; is this true?

ProfessorChaos
04-Aug-2008, 06:12 PM
as a fomrmer Marine who's done a tour in iraq, i love this show. i've tuned in for every episode and re-watched each of them at least once. the key military adviser, eric kocher, later did a couple of more tours, one with 1st recon again, then he stayed for another tour with 2d recon, which is the battallion i was assigned to. i met him, and he's a real cool dude. he and a few other guys who were there can be seen on the behind the scenes clips they show sometimes. their input and experiences have made this show so accurate it's unbelievable. i can't recall how many times we'd be on patrol for hours on end, singing all kinds of songs, even really silly ones like they do on the show. the weaponry, gear, vehicles, and environments area all so dead-on that it brings me right back to all the times i was there.

btw, it's a 7-part series...i hope they put it out in a great dvd box set with loads of extras:D

oh yeah, the book is really good, too. i've read it once, but have started to re-read it since the series kicked off. i just picked up "one bullet away' by nathan fick, the lt. for bravo-2 during the invasion.