PDA

View Full Version : "Toxins In Soil May Mean No Life On Mars"

MikePizzoff
05-Aug-2008, 04:12 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/08/04/nasa.mars/index.html

But, at least the length of the mission is being extended, even if only until the very most November.

sandrock74
05-Aug-2008, 05:28 PM
I think it was foolish to think we could grow food on the surface of Mars. We are talking about a whole other planet after all! Who knows what would end up in any food that is grown there?

SRP76
05-Aug-2008, 05:48 PM
I think it was foolish to think we could grow food on the surface of Mars. We are talking about a whole other planet after all! Who knows what would end up in any food that is grown there?

Not to mention how useless it would be. Spend a billion dollars just to go get a crop of peas. Sorry, but I don't want to pay $500 a can for peas.

axlish
05-Aug-2008, 08:57 PM
Taking a nod from Total Recall, Encino Man and The Epcot Center...

Biodomes and Hydroponics it is!

Bub666
06-Aug-2008, 03:19 AM
That was a big waste of money.

sandrock74
06-Aug-2008, 04:45 AM
Not to mention how useless it would be. Spend a billion dollars just to go get a crop of peas. Sorry, but I don't want to pay $500 a can for peas.

Any food grown on Mars would have been for the astronauts to eat while they were stationed there. Less food to pack onto long range shuttles means less weight, which translates into less fuel (for lift off). In the long term, it saves money.

Still, would you eat food from another planet?? After you!

Neil
06-Aug-2008, 07:53 AM
Any food grown on Mars would have been for the astronauts to eat while they were stationed there. Less food to pack onto long range shuttles means less weight, which translates into less fuel (for lift off). In the long term, it saves money.

Maybe the soil can at least be treated to 'clean it' for our use?

bassman
06-Aug-2008, 04:41 PM
Maybe the soil can at least be treated to 'clean it' for our use?

It seems like they could. I know this guy who works with machines that clean contaminated soil here on Earth, so surely NASA could work something out for up there...

Tricky
06-Aug-2008, 06:01 PM
Millions of people living in poverty or starving on this planet,& they spunk hundreds of billions playing with a radio controlled car on mars :rolleyes:

Neil
06-Aug-2008, 06:05 PM
Millions of people living in poverty or starving on this planet,& they spunk hundreds of billions playing with a radio controlled car on mars :rolleyes:

Oh! Not quite sure what's more silly... The silly analogy, or the silly point... :rolleyes:

clanglee
06-Aug-2008, 08:49 PM
When did they say they were going to grow stuff on Mars anyways? I don't think the temperature and the atmosphere would sustsain plant life. . even if the soil does. I thought they were looking for signs of current or previous life on Mars.

capncnut
06-Aug-2008, 09:04 PM
When did they say they were going to grow stuff on Mars anyways? I don't think the temperature and the atmosphere would sustsain plant life. . even if the soil does. I thought they were looking for signs of current or previous life on Mars.
Not only are they looking for signs of life but also conducting early experiments pertaining to humans surviving possible colonisation missions in the future.

Bub666
06-Aug-2008, 09:12 PM

I think were a long way off from growing any crops on Mars.

sandrock74
07-Aug-2008, 02:12 AM
The rough idea is to colonize our Moon and Mars before venturing further out into space. If food can be grown and cultivated at either location then it will be much easier to support human life. Also, remember that plant life gives off oxygen. That would be a considerable aid to any colonization efforts for obvious reasons.

The people who want to do this are the same type of people who wanted to sail the seas centuries ago to see what else was on the planet. Its just on a grander scale.

clanglee
07-Aug-2008, 02:27 AM
I understand that. . just didn't realize that was part of this particualr mission. I'm all for it tho', Just wish I could see it happen in my lifetime.

capncnut
07-Aug-2008, 03:00 AM
I understand that. . just didn't realize that was part of this particualr mission. I'm all for it tho', Just wish I could see it happen in my lifetime.
That's the thing, Clang. You wont.

clanglee
07-Aug-2008, 03:14 AM
I know. . :(

Bub666
07-Aug-2008, 04:47 AM
It would be cool if we could see it in are lifetime.But we won't.

MikePizzoff
07-Aug-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm working on my own private rocket ship so that I can prove you all wrong. I'll send you postcards from the pyramid mines.

Bub666
07-Aug-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm working on my own private rocket ship so that I can prove you all wrong. I'll send you postcards from the pyramid mines.

Good luck.

MikePizzoff
07-Aug-2008, 05:54 PM
Good luck.

I don't need luck when I have Douglas Quaid on my side.

DubiousComforts
07-Aug-2008, 06:14 PM
People don't give much thought to the garbage food they consume on this planet, so what's the problem? Bon appétit!

EvilNed
07-Aug-2008, 06:16 PM
That's the thing, Clang. You wont.

I don't know about that. You can get an awful far way in 40 years. Maybe not Mars, but the Moon?

Tricky
07-Aug-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't need luck when I have Douglas Quaid on my side.

:lol: "i got enough sh*t up here to f*ck cohaagen good!"

brer
07-Aug-2008, 07:43 PM
As I see it, the perchlorates that they found really don't mean that much.

Some earth organisms actually eat them.

Then again, it just may be that they decided to take their sample in an area with a lot of perchlorates. The soil on earth is not all uniform, why should we expect mars to be different?

sandrock74
07-Aug-2008, 10:54 PM
"C'mon Cohagen, gif da people da air!"

Eyebiter
08-Aug-2008, 01:37 PM
What about deep underground or at the poles where there are deposits of ice? Just because it's not carbon based life on the surface that we expect to find doesn't mean that SOMETHING isn't alive on the entire planet of Mars.