PDA

View Full Version : Hey! So 'VALKYRIE' doesn't suck :)

Neil
08-Aug-2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37849

For all the negative press this film's been getting, this review seems to suggest it's a solid movie... :)

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2008, 09:49 AM
When I watched the trailer, I simply could not ignore the fact they're all Germans, but talking with American and British accents.

THAT really annoys me, it's like that flick The Bunker, they're all talking Saahhf Lahndahn, but they're ACTUALLY German soldiers (originally I thought they were Brits disguised at Germans, but NO - they're actually Germans in the movie! :eek:)

bassman
08-Aug-2008, 12:00 PM
I've liked Singer's work, so i'll definitely check this out.

I didn't know it was expected to be a bad film....:confused:

Neil
08-Aug-2008, 12:36 PM
When I watched the trailer, I simply could not ignore the fact they're all Germans, but talking with American and British accents.

THAT really annoys me, it's like that flick The Bunker, they're all talking Saahhf Lahndahn, but they're ACTUALLY German soldiers (originally I thought they were Brits disguised at Germans, but NO - they're actually Germans in the movie! :eek:)

Think of it as hyper-unreality... :)

I guess if they all started doing fake german accents it could start sounding daft... Remember 'Allo Allo'? With the 'Fallen Madonna with the big boobies'?

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2008, 05:57 PM
Think of it as hyper-unreality... :)

I guess if they all started doing fake german accents it could start sounding daft... Remember 'Allo Allo'? With the 'Fallen Madonna with the big boobies'?
Yeah but at least they tried.

Even a bad German accent is still a German-ish accent. Rather than having Klauss Von Cheeseburger swagger in with his D's instead of T's and the like. :lol:

But it's based on truth, so it's just daft to have them all with their original accents ... at least Downfall was done by Germans with Germans, so it was totally convincing ... I still think Tom Cruise with an eye patch with the same accent, but demanding he's "being German", is really silly - and distracting too.

Even a bad German accent won't really be all that apparent to the vast majority of people, it sounds German, which would at least be good enough.

Neil
08-Aug-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah but at least they tried.

Even a bad German accent is still a German-ish accent. Rather than having Klauss Von Cheeseburger swagger in with his D's instead of T's and the like. :lol:

But it's based on truth, so it's just daft to have them all with their original accents ... at least Downfall was done by Germans with Germans, so it was totally convincing ... I still think Tom Cruise with an eye patch with the same accent, but demanding he's "being German", is really silly - and distracting too.

Even a bad German accent won't really be all that apparent to the vast majority of people, it sounds German, which would at least be good enough.

I'll wait till I see it till I write it off... :) The reviewed seemed very positive...

But yes, Tom Cruise is so well known he's sort of entered Heston territory now... Hey, it's Charlton Heston in a robe! Hey it's Charlton Heston in a pilots outfit! Hey, it's Charlton Heston shooting infected albinos!

capncnut
08-Aug-2008, 06:20 PM
Tom Cruise is so well known he's sort of entered Heston territory now... Hey, it's Charlton Heston in a robe! Hey it's Charlton Heston in a pilots outfit! Hey, it's Charlton Heston shooting infected albinos!
<hearty Scientologist laugh> Muahahahaha!

acealive1
09-Aug-2008, 12:42 AM

they do it for the sake of not speaking german and alienating the english speaking audience. case in point. mel gibson made the passion of the christ. all sub titles

Bub666
09-Aug-2008, 04:58 AM
This looks like it might be worth checking out.

Neil
09-Aug-2008, 08:29 AM
they do it for the sake of not speaking german and alienating the english speaking audience. case in point. mel gibson made the passion of the christ. all sub titles

Subtitles really bother some people, to the extent they will not watch a film with them...

For me, I find after a few minutes you forget there's even there, and the actors aren't speaking English.

I remember once during a subtitled film - can't recall the exact film - where during part of the film, I had a sudden revolation... The subtitles weren't there! Part of the film was in English, and my brain hadn't even realised it wasn't processing subtitles anymore to understand the speech :)

To think some people will not watch 'Life Is Beautiful' because of the subtitles :(

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2008, 10:44 AM
I have a half-n-half relationship with subtitles.

Personally, I much prefer to just WATCH a film, especially one with heavy dialogue, rather than constantly flicking down to the bottom strip to read what's going on ... it's like when you're driving, and because Britain is a surveillance society gone mad, you're constantly glancing down to check your speedometer lest you get caught going a milimetre over the limit.

If dubbing is done well, I'd as soon watch that version - like with something like Ichi the Killer, or Versus - heck, in Versus the hero's voice is loads better in the dubbed version than the real audio, at least I think so anyway.

Something like Downfall suits subtitles - and there you've got actual Germans, speaking German, in a film all about a bunch of Germans - so that makes sense.

I still, at times though, find myself lagging behind on reading the subtitles in dialogue heavy scenes cos I'm also trying to appreciate the performance as well, I wanna lock my eyes on it, rather than sort of see it in my peripheral vision whilst I'm pouring over a tome's worth of written dialogue on the screen.

So I'm in favour of both, it just depends on the circumstances.

In the case of Valkyrie - at the very least they could have attempted to put on German accents, I mean come on! They're supposed to be actors - act a bloody accent, even if it's not that great, as long as it isn't Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, you're fine.