PDA

View Full Version : letting off some steam

acealive1
12-Aug-2008, 11:12 PM
ok so is this seriously some horrible crap i hope no one ever has to go through like i did.

first of al my job situation sucks. got a new job in march, had roomies along with it. weird stuff happened so i moved home for now back in june and had to leave my job behind.

struggled to find a job, finally got one and i bust my ass for 55 cents above minimum wage in temperatures north of 100 degrees every day.

then last friday after my first week of my new job when i was thinking about quitting, i get a call from directv asking me if i'd like to work for them in their call center starting at nearly $10 an hour. so i accepted.... the lady makes sure my number is right and says she'll get back to me soon. she called today after a hellacious day at work.

so she asks when im able to come in for pre employment training. i said "tomorrow is fine and i'll even request a half day off "

she says "ok,sounds good we are located by the HP bulding" yeah.... we dont have an HP building in town. :stunned:

so something said ask where shes located.

then.

she dropped a bomb on me.

BOISE,IDAHO

so i didnt let that deter me as im trying to relocate,so i ask about a program for new employees that'd allow me to move there.

apparently only current employees are eligible....makes no sense but ok.

so needless to say i was crushed because now im stuck at this job making nothing and taking a hell of a lot longer than i expected to move and its really kicking my ass.

well,just thought i'd let you all know how much of a bad day ive been having. you take it easy,peeps. i hope some of you have been having a better day than me.

clanglee
12-Aug-2008, 11:30 PM
Wow man. .that does indeed suck. To be honest though, If you are looking to relocate to an area with lots of jobs and lower cost of living, you need to come down south man. The Charlotte NC area is expecially growing. Join the southern exodus my friend!! :D

SRP76
12-Aug-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey, Greyhound bus for 40 bucks. They run all night; get down to the station.:lol:

Danny
12-Aug-2008, 11:58 PM
ifeel your pain dude, was given seven days to find a job or find a nice cardboard box down a quiet rat filled alley so i looked for a good 16 hours a day everyday till i got a job at one of the worst macdonalds in the country were i make almost £1.50 under minimum wage for 10 hour sifts flipping burgers.

but it pays the rent and i can still take my degree, so i gotta put up with it, but getting **** from the neighbors and filthy chavsters every time im out makes me want to move somewhere like toronto when ive got my uni degree under my belt and just start over ya know?

Khardis
13-Aug-2008, 12:09 AM
ok so is this seriously some horrible crap i hope no one ever has to go through like i did.

first of al my job situation sucks. got a new job in march, had roomies along with it. weird stuff happened so i moved home for now back in june and had to leave my job behind.

struggled to find a job, finally got one and i bust my ass for 55 cents above minimum wage in temperatures north of 100 degrees every day.

then last friday after my first week of my new job when i was thinking about quitting, i get a call from directv asking me if i'd like to work for them in their call center starting at nearly $10 an hour. so i accepted.... the lady makes sure my number is right and says she'll get back to me soon. she called today after a hellacious day at work.

so she asks when im able to come in for pre employment training. i said "tomorrow is fine and i'll even request a half day off "

she says "ok,sounds good we are located by the HP bulding" yeah.... we dont have an HP building in town. :stunned:

so something said ask where shes located.

then.

she dropped a bomb on me.

BOISE,IDAHO

so i didnt let that deter me as im trying to relocate,so i ask about a program for new employees that'd allow me to move there.

apparently only current employees are eligible....makes no sense but ok.

so needless to say i was crushed because now im stuck at this job making nothing and taking a hell of a lot longer than i expected to move and its really kicking my ass.

well,just thought i'd let you all know how much of a bad day ive been having. you take it easy,peeps. i hope some of you have been having a better day than me.

Take a carpenters apprenticeship they start you out at like 16 bucks an hour where I live, with a guarenteed raise every 6 months, 1st raise gets you to lke 18 bucks, after the apprenticeship is done you are making close to 30 dollars an hour. My brother is doing it right now and its really paying off for him. Plus you learn awesome skills, and you can do carpentry anywhere.

acealive1
13-Aug-2008, 12:16 AM
Take a carpenters apprenticeship they start you out at like 16 bucks an hour where I live, with a guarenteed raise every 6 months, 1st raise gets you to lke 18 bucks, after the apprenticeship is done you are making close to 30 dollars an hour. My brother is doing it right now and its really paying off for him. Plus you learn awesome skills, and you can do carpentry anywhere.

agreed. the only thing stopping that in ohio is the unions try to force to to work for straight time and no over time....yet they get paid "salary" regardless of how our wages change.

well that and carpenters dont have a real good rep in this city, AKA they start a job on a floor and leave a gaping hole saying they'll "be back" :stunned::stunned:

its so bad they're always on the news for shoddy work and "the call to action team" which busts bad business men.

i'll check it out though :D

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 12:18 AM
Dude, I know working for way less than what you are really worth sucks big time. I have had my share of terrible jobs with terrible pay.

But if it is any consolation, there are plenty of folks that are totally unemployed and that sucks even worse. My late grandfather who grew up in the depression used to tell me when I would complain about poor wages at one of my mind-numbing and stupid jobs that, "Having a lousy job is better than having no job at all" While I don't know if I totally agree with his view on the subject - may he rest in peace - I do know that it helped me just a little to keep that in mind everytime I started to get depressed right after punching in for the day. (He used to also say to me when I would come home complaining after a bad day at work "In 1000 years no one, including you, will give a $hit that today was a tough day" -- how can you argue with that sort of philosophy?)

The Japanese-Americans have this term that they call "Shikata-ga-nai" which loosely translates to "This cannot be helped" and they would say this to themselves when they were experiencing bad times, like being sent to relocations camps during world war two. They would also say "Gaman" which means persevere. Grandpa would say these things to me and being a punk kid, I would just roll my eyes. Though, now, as I get older, I realize the lessons he was trying to teach me.

But I am a Fifth Generation Japanese American, and a non-practicing Buddhist which makes it easy for me to be a little more optimistic than the older generations. So I believe that something better is always bound to come around. The trick is to keep hope and do what you have to do in the mean time while you are waiting.

So, at the risk of sounding all cliched, keep your hopes up, brother, and don't let it get you down. (And if it helps, you can always say "Shikata-ga-nai!")

acealive1
13-Aug-2008, 12:26 AM
Dude, I know working for way less than what you are really worth sucks big time. I have had my share of terrible jobs with terrible pay.

But if it is any consolation, there are plenty of folks that are totally unemployed and that sucks even worse. My late grandfather who grew up in the depression used to tell me when I would complain about poor wages at one of my mind-numbing and stupid jobs that, "Having a lousy job is better than having no job at all" While I don't know if I totally agree with his view on the subject - may he rest in peace - I do know that it helped me just a little to keep that in mind everytime I started to get depressed right after punching in for the day. (He used to also say to me when I would come home complaining after a bad day at work "In 1000 years no one, including you, will give a $hit that today was a tough day" -- how can you argue with that sort of philosophy?)

The Japanese-Americans have this term that they call "Shikata-ga-nai" which loosely translates to "This cannot be helped" and they would say this to themselves when they were experiencing bad times, like being sent to relocations camps during world war two. They would also say "Gaman" which means persevere. Grandpa would say these things to me and being a punk kid, I would just roll my eyes. Though, now, as I get older, I realize the lessons he was trying to teach me.

But I am a Fifth Generation Japanese American, and a non-practicing Buddhist which makes it easy for me to be a little more optimistic than the older generations. So I believe that something better is always bound to come around. The trick is to keep hope and do what you have to do in the mean time while you are waiting.

So, at the risk of sounding all cliched, keep your hopes up, brother, and don't let it get you down. (And if it helps, you can always say "Shikata-ga-nai!")

nah u dont sound cliched, its actually great hearing that people know where im coming from. i work in a factory with which cuts up toppings for pizza (produce) mainly onions and bell peppers though. and we also print pizza boxes for companies all over this area in and out of state. and all that money they make, and all the money our company makes and we get this wage per hour which sucks.

we get left out of employee functions and people wonder why morale is low and people quit so much.

its hard not being appreciated when every normal human uses your products daily.

Millard Rausch
13-Aug-2008, 12:46 AM
By every normal human you mean people willing and ready
to poison their innards by ingesting the chemical Titanium Dioxide?
It is included in every mass produced frozen pizza known to man (and it's also the stuff lifegards block UV with on their noses).
Gayman :roll:

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 12:58 AM
It is included in every mass produced frozen pizza known to man (and it's also the stuff lifegards block UV with on their noses).

?????

Khardis
13-Aug-2008, 01:01 AM
agreed. the only thing stopping that in ohio is the unions try to force to to work for straight time and no over time....yet they get paid "salary" regardless of how our wages change.

well that and carpenters dont have a real good rep in this city, AKA they start a job on a floor and leave a gaping hole saying they'll "be back" :stunned::stunned:

its so bad they're always on the news for shoddy work and "the call to action team" which busts bad business men.

i'll check it out though :D

Join the Union for Carpenters, scab carpenters are the ones who do shoddy work and your OT has nothing to do with the union and everything to do with the company that hires you.

acealive1
13-Aug-2008, 01:53 AM

al our stuff is fresh made, if not, its given a chloride bath which helps longevity.

clanglee
13-Aug-2008, 01:56 AM

What? First off Titanium Dioxide is in ALL sorts of stuff. Food, paint, anything colored white for instance. Second of all it is harmless. Third of all what the hell does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Bub666
13-Aug-2008, 03:06 AM
That really sucks.I hate my job too.

Chic Freak
13-Aug-2008, 10:10 PM
Why don't you join a temping agency or apply to the local council for jobs?

acealive1
13-Aug-2008, 10:44 PM

yeah...temp agencies here dont work. one tried to tell me to get my work records on my own....thats THEIR job. and imagine making $10 an hour through a temp agency while the guy next to u got hired in directly and hes making double what u are.

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 10:48 PM

I think in the UK you have an employment bureau/ local council system that actually works. Our only equivalent is very inefficient and causes more folks to give up on searching for work and instead be content to wait at home for the welfare checks to come in than finding gainful employment for the applicants.

clanglee
13-Aug-2008, 11:06 PM
I think in the UK you have an employment bureau/ local council system that actually works. Our only equivalent is very inefficient and causes more folks to give up on searching for work and instead be content to wait at home for the welfare checks to come in than finding gainful employment for the applicants.

Very true!! Our system is a complete joke.

Ace, making 10$ and hour is better than just minimum wage. . no matter what the guy sitting next to you makes. And those temp jobs can lead to permanent hiring sometimes.

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 11:13 PM

Ace, making 10$ and hour is better than just minimum wage. . no matter what the guy sitting next to you makes. And those temp jobs can lead to permanent hiring sometimes.

Clang is correct. I actually once got a semi-permanent position through a random temp gig. (I say semi-permanent because, in the end, I elected to leave for higher paying positions elsewhere) They like to hire from the temp agencies because it saves them the headache of having to go through the process, plus they get to try you for a "trial run" to see if you are any good. So if you get a temp gig, take it seriously and work as if the boss is standing behind you, watching you to see how efficient you are. You stand a good chance of getting a gig through them if you kick ass at your temp positions since most of the idiots at temp agencies are lazy workers who don't care and are not very smart, motivated or knowledgable about computers and software. I know you got them beat, so if you go that route you will probably score a decent gig within your first 2 or 3 placements.

Bub666
13-Aug-2008, 11:40 PM
yeah...temp agencies here dont work. one tried to tell me to get my work records on my own....thats THEIR job. and imagine making $10 an hour through a temp agency while the guy next to u got hired in directly and hes making double what u are.

Yeah,temp agencies suck.

Khardis
13-Aug-2008, 11:55 PM

seriously if you want to make decent money with no skills and are willing to learn take the union apprenticeship. Its tough work but you will learn excellent skills that will serve you well once the zombie plague happens.

acealive1
13-Aug-2008, 11:56 PM
seriously if you want to make decent money with no skills and are willing to learn take the union apprenticeship. Its tough work but you will learn excellent skills that will serve you well once the zombie plague happens.

:lol::lol: agreed, theres an electrical union here but u risk getting ur boots shocked off for $9 an hour on HUGe jobs and that isnt much.

yea....not worth it at all. its like a bully getting his cut and leaving u with the scraps.

Khardis
13-Aug-2008, 11:59 PM
:lol::lol: agreed, theres an electrical union here but u risk getting ur boots shocked off for $9 an hour on HUGe jobs and that isnt much.

forget electricians union, take up a carpenters apprenticeship. They pay much more, you learn good skills, meet good guys, and you will save tons on your house when you learn a little framing, flooring, sheething etc. I took the apprenticeship a few years back when I needed cash, but I was also looking to get into real estate so i figured i would need skills that would help out in that. So i figured wood working and carpentry would help, and they have. Not only can I build and repair my own house if I needed to but I also get to bid out small jobs as a private sub contractor and make easy money. Last month I cleared 10 G's just for redoing a rich guy I know sub floors. Took me a Saturday and a Sunday 10G in my pocket.

acealive1
14-Aug-2008, 12:03 AM
forget electricians union, take up a carpenters apprenticeship. They pay much more, you learn good skills, meet good guys, and you will save tons on your house when you learn a little framing, flooring, sheething etc. I took the apprenticeship a few years back when I needed cash, but I was also looking to get into real estate so i figured i would need skills that would help out in that. So i figured wood working and carpentry would help, and they have. Not only can I build and repair my own house if I needed to but I also get to bid out small jobs as a private sub contractor and make easy money. Last month I cleared 10 G's just for redoing a rich guy I know sub floors. Took me a Saturday and a Sunday 10G in my pocket.

i got a guy i know thats a carpenter and he re did our bathroom, if i learn from anyone it'd be him. he could probably get me in the classes for carpentry fairly quickly. and yes they say charge rich people more LOL

Yojimbo
14-Aug-2008, 12:25 AM

I agree with Khardis. That union gig seems like a really good deal, much more lucrative than going the temp route.

Khardis
14-Aug-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree with Khardis. That union gig seems like a really good deal, much more lucrative than going the temp route.

When I had gone in to take my apprenticeship its funny... learning carpentry actually made sense to me "just in case" there ever was a REAL zombie apocalypse... then Max Brooks wrote World War Z and he had a chapter with a dude talking about how all the corporate execs became unskilled labor while all the carpenters and masons etc became the new elite class. It probably would be something like that.

i got a guy i know thats a carpenter and he re did our bathroom, if i learn from anyone it'd be him. he could probably get me in the classes for carpentry fairly quickly. and yes they say charge rich people more LOL

Hope he is union, if he is not, he would probably get you a non union scab carpentry job, where you wont make as much, get zero bennies and work incredibly dangerous conditions.

Mike70
14-Aug-2008, 01:25 AM

good advice. not only the carpenter's union but since you live in a large city there is probably an iron worker's union and a plumber's union too. both those professions make good money.

Kaos
14-Aug-2008, 03:42 AM
Ace, I think you are putting too many restrictions about what you will and will not do. I think Khardis and other folks here have given very good advice and often you just shot it down with less than well thought out objections.

You need to pay your dues in a lucrative skilled trade or a corporate profession where your extra effort will at the very least give you skills that are marketable. Paying dues in restaurants, retail, and/or sweat shops generally gets you no where. Paying dues as a carpenters apprentice will payoff. Even temp work through a temp agency can get your foot in the door into a type of company that would appreciate your extra effort and hire you on. Who cares if the temp agency is lazy. Your letting their problem further your problem. You can waste your life away bitching about your crappy job or you can do whatever it takes to get yourself into the type of work you like and allows you to support yourself.

The focus has to come off other people and their flaws, and the focus needs to be on you and what you are willing to sacrifice for now to get you where you want to be later. The sacrifice needs to be based upon what the job will pay you when you have established yourself in the field not on what you get paid to start, even if it is $9 to $10 bucks an hour to start. It is better to be at a entry-level job for $9 an hour that could lead to $40 an hour after a few good years of effort proving yourself than an $11 job that will still leave you in an $11 to $13 hour job in 3 years. If you want to be a carpenter and they are hiring apprentices get your butt down there and start. If skilled labor isn't your bag, get those temp agency jobs and work your butt off to show those businesses you are great resource for those companies.

If the economy really sucks in your area, get the skills you can and get the hell out of Dodge as soon as feasible. You aren't married, so there should be little to keep you in a specific area. Family is nice to be around, sure, but you have to look at what is best for you.

I wish you the best, man.

SRP76
14-Aug-2008, 04:05 AM
Go to school. Then you won't have to worry about this. Your financial aid will pay most of what you need, and a part-time job will just be a supplement. And when it's over, you'll get to do whatever you want (assuming you don't flunk out of school, of course).

Kaos
14-Aug-2008, 04:46 AM
Go to school. Then you won't have to worry about this. Your financial aid will pay most of what you need, and a part-time job will just be a supplement. And when it's over, you'll get to do whatever you want (assuming you don't flunk out of school, of course).

I think Ace said he had a degree some time ago. I could be mistaken.

SRP76
14-Aug-2008, 05:06 AM
Ah, that leads to Part II:

Major in something relevant. You're not going to be a professional philosopher, for example.

Mike70
14-Aug-2008, 11:55 AM
I think Ace said he had a degree some time ago. I could be mistaken.

i think it was in english if i'm not mistaken. if so, enrolling in teachers college for a bit and getting a certificate would be a great idea. teaching is usually one job where you can always find work.

in fact, there are some states where a certificate from a teachers college isn't even required because the schools in the state are so hard up for qualified people.

mista_mo
14-Aug-2008, 12:53 PM
I feel your pain somewhat Ace. I work part time in a grocery store 40 hours a week, doing night shifts for 11.10/hour. a lot better then minimum wage but I hate it. Oh, and I don't have my high school diploma yet (drop out etc.)

Keep your options open buddy, Khardis is giving you some amazing advice here and I feel it would be in your best interest to pursue it. My ex girlfriends father worked as a foremen at a wood working factory (been a carpenter for a hell of a long time) and makes close to 50 bucks an hour.

Getting into a skilled trade is a good idea, as they are all pretty much in demand, and as said before, give you some absolutely important skills that you will use a hell of a lot in your life. Plumbing, carpentry, and if you got the balls for it (and the interest) underwater welding pays well around here.

Best of luck man, I'm sure that you will find something.