PDA

View Full Version : Krueger rumours...

capncnut
13-Aug-2008, 05:19 AM
According to Robert Englund, Billy Bob Thorton is one of a few names being thrown around for the upcoming A Nightmare On Elm Street remake to play Freddy Krueger.

BloodyDisgusting.com aren't to sure on this one but it's still a rumour. I'm not going to harp on about 'how many more remakes' and all that s**t because this is just getting silly now. But hey, worthy of noting.

Click (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/13265) for article.

Scriptwriting for the remake is well under way and it appears that the movie is a go. So, if not Billy Bob, then who? :|

zombie04
13-Aug-2008, 05:24 AM
I think it will be difficult to see somebody else in the role, but I can kind of understand Thorton being a possibility. He is below the radar enough to not be seen as an 'out there' candidate and his work in Sling Blade is enough for me to think he could pull off a character (although he has really failed to do so since then).

Of course they could just let it be...

MinionZombie
13-Aug-2008, 10:49 AM
Ugh, they should just leave it alone.

Only Nightmare 1 and 3 were any good ... I mean Nightmare 6 ... killed by a road map ... geez.

Plus, Freddy is supposed to be a kiddy fiddling child murderer ... so it's just downright twisted that he gets turned into some sort of hero/catchphrase-throwing/doll-for-kids-merchandised mug-man ... sheesh.

The Friday 13th remake is under way, and they've already had the Jason bloke doing an ident or whatever for BD, which is just ... no ... it's NO is what it is. We shouldn't see the dude playing the killer mugging off to camera and joking about, they showed the same stuff on the TCM2003 DVD, it just detracts from the believability.

Mind you, Byanarski did a decent/good job with Leatherface, still couldn't beat the original of course. Nout can beat that, and likewise Friday 13th 2008-or-9 won't beat the original, and a remake Nightmare won't beat the original ... although methinks it'll beat road-map-kill with stupid amounts of ease. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
13-Aug-2008, 12:42 PM
Lou and I were laughing at this choice all morning.

I can just see the movie now.

Freddy: Hey Baby
Elm Street Girl: No Freddy, not again. Last time I didn't S H I T right for a month.

Or

Freddy: I like me some french fried taters... Mmmm hmmmmm

Danny
13-Aug-2008, 12:55 PM
oh good lord.

let.it.die.

Doc
13-Aug-2008, 06:39 PM
[WB]: Fantastic idea here; lets cast someone only a few years younger than Englund!

[Director]: Yeah, that would be wicked doep. We'll get lots of movies out of him.

I doubt the Billy Bob would do this because of what was brought up already. One, Billy Bob's too old. Two, he's a big star, and big stars cost BIG MONEY!

Bub666
14-Aug-2008, 12:12 AM
Why can't they just leave Nightmare On Elm St. alone?

zombie04
14-Aug-2008, 12:30 AM
Why can't they just leave Nightmare On Elm St. alone?

Because our fond memories of good movies haven't been completely crushed yet.

Mike70
14-Aug-2008, 01:30 AM
oh good lord.

let.it.die.

indeed. this idea needs to be euthanized.

clanglee
14-Aug-2008, 02:21 AM
Why? Seriously, why?

SRP76
14-Aug-2008, 02:54 AM
Why? Seriously, why?

A total lack of talent on the part of today's writers, that's why. They cannot come up with an original idea, so they just copy things that are already there.

Bub666
14-Aug-2008, 03:54 AM

My memories of good movies were crushed when they remade Day.

MoonSylver
14-Aug-2008, 07:03 AM
Not that I'm for or against another NMOES, but here's a crazy idea to play Freddy...how 'bout, uh....ROBERT ENGULND?!?!?!:rant: :annoyed: :mad:

Danny
14-Aug-2008, 07:12 AM
really?, i think by the time he was in a music video with the phat boys he was done, with the fork stuck in to the handle.

MoonSylver
14-Aug-2008, 07:24 AM
really?, i think by the time he was in a music video with the phat boys he was done, with the fork stuck in to the handle.

Just saying, why anyone else to play the iconic character than the actor who brought him to life in the 1st place? I really wouldn't WANT to see anyone else in the part. It's not like he's DEAD or too old, so why WOULDN'T you use him...that is unless you want to go for some gimmick casting to cash in one whatever press you get from it. And heaven knows Hollywood would never do THAT...:rolleyes:

Danny
14-Aug-2008, 08:06 AM
ah , i get you, thats true, englund IS krueger, itd be like replacing warwick davis with steve buscemi in the role of the leprechaun from those movies. sure it would be unusual and therefore entertaining but it will neer compare to the origional.

sorry, whent a bit yahtzee there.

MoonSylver
14-Aug-2008, 10:47 PM
ah , i get you, thats true, englund IS krueger, itd be like replacing warwick davis with steve buscemi in the role of the leprechaun from those movies. sure it would be unusual and therefore entertaining but it will neer compare to the origional..

Now THAT would be some stunt-casting!!!!:D :lol:

clanglee
14-Aug-2008, 11:12 PM
ah , i get you, thats true, englund IS krueger, itd be like replacing warwick davis with steve buscemi in the role of the leprechaun from those movies. sure it would be unusual and therefore entertaining but it will neer compare to the origional.

sorry, whent a bit yahtzee there.

"How come I gotta look for gold? Why can't I look for silver or precious gems? Why can't Mr. White look for the damn gold?!?"

RustyHicks
15-Aug-2008, 12:44 AM
Another remake...
Another reason to stick with the original
and stop the pain of seeing another remake.
Seeing the halloween remake almost killed me

capncnut
15-Aug-2008, 12:52 AM
Another remake... Another reason to stick with the original
I know Rusters, precicely the reason why I will stick with the first three, even though the first two sequels were s**t technically.

Don't get me started on the rest! :lol:

zombie04
15-Aug-2008, 12:54 AM
Don't get me started on the rest! :lol:

So, what are your thoughts on Freddy's Dead?:p

capncnut
15-Aug-2008, 01:00 AM
So, what are your thoughts on Freddy's Dead?:p
LOL, it was 'dead' from the beginning. Not even Alice Cooper could save it!

I saw it at the cinema actually and felt a right c**t puttin' on those glasses, just like everyone else in the theatre when the film prompted it. Dire flick! :dead:

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 01:00 AM
Well, I'll tell you what. I respect Englund's work as the character, but a couple of months ago the consensus would have been that Jack Nicholson IS the joker. Ledger's performance shot that to hell so let's see what the dudes got.

That being said Ledger's performance was world class and it would take a performance of that caliber to make peoplesee Englund as the true Freddy.

zombie04
15-Aug-2008, 01:13 AM
Well, I'll tell you what. I respect Englund's work as the character, but a couple of months ago the consensus would have been that Jack Nicholson IS the joker. Ledger's performance shot that to hell so let's see what the dudes got.

Well one argument against that thought would be that Nicholson was one of several people to play the character and he only played it once. People liked him, but it wasn't unanimous as many people disliked his version of the character. In Freddy's case, Englund has played him from the beginning and it would just seem wrong in their eyes to see somebody else take over the role (and I don't want to see anybody else in the role).

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 01:17 AM
Well one argument against that thought would be that Nicholson was one of several people to play the character and he only played it once. People liked him, but it wasn't unanimous as many people disliked his version of the character. In Freddy's case, Englund has played him from the beginning and it would just seem wrong in their eyes to see somebody else take over the role (and I don't want to see anybody else in the role).

That's a very good point but who's next on the list after Nicholson? Ceasar Romero? PLEEEEZE. Romero's Joker was campy at best and struck fear into the hearts of no one. That being the case Nicholson might as well have been the only one to play the joker because before ledger, no one was even worthy to put on his lipstick.:cool:

zombie04
15-Aug-2008, 01:32 AM
That's a very good point but who's next on the list after Nicholson? Ceasar Romero? PLEEEEZE. Romero's Joker was campy at best and struck fear into the hearts of no one. That being the case Nicholson might as well have been the only one to play the joker because before ledger, no one was even worthy to put on his lipstick.:cool:

A lot of people would put Mark Hamill on the list and rightfully so in my opinion. I think he nailed the character for the animated vision of the Joker much like Nicholson did in Burton's film and Ledger did in Nolan's recreation. I don't think Heath has a firm grip on the character but he does for that concept of the character. Nicholson and Hamill played more for the camp of the character and I agree, Ceasar Romero just did nothing. I mean how does the Clown Prince of Gotham decide to torment Batman by challenging him in a surfing contest?

Minerva_Zombi
15-Aug-2008, 05:37 AM
Why? Seriously, why?

As the Fresh Prince would say, "CHING CHING!".

MOOLAH Baby! Its a recognizable title with a recognizable villian. People will go see it. PERIOD.

Danny
15-Aug-2008, 06:50 AM
LOL, it was 'dead' from the beginning. Not even Alice Cooper could save it!

if alice cooper cant save something, then youse knows its ****ed!

*loads up poison on i-tunes*

bassman
15-Aug-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't think Heath has a firm grip on the character but he does for that concept of the character.

Go read some comics and graphic novels and then try to say that.:p:moon:

As for krueger.....couldn't care any less. I've always thought the Nightmare films got more attention than they deserved, anyway...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Aug-2008, 12:15 PM
As the Fresh Prince would say, "CHING CHING!".

MOOLAH Baby! Its a recognizable title with a recognizable villian. People will go see it. PERIOD.

The Halloween remake is proof of that.

bassman
15-Aug-2008, 12:20 PM
The Halloween remake is proof of that.

Which, imo, is better than the original.:shifty:

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 12:56 PM
Go read some comics and graphic novels and then try to say that.:p:moon:

As for krueger.....couldn't care any less. I've always thought the Nightmare films got more attention than they deserved, anyway...

I always thought that the first film was a good movie, not great. The concept was brilliant if not brilliantly executed, although compared to the slasher films of that era it was Gone With the Wind by comparison. The second and third were o.k. The ones after that were just silly. By the time He was killing people in nintendo games it had definitely jumped the shark.

bassman
15-Aug-2008, 01:21 PM
I always thought that the first film was a good movie, not great. The concept was brilliant if not brilliantly executed, although compared to the slasher films of that era it was Gone With the Wind by comparison. The second and third were o.k. The ones after that were just silly. By the time He was killing people in nintendo games it had definitely jumped the shark.

I don't think i've really seen any of the sequels. The original is okay, don't get me wrong. I just think it's given a bit more credit than it deserves. I feel the same about Halloween and Friday the 13th. These aren't bad films, but not as fantastic as people make them out to be, imo.

I once caught about 10-15 minutes of Freddy vs. Jason on the Scifi channel. Holy sh*t what a horrible piece of MTV dung that was....

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2008, 06:23 PM
Oh god, FvJ was awful. All that nu-metal sh*te and mug-off-to-the-audience, self-aware-MTV-cock-chugging-garbage in the script.

Plus it was just SH*T.

Nightmare sequels beyond 3 were all dreadful, even 2 was pretty naff. Only 3 was any good, but even still it wasn't anything like as good as the first movie.

Friday 13th had far better sequels.

Halloween 1 and 2 were the best, 3 was actually a cool 80s spooky flick, but bugger all to do with Halloween, but it's actually an entertaining movie, quite enjoyable. Halloween 7 was limp, but far better than 4 through 6 which were awful ... oh and I enjoyed the remake. Not a patch on the original, but it goes into different territory and does it's own thing that's true-enough to the story of Halloween, rather than the plot of Halloween 1...even if the Haddonfield-today stuff was weak.

bassman
15-Aug-2008, 06:49 PM
Halloween 1 and 2 were the best, 3 was actually a cool 80s spooky flick, but bugger all to do with Halloween, but it's actually an entertaining movie, quite enjoyable. Halloween 7 was limp, but far better than 4 through 6 which were awful ... oh and I enjoyed the remake. Not a patch on the original, but it goes into different territory and does it's own thing that's true-enough to the story of Halloween, rather than the plot of Halloween 1...even if the Haddonfield-today stuff was weak.

Wasn't it Carpenter's original intention to have sequels that have nothing to do with Myers/haddonfield and all that? That could have been cool...

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 06:54 PM
PLOT!?! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING PLOT!?!:cool:

clanglee
15-Aug-2008, 07:26 PM
Which, imo, is better than the original.:shifty:

:stunned:
respect. . .dwindling. . .;)

capncnut
15-Aug-2008, 08:25 PM
Wasn't it Carpenter's original intention to have sequels that have nothing to do with Myers/haddonfield and all that? That could have been cool...
Yeah, Carpenter's idea was palm off the Halloween franchise to upcoming directors that wanted to make cool horror flicks to be released over the Halloween period. At the time, Michael Myers was dead, burned to death in a hospital and impossible to resurrect with any realism.

slickwilly13
15-Aug-2008, 09:59 PM
Did anyone ever see the Freddy parody off of Tiny Toons Adventures. I think he was called Freddy Cougar. He was a cougar that was pretty much Freddy. *L* Or the Groundskeeper Willie parody?

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2008, 10:10 PM
Well Halloween 3 made sense, cos yeah indeed Carpenter had that idea going on.

But it's a bit odd to call it Halloween when the public identifies the title with the serial killer Michael Myers, so I think that was the problem there.

Otherwise though, I actually quite liked Halloween 3, it felt like old school, 1980's Carpenter. The synth music, the dark cinematography, Tom Atkins rocking up the screen etc.

It was a neat little story in itself as well.

capncnut
15-Aug-2008, 10:12 PM
I actually quite liked Halloween 3, it felt like old school, 1980's Carpenter. The synth music, the dark cinematography, Tom Atkins rocking up the screen etc.

It was a neat little story in itself as well.
Let's not forget the Silver Shamrock theme. I was singing that tune for months when I first heard it. :lol:

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2008, 10:19 PM
Let's not forget the Silver Shamrock theme. I was singing that tune for months when I first heard it. :lol:
Ah you bastard! Now I've got that stuck in my noggin! :p

It was catchy though.

Yojimbo
15-Aug-2008, 10:51 PM

:lol:Well said!

Bub666
16-Aug-2008, 12:21 AM

I love the Silver Shamrock theme.My son sings it all the time.

Doc
16-Aug-2008, 02:13 AM
Friday 13th had far better sequels.

Meh...I never really liked F13th much....its nothing but, trashy exploitation......

acealive1
16-Aug-2008, 02:32 AM
Meh...I never really liked F13th much....its nothing but, trashy exploitation......

if anything its promotinh abstinence

capncnut
19-May-2009, 07:56 PM
Thread resurrection.

Jackie Earle Haley is the new Krueger.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef01156edc8c6b970c-300wi

And check out this blog (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/platinumdunes/), it has a few images from the remake, which is slated for a 2010 release thru New Line. If you ask me, I think it looks as tacky as some tacks tacked on to some blu-tac.

bassman
19-May-2009, 09:25 PM
Haley's casting was announced about two months back. There was a thread for it HERE (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=13451&highlight=freddy).

capncnut
20-May-2009, 03:48 AM
Haley's casting was announced about two months back. There was a thread for it HERE (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=13451&highlight=freddy).
Okay, Ghostbuster. Fair do's but the post was pointing out the new pics also... :rolleyes:

bassman
20-May-2009, 11:14 AM
Okay, Ghostbuster. Fair do's but the post was pointing out the new pics also... :rolleyes:

Just pointing out that it's been done. I figured a mod would know how to use the search feature. Ohhh yeah. I went there.:p

MinionZombie
20-May-2009, 02:13 PM
Notice how the shot of them standing by a cop car is damn-near identical to two chumps standing next to a cop car from the Friday remake, if you scroll down towards the bottom. :p

I wish Platinum Dunes would make something original for crying out loud.

capncnut
20-May-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey, I never noticed that before. It's the exact same two doofuses standing against resprayed motors. Golly, that's tacky.

MikePizzoff
20-May-2009, 08:32 PM
Just pointing out that it's been done. I figured a mod would know how to use the search feature. Ohhh yeah. I went there.:p

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/fw_006No.jpg
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!

bassman
20-May-2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/fw_006No.jpg
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!

Is that a screen cap from Frankenweenie?:rockbrow:

MikePizzoff
20-May-2009, 08:37 PM
Is that a screen cap from Frankenweenie?:rockbrow:

:lol: I honestly don't know. It looks familiar. I just searched Google images trying to find a picture of kid looking like he's screaming "FIIIGHT!".

Doc
21-May-2009, 03:03 AM
I wish Platinum Dunes would make something original for crying out loud.

Yeah, looks like thay just want to make as many millions as quickly and effortlessly as possible by, recycling other peoples work.:(