PDA

View Full Version : Olympics BBall controversy

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 06:14 PM
Have any of you heard of this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Spanish-basketball-team-poses-for-offensive-pict;_ylt=Aib_6_b34MyFjR3lo7QwWyfHKZt4?urn=oly,100 152

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news;_ylt=AsZrmJnpPa2kEK2YoNRhyuiUaJh4?slug=aw-nbaspainphoto081308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Mike70
13-Aug-2008, 06:17 PM
that is pretty ridiculous and not very classy. jason kidd is dead on about the double standard. if those were americans, this would talked about endlessly by every pundit on every single station and the NBA would be rolling heads.

wow, europeans are so much more cultured than we are in north america, aren't they.

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 06:22 PM
I am thinking that the sponsor of that photo may have done this knowing that it would be controversial resulting in a wider interest in the company.

From a marketing standpoint, maybe the sponsor thought that this would work out.

You cannot tell me that they did this without knowing that folks would find it offensive and would become irate. This must have been a shrewd and calculated move, though one with a high potential of backfiring.

if those were americans, this would talked about endlessly by every pundit on every single station and the NBA would be rolling heads.

As Americans who tout ourselves as a melting pot and therefore assumed by experience to have a greater tolerance for minorities (actually not true, since I think that historically France has been much more minority tolerant than were or are), we are supposed to know better and as such our own stateside community would not tolerate something like this without having a major cow.

But I am surprised of the lack of coverage for this. I heard more about the lip-syncing little girl at the opening ceremonies than this issue!

Bub666
14-Aug-2008, 12:04 AM
that is pretty ridiculous and not very classy. jason kidd is dead on about the double standard. if those were americans, this would talked about endlessly by every pundit on every single station and the NBA would be rolling heads.

wow, europeans are so much more cultured than we are in north america, aren't they.

I agree.

SRP76
14-Aug-2008, 04:00 AM
Nope, haven't heard anything about this, and don't really care. Two weeks after the Olypmics end, nobody's going to remember the Spanish basketball team ever existed. So there's no reason to get too worked up about them.

Publius
14-Aug-2008, 01:06 PM
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Personally, I think people should try being less thin-skinned. The easiest way to interpret the photo is that they were good-naturedly, if naively, trying to show solidarity with the people hosting them.

AcesandEights
14-Aug-2008, 02:10 PM
The easiest way to interpret the photo is that they were good-naturedly, if naively, trying to show solidarity with the people hosting them.

:rolleyes:

There is no way I buy that one.

It was foolish, disrespectful and horribly shortsighted. A big deal? Not really, but utterly asinine.

Yojimbo
14-Aug-2008, 03:51 PM

It was foolish, disrespectful and horribly shortsighted. A big deal? Not really, but utterly asinine.

I tend to agree. There was a time that this sort of stuff would have provoked an immediate violent reaction, but now I look at their actions as really disrespectful and stupid. Their attempts to defend their actions merely exacerbate this situation - they should have immediately apologized instead of making lame excuses. Really, it makes the Spanish team look like buffoons, and the media company that came up with this comes off as really out of touch.

Bub666
14-Aug-2008, 03:57 PM

I agree.

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 06:22 PM

Well, if anything less P.C.

While i agree that americans are uptight as a society About certain things (sex) I don't think that this should be cavalierly dismissed. That being said, it's not the end of the world. Unfortunately, it's not against the law to be an insensitive a-hole.

But I am surprised of the lack of coverage for this. I heard more about the lip-syncing little girl at the opening ceremonies than this issue!

Which goes a long way in illustrating what most americans are truly interested in: frivilous garbage.

Dillinger
15-Aug-2008, 06:26 PM
What's the big deal? They made squinty eyes. There isn't an American one that didn't make that same gesture while playing "Chinese, Japanese, American knees." when they were a kid. Some things just aren't an issue.

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 06:39 PM
What's the big deal? They made squinty eyes. There isn't an American one that didn't make that same gesture while playing "Chinese, Japanese, American knees." when they were a kid. Some things just aren't an issue.

Exactly. When we were kids. Big difference. I can't wait for their "blackface" pose. :hyper: (sarcasm)

clanglee
15-Aug-2008, 07:37 PM
At least they didn't have a caption beneath it saying "Ahhhh Sooooo"

It's a pretty big tool move, that's for sure. But yeah. . here in the U.S. it would of course have made big waves.

Be careful what you say or the Spanish king might tell you "Por Que no te callas?"

Yojimbo
16-Aug-2008, 11:08 PM

Dillinger, you are right that it is the same gesture that kids made to me when doing that chant, a few seconds before my fist would smash their ignorant face.

While I am no longer as reactive as I was in my youth, I still am offended when someone makes fun of me based on my ethnicity, just as I take offense if I see someone in blackface, or hear someone utter an ethnic slur.

I understand that it is difficult for someone who is not a miniority on the receiving end of racist rhetoric and who did not have relatives that had to suffer unfair treatment by the majority and the govenment becasue they were enthnically different to understand why a minority group would find something like the "Chinese, Japanese" chant, or being called a "Nip" or a "Nigger" or a "Kike" intolerably offensive. So in this regard I realize that it is no big deal to you.

This isn't to say that the Spanish basketball team meant to offend asians with this silliness, which I do not believe was their motive. Like you, they do not understand why this is a big deal to anyone, and like you they are perplexed as to why anyone is offended. However, I do feel that they have shown themselves to be extremely insensitive and ignorant. I am also saying that their pathetic excuses for their actions and their half-hearted apologies only exacerbate the situation, and certainly do not make them seem any less insensitive and ignorant.

RustyHicks
16-Aug-2008, 11:14 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself

Trencher
17-Aug-2008, 12:31 AM
If they were American it would be all over European media with articles and commentaries lamenting the lack of insight and tact.
Its obvious that the Spanish basket ball team are scum and I am annyoed that they are getting away with it without any reaction at all.

Nope, haven't heard anything about this, and don't really care. Two weeks after the Olypmics end, nobody's going to remember the Spanish basketball team ever existed. So there's no reason to get too worked up about them. I like this.

Mike70
17-Aug-2008, 12:42 AM
If they were American it would be all over European media with articles and commentaries lamenting the lack of insight and tact.
Its obvious that the Spanish basket ball team are scum and I am annyoed that they are getting away with it without any reaction at all.

I like this.

oh well, they got blown off the court by the US team 119-82 today. i guess all the squinting effected their ability to play.:lol:

Dillinger
17-Aug-2008, 12:43 AM
Dillinger, you are right that it is the same gesture that kids made to me when doing that chant, a few seconds before my fist would smash their ignorant face.

While I am no longer as reactive as I was in my youth, I still am offended when someone makes fun of me based on my ethnicity, just as I take offense if I see someone in blackface, or hear someone utter an ethnic slur.

I understand that it is difficult for someone who is not a miniority on the receiving end of racist rhetoric and who did not have relatives that had to suffer unfair treatment by the majority and the govenment becasue they were enthnically different to understand why a minority group would find something like the "Chinese, Japanese" chant, or being called a "Nip" or a "Nigger" or a "Kike" intolerably offensive. So in this regard I realize that it is no big deal to you.

This isn't to say that the Spanish basketball team meant to offend asians with this silliness, which I do not believe was their motive. Like you, they do not understand why this is a big deal to anyone, and like you they are perplexed as to why anyone is offended. However, I do feel that they have shown themselves to be extremely insensitive and ignorant. I am also saying that their pathetic excuses for their actions and their half-hearted apologies only exacerbate the situation, and certainly do not make them seem any less insensitive and ignorant.

That's your problem. Not mine. Besides, we whites will be the minority in 42 years. You can take out your insecurities on us then. That is, if you can. I just wonder how affirmative action is going to work then. Will white kids be given extra points on their SATs or will companies have racial quotas for white employees? What about housing? After Obama gets elected, what are minorities going to say about "THE MAN" when they become "THE MAN?"

With all the grief minorities give the white man, i'll be glad when we're the minority. Maybe then I can bitch and get away with it.

EDIT: If "Chinese, Japanese, American Knees." is the worst thing that's ever happened to you in your life then you're doing pretty damn good in my book.

Mutineer
17-Aug-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm convinced it was meant as an honorary gesture if even kind of kooky.

People need to lighten up.

The damn press are vultures.

Yojimbo
17-Aug-2008, 05:25 AM
With all the grief minorities give the white man, i'll be glad when we're the minority. Maybe then I can bitch and get away with it.

Why not? You do so now, so why would it be any different later, when you are in the minority?

I'm convinced it was meant as an honorary gesture if even kind of kooky.

People need to lighten up.

The damn press are vultures.

I agree that they probably meant no harm, and are genuinely perplexed by the reaction. Certainly they did not mean to offend anyone.

DubiousComforts
17-Aug-2008, 07:27 AM
Why not? You do so now, so why would it be any different later, when you are in the minority?
He's just practicing now for when it will really count. :D

will companies have racial quotas for white employees?
A very good question to ask white business owners. I'm the only Caucasian employee at my job. My Caucasian employer has this penchant for only hiring people of Latin American descent. I don't believe it has anything to do with something called "affirmative action" unless that also happens to be synonymy for "cheap labor."

If "Chinese, Japanese, American Knees." is the worst thing that's ever happened to you in your life then you're doing pretty damn good in my book.
The version that I'd heard went "Chinese, Japanese, Hercules, Dirty Knees." What the hell does that even mean? Man, I must have led a very sheltered childhood.

Bub666
17-Aug-2008, 02:20 PM
The version that I'd heard went "Chinese, Japanese, Hercules, Dirty Knees." What the hell does that even mean? Man, I must have led a very sheltered childhood.

I never heard that version before.

Mike70
17-Aug-2008, 02:31 PM
Man, I must have led a very sheltered childhood.

you and me both, man. i've never even heard of this little chant before this thread.

Yojimbo
17-Aug-2008, 06:47 PM
you and me both, man. i've never even heard of this little chant before this thread.

It's pretty silly, really. The chant as I have heard it goes "Chinese, Japanese, Look at these, dirty knees" When you say "Chinese" you make your eyes slant upwards (like the bball team did) to fit the misconception that Chinese eyes slant upwards, then for "Japanese" you make your eyes slant downwards, again in an attempt to mimic how people think Japanese eyes go, then while you say "look at these dirty knees" for some reason you pull your shirt outward, as if you have breasts. Quite stupid, in and of itself.

This chant was usally accompanied by the "Ching, Chong Chinaman sitting on a fence, trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents" chant, which touches on the stereotype of the Chinese being very frugal and money hungry.

As kids will do, people would get teased for being "different" and back in the pre-pc days of the 1970's ethnic differences (and physical disabilities, like having to wear glasses, or braces, or sit in a wheelchair) were considered fair game. And in spite of Dillinger's insistance that it is always the white man who is under attack when minorities refer to racisim, I recall non-asian kids of all ethnicities, black, latino, native-american, middle-eastern and white, participating in this chant, showing that racisim, however unintended or harmless it may or may not be, is not the exclusive domain of white folks.

EDIT: actually, I should mention that I recently saw the "Chinese, Japanese" chant on Family guy. Peter Griffin did this when he called a Chinese character Japanese and his wife corrected him. I actually found it funny when I heard that after so many years.

Yojimbo
18-Aug-2008, 09:06 PM
Just an update: Jose Calderon, point guard, wrote a response defending the photo as not racist by saying "some of my best friends are of Chinese origin" :lol:

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/sports/olympics/14araton.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

And, apparently it was not just the Spanish mens team. Here is the women's team, from the same ad campaign, and a group photo taken at a dinner, and the Argentinian Woman's Soccer Team:

http://www.angryasianman.com/angry.html

I know the link will lead you to an activist's site, and I am not advocating that websites views, but just thought that these photos were interesting.

Khardis
18-Aug-2008, 09:54 PM
Get over it.

Yojimbo
18-Aug-2008, 09:58 PM
Get over it.

I'll take your suggestion under consideration. :lol:

Bub666
18-Aug-2008, 10:08 PM
Just an update: Jose Calderon, point guard, wrote a response defending the photo as not racist by saying "some of my best friends are of Chinese origin" :lol:

Thats B.S.

Khardis
18-Aug-2008, 10:10 PM
I'll take your suggestion under consideration. :lol:

My girlfriend said to get over it too, she's 100% Chinese.

Yojimbo
18-Aug-2008, 10:23 PM
My girlfriend said to get over it too, she's 100% Chinese.

I don't know what exactly you want me to get over, but I will also take your girlfriend's suggestion under consideration as well. :lol:

Mike70
18-Aug-2008, 10:53 PM
EDIT: actually, I should mention that I recently saw the "Chinese, Japanese" chant on Family guy. Peter Griffin did this when he called a Chinese character Japanese and his wife corrected him. I actually found it funny when I heard that after so many years.

here is a bit of a crazy coincidence. i fired up a family guy episode at random yesterday afternoon and it just happened to be the very one you were talking about.

do i need to get out my tinfoil hat?:lol:

Yojimbo
18-Aug-2008, 10:59 PM
here is a bit of a crazy coincidence. i fired up a family guy episode at random yesterday afternoon and it just happened to be the very one you were talking about.

do i need to get out my tinfoil hat?:lol:

It was probably a coincidence... or maybe...
:::reaching for my own tinfoil hat just in case::::lol:

DubiousComforts
19-Aug-2008, 03:27 AM
I don't know what exactly you want me to get over,
I think his girlfriend wants you to get over the fact that she's 100% Chinese. :D

darth los
19-Aug-2008, 02:11 PM

You mean you've never atleast seen The Devil's Rejects !! For shame man !!

Yojimbo
19-Aug-2008, 04:55 PM
I think his girlfriend wants you to get over the fact that she's 100% Chinese. :D

:lol: :lol::lol::lol: :lol:

On a side note, I think we need a slanty eyed asian smiley.

DubiousComforts
19-Aug-2008, 05:59 PM
I've been trying very hard to forget about that waste of celluloid known as The Devil's Rejects including the talentless 'acting' of the hack director's hack wife.

And she ain't even Chinese. :P

Mike70
19-Aug-2008, 07:23 PM

nope never have. doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

capncnut
19-Aug-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't worry Darth, I gotcha back. TDR is the biggety bomb!

darth los
19-Aug-2008, 08:35 PM
:lol: :lol::lol::lol: :lol:

On a side note, I think we need a slanty eyed asian smiley.

It's funny how it's all good once we have permission. :p

I've been trying very hard to forget about that waste of celluloid known as The Devil's Rejects including the talentless 'acting' of the hack director's hack wife.

And she ain't even Chinese. :P

Yeah, Yeah. Talent, Schmalent. The real question is would you hit it?
I'd certainly break a twenty for that!! :hyper::hyper:

Don't worry Darth, I gotcha back. TDR is the biggety bomb!

Lol. Thnx cap. I 'm into all that texas chaisaw/sadistic family type stuff.

What's funny is that i didn't say make TDR your favorite all time flick. I just asked if he had seen it. Totally different question. Riddle me this: How many movies have you seen that you totally hated? :confused:

Khardis
19-Aug-2008, 08:38 PM

Nah, she just hates asians who give other asians a bad name by pretending theyre asian versions of Al Shapton.

capncnut
19-Aug-2008, 08:40 PM
I'd certainly break a twenty for that!! :hyper:
That's a few twenties you broke here this week. ;)

darth los
19-Aug-2008, 08:42 PM
That's a few twenties you broke here this week. ;)

What can i say? My new gig pays relatively well. And, may i say, it's money well spent!

Ain't that a biotch? That's what you get when you try to slip one past a mod. You're always here!! :lol:

Ima get to work on some new material right away!!

Yojimbo
19-Aug-2008, 10:32 PM
Nah, she just hates asians who give other asians a bad name by pretending theyre asian versions of Al Shapton.

Well, I agree with her and you there, that Al Sharpton is way over the top.

EDIT: I guess that it is impossible to mention something like this and not be considered to be Al Sharpton by some, though I hope that folks would take it in context.

darth los
20-Aug-2008, 01:22 PM
Well, I agree with her and you there, that Al Sharpton is way over the top.

EDIT: I guess that it is impossible to mention something like this and not be considered to be Al Sharpton by some, though I hope that folks would take it in context.

I can think of worse things to be called than a person who refuses to let their people be mistreated. But hey, that's just me i guess.