PDA

View Full Version : man uses $8,000 in coins to buy truck...

Mike70
15-Aug-2008, 12:16 AM
actually the 8 grand in coins (held in 16 coffee cans) was only half the price, the rest he paid by check. apparently this guy has a distrust of paper money and banks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7559881.stm

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 12:54 AM
I would have loved to see the look on the dealer's face. I mean, he had to take the coins, it is currency after all. But who do ya think got was the poor schmuck stuck with the crap job of counting that stuff to make sure it was all there? :annoyed: My money is on the new guy !!

Even lugging that stuff down to a coin counting machine sounds like it might have been a project in itself.

:cool:

Bub666
15-Aug-2008, 04:07 AM
I would have loved to see the look on the dealer's face. I mean, he had to take the coins, it is currency after all. But who do ya think got was the poor schmuck stuck with the crap job of counting that stuff to make sure it was all there? :annoyed: My money is on the new guy !!

Even lugging that stuff down to a coin counting machine sounds like it might have been a project in itself.

:cool:

The new guy always gets the crappy job.:lol:

bassman
15-Aug-2008, 11:57 AM
Like Darth said....it's currency. They have to take it.

When I was younger, hard up for cash, and smoked cigarettes, I bought a pack with change and the guy at the store fought with me about it. At first he said he wouldn't take it but I talked him into it by convincing him that it's still money, and then he said I better not try anything like that again or he would call the cops.:rockbrow:

I just called him a moron and walked out...

EvilNed
15-Aug-2008, 12:01 PM
Same thing happened to a friend of mine when she was gonna take the bus. A ticket was around 40 kronors, (6 bucks, it's not as much as it sounds) and she handed over a 500 kroner bill (80 bucks). The guy wouldn't take it. First time I ever heard anything like that, but hell, it's currency, take it you asshole. Next time I'd pay in stamps, just to piss him off.

Mike70
15-Aug-2008, 12:06 PM
well, at least it wasn't $8,000 in pennies. could you imagine counting that??

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 01:10 PM

Forget that. Imagine having to put them in those 50 cent rolls !!

Next time I'd pay in stamps, just to piss him off.

That would be classic. Take a pic with your phone and post it if that ever happens !

Like Darth said....it's currency. They have to take it.

When I was younger, hard up for cash, and smoked cigarettes, I bought a pack with change and the guy at the store fought with me about it. At first he said he wouldn't take it but I talked him into it by convincing him that it's still money, and then he said I better not try anything like that again or he would call the cops.:rockbrow:

I just called him a moron and walked out...

Nobody really like change i guess. And coupled with the fact that it costs more to make a penny than it's worth and so on it looks as if we might have a changeless future. But then everything will be rounded to even dollar amounts and which way do you think businesses will round, up or down?

The new guy always gets the crappy job.:lol:

Yeah, you know your place at a job by the tasks you're asked to perform. I've just been promoted to G-string contest judge. :thumbsup: So i think i'm pretty high on the totem pole.

Mike70
15-Aug-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, you know your place at a job by the tasks you're asked to perform. I've just been promoted to G-string contest judge. :thumbsup: So i think i'm pretty high on the totem pole.

now if you can work your way up to stunt cock, you'll be sitting high and mighty.:lol:

Neil
15-Aug-2008, 01:25 PM
actually the 8 grand in coins (held in 16 coffee cans) was only half the price, the rest he paid by check. apparently this guy has a distrust of paper money and banks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7559881.stm

Was that a brand new truck? For that amount of money? No way!

DjfunkmasterG
15-Aug-2008, 01:56 PM
Neil when you buy in cash... you would be surprised at how much of a discount you get.

My 1999 Mustang GT stickered for $23,900 because it was a cash deal I got for $17,650, that included the Ford X Plan discount.

My Brand new 1988 Mustang LX 5.0 was an $11,000 sticker and I walked off the lot with that for just over $8000.00 with a 6yr extended warranty.

When dealers have to deal with Banks they have top set a price plus an interest rate that earns them money as well as the bank money. With Cash, they can really come through. :shifty:

Bub666
15-Aug-2008, 02:24 PM

If I was ask to count $8,000 in pennies,I'd quit.

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 03:11 PM
The bottom line is that change is money too. What are we supossed to do? Have it and not use it? It's not like they're condoms. :cool:

Yojimbo
15-Aug-2008, 05:43 PM
This reminds me of a NPR segment I heard the other day ago about some family that has been collecting change they find on the ground for the past few years, and they were able to collect over $1,000.00

Apparently they always carry around a bag and a squirt bottle of Purell wherever they go, and they pick up pennies and odd change while they are walking around town, on the floor in a store, etc.

Neil
15-Aug-2008, 05:46 PM
Neil when you buy in cash... you would be surprised at how much of a discount you get.

My 1999 Mustang GT stickered for $23,900 because it was a cash deal I got for $17,650, that included the Ford X Plan discount.

My Brand new 1988 Mustang LX 5.0 was an $11,000 sticker and I walked off the lot with that for just over $8000.00 with a 6yr extended warranty.

When dealers have to deal with Banks they have top set a price plus an interest rate that earns them money as well as the bank money. With Cash, they can really come through. :shifty:
Jesus H ******* Christ that is cheap!!!!!

Why the hell do we have to pay basically twice what you pay for cars?? A brand new car for about £9000? Yet alone a sports car!!

darth los
15-Aug-2008, 05:50 PM
I guess that's the price you pay for a having a good economy.

Neil
15-Aug-2008, 07:51 PM
I guess that's the price you pay for a having a good economy.

Ahhh... Ummm... TBH I don't really know what the answer is...

Let's look at two examples...

The MG Roadster that was made here. An old school V8 convertible that sold I think for about £40,000... It was make in the UK and when shipped to Japan (around the other side of the f***** planet) suddenly cost about -£15,000 more... That's right, shipping it to the other side of the planet somehow made it £15,000 cheaper?!!?

Now let's swap the direction. The new Nissan GT. About £25,000 in Japan... ship it to the UK, and now it's £50,000...

Something very odd is going on at sea, to cause these odd numbers in the accounts...